• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: humbleopinion on October 15, 2019, 07:29:25 PM
According to ML this evening at the Meet and Greet, the game day experience should be different this year.  Among the things he mentioned are a greater diversity of music, use of the jumbotron better to support the flow of the game (implicitly limiting or eliminating ads), better concessions, and bringing back halftime entertainment.

I'm sure several posters were at the Meet and Greet and would love to hear their impressions of the players.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on October 16, 2019, 08:04:41 AMI'm sure several posters were at the Meet and Greet and would love to hear their impressions of the players.

There really was no demonstration of skills at the Meet and Greet with the exception of social skills as the players shook hands with all the guests as we entered the ARC.  We filed in, met the teams, had some food while some videos played, saw the new introduction videos for the teams, ML talked about the changes discussed above, the players were introduced, a couple fans challenged players in a free throw contest, and door prizes were announced. There was no scrimmage, no dunk contest, and no open practice for evaluation.
Beamin' Beacons

crusader05

I've heard after last year both coaches are really not interested in any athletic show that risks injury that's not practice or game so that doesn't surprise me.

VUBBFan

Quote from: vu72 on October 16, 2019, 08:04:41 AMI'm sure several posters were at the Meet and Greet and would love to hear their impressions of the players.
The event was scaled back a bit from the previous year and was truly a meet and greet of the players and coaches. I spoke at least a little to all the players and they seemed happy to be at Valpo ( of course they would put their best foot forward in this public venue, but it appeared to be genuine ).

Asked Sigurd and Emil about when they were first recruited because some people were saying they were desperate last minute pickups because of the transfers. They said someone from Valpo came and visited them last December and expressed interest in them then. So someone from Valpo must have been making a tour of Europe back then. Krikke said he was first contacted at the beginning of the year.

Could tell Nick and Zion are really good friends. Zion said the main reason he came here was because of Nick and Nick took credit that he recruited him here. They seem to bring a lot of enthusiasm. Last night and other meeting I've had with them, they keep saying they're going to win a lot of MVC games and are going for the championship. They truly appear to believe that and not just giving it lip service.

Talked to Javon about him coming back and his Mother. He seemed much more comfortable and happy being here. Says he's been working hard the past off season to improve his game. With his determination I'm sure he will be a very special player this season.

Spoke to Donovan and asked him where his nick name of Choppo came from. Said back in High School people started saying that when he shot threes and it stuck. He's listed as 6'7" but I was skeptical about that from seeing him. He confirmed he's actually somewhat over 6'8" now.

Told Eron Gordon how much we enjoy seeing his E Series Vlog and to keep it up for a behind the back look of Valpo Basketball.

Overall it was an enjoyable evening and insightful for those who wanted to interact. Again this group really seems to be a very happy cohesive group that is bought into the One Team - One Boat theme for this year. Can't wait to see how it all turns out starting this Saturday. #GoValpo.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on October 16, 2019, 12:10:24 PM

The event was scaled back a bit from the previous year and was truly a meet and greet of the players and coaches. I spoke at least a little to all the players and they seemed happy to be at Valpo ( of course they would put their best foot forward in this public venue, but it appeared to be genuine ).

Asked Sigurd and Emil about when they were first recruited because some people were saying they were desperate last minute pickups because of the transfers. They said someone from Valpo came and visited them last December and expressed interest in them then. So someone from Valpo must have been making a tour of Europe back then. Krikke said he was first contacted at the beginning of the year.

Could tell Nick and Zion are really good friends. Zion said the main reason he came here was because of Nick and Nick took credit that he recruited him here. They seem to bring a lot of enthusiasm. Last night and other meeting I've had with them, they keep saying they're going to win a lot of MVC games and are going for the championship. They truly appear to believe that and not just giving it lip service.

Talked to Javon about him coming back and his Mother. He seemed much more comfortable and happy being here. Says he's been working hard the past off season to improve his game. With his determination I'm sure he will be a very special player this season.

Spoke to Donovan and asked him where his nick name of Choppo came from. Said back in High School people started saying that when he shot threes and it stuck. He's listed as 6'7" but I was skeptical about that from seeing him. He confirmed he's actually somewhat over 6'8" now.

Told Eron Gordon how much we enjoy seeing his E Series Vlog and to keep it up for a behind the back look of Valpo Basketball.

Overall it was an enjoyable evening and insightful for those who wanted to interact. Again this group really seems to be a very happy cohesive group that is bought into the One Team - One Boat theme for this year. Can't wait to see how it all turns out starting this Saturday. #GoValpo.

Thanks for sharing VUBBFan, great insight for those of us unable to attend.  Donovan skill set at 6'8" reminds me of E Victor Nickerson minus the injury problems coming to VU.  He could easily guard the C position with that size, no?  Only saying that because we are thin guarding our opponents bigs.  I think playing him at C would be wasteful long term, because he clearly has SF athleticism and maybe even G?  We want players that are difficult to match up with, and Clay running SF and even G at times could be intriguing.

Did they play him out of position in high-school like most kids with size?

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 16, 2019, 12:37:39 PMThanks for sharing VUBBFan, great insight for those of us unable to attend.  Donovan skill set at 6'8" reminds me of E Victor Nickerson minus the injury problems coming to VU.  He could easily guard the C position with that size, no?  Only saying that because we are thin guarding our opponents bigs.  I think playing him at C would be wasteful long term, because he clearly has SF athleticism and maybe even G?  We want players that are difficult to match up with, and Clay running SF and even G at times could be intriguing.Did they play him out of position in high-school like most kids with size?

I don't know what he played in High School, but I think he grew 2+ inches from the beginning or just before his senior year. Don't know about him playing center, but I think he could work out at power forward. Handles the ball very well is quick and very athletic. Currently I think he needs to work on getting a consistent jump shot. When he get that going he's going to be very good. Still is a freshman so hard to gauge, but there certainly seems to be a lot of promise.

I project Mileek as our starting center, if he can keep out of foul trouble he's going to be good. Emil is still a little green and Ben lacks some bulk for center play, but are not lumbering giants. I expect we will see a much faster pace to our game this year.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 16, 2019, 12:37:39 PM
Quote from: VUBBFan on October 16, 2019, 12:10:24 PM

Thanks for sharing VUBBFan, great insight for those of us unable to attend.  Donovan skill set at 6'8" reminds me of E Victor Nickerson minus the injury problems coming to VU.  He could easily guard the C position with that size, no?  Only saying that because we are thin guarding our opponents bigs.  I think playing him at C would be wasteful long term, because he clearly has SF athleticism and maybe even G?  We want players that are difficult to match up with, and Clay running SF and even G at times could be intriguing.

Did they play him out of position in high-school like most kids with size?
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 16, 2019, 12:37:39 PMDid they play him out of position in high-school like most kids with size?

I find it interesting to think of college kids as "still growing".  I recall Alec Peters growing an inch or so after coming to Valpo and the most recent commit has said that he has grow some since last year as well.  I watched a few of Donovan's games and he played all over the place, mostly defending the best player on the other team.  He can guard the 5 because he will be much quicker than the typical center.

We can play "big" with a group out on the floor like Donovan at 6'8", Ben at 6'9", Mileek at 6'8", Ryan at 6'8" and Javon at 6'3 or 4.  Of course two of our best players are Nick at 6'5" and Eron at 6'3".  I'm excited to see the athleticism and various combos available this year now that the twin 7'ers are doing other things.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on October 16, 2019, 01:16:54 PMWe can play "big" with a group out on the floor like Donovan at 6'8", Ben at 6'9", Mileek at 6'8", Ryan at 6'8" and Javon at 6'3 or 4. 

I know it is fun to speculate but I doubt if we ever see this 5 on the floor together. It has no point guard and Donovan and Ryan will likely play only limited minutes at the 3 position. If you put Nick at the point then maybe we could start thinking about a "big" lineup but even then it might only be used in special situations.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on October 16, 2019, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: vu72 on October 16, 2019, 01:16:54 PMWe can play "big" with a group out on the floor like Donovan at 6'8", Ben at 6'9", Mileek at 6'8", Ryan at 6'8" and Javon at 6'3 or 4.

I know it is fun to speculate but I doubt if we ever see this 5 on the floor together. It has no point guard and Donovan and Ryan will likely play only limited minutes at the 3 position. If you put Nick at the point then maybe we could start thinking about a "big" lineup but even then it might only be used in special situations.

Don't disagree however Matt is/has tried Javon at the point.  Then you could have Mileek at the 5, Ben at the 4, Ryan at the 3 and Donovan at the 2(?)  He did shoot over 35% from the 3 last year.  I'm guessing the actual starting 5 will be Mileek at the 5, Ryan at the 4, Nick at the 3, Javon at the 2 and Daniel at the point.  Next 5: Siggie at the point, Eron at the 2, Ben at the 5, Donovan at the 3 and John at the 4.  But what the heck do I know!!! :rotfl:

SanityLost17

Just glanced through Twitter to see a lot of the interview answers from players/coaches via Paul and Osipoff(spelling?) leading up to the scrimmage.

I swear....  It is like every player/coach finds a way to subtly but not very discretely say, "last year we had a bunch of pricks on our team, thankfully they all left, and we are ready to roll." 

I mean they don't exactly SAY that....but they definitely SAY that....and it's like everyone is on repeat.  You know what I mean?   

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: SanityLost17 on October 16, 2019, 05:05:53 PM
Just glanced through Twitter to see a lot of the interview answers from players/coaches via Paul and Osipoff(spelling?) leading up to the scrimmage.

I swear....  It is like every player/coach finds a way to subtly but not very discretely say, "last year we had a bunch of pricks on our team, thankfully they all left, and we are ready to roll." 

I mean they don't exactly SAY that....but they definitely SAY that....and it's like everyone is on repeat.  You know what I mean?

And the more they hint like that the more pressure is on to prove they weren't a big part of the problem too.

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 16, 2019, 05:24:46 PM

And the more they hint like that the more pressure is on to prove they weren't a big part of the problem too.

The fact that returning players and coaches share the same opinion and are willing to discuss it publicly tells me all I need to know about last year's problem children. Good riddance for the 50th time.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on October 16, 2019, 03:49:21 PMDon't disagree however Matt is/has tried Javon at the point.  Then you could have Mileek at the 5, Ben at the 4, Ryan at the 3 and Donovan at the 2(?)  He did shoot over 35% from the 3 last year.  I'm guessing the actual starting 5 will be Mileek at the 5, Ryan at the 4, Nick at the 3, Javon at the 2 and Daniel at the point.  Next 5: Siggie at the point, Eron at the 2, Ben at the 5, Donovan at the 3 and John at the 4.

Zion will get significant playing time too. I'm just not certain where? Maybe equally divided at the 1, 2, and 3?

Quote from: wh on October 16, 2019, 06:02:07 PMThe fact that returning players and coaches share the same opinion and are willing to discuss it publicly tells me all I need to know about last year's problem children. Good riddance for the 50th time.

"Good riddance" might be a bit extreme for some of them.  ;) But we get your point!  :thumbsup:

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on October 16, 2019, 06:02:07 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 16, 2019, 05:24:46 PM

The fact that returning players and coaches share the same opinion and are willing to discuss it publicly tells me all I need to know about last year's problem children. Good riddance for the 50th time.

Lottich seems very happy to be rid of the warts he inherited and to have a roster of guys he recruited.  Now that he has "team first" guys that he loves, let's see if that translates to a few more wins.

IrishDawg

Quote from: wh on October 16, 2019, 06:55:19 PM
Freeman-Liberty ready to lead Valpo

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/freeman-liberty-ready-to-lead-valpo/article_59b00c92-3f07-5a31-b5df-fccc1362c5d2.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

"I definitely don't want to sit out. I think that was the main reason, just the sitting out part. But then again, there's nothing wrong with Valparaiso. My mom is five minutes away, so it's just like I'm still home."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but the important thing is he came back.

In terms of the transfers, Smits has said that he's glad he won't need to be the main focus of the offense anymore, so it might be one of those things where it's best for everyone to move on from what was obviously a challenging season.  It's also a lot easier to be nice to each other when nothing's going wrong.  If this Valpo team struggles at a certain point in the year, I think that's when we'll really see if the team bands together or falls apart.

VUGrad1314

That couldn't be a more tepid endorsement... At least he's back but I'll reserve judgment on whether this team has truly bought in to Matt... Of course it doesn't really matter because he's probably getting a contract extension anyway...

FieldGoodie05

I'm really looking forward to a USH podcast on pre-season over/under by Paul and Todd.  I'm also well aware that Paul does this as a passion project and likely doesn't earn (no sponsors that I recall) but just putting this into the ethos.

I don't know his download or subscription numbers but this VU fan thoroughly appreciates his efforts and looks forward to the next pod.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on October 17, 2019, 05:52:09 AM
That couldn't be a more tepid endorsement... At least he's back but I'll reserve judgment on whether this team has truly bought in to Matt... Of course it doesn't really matter because he's probably getting a contract extension anyway...

I agree, it didn't leave us feeling he had a strong desire to be at VU.  But after a chaotic season like that, what 18/19 year old is prepared to deal with that?  I think we are extraordinarily fortunate that the reset button was hit so effectively with some transfers and players like Sackey and Javon staying to be part of something bigger than themselves.  I would probably have been 51% stay / 49% leave if I was part of that chaos too.

I'll let Javon do his real talking in games this year.  I'm excited that we have this much to look forward to after a season from hell.  I think that Canada trip was about as well timed as any I've seen from VU in years past.  The confidence heading into the season is ramped up and I'm looking forward to going to the game on Saturday.  I'd still predict we end up 1-5 games over .500 though, we still have to prove we can score effectively without a post presence AND from deep.

vu72

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on October 17, 2019, 09:48:06 AMwe still have to prove we can score effectively without a post presence

Did we have one last year?  We have plenty of size and will be MUCH more athletic (and fast).

vu72

Well we got the rest of the conference right where we want them!  OVER CONFIDENT!!  Valpo's Men's team picked 9th and Women's picked 8th!  Bring em on!!!

In spite of this we do have two guys on the All-Conference 2nd team in Ryan and Javon!  Congrats to them!!

valpolaw

I'm really interested to see whether this "team first" concept Lottich has deployed in his statements and recruiting players translates to actual wins and an improvement from last year.  I certainly hope it does.  If it does not, I'm going to feel like we were all sold a bunch of feel good type statements and need to change the direction we're heading.

wh

As I recall, Javon was the first (or second) of the 5 players who announced they were transferring.  Only after all the others announced they were leaving did he reverse course.  Had they stayed, he wouldn't be a Crusader right now; thus, we're fortunate to have him back at all. Moreover, his mom and uncle probably told him what I would have told him, which is,'You need to play, not sit, to get better.  The chemistry killers have left the program. You know you're going to start and play huge minutes. And, next year's team has a chance to be much better and more fun to be part of. Give it another year and see what happens.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't, you're certain to have more options than you have right now.'

Does returning under these circumstances call for anything more than tepid positivity?   

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on October 17, 2019, 12:05:52 PM

As I recall, Javon was the first (or second) of the 5 players who announced they were transferring.  Only after all the others announced they were leaving did he reverse course.  Had they stayed, he wouldn't be a Crusader right now; thus, we're fortunate to have him back at all. Moreover, his mom and uncle probably told him what I would have told him, which is,'You need to play, not sit, to get better.  The chemistry killers have left the program. You know you're going to start and play huge minutes. And, next year's team has a chance to be much better and more fun to be part of. Give it another year and see what happens.  If it works out, great.  If it doesn't, you're certain to have more options than you have right now.'

Does returning under these circumstances call for anything more than tepid positivity?

I thought Paul or the radio guy made a veiled reference that he really didn't want to transfer.  Makes you wonder if people close to him were suggesting/recommending that he take a look around?  In any case, I still consider him a flight risk ... I hope he's not on pace to graduate in 3 years (assuming the grad transfer rule stays in place).

crusader05

I think the vibe was that Javon didn't dislike the coach or the program but was getting wooed by big ten programs and felt like he needed to check them out.

I also think it's hard to read too much into his comments as depending on inflection that could mean a lot.
"There's nothing wrong with Valpo" could sound like weak praise or it could be a strong statement that he never felt that Valpo was a bad place or program and so he didn't want to leave the program because of something that existed here. He did state he was unhappy but also seemed to recognize that some of that was situation and him learning how to adjust to all the changes. I will say that I've see him interact with Coach Lottich and they have always seemed to have a strong relationship.