• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

If  guys like Brook Lopez Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka can learn to shoot threes semi competently Krutwig can. Even Joel Embiid can hit corner threes. of course that's not a good comparison because of size but still. I'm not saying he should do it while in college but the most important thing you need to be able to do as a five man is be a willing and able passer in the post and be able to rebound. Size could be an issue but I didn't say he'd be a star or even get drafted just that i think he would get some looks and draw some attention from scouts.

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 14, 2020, 08:28:04 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 14, 2020, 05:30:57 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 02:43:05 PMIt's not just how transfers affect us but also our conference opponents. I'd be willing to bet the B10 boys are circling for Krutwig. Bo Ryan would've made him an All American in his day.

And what would be the incentive for Krutwig to leave? He went to the Final 4 as a Freshman for Christ's sake. He's probably going to get NBA looks regardless of where he plays even in this changed NBA because he can pass as well as score in the post. He's a bit more towards the throwback side of the spectrum when it comes to big men but his game could play in the modern game in the right system.

I haven't watched NBA basketball consistently since the days of the Detroit Pistons "bad boys" teams with Dumars and Thomas.  So I'm certainly no expert, but since when does an undersized post player with no proven 3-pt range make it to the NBA?

Krutwig 6'9"

Charles Barkley,  Post player who occasionally played center.  6'6".

VUGrad1314

Point taken but different era to be fair.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2020, 08:44:38 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 02:43:05 PMIt's not just how transfers affect us but also our conference opponents. I'd be willing to bet the B10 boys are circling for Krutwig. Bo Ryan would've made him an All American in his day.

And what would be the incentive for Krutwig to leave? He went to the Final 4 as a Freshman for Christ's sake. He's probably going to get NBA looks regardless of where he plays even in this changed NBA because he can pass as well as score in the post. He's a bit more towards the throwback side of the spectrum when it comes to big men but his game could play in the modern game in the right system.

I haven't watched NBA basketball consistently since the days of the Detroit Pistons "bad boys" teams with Dumars and Thomas.  So I'm certainly no expert, but since when does an undersized post player with no proven 3-pt range make it to the NBA?

Krutwig 6'9"

Charles Barkley,  Post player who occasionally played center.  6'6".

Decades ago....

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 15, 2020, 01:44:12 AM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2020, 08:44:38 PM
Krutwig 6'9" Charles Barkley,  Post player who occasionally played center.  6'6".
Decades ago....

Since Barkley.

NativeCheesehead

Well, if we win in St. Louis,
I'll likely end the night kicked out of somewhere. So the comment stands.  :thumbsup:

valpo84

Krutwig is no Charles Barkley. To understand what Barkley was coming out of college catch the documentary that shows up on NBA TV from time to time about the 1984 Draft Class. It's very instructive on what the NBA was like in the 1980s-early 1990s versus the whatever unwatchable product the NBA is today.  Not to go too far on a tangent, but because Krutwig is a 4-year player, and has a good skillset, he looks better in contrast to many players who are younger, less experienced, haven't developed yet.  There are many things to fix about NBA and NCAA, but 1984 NCAA hoops was a completely different game when you had an UNC team of Jordan, Daugherty, Doherty, Kenny Smith and Sam Perkins on the court (with Buzz Peterson, Cecil Exum (yes that Exum family) and Joe Wolf on the bench), many in their 3d or 4th years.  The National Champion team was Patrick Ewing (senior), Reggie Williams and David Wingate. Houston was Phi Slama Jamma with Akeem.  Virginia had Olden Polynice and Rick Carlisle.  Even Kentucky had twin towers in Sam Bowie and "Dinner Bell" Melvin Turpin.  The Region's own Dan Dakich was one of only 2 people to hold Jordan under 20 in the NCAA tourney game (Dean Smith was the other).

Krutwig will have a fine career in Europe.  He is a good post player in the MVC.  He actually is comparable to KVW.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Just Sayin

Barring injury, Krutwig will play in the NBA.

FieldGoodie05

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on January 15, 2020, 01:30:05 PMKrutwig will have a fine career in Europe.  He is a good post player in the MVC.  He actually is comparable to KVW.

The freshman Krutwig was more mobile, more versatile, and almost as knowledgeable as the senior KVW. His maturity was shocking!

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 15, 2020, 04:18:24 PMBarring injury, Krutwig will play in the NBA.

Yes. He will receive some long looks. First round?  ??? but pretty close.

Just Sayin

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 15, 2020, 04:35:53 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 15, 2020, 04:18:24 PMBarring injury, Krutwig will play in the NBA.
Convince us?

All players with significant minutes (For single seasons; from 2016-17 to 2019-20; requiring Minutes Played Per Game >= 25 and Games >= 15; sorted by descending Player Efficiency Rating the last three years) puts Cameron:

PER 37                          Bagley 33; Grant Williams 32;
BPM 21                         Trae Young 19; Bagley 29
OffRtg  68                     Teske 71; Morant 62
DefRtg 13                      Happ 10; Zion W. Duke 16

valpotx

He will play in Europe.  I don't see the NBA happening for him.  He is a thicker KVW.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2020, 05:02:10 PMHe will play in Europe.  I don't see the NBA happening for him.  He is a thicker KVW.

Time will tell. If he keeps those numbers in that range or better the rest of this year and improved numbers next year, why wouldn't he go to the NBA?

justducky

With a few 3s dropping Sackey is now up to 27.9 %, McMillan to 28.3%, and Krikke to 31.6%. If Daniel could get to a consistent 30% I would declare victory but McMillan and Krikke should be closer to 35%. Longer term no reason Ben couldn't get to the high 30's. I like his form.

JFL now with 59 assists vs 42 TO's for a 1.40 ratio. That isn't great for a point guard but more than ok for a 2 guard. Nick, John, Zion, Daniel and Donovan are all in that 1.55 to 1.35 general area and they have brought our team numbers up substantially. By contrast AJ Green sits at 1.06 which suggests either flawed passing or a shoot first mentality. JFL is the only Valley player with more steals than fouls and has very little company with more steals (45) than TO's (42).

VUGrad1314

Quote from: justducky on January 16, 2020, 04:36:47 PMWith a few 3s dropping Sackey is now up to 27.9 %, McMillan to 28.3%, and Krikke to 31.6%. If Daniel could get to a consistent 30% I would declare victory but McMillan and Krikke should be closer to 35%. Longer term no reason Ben couldn't get to the high 30's. I like his form. JFL now with 59 assists vs 42 TO's for a 1.40 ratio. That isn't great for a point guard but more than ok for a 2 guard. Nick, John, Zion, Daniel and Donovan are all in that 1.55 to 1.35 general area and they have brought our team numbers up substantially. By contrast AJ Green sits at 1.06 which suggests either flawed passing or a shoot first mentality. JFL is the only Valley player with more steals than fouls and has very little company with more steals (45) than TO's (42).

Agreed on the shooters especially Daniel and Ben. As for Green,I think Green is very much a shoot first player. UNI counts on him to take over and his ability to do so is key to their success. I am amazed that JFL's A\TO is higher than Green's. Just another feather in his cap to underscore how special he is. Again he is the better all around player than Green and would get my vote in an even up player of the year competition.

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 15, 2020, 04:59:53 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 15, 2020, 04:35:53 PM
Convince us?
All players with significant minutes (For single seasons; from 2016-17 to 2019-20; requiring Minutes Played Per Game >= 25 and Games >= 15; sorted by descending Player Efficiency Rating the last three years) puts Cameron: PER 37                          Bagley 33; Grant Williams 32; BPM 21                         Trae Young 19; Bagley 29 OffRtg  68                     Teske 71; Morant 62 DefRtg 13                      Happ 10; Zion W. Duke 16

To be fair, with the exception of Morant (who should have been playing against MVC competition anyway) those comps are doing it against MUCH BETTER COMPETITION than we face in the MVC. As great a league as it is, it can't hold a candle to the ACC Big 10 or Big XII

Just Sayin

We'll just have to wait and see whether Krutwig makes the NBA. A lot can happen from now to the end of next year. All of this is merely speculation at this point. 

oklahomamick

No way Krutwig plays in the NBA.  The NBA is played at the 3 point line and above the rim.  He has neither of those.  Just not athletic enough.  Great college player though.   
CRUSADERS!!!

Just Sayin

vu72

Krutwig reminds me somewhat to Matt Howard at Butler.  Matt was 6'8" 230# and a much better athlete.  A GREAT player and didn't make it in the NBA.  Neither will Krutwig.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

Quote from: vu72 on January 17, 2020, 10:03:55 AM
Krutwig reminds me somewhat to Matt Howard at Butler.  Matt was 6'8" 230# and a much better athlete.  A GREAT player and didn't make it in the NBA.  Neither will Krutwig.

To be fair, Howard was actually more like 6'6, but Howard by his senior year could shoot from the outside and he didn't even get a combine invite.

oklahomamick

Alec Peters did though  ;D
CRUSADERS!!!

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 14, 2020, 09:11:47 AM
Quote from: 4throwfan on January 14, 2020, 08:56:21 AM
1314, liked your post, however, there is one thing that you should prepare yourself for: transfers.  I forgot the exact math figures, but the bottom line is that, on average, 3-4 players from every team in the NCAA will transfer.  If Valpo has two transfers (ones that hurt), it will be doing two better than the average, and we can't complain.  But, the transfers will at first be painful.

My only point is that we, as fans, should be mentally/emotionally prepared for that.

I only point this out because of your pointing out what VU will have next year.

I understand the numbers, but I really doubt we'll see mass departures like last season.  As usual, 5th year guys (Morgan, Gordon, Robinson) are the highest risk since they are basically "free agents" who can play immediately elsewhere.  In any case, this team seems really well connected, unlike last season, so I think that will limit transfers.   :twocents:

Just like this Valpo MBB team has a lot of potential for quality there is also a lot of potential for off season transfers.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpotx on January 15, 2020, 05:02:10 PM
He will play in Europe.  I don't see the NBA happening for him.  He is a thicker KVW.

Switching back and forth between NFL playoff and Loyola/Illinois St. game, I've changed my mind about Krutwig. While he has some great stats, he just doesn't pass the eye test. 

He's not NBA ready yet. I doubt he will ever be.   

wh

Just bought 3 tickets for the upcoming Loyola game, and felt fortunate to get them. There were no tickets available in Sect 102 (chairbacks behind the Valpo bench) and only 7 available in Sect 202 (upper level bleachers). Most sections around the court are completely sold out. Based on a quick look at their online seating chart, I would guess they are within 50 or so of a complete sellout.