• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUBBFan

VULB#62

We should go to Norway, Denmark and maybe Sweden or Holland. Two games in each country.

But it's a bummer that so many are going abroad. It kinda dilutes the benefits for the season that follows cuz instead of being the only team with 6 or so games under their belt before the college season Valpo starts even up with four other MVC schools who also  benefited from those trips.

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 06, 2019, 11:55:33 AM
We should go to Norway, Denmark and maybe Sweden or Holland. Two games in each country.

But it's a bummer that so many are going abroad. It kinda dilutes the benefits for the season that follows cuz instead of being the only team with 6 or so games under their belt before the college season Valpo starts even up with four other MVC schools who also  benefited from those trips.

Basketball programs can only take 1 oversees trip every 4 years.  I'm surprised that 5 of 10 MVC programs are eligible in the same year.

vuny98

Quote from: wh on May 06, 2019, 12:30:51 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 06, 2019, 11:55:33 AMWe should go to Norway, Denmark and maybe Sweden or Holland. Two games in each country. But it's a bummer that so many are going abroad. It kinda dilutes the benefits for the season that follows cuz instead of being the only team with 6 or so games under their belt before the college season Valpo starts even up with four other MVC schools who also  benefited from those trips.
Basketball programs can only take 1 oversees trip every 4 years.  I'm surprised that 5 of 10 MVC programs are eligible in the same year. .

What a great year for Valpo to be eligible for it though. With all the new faces and new look the team will have, will be great to have several practice games under our belt going into the season and help work out a good rotation.

VU2014

VU2014

Did Valpo add a coach to the staff? Or are they referring to the women's team with Dani Franklin?

https://twitter.com/hoopgrouprunner/status/1126466312706895874?s=21

valpopal

[tweet]1127982823661424642[/tweet]

VALPO LI

This is a good get.  I like it!!!
The Antelopes were 20-14 last year 10-6 in the WAC with a NET Ranking of 104.
Shine on Vu

VUBBFan

Bracket for the Jam.

VALPO LI

Looks like the birds got into the more competitive bracket though but I still like the possibility of playing Nevada if we win our first game which I believe we can.
Shine on Vu

vu72

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 13, 2019, 12:58:36 PM
Looks like the birds got into the more competitive bracket though but I still like the possibility of playing Nevada if we win our first game which I believe we can.

Nevada should be awful.  They will almost an entirely new roster.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 13, 2019, 12:58:36 PMLooks like the birds got into the more competitive bracket though but I still like the possibility of playing Nevada if we win our first game which I believe we can.
Would also love to see Ill State beat Cincinnati after seeing their fan base bash and berate the other teams in the tournament as losers and unworthy opponents to them.

VALPO LI

Quote from: vu72 on May 13, 2019, 01:23:34 PM

Sounds all to familiar especially 3 weeks ago.  Perhaps that is why we are in the same bracket.   
Shine on Vu

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on May 13, 2019, 01:23:34 PM

I like the draw.  Valpo has a great chance to get through to the finals.

justducky

The brackets do look interesting but until I know what we have I will refrain from commenting about our possible opponents.

I remain cautiously optimistic for Lorange, Krikke, and Freese-Vilien but that is long term only. For 19-20 I just can't see them carrying much of the load. If that proves correct then our best case is largely dependent on Fazekas, Freeman, Gordon and Robinson. Do the talents of those 4 place our best case NET at maybe 110 to 140? Looks to me like big freshman contributions will be required just to tread water. Worst-case? I don't even want to think about it.  :'(

vu72

Quote from: justducky on May 13, 2019, 02:05:50 PM
The brackets do look interesting but until I know what we have I will refrain from commenting about our possible opponents.

I remain cautiously optimistic for Lorange, Krikke, and Freese-Vilien but that is long term only. For 19-20 I just can't see them carrying much of the load. If that proves correct then our best case is largely dependent on Fazekas, Freeman, Gordon and Robinson. Do the talents of those 4 place our best case NET at maybe 110 to 140? Looks to me like big freshman contributions will be required just to tread water. Worst-case? I don't even want to think about it.  :'(

You are correct in that is "sight unseen" at this point. Having said that, I do expect positive contributions from the freshman, particularly Lorange--who has played and contributed  for several years internationally an is a scoring points-- and Krikke, who is a matchup problem with his size and shooting.  Freese-Vilien looks like a wait and see project and that is why we need a big who is experienced--and able to stay on the floor more than Mileek.  If healthy, I like relying on the four you mentioned to lead the way.  They all are "seniors" age wise.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I will be in St. Thomas from Aug. 22nd through the end of Sept. - so close to Jam time, yet so far.  If anyone wants advice on where to stay, what to do, places to eat, best place to rent a car, driving on the left (lol), etc., let me know. I know STT about as well as Valpo.   

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on May 13, 2019, 02:05:50 PM

I agree that we really can't expect significant contributions from the freshman, if we can get Freeman/Walker numbers from one of them it will be a huge bonus.  I DO expect to see major contributions from Gordon and Robinson. Both of these players were highly rated coming out of high school and should be hungry to prove themselves.  If Robinson plays anything like he did at the end of his sophomore season
QuoteFrom St Joseph Biol: Received the Robert O'Neill Award as the team's Most Improved Player... Averaged 7.7 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game... Averaged 9.5 points and 5.7 rebounds in A-10 contests... Shot a team-best 83.9 percent from the foul line in conference games... Scored double figures in the final seven games of the season, averaging 14.1 points and 7.1 rebounds during that stretch, while shooting 58 percent from the field...  Recorded game-high 14 points on 4-of-9 shooting from the floor and added nine rebounds in the Atlantic 10 quarterfinal win over George Mason... Poured in career-high 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting from the floor and added eight rebounds in win over Richmond... Recorded first career double-double with 16 points and career-high 11 rebounds in win over Duquesne.
he should be a huge contributor for this team and a very good MVC player on both ends of the court.  IMHO Fazekas, Freeman, Gordon and Robinson are much better options than anything we had last year surrounding Smits or Sorolla. Please give me some context as to why you think these players are just treading water compared to last years group.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on May 13, 2019, 07:17:21 PMIMHO Fazekas, Freeman, Gordon and Robinson are much better options than anything we had last year surrounding Smits or Sorolla. Please give me some context as to why you think these players are just treading water compared to last years group.

I'm looking at the net effect of the individual contributions. Yes Robinson and Gordon should be better than Golder and Evelyn but unless they can hit 3 pointers the improvement might be only marginal. Then replace 40 minutes of 7 foot junior play with freshman or McMillan play and you'll get where I'm going. As is we must stay healthy and have no major newcomer disappointments. Only then might we contend for the top half of the Valley.

We will need a lot from Zion Morgan and Donovan Clay. Maybe that happens and maybe it doesn't.

Should we schedule the foreign trip for this summer or next? I could make good arguments for either option.

vu72

Looks like Vandy is coming to town!  Or at least an SEC team.  Mark L just announced that next week they will announce home games for teams from the MAC, A-10 and SEC!!

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on May 14, 2019, 09:05:13 AMI'm looking at the net effect of the individual contributions. Yes Robinson and Gordon should be better than Golder and Evelyn but unless they can hit 3 pointers the improvement might be only marginal. Then replace 40 minutes of 7 foot junior play with freshman or McMillan play and you'll get where I'm going. As is we must stay healthy and have no major newcomer disappointments. Only then might we contend for the top half of the Valley.
I am sorry, thought that you were mainly talking about the 1-4 positions that I think will have increased depth and talent. I agree that the 5 is a hole in the new roster that will be difficult for us to fill if Sorolla does not come back. I don't like McMillan at the 5, he will be much better at the 4, so that could potentially put a lot of pressure on the hope that Freese-Vilien is ready for the physicality of the DI game that the coaches seem to think he has shown in the Denmark professional basketball league.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VALPO LI

Quote from: vu72 on May 14, 2019, 02:11:22 PM
Looks like Vandy is coming to town!  Or at least an SEC team.  Mark L just announced that next week they will announce home games for teams from the MAC, A-10 and SEC!!

My guess
MAC - Ball State.
(Some say we will play in Muncie next year).
A-10 - George Washington (return game).
SEC - Vanderbilt
Shine on Vu

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VALPO LI on May 14, 2019, 07:58:56 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 14, 2019, 02:11:22 PM

My guess
MAC - Ball State.
(Some say we will play in Muncie next year).
A-10 - George Washington (return game).
SEC - Vanderbilt

I agree with your logic.  At first I thought not BSU again, they'd never play us 4-years in a row.......

Then I looked at the schedules back to 2012/13 (last year we didn't play BSU).  That's six years consecutive and this coming season would make seven!