• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on July 30, 2019, 09:14:13 PM
Giving back to the community. Sometimes there's more to life than Basketball.

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1156355043995656192

www.urbanfaithworks.com

OPERATING GOD'S CHILDREN'S HOUSE

Welcome to Urban Faith Works

Pouring God's love on Gary's youth and families, and helping them make responsible choices for a productive life and future.

Urban Faith Works operates in a building our kids have lovingly named God's Children's House. In the heart of Gary, God's Children's House is a safe place where the city's youth can get help with homework, have a snack, and enjoy life in a safe space.

LIFE IN GARY

Living in Gary is not always the easiest. Our kids witness things that some of us would never dream of encountering, even as adults.
At Urban Faith Works, our goal is to help the youth of Gary learn how to set goals, reach them, and take responsibility for their own futures. We also come alongside them as they face struggles and trials, learn life skills, and make decisions each day.

Most of all, we teach these kids that God loves them, and they can have a personal relationship with Him.

vu72

Can somebody PLEASE stop by the ARC and report back that all the guys are on campus that several appear to have Michael Jordan skills?  This site is soooooo boring right now!  :banghead:  10 days till the first game so official practice has to have started.  :dance:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

humbleopinion

Quote from: vu72 on July 31, 2019, 03:50:11 PM
Can somebody PLEASE stop by the ARC and report back that all the guys are on campus that several appear to have Michael Jordan skills?  This site is soooooo boring right now!  :banghead:  10 days till the first game so official practice has to have started.  :dance:

I have both the time and the inclination to stop by the ARC, but what are the regulations regarding dropping in at a practice?  I would imagine it is a bit more secure in Hilltop than when the team would be practicing in the main gym.
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Quote from: humbleopinion on August 01, 2019, 08:31:49 AM
Quote from: vu72 on July 31, 2019, 03:50:11 PM

I have both the time and the inclination to stop by the ARC, but what are the regulations regarding dropping in at a practice?  I would imagine it is a bit more secure in Hilltop than when the team would be practicing in the main gym.

I would think no one would care.  The only time anyone actually tried to stop me from seeing a practice was during the conference tournament and even then when they realized who I was it was fine.  Particularly at this time of year, I would be very surprised if anyone would even ask you why you were there.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VALPO LI

"It's more of a togetherness this year than in the past few years, I feel like," Kiser said.

-good to hear!
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

That's fantastic news! Maybe things will be okay after all. Either way The opener against Toledo will be fun that was a good game to get and I plan on attending!

bbtds

Quote from: VALPO LI on August 01, 2019, 08:42:08 PM
https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valpo-offseason-notebook-crusaders-roster-healthy-and-whole/article_1fc4d718-64aa-55fd-82bc-603c5a7df33c.html

The Kiser quote along with this quote from Lottich,

"It'll be different every game (starting line-up in Canada), I can promise you that," Lottich said. "We've got to mix in our veterans with our new guys, but the main objective is that we're all headed in the same direction."
and the Kiser quote about Zion.

"(Morgan)'s a team guy all day," Kiser said. "Gonna be great energy out there, can play defense."

make it sound very much that the players are putting much more emphasis on team unity and cohesiveness. Things that seemed to be lacking last season and might have re-emerged with the transfers leaving.

VALPO LI

Good positive energy from the players is what I got out of the article.  Very good to hear.  Let's see how this translates onto the court in Canada. 
Shine on Vu

vu72

The article didn't even mention two of our best players in Robinson and Gordon!  I think this team will be WAY more athletic and quick compared to last year's team.  I would think we will see some full court pressing with guys like Freeman, Morgan, Clay and Sackey on the floor.  8 more days!

VUBBFan

Anyone know if the Canadian games will be televised or streamed? Don't think they were last time they were there. I'd would at least like to hear a radio broadcast.

There are so many different aspects and unknowns to this year's team and that leads to a lot questions of what we'll have . So I'm really starting to get excited for the season to begin to see those changes and what this team is going to be like!

Valpo89

It's amazing, or maybe just refreshing, that Lottich was available for comment.
Guess he was sucked up in a black hole during the months of April and May.

SanityLost17

Not sure we are going to be any good this year, but based on interviews so far it just seems like everyone is happier to be here.   Might be an enjoyable team to watch, win or lose. 

VU2014

One thing I've noticed is that some of the guys who transferred take exception to the "selfish" or "me" mentality that Coach Lottich mentioned in the past, which is interesting. Nobody wants to be labeled as selfish but is the truth somewhere in the middle?

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 03, 2019, 03:18:40 PM
One thing I've noticed is that some of the guys who transferred take exception to the "selfish" or "me" mentality that Coach Lottich mentioned in the past, which is interesting. Nobody wants to be labeled as selfish but is the truth somewhere in the middle?

I'll selfishly say goodbye to Smits and Bakari!!!

bbtds

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 02, 2019, 12:16:08 PMAnyone know if the Canadian games will be televised or streamed? Don't think they were last time they were there. I'd would at least like to hear a radio broadcast.

The Carleton University Ravens (Ottawa) have the Valpo game listed on their ticket purchasing website. Their game against South Florida is being played at Place Bell in Laval, Quebec, just north of Montreal but not on the Island of Montreal (Ile de Montreal). Their games against Valpo & Albany are being played at the Ravens Nest on the Carleton campus in Ottawa. Five teams are playing at the Place Bell in Laval, Carleton, McGill, South Florida, Quinnipiac and Concordia-Montreal. Valpo, Albany and University of Quebec-Montreal are being left out of the Can Am games at the bigger arena.

The University of Quebec-Montreal is known as UQAM,

https://tickets.vendini.com/ticket-software.html?t=tix&w=3781535e2b5bc0eda16574df18f267a0&vqitq=378280ed-8301-4840-af1e-0f423436b7c0&vqitp=93596c19-9c98-4bed-8969-399d5a9b8404&vqitts=1563550456&vqitc=vendini&vqite=itl&vqitrt=Safetynet&vqith=1177fddc5b347810a562cce1f4fa8f53

https://placebell.ca/en/event/26188

LA PLACE BELL

Place Bell is a major multifunctional cultural and sports complex in Laval that offers Laval residents a unique experience. It has a 10,000-seat arena that can be converted into a performance venue – which includes 46 corporate loges – with an NHL-standard skating rink, an Olympic-sized skating rink with a 2,500 seating capacity and an NHL-standard community skating rink that can welcome 500 spectators.

bbtds

Here is a video from last season from the UQAM (U of Quebec-Montreal) Citadins men's basketball team.

https://tv.uqam.ca/lequipe-masculine-basketball-citadins-2018-2019

IrishDawg

Quote from: SanityLost17 on August 03, 2019, 02:28:06 PM
Not sure we are going to be any good this year, but based on interviews so far it just seems like everyone is happier to be here.   Might be an enjoyable team to watch, win or lose.

Hope springs eternal in the offseason.  His comments about the players are interesting, considering how much further back the 3 point line will be.  Would be pretty impressive to see a marked improvement from those 2.

valpotx

He even mentioned a large banner mentioning 'Team,' so this is definitely a sign of how he views a few of those that transferred.  I like it, as I noticed that selfishness often in games, based on how a few of our players reacted in various scenarios.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 03, 2019, 11:01:24 AM
https://twitter.com/Valpo_Hoops/status/1157494154408148992

I'm totally bought in and looking forward to receiving that season ticket order form in the mail. Very exciting!

EddieCabot

Quote from: valpotx on August 04, 2019, 12:39:35 AM
He even mentioned a large banner mentioning 'Team,' so this is definitely a sign of how he views a few of those that transferred.  I like it, as I noticed that selfishness often in games, based on how a few of our players reacted in various scenarios.

Looking from the outside, I sometimes question whether something as simple as a banner can help change a team's attitude.  It's nice to get input from a former DI athlete like TX that things like this can be meaningful.  I certainly hope so!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on August 03, 2019, 03:18:40 PMOne thing I've noticed is that some of the guys who transferred take exception to the "selfish" or "me" mentality that Coach Lottich mentioned in the past, which is interesting. Nobody wants to be labeled as selfish but is the truth somewhere in the middle?

I think the problem lies in the choice of words. Smits Bakari and Golder were not selfish people they just played selfishly and that showed on the court. I doubt Lottich thinks that these people are all about themselves on a personal level but on the court it was fairly obvious for significant stretches throughout the year. One thing's for sure Lottich sure looks happy coming in to work these days, I just hope it translates into results that make the fans happy to come to games because all this losing in conference is getting tough to stomach.