• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on August 07, 2019, 09:11:37 PMLol even the walk-on transferred? Or opted not to play? Wow. That's telling. 
Dude. Please.

VUGrad1314

Screw it. Buy games. Buy games everywhere. Become a P5 punching bag. Do the same thing in football. I don't care if we lose the football game 250-0. Do whatever you need to do to get the ARC upgraded and renovated. If the administration won't help us then we have to do whatever we can to take matters into our own hands and get this done to build up the program later.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on August 07, 2019, 10:55:55 PMTwitter profile still says valpo mbb. https://twitter.com/Boutabucket_13

Verbal Commits has him as left team for personal reasons. Perhaps he wants to devote more time for his degree. 

VUGrad1314

So this is what we're forced to conclude:

The players didn't respect Lottich enough to continue playing for him or buy into his coaching

Other programs Don't respect the program enough to honor their contracts and play us

The athletic department and administration don't respect the fans enough to put a meaningful plan together for facilities growth and investment because they're too busy chasing students that aren't coming and will never come while ignoring the fact that ATHLETIC SUCCESS WOULD GET THEM TO THEIR GOALS FASTER

Big donors what few we have don't respect athletics enough to recognize the critical role it does play in university growth

So now we sit with a bunch of debt for underutilized buildings built for a boom that never came a flagship athletic program totally in the toilet and now everyone has carte blanche to put whatever crap they want on the schedule just to slap one together

How could the department not have known well in advance about these buyouts? I'm insulted as a fan they weren't up front with us and had us believing until now that we had a great home slate I'm tired of the generalities I'm tired of the high minded hopeful talk I'm tired of constantly having my intelligence insulted thinking that somehow this time things will be different and meaningful action will be taken to aid the main moneymaking outlet this university has

If you don't care VU I don't care Give me a reason to care

Help us Bryce you're our only hope 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIIfx_UbnHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmErRm-vApI

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on August 08, 2019, 12:55:06 AM
So this is what we're forced to conclude:

The players didn't respect Lottich enough to continue playing for him or buy into his coaching

Other programs Don't respect the program enough to honor their contracts and play us

The athletic department and administration don't respect the fans enough to put a meaningful plan together for facilities growth and investment because they're too busy chasing students that aren't coming and will never come while ignoring the fact that ATHLETIC SUCCESS WOULD GET THEM TO THEIR GOALS FASTER

Big donors what few we have don't respect athletics enough to recognize the critical role it does play in university growth

So now we sit with a bunch of debt for underutilized buildings built for a boom that never came a flagship athletic program totally in the toilet and now everyone has carte blanche to put whatever crap they want on the schedule just to slap one together

How could the department not have known well in advance about these buyouts? I'm insulted as a fan they weren't up front with us and had us believing until now that we had a great home slate I'm tired of the generalities I'm tired of the high minded hopeful talk I'm tired of constantly having my intelligence insulted thinking that somehow this time things will be different and meaningful action will be taken to aid the main moneymaking outlet this university has

If you don't care VU I don't care Give me a reason to care

Help us Bryce you're our only hope 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIIfx_UbnHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmErRm-vApI

I really try hard to be nice to you, but please stop being so dramatic.  Let the new season wash over you and make your judgements then.  You write these long anger filled rants and complain more than I think you mean to.  I personally don't care what non Valpo fans think of our program most days, but when they read your posts they think we all hate our program and hold out no hope at times.  You often times have great positive things to say but lately you are letting negativity roll over your posts.

IrishDawg

Every board has the passionate fans that get a little too high when things are going well, and too low when things go poorly.

The buyouts aren't ideal, but they shouldn't impact the long-term view of the Valpo program.  Hosting a historically low level SEC team really only meant something because Bryce was there. GW was horrible last season and likely not going to be great this year either. Neither game gets you at large consideration. 

The goals for the program to continue to improve its standing in the Valley aren't impacted by this, IMO. That doesn't mean that those who are frustrated with certain aspects of the program shouldn't voice their opinions, but I would disagree that this has a significant impact positively or negatively on the program overall.

valpo84

Agree with Irishdawg. (i) Vandy and GW are scared of the losses, pure and simple.  They'd rather reschedule to an easier win (preferably home dates that get them some revenue), (ii) taking some buy games on the road versus winnable D1 P5 opponents may be a good strategy this year (e.g. last year's TA&M game).  We are in a difficult situation and have been for 20 years with scheduling (this is nothing new).  No one wants to play us at home, mid-tier D1s don't want us coming into their place and stealing games.  Despite 1314's lamentations, people respect our program nationally.  We don't move up 2 conferences without that fact.  Schedule winnable D1 games road or home.  Have exciting players and wins and people will come.  Shoot, home schedules with Western Ill, UMKC, Chicago State and any number of other Mid-Con/Summit punching bags didn't make for a fun home schedule.  Now we have 9 solid home games against known opponents from our conference schedule.  You will not have more than 2 D2 or less (and oh btw most schools have 2 D2s or less).  The key is winnable games the rest of the pre-conf to build the RPI or whatever the ranking system de jour is.  Wins mean more than schedule strength in any formula.  Conference teams with lots of pre-conf wins helps schedule strength.  Now every one breathe!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Interesting comments from Mark L in today's AD Insights.  He confirmed that Vandy and GW are not coming but said that the significant funds received via the buyouts will be used to bring Midwest teams to the ARC.  Also mentioned that plans (not disclosed) are underway for additional improvements to the ARC and said some gifts had been received already.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuny98

Quote from: vu72 on August 08, 2019, 09:35:39 AMInteresting comments from Mark L in today's AD Insights.  He confirmed that Vandy and GW are not coming but said that the significant funds received via the buyouts will be used to bring Midwest teams to the ARC.  Also mentioned that plans (not disclosed) are underway for additional improvements to the ARC and said some gifts had been received already.

Hopefully Midwest teams = quality D1 opponent and not Chicago State or Concordia.

And hopefully improvements to the ARC is more than changing light-bulbs to LED. I for one am sick of standard maintenance being touted as improvements.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: IrishDawg on August 08, 2019, 07:17:15 AM
Every board has the passionate fans that get a little too high when things are going well, and too low when things go poorly.

The buyouts aren't ideal, but they shouldn't impact the long-term view of the Valpo program.  Hosting a historically low level SEC team really only meant something because Bryce was there. GW was horrible last season and likely not going to be great this year either. Neither game gets you at large consideration. 

The goals for the program to continue to improve its standing in the Valley aren't impacted by this, IMO. That doesn't mean that those who are frustrated with certain aspects of the program shouldn't voice their opinions, but I would disagree that this has a significant impact positively or negatively on the program overall.

Those are my feelings as well.  VUGrad1314 is an awesome contributor and a loyal fan.  I don't mention anything to Golden_____ because he/she never established themselves as a fan before ranting about all the negative things about Valpo.  I respect VUGrad1314 and know he can take this as constructive criticism.  Some might think it's policing, and fine I won't argue, but I think a big piece that is missing on ALL fan forums is open conversation amongst board members.  I truly appreciate the fact that we can openly discuss our opinions (crazy or otherwise) and get feedback here.

I'm excited for the season and new beginnings.  IMO this coaching staff has redeemable qualities as does our University.  We all have problems, but dwelling on them rather than seeing the new players and new year ahead of us before the season starts seems a bit defeatist . . .

One other item, @Valpo Basketball posted a tweet "Entire team is ready to roll for Canada.  Big time effort from @valpocompliance helping to get our team ready!".  Maybe this is a throw away tweet between VU departments but I wonder if they were having problems getting our Europeans eligible?  Any news on that front?

valpopal

vu84v2

Non-conference schedules in recent seasons:
2018-2019: One MAC team, three low D1s, and two non-D1 teams
2017-2018: One MWC team, two lower D1s, and two non-D1 teams. Note that the MWC game had nothing to do with scheduling efforts by the athletic department/basketball program
2016-2017: An A10 team, a MAC team, a WCC team, an MVC team, two low D1 teams and one non-D1 team

Given the messaging here, this season's non-conference schedule will be worse than the last two seasons...so that will be three straight years.

Here are some hard questions that the AD might have wanted to address to build some degree of confidence. 1. How much of the 'significant funds'? All of it?  20%?, 2. Will Valpo continue to agree to scheduling deals in which the road game is first, creating the possibility for buyouts?, 3. What is the timeframe on such plans and where is Valpo in the project plan? What is the total cost and how much funding has already been received?

Without far more concrete answers, it is reasonable to assume that this exact same conversation will take place a year from now.

vu84v2

One other item, @Valpo Basketball posted a tweet "Entire team is ready to roll for Canada.  Big time effort from @valpocompliance helping to get our team ready!".  Maybe this is a throw away tweet between VU departments but I wonder if they were having problems getting our Europeans eligible?  Any news on that front?
[/quote]

Students from other countries have special visas that often prevent them from traveling to another country. Given the new players from several countries (Canada would not be an issue), this was probably no easy task for the compliance office. I cannot speak specifically to what happened in this case at Valpo, but my guess is that the 'shout out' and thanks are well deserved.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 08, 2019, 10:01:38 AM
Non-conference schedules in recent seasons:
2018-2019: One MAC team, three low D1s, and two non-D1 teams
2017-2018: One MWC team, two lower D1s, and two non-D1 teams. Note that the MWC game had nothing to do with scheduling efforts by the athletic department/basketball program
2016-2017: An A10 team, a MAC team, a WCC team, an MVC team, two low D1 teams and one non-D1 team

Given the messaging here, this season's non-conference schedule will be worse than the last two seasons...so that will be three straight years.

Here are some hard questions that the AD might have wanted to address to build some degree of confidence. 1. How much of the 'significant funds'? All of it?  20%?, 2. Will Valpo continue to agree to scheduling deals in which the road game is first, creating the possibility for buyouts?, 3. What is the timeframe on such plans and where is Valpo in the project plan? What is the total cost and how much funding has already been received?

Without far more concrete answers, it is reasonable to assume that this exact same conversation will take place a year from now.

Is this a Valpo problem or is this a Mid-Major problem?  Loyola went to the Final 4 two years ago and this was their home schedule last year.  Admittedly, the real test is this years schedule because I'm guessing many games were already booked pre Final 4 but just for comparison purposes.  Also their NET Ranking is in brackets next to each school, only problem is they are for this year . . .

Winona State (Exhibition, who is this?)
UMKC (232)
Furman (58)
Niagara (Fort Myers Tip Off)
Grambling State (Fort Myers Tip Off)
Nevada (MW tournament, no longer)
Ball State (133)
Norfolk State (247)
Benedictine (who is this?)

The only true 1-and-1 on this schedule are possibly UMKC, Furman, Ball State (we play them) and Norfolk State.  Furman is the only NET victory on that schedule from last years team.

I submit that we complain with the best of them, but THIS IS REALITY.  I truly hope we get more Tournaments where quality competition signs up and they turn into home games (as as the Fort Myers Tip Off).  I really like that format where games are played on campus.

vu84v2

I listened to the AD's comments. He specifically said, "we are going to use the money to get some more D1 games with an emphasis on the midwest". I am sure that they want stronger D1 games, but the statements he made sounded like teams like Chicago State, Western Illinois, etc. would be OK (though not preferred). My impression is that he is realistic (generally not a bad thing), but is setting a low bar (not a good thing). I see nothing that says there will be meaningful scheduling improvement in the next several years.

The comments on funding for ARC improvements were weaker than I had thought they would be. I guess that he cannot say more, but I do see a "it is what it is" tone in his comments. More hope than a real  fundable plan.

I did like the comments on engaging marketing classes on improving the game day experience. It is not going to help attendance much if the opponents are weak, but it is great to engage the students and colleges who have expertise and can lead to some improvements.

M

It's too bad the athletic department touted both of these home games when there was still a chance they wouldn't happen. I suppose we know why Valpo doesn't release that non con schedule until so late.

I'd bet the buyout money goes into some sort athletic fund that athletics has to use at their discretion. I'm cautiously optimistic (that's just my nature) that they'll land a couple decent drawing games. I'm less optimistic about what he said about building improvements.

vu84v2

Quote from: M on August 08, 2019, 10:25:53 AM

I'd bet the buyout money goes into some sort athletic fund that athletics has to use at their discretion. I'm cautiously optimistic (that's just my nature) that they'll land a couple decent drawing games. I'm less optimistic about what he said about building improvements.

That is not the way budgeting and finance in universities works. Budgets are ultimately controlled at the university level. If any college or department gets additional funds (other than targeted donations), the university has the final say on whether the money goes back as additional budget to the college or department. My guess is that only a portion of the buyout money will go towards funding future opponents.

VALPO LI

Mark LaBarbera -"use the resources that we got from those schools to go out and get some additional divisional 1 games and try to beef up our schedule" to me that reads Valpo will use the $$$ to buy some quality home games.
Shine on Vu

vu84v2

So he has commitment from the university that all of the buyout money will be used as additional budget for the basketball program? If true, why didn't he say that? He does not control how much money, including funds from special revenues, is allocated to the athletic department.

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on August 08, 2019, 09:35:39 AMInteresting comments from Mark L in today's AD Insights.  He confirmed that Vandy and GW are not coming but said that the significant funds received via the buyouts will be used to bring Midwest teams to the ARC. 

There are HL teams that I would like to see return to the ARC and I'm not too worried about any of them buying us out.  ::)

From a purely dollars and cents standpoint Vandy may have done us a favor. With Bryce terminated and our senior experience scattered to the winds there was a chance that as few as 4,000 (maybe less) fans would have come to watch two young and struggling teams compete in a largely meaningless game. Even with premium priced tickets the gate receipts might have been greatly disappointing.

The GW buyout price must have been a tiny fraction of what it cost Vandy. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

NativeCheesehead

Agree on the HL games. No reason to not be playing at least two per year.

4throwfan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on August 08, 2019, 11:41:35 AM
Agree on the HL games. No reason to not be playing at least two per year.

Is the lawsuit still going on?

I believe that VU plays HL teams in other sports, but there may be reasons related to the lawsuit as to why men's BB can't enter into contracts to play.

mvredbird

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 08, 2019, 10:32:02 AM
Quote from: M on August 08, 2019, 10:25:53 AM

That is not the way budgeting and finance in universities works. Budgets are ultimately controlled at the university level. If any college or department gets additional funds (other than targeted donations), the university has the final say on whether the money goes back as additional budget to the college or department. My guess is that only a portion of the buyout money will go towards funding future opponents.
Quote from: vu84v2 on August 08, 2019, 10:47:56 AM
So he has commitment from the university that all of the buyout money will be used as additional budget for the basketball program? If true, why didn't he say that? He does not control how much money, including funds from special revenues, is allocated to the athletic department.

In my experience, there wouldn't be a need for additional budget. It would be my position that the buyout payment would be credited against the applicable expenditure item and not treated as a special revenue. It would serve to offset the expenses of scheduling replacement games, which is it's intended purpose. The only question for me would be how detailed the line items in the athletic department budget are in regards to the flexibility they have in using it for other purposes.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on August 08, 2019, 09:35:39 AM
Interesting comments from Mark L in today's AD Insights.  He confirmed that Vandy and GW are not coming but said that the significant funds received via the buyouts will be used to bring Midwest teams to the ARC.  Also mentioned that plans (not disclosed) are underway for additional improvements to the ARC and said some gifts had been received already.

As someone who took the time to participate in the survey, it means a lot to hear that ML reviewed it and is acting on some of the suggestions.  Another very encouraging development. 

VUCPB alum

I didn't know where to put this but President Heckler sent out an email earlier today stating that he would be stepping down as president in the near future and it sounded like some of the board members may be stepping down soon as well. This could potentially benefit the athletics department depending on who the next president and board members are