• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

Quote from: VUCPB alum on August 08, 2019, 07:24:57 PM
I didn't know where to put this but President Heckler sent out an email earlier today stating that he would be stepping down as president in the near future and it sounded like some of the board members may be stepping down soon as well. This could potentially benefit the athletics department depending on who the next president and board members are

Am I the only person who doesn't expect much to change under a new president?  The existing board (with maybe a few changes) selecting a new president who will be assisted in the transition by President Heckler.  Sounds like more of the same.

And I'm not saying that's wrong.  It would be nice to see a little more commitment to athletics, but pushing all the chips in and betting on Valpo becoming the next Gonzaga would be irresponsible.  200+ mid and low-major schools have the goal of becoming the next Gonzaga, but how many of them have really executed that strategy successfully? 

vu84v2

Quote from: EddieCabot on August 09, 2019, 08:58:40 AM
I didn't know where to put this but President Heckler sent out an email earlier today stating that he would be stepping down as president in the near future and it sounded like some of the board members may be stepping down soon as well. This could potentially benefit the athletics department depending on who the next president and board members are

Am I the only person who doesn't expect much to change under a new president?  The existing board (with maybe a few changes) selecting a new president who will be assisted in the transition by President Heckler.  Sounds like more of the same.

And I'm not saying that's wrong.  It would be nice to see a little more commitment to athletics, but pushing all the chips in and betting on Valpo becoming the next Gonzaga would be irresponsible.  200+ mid and low-major schools have the goal of becoming the next Gonzaga, but how many of them have really executed that strategy successfully? 

There are a few others who have 'won the tournament' to go from mid-major to top powerhouse (Butler, Creighton, maybe Wichita State), but I agree that betting the farm to try to be the next Gonzaga has a much greater likelihood of disaster (i.e. tens of Millions wasted) than of success. The incremental approach that Valpo has taken may have far less probability of reaching the pinnacle, but it is the sane and responsible approach.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vu84v2 on August 09, 2019, 09:16:21 AM
Quote from: EddieCabot on August 09, 2019, 08:58:40 AM

There are a few others who have 'won the tournament' to go from mid-major to top powerhouse (Butler, Creighton, maybe Wichita State), but I agree that betting the farm to try to be the next Gonzaga has a much greater likelihood of disaster (i.e. tens of Millions wasted) than of success. The incremental approach that Valpo has taken may have far less probability of reaching the pinnacle, but it is the sane and responsible approach.

Solid points, we don't have the student population or (219 area code) population to support those type of resources being spent like Butler, Creighton, WSU or Gonzaga.  People in mega city/suburbs like Chicagoland don't consistently travel 45 miles to see a basketball game.  It takes whacky alumni like us to do that . . .

Though we are in an age of change when gameday attendance is down across the board and streaming is king.  Under the old model revenue primarily came from tickets, TV contracts and apparel.  What does the new model look like?

Can a sparkling new 2,500 seat arena with creature comforts and great halftime entertainment provide the game day excitement.  Meanwhile can that excitement broadcast well on a streaming device enough to generate the necessary revenue (viewer interest) we need to land top tier recruits?  Streaming is where the future is for all level of sports, vying for the audiences interest is the difficulty.  TV contracts and ticket sales revenue seamed to have peaked.  What's next for mid majors such as those in the MVC?. I sure hope we don't invest in the old model . . . we don't need a big renovated ARC.  We need a more compact and well designed facility with excellent in game experience (half time included).

VUBBFan

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

don't forget Loyola!! They made the Final Four!

humbleopinion

Valpo Basketball
@ValpoBasketball
Check out the live stream of your Crusaders as they take on McGill tomorrow at 3pm et! (link: https://mcgillathletics.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mbball) mcgillathletics.ca/schedule.aspx?...
3:45 PM · Aug 9, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
Beamin' Beacons

FieldGoodie05

Which transfer do you expect the most out of this season:

Eron Gordon 6'2" G (Seton Hall)

Nick Robinson 6'5" G/F (Saint Joseph's)

Zion Morgan 6'5" G (UNLV)

justducky

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 09, 2019, 09:26:01 PM
Which transfer do you expect the most out of this season:

Eron Gordon 6'2" G (Seton Hall)

Nick Robinson 6'5" G/F (Saint Joseph's)

Zion Morgan 6'5" G (UNLV)
All will be important but Robinson is the most versatile and should be able to contribute more important minutes because of it. I'll go with Gordon at #2 but Morgon could surprise us.

VUBBFan

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 09, 2019, 09:26:01 PMWhich transfer do you expect the most out of this season: Eron Gordon 6'2" G (Seton Hall) Nick Robinson 6'5" G/F (Saint Joseph's) Zion Morgan 6'5" G (UNLV)
I think I'd go with Robinson, but not unhappy with the other two. I believe the trio is a net upgrade to last year's Bakari and Golder.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUBBFan on August 09, 2019, 09:47:24 PM

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 09, 2019, 09:26:01 PMWhich transfer do you expect the most out of this season: Eron Gordon 6'2" G (Seton Hall) Nick Robinson 6'5" G/F (Saint Joseph's) Zion Morgan 6'5" G (UNLV)
I think I'd go with Robinson, but not unhappy with the other two. I believe the trio is a net upgrade to last year's Bakari and Golder.

Interview with Nick Robinson going into his senior year of high school I believe.

https://youtu.be/dOELzmm36Bo

crusadermoe

Very optimistic about this guy's skills. Glad to see his great attitude too.   Played a lot of A10 minutes with good avg. points too, right?

wh

Valpo Basketball to Host Special Needs Camp
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 14, 2019

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2019-20/19200/valpo-basketball-to-host-special-needs-camp/

As someone with a special needs brother, this touches my heart - almost to tears.

VUBBFan

VULB#62

wh

The team held a camp yesterday for special needs children. The quality and character of our coaches and players shine in these pictures.

https://www.twitter.com/coachgore/status/1165391477607927809

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10206772152099886&id=1757701990

vu84v2

There are several other discussions that debate the mission of Valpo, but I think that we can all agree that this special needs camp is consistent with the university's, as well as our own, mission and values. Strong kudos to the players, coaches and others who organized and ran this camp.

MarchArchPod

Can't wait to talk Valpo on this week's podcast

March to the Arch podcast on Apple, Spotify and other pod catchers

bbtds

Quote from: MarchArchPod on August 30, 2019, 10:03:33 PMMarch to the Arch podcast on Apple, Spotify and other pod catchers

In 1968 my uncle took me on a march for Dr. ML King and called it my personal "March to the Arch." We went on the famous Admiral riverboat that day also.

crusader05

One of my biggest observations has been that the team has really seemed to decrease their interaction with the school population since the Rowdy/Vashil years and I linked that partially to some of the issues struggling to feel the stands so I feel I should mention that the person I know who works on campus indicated they've never seen as many basketball players on campus and in the union hanging out like they have so far this semester in years so I hope that's a sign of increased engagement.

vu84v2

Quote from: crusader05 on September 02, 2019, 07:53:22 AM
One of my biggest observations has been that the team has really seemed to decrease their interaction with the school population since the Rowdy/Vashil years and I linked that partially to some of the issues struggling to feel the stands so I feel I should mention that the person I know who works on campus indicated they've never seen as many basketball players on campus and in the union hanging out like they have so far this semester in years so I hope that's a sign of increased engagement.

That is encouraging...and one really really long sentence.