• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on September 05, 2019, 04:07:06 AM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 04, 2019, 10:40:31 AM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on September 04, 2019, 09:55:12 AM
To be fair, we've done nothing in this conference for either Loyola, or the MVC, to consider us Loyola's rival.

Bingo!!!  We must earn this...

Just like the soldier, played by Matt Damon, who lost 3 brothers in WWII, in Saving Private Ryan.

What are you suggesting?  You can be quite obscure at times (likely by design).

crusaderjoe

Serious question.

As it relates to Loyola, how does Valpo "earn" a rivalry?  IMO, rivalries can't be "earned"; instead, they only be "born."

So how are they earned?  Geography?  Wins?  What?

Geographically, Loyola would make perfect sense if we were talking about Valpo's most natural travel partner, but we are not.  Miami and Notre Dame had one of the most, if not the most, hated rivalries in all of sports in the 80's and early 90's.  Distance? 1,300 miles.

As far as competitiveness or wins are concerned, Oklahoma leads Oklahoma State 88-18-7 in their football Bedlam series.  Is anyone here going to suggest that these two aren't rivals, or OSU hasn't earned becoming OU's rival because this series is so lopsided?

Someone one please tell me.  How are rivalries "earned"?

valpopal

Loyola is the most likely candidate to be Valpo's rival in the MVC. The two are geographically close to one another, both appeal to the Chicago media market, they are both smaller private religious universities, both enjoy excellent academic reputations and have similar pools of prospective students, the coaching staffs compete for recruits throughout the Chicagoland area, there is a shared history in the Horizon League, and games between the two teams are attended by fans who travel well to the other's arena. In fact, when Loyola plays at Valpo, the crowd from Loyola reminds me somewhat of those Butler fans who would fill the ARC during Horizon League days. In addition, it is in the best interest of both teams and, as importantly, the MVC to do whatever it can to encourage and develop a rivalry between these schools. Therefore, it doesn't make sense, even seems counterproductive, to schedule a game between these two programs during the Christmas break.   

VULB#62

I believe one factor has to be that BOTH rivals have to buy into it. The easy ones are the state schools like MSU/UofM, Montana/Montana State. Butler/Valpo?  Maybe in FB, but I don't see  Butler MBB considering us a rival school. Loyola/Valpo? It has potential but that needs to evolve over time.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 05, 2019, 09:55:22 AM
I believe one factor has to be that BOTH rivals have to buy into it. The easy ones are the state schools like MSU/UofM, Montana/Montana State. Butler/Valpo?  Maybe in FB, but I don't see  Butler MBB considering us a rival school. Loyola/Valpo? It has potential but that needs to evolve over time.

Inevitably, one team will buy into the rivalry more than the other. Loyola seems like the most natural rival for Valpo, but my guess is right now a lot of the schools in the MVC want a rivalry with the Ramblers because of the F4 run.

Pgmado

Quote from: VALPO LI on September 04, 2019, 12:40:38 PM
So what defines a rivalry?
Who exactly is our rival school?
I struggle with this question.
Close proximity to another school?
Instate team?
Amount of times played?
Largest crowd drawn to that game played?
All of the above or some of the above.
Or are we to new to the conference to have a rivalry?

I wrote this before Valpo started conference play in 2018.

https://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/who-should-be-valparaiso-s-rival-in-the-missouri-valley/collection_4ce38130-26dd-5197-a52d-fcd507b79ba5.html#1

EddieCabot

Does anyone have information on when the season ticket order form will be available on the athletic's website?  Do they wait until all season ticket renewal forms are received back?

valpopal

We can quibble over the word "rivalry." However, you cannot doubt the intensity of Valpo-Butler games, which have been unmatched in the history of Valpo basketball. This is the atmosphere I'd like to see reestablished, and the best bet for resembling this type of game day with Valpo in the MVC would be Loyola.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusaderjoe on September 05, 2019, 08:59:22 AM
Serious question.

As it relates to Loyola, how does Valpo "earn" a rivalry?  IMO, rivalries can't be "earned"; instead, they only be "born."

Geographically, Loyola would make perfect sense if we were talking about Valpo's most natural travel partner, but we are not.  Miami and Notre Dame had one of the most, if not the most, hated rivalries in all of sports in the 80's and early 90's.  Distance? 1,300 miles.

As far as competitiveness or wins are concerned, Oklahoma leads Oklahoma State 88-18-7 in their football Bedlam series.  Is anyone here going to suggest that these two aren't rivals, or OSU hasn't earned becoming OU's rival because this series is so lopsided?

You make a good point, I don't think there is just one way to develop a rivalry.  Undoubtedly the first ingredient is actually playing the team on a regular basis (check).  Another might be competitive nature of the games (somewhat checked since MVC play).  Yet another might be proximity, but as you point out there are examples to the contrary.

When I mention 'earning" a rivalry, I refer to point #2 above which is competitive nature of the games.  When we were in the HL I believe Loyola was perennially a W in our column, so the rivalry didn't develop at that time.  Since joining the MVC we have done nothing but lose to Loyola and most of the league . . . .hence "earning" is being used as a way of saying WE HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING YET.  We will, but nothing as of yet.

I get your concern over the choice of wording.  I also have concern what bbtds' point was regarding a movie from 1998 (over 20 years ago).  His reference to Saving Private Ryan lands as well as our reference to Sweet 16 guys . . . like it or not.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on September 05, 2019, 11:38:29 AM
We can quibble over the word "rivalry." However, you cannot doubt the intensity of Valpo-Butler games, which have been unmatched in the history of Valpo basketball. This is the atmosphere I'd like to see reestablished, and the best bet for resembling this type of game day with Valpo in the MVC would be Loyola.

Good post valpopal!  Hadn't seen that video, good memories.

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on September 05, 2019, 12:42:46 PMI get your concern over the choice of wording.  I also have concern what bbtds' point was regarding a movie from 1998 (over 20 years ago).  His reference to Saving Private Ryan lands as well as our reference to Sweet 16 guys . . . like it or not.

I believe you have "earned" the like. Concise, using my name and admitting my superiority.

Just kidding.

FWalum

WOW wow wow was that fun to watch!! Kevin van Wijk was a beast and loved how Rowdy would hold the release on those threes!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Interesting to hear Harry went with Eron over Nick. I think Eron will be a a nice solid contributed but maybe not as impactful as Nick Robinson. Nick can be more impactful in more ways with his defense and the versatility of the way the coach staff can use him on the court with him even being able to handle the Ball.

Hopefully both are great. I'm excited to see both guys this season.

https://twitter.com/fatherharry1/status/1170093215015415808?s=21

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2019, 10:52:07 AMInteresting to hear Harry went with Eron over Nick. I think Eron will be a a nice solid contributed but maybe not as impactful as Nick Robinson. Nick can be more impactful in more ways with his defense and the versatility of the way the coach staff can use him on the court with him even being able to handle the Ball.

Agree. Robinson fits everywhere, Gordon- maybe or maybe not. What does excite me about Eron is his ball handling size and strength. Listed at just 6'3" 205 he is built like a LaVonte Dority on steroids!  :o If he can hit his outside shots and require close perimeter coverage he should be able to own many of his Valley defenders by taking them to the hole.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUBBFan

Got my renewal form in the mail today. Looks like we have till Oct. 5th to reserve last year's seats before they are opened up to the general public.
The open "practice" event for season ticket holders will be Oct. 15th.

https://twitter.com/AlBillets/status/1171164709543915521

covufan

Quote from: crusaderjoe on September 05, 2019, 08:59:22 AM
Serious question.

Have competitive games. No rivalry if one team overwhelmingly wins most games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU2014

Love these e series vlogs from eron Gordon. I really appreciate the behind the scenes look of the team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1ayUpk0CA

VUBBFan

Quote from: VU2014 on September 12, 2019, 08:17:36 PMLove these e series vlogs from eron Gordon. I really appreciate the behind the scenes look of the team. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1ayUpk0CA
Totally agree. We really get to see the chemistry the team has and a peek of what they want to do this year. Watching just makes me excited for the season.

vu72

I think practice starts in five days! :dance:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015