• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

That 1969-1970 season featured a pretty darn good non-conference schedule.

Paul

humbleopinion

Quote from: talksalot on December 09, 2019, 09:33:25 PMDec. 12 Pacifi c Lutheran ! W 76-66
Dec. 13 Gustavus Adolphus ! W 99-78

I liked the Crusader Classic.  As I recall it was comprised of four teams from Lutheran colleges or universities.  I don't know if any other team ever beat Valpo in it, but it was a way of acknowledging the Lutheran identity and (in my opinion) reminded the country that Valpo is the preeminent Lutheran university.
Beamin' Beacons

VALPO LI

Quote from: humbleopinion on December 10, 2019, 05:25:54 AM
Quote from: talksalot on December 09, 2019, 09:33:25 PMDec. 12 Pacifi c Lutheran ! W 76-66
Dec. 13 Gustavus Adolphus ! W 99-78

I liked the Crusader Classic.  As I recall it was comprised of four teams from Lutheran colleges or universities.  I don't know if any other team ever beat Valpo in it, but it was a way of acknowledging the Lutheran identity and (in my opinion) reminded the country that Valpo is the preeminent Lutheran university.

I couldn't agree with you more and in my opinion we need to rekindle this tradition.  Wagner College is the only other Division 1 Lutheran Institution around and if Augustana University becomes D1 that would be 3 D1 Lutheran Colleges.  Have a yearly tournament at the ARC promoting our Lutheran Heritage.
Shine on Vu

valpo64

I believe, altho not sure, there are one or two schools in the South or Southeast that have Lutheran ties, though maybe far removed.  I think Lenore-Rhyne(spell??) may be one. I am sure someone on this panel will findout if there are any others.

VUfan

Bruce scored 775 in 24 games, now we play 32 games !!!!  :o

M

You all would flip your lids if those teams appeared on our (home) schedule nowadays, lol.

Just Sayin

Quote from: M on December 10, 2019, 03:03:33 PMYou all would flip your lids if those teams appeared on our (home) schedule nowadays, lol.

Nobody likes to watch blowout games.

vu72

Quote from: M on December 10, 2019, 03:03:33 PM
You all would flip your lids if those teams appeared on our (home) schedule nowadays, lol.

I'm pretty sure Concordia Chicago was on our schedule maybe last year?  We could also schedule Wagner, the other Lutheran D1.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on December 10, 2019, 11:47:19 AM
I believe, altho not sure, there are one or two schools in the South or Southeast that have Lutheran ties, though maybe far removed.  I think Lenore-Rhyne(spell??) may be one. I am sure someone on this panel will findout if there are any others.

Here is the complete list:

https://lutherancolleges.org/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on December 10, 2019, 03:03:33 PM

That is the laughable part, I was thinking the EXACT same thing . . . geesh, haha.

NativeCheesehead

We'd flip our lid and the ticket prices would be the same.

valpo64

I agree on the schools that are not D-1.  I was referring to Div. 1 schools only.  Are L-  R and Wagner the only D-1 Lutheran affiliated schools other thanValpo? 

humbleopinion

As was noted earlier, Augustana plans to go Div 1.
Beamin' Beacons

VALPO LI

I was hoping loose a Concordia/Trinity on the schedule and pick up a game against Wagner and play for a Lutheran Trophy.  Right now Wagner College is the only Lutheran College along with Valpo that has a D1 athletic program.  Lenoir Rhyne University is D2.
Shine on Vu

wh

I think Matt and his young team are starting to hit their stride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kbtfoViw0I&feature=share

Just Sayin

This CMU performance just might be the big turning point this season for this team. I see good things happening from here if they continue to excel both offensively and defensively. This is a more balanced team. Keep it up.

bbtds

Quote from: VUfan on December 10, 2019, 02:51:55 PM
Bruce scored 775 in 24 games, now we play 32 games !!!!  :o

Is that Bruce Lindner or a misspelling of Bryce?

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on December 15, 2019, 10:03:08 PM
https://twitter.com/NWISports/status/1206406439960481792?s=20

The Crusaders fell apart when Fazekas suffered a significant ankle sprain last winter, falling toward the bottom of Division I in multiple offensive statistics.

In this space last season, I wrote that Valparaiso's failure to cobble together an adequate offense without Fazekas couldn't extend into this season in case he missed time again.

While the Crusaders still have a minimum of three games left without Fazekas, coach Matt Lottich and his staff deserve credit for the offensive improvement this season. And the players should be praised for developing their skill.

"I think we're doing a better job of just being harder to guard," Lottich said. "We're getting a lot of easier baskets and we're turning turnovers into points, and we've done that pretty consistently all year."

"... I think we've got a different team. It's hard to compare teams. The previous year, we were playing with traditional centers and more back-to-the-basket guys. Now, we've got five guys that can dribble, pass and shoot pretty much all the time on the court, and that makes offense easier."

Valpo embarks on a three-game road trip starting with a game at Charlotte on Monday, and the Crusaders can clinch a winning nonconference record with just one more victory. They'll stay in North Carolina for a game at High Point on Wednesday before jetting to Little Rock, Arkansas, to face the 9-1 Arkansas Razorbacks on Saturday.(7 point loss to Western Kentucky in OT in Bowling Green, KY)

Clay has started every game since Fazekas got hurt. When he entered the lineup, he had just two real college games under his belt. He doesn't bring Fazekas' shooting, but his length and athleticism disrupt opposing offenses and have helped him shoot 64% from 2-point range. Clay is a weapon in the open court and is hard to deter at the rim.

Lottich said Fazekas won't play on the trip. Based on the strides Valpo has made this fall, however, that isn't a huge concern.

"I think the biggest thing from last year to this year is this year we know he's out but we don't really dwell on the fact that he's out," sophomore point guard Daniel Sackey said. "Last year, I feel like it was more so, 'Oh my gosh, he's out. What are we gonna do?' Like, panic mode. ... A lot of guys have stepped up, so I think that's a very positive thing to take from it."

bbtds

In case you may have missed it the Valpo game against Arkansas is at the Simmons Bank Arena in North Little Rock and not at their home arena in Fayetteville in NW Arkansas at the Bud Walton Arena.

This is a doubleheader event with their women's team playing the UALR Trojans at 1:00 p.m. CST and their men's team playing the Crusaders at 7:00 p.m. CST.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simmons_Bank_Arena

Simmons Bank Arena is an 18,000 seat arena in the downtown area of Little Rock on the north side of the Arkansas River in North Little Rock.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2rMLdimyQwYzCWp77

It is formerly known as the Alltel Arena and the Verizon Arena.

In 2019 the naming rights to the venue will be changed from Verizon to Arkansas based Simmons Bank. The deal was announced in November 9, 2018. The name change became official on October 3, 2019.

The Razorback Athletic Department sells this as a bus trip to Little Rock with a restaurant visit in between games.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/road-trip-with-the-razorbacks-to-simmons-bank-arena-on-dec-21/

wh

Mileek McMillian - Fouls/40 min. played

2017-18  7.5
2018-19  8.3
2019-20  8.0 (8.7 away games)

Rest of the roster:
Krikke 4.2
Kiser 3.8
Gordon 3.4
Robinson 3.2
Sackey 3.1
Freeman-Liberty 2.9
Clay 2.4

Observations:
- This is the worst individual player deficiency/dysfunction I have ever seen or heard of in Division I college basketball.
- After 75 games over 2 1/2 seasons with absolutely no improvement, Mileek's inability to stop fouling is not a problem that can be solved.  It can only be managed.
- Consider all the close games that we have lost where Mileek was on the bench in crunch time because he fouled out, or played fewer minutes than he should have thereby contributing less than he could have, or put the opposition in the bonus/double bonus sooner than they should have, or forced a decision to play inexperienced rookie backups against seasoned veterans.  How many easy baskets has he given up trying to defend once he is in foul trouble?  Etc., etc.
- Someone failed Mileek miserably a long time ago when they didn't teach him how to defend without fouling, so he brought his terrible habits with him to college.
- This coaching staff has failed him miserably for the past 2 1/2 years and counting.  I can't believe that situation could not have been remedied by any respectable "big man's coach," which apparently doesn't exist at Valpo.  Instead, the coaching staff continues to reward and placate this total nonsensical situation by starting him and allowing him to rack up foul after foul, something that probably began in middle school and hasn't changed since.  Absolutely, the wrong message.
- What does the team get in return?  An occasional 3 point basket made at a 20% clip.
- So there you have it.  An upper classman whose undoubtedly has the highest fouling rate/40 in college basketball, which hasn't improved in 3 years, combined with his worst shooting performance in 3 years, starting for a Missouri Valley Conference basketball program that hopes to contend for a conference championship.  End of story.

NativeCheesehead

This will be one of the more interesting things to watch going forward. If the trends hold, Krikke should be starting about midway through the season. I love McM as a backup 5, or even better, a stretch 4 if EFV can give you 12-15 decent minutes per game.

vuny98

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 07, 2020, 12:35:24 PMThis will be one of the more interesting things to watch going forward. If the trends hold, Krikke should be starting about midway through the season. I love McM as a backup 5, or even better, a stretch 4 if EFV can give you 12-15 decent minutes per game.

Of the three players that I think get too many minutes (McMillian, Sackey, Kiser) McMillian is by far the top of my list for a demotion. He has one thing going for him, his size, and at 6'8" he can't even do that right. Really though, he is a good asset to have on a team (can stretch the floor, decent size) but should be coming off the bench.

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 07, 2020, 12:25:31 PM

2017-18  7.5
2018-19  8.3

Rest of the roster:
Krikke 4.2
Kiser 3.8
Gordon 3.4
Robinson 3.2
Sackey 3.1
Freeman-Liberty 2.9
Clay 2.4

Observations:
- This is the worst individual player deficiency/dysfunction I have ever seen or heard of in Division I college basketball.
- After 75 games over 2 1/2 seasons with absolutely no improvement, Mileek's inability to stop fouling is not a problem that can be solved.  It can only be managed.
- Consider all the close games that we have lost where Mileek was on the bench in crunch time because he fouled out, or played fewer minutes than he should have thereby contributing less than he could have, or put the opposition in the bonus/double bonus sooner than they should have, or forced a decision to play inexperienced rookie backups against seasoned veterans.  How many easy baskets has he given up trying to defend once he is in foul trouble?  Etc., etc.
- Someone failed Mileek miserably a long time ago when they didn't teach him how to defend without fouling, so he brought his terrible habits with him to college.
- This coaching staff has failed him miserably for the past 2 1/2 years and counting.  I can't believe that situation could not have been remedied by any respectable "big man's coach," which apparently doesn't exist at Valpo.  Instead, the coaching staff continues to reward and placate this total nonsensical situation by starting him and allowing him to rack up foul after foul, something that probably began in middle school and hasn't changed since.  Absolutely, the wrong message.
- What does the team get in return?  An occasional 3 point basket made at a 20% clip.
- So there you have it.  An upper classman whose undoubtedly has the highest fouling rate/40 in college basketball, which hasn't improved in 3 years, combined with his worst shooting performance in 3 years, starting for a Missouri Valley Conference basketball program that hopes to contend for a conference championship.  End of story.

Forgive me.  I wasn't a math major.  I'm trying to understand "8.0 fouls per 40 minutes played".  Mileek has played 242 minutes and has 47 fouls. I'm not sure it is a good measurement but if it is, 242/ 40 = 6.05 40 minute periods.  47/6.05 = 7.77.  Counting the Canadian trip, he has fouled out of 5 games out of 20 games.

Statistics in a void can produce what you want from them.  As an example, Let's look at points per minute played:  Mileek: 1.95   JFL: 0.65    Ben:  0.40   Sounds like Mileek is a star!!

Seriously, Mileek, like him or not, doesn't have a replacement at this time.  Nobody is as physical and can go up against guys like the big guy tonight.  Will he foul?  You bet, but is it better to allow a bunny or make a guy shoot FTs?  It just is more complicated than just one statistic.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on January 07, 2020, 12:25:31 PM

2017-18  7.5
2018-19  8.3

Rest of the roster:
Krikke 4.2
Kiser 3.8
Gordon 3.4
Robinson 3.2
Sackey 3.1
Freeman-Liberty 2.9
Clay 2.4

Observations:

This adequately sums up my concern with Mileek as well.  Thanks for adding context to the equation WH.  I cringe when I see him setting screens and banging inside for position.  Let's be honest here, he very easily could be at 10+ fouls per 40-minutes if the refs didn't feel bad for him at times.  He is a bruiser and simply cannot grasp finesse and angles.