• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2019-2020

Started by VULB#62, March 12, 2019, 10:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Pomeroy for Valpo non-conference SOS post-season except for this year
YTD -  147
Last year - 263
Previous year - 241
Matt's 1st year - 150

VUGrad1314

THAT's scheduling up. Matt's first year we loaded up because we expected to compete for the tournament this year you know we didn't. We really ARE embracing the challenge of the MVC move up and working to get up to their standards and I am sorry for feeling and saying otherwise. That's awesome!

VUGrad1314

Don't get me wrong I want to see it continue to improve and get better but we're making great progress and that deserves to be acknoweldged and celebrated. I think there is a chance we will soon have a team that can handle a series of really strong tests. Our narrow defeats to Cincinnati and Arkansas and the fact that we should hopefully have most of our key contributors back and working in some more talented players in our upcoming class tell me that. It was hard to take those losses and it was unfair to me to measure them against past failures that this team and even this coaching staff weren't necessarily responsible for. I need to view this team in relation and this staff in relation to where it was and stop comparing them so much against the Drews especially early in Matt's tenure. It was grossly unfair of me and I see that now. There is certainly improvement. We went from getting walloped by Purdue and Northwestern to narrowly losing to Cincinnati and Arkansas in just two years. As much as narrow losses suck that has to count for something. I have done a lot of poisoning the well with negativity and it has been wrong of me to do it. It's time for me to see this team and this coaching staff for what it is and that is not nearly as bad as I was projecting before. I need to figure out how to rein in my passion a bit and stop posting through the lens of intense emotion which I am VERY prone to doing. It can be hard to see sometimes and the progress might be slower and more methodical than we would like but it's there. It's happening and I hope it will become more readily apparent as the season progresses. I also hope that we are able to schedule a great non conference slate that gives us a chance for that coveted goal of a possible at large bid because there's a real chance if this team stays together we could be really dangerous and compete for the MVC next year. Javon Gordon Robinson Clay Krikke will all have another year. Sackey will have figured it out or Lorange will have bulked up enough to handle the point Villen and Mileek will have another year to show what they can do and our new kids will have get integrated and hopefully show their talent quickly. I want to see progress and I want to see it quickly but maybe I will get my wish very very soon. Go Valpo!

4throwfan

1314, liked your post, however, there is one thing that you should prepare yourself for: transfers.  I forgot the exact math figures, but the bottom line is that, on average, 3-4 players from every team in the NCAA will transfer.  If Valpo has two transfers (ones that hurt), it will be doing two better than the average, and we can't complain.  But, the transfers will at first be painful.

My only point is that we, as fans, should be mentally/emotionally prepared for that.

I only point this out because of your pointing out what VU will have next year.

EddieCabot

Quote from: 4throwfan on January 14, 2020, 08:56:21 AM
1314, liked your post, however, there is one thing that you should prepare yourself for: transfers.  I forgot the exact math figures, but the bottom line is that, on average, 3-4 players from every team in the NCAA will transfer.  If Valpo has two transfers (ones that hurt), it will be doing two better than the average, and we can't complain.  But, the transfers will at first be painful.

My only point is that we, as fans, should be mentally/emotionally prepared for that.

I only point this out because of your pointing out what VU will have next year.

I understand the numbers, but I really doubt we'll see mass departures like last season.  As usual, 5th year guys (Morgan, Gordon, Robinson) are the highest risk since they are basically "free agents" who can play immediately elsewhere.  In any case, this team seems really well connected, unlike last season, so I think that will limit transfers.   :twocents:

Just Sayin

Quote from: 4throwfan on January 14, 2020, 08:56:21 AM1314, liked your post, however, there is one thing that you should prepare yourself for: transfers.  I forgot the exact math figures, but the bottom line is that, on average, 3-4 players from every team in the NCAA will transfer.  If Valpo has two transfers (ones that hurt), it will be doing two better than the average, and we can't complain.  But, the transfers will at first be painful. My only point is that we, as fans, should be mentally/emotionally prepared for that. I only point this out because of your pointing out what VU will have next year.

I don't see anyone on the roster pouting this year. Team is more cohesive. Bench warmers know they should be bench warmers and will wait their turn.
None of the chaos or drama coming from team members as there was last year. I just don't see any transfers this year unless there is a catalyst of some kind creating some kind of major problem, not this team.

vuny98

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2020, 09:14:15 AM
Quote from: 4throwfan on January 14, 2020, 08:56:21 AM1314, liked your post, however, there is one thing that you should prepare yourself for: transfers.  I forgot the exact math figures, but the bottom line is that, on average, 3-4 players from every team in the NCAA will transfer.  If Valpo has two transfers (ones that hurt), it will be doing two better than the average, and we can't complain.  But, the transfers will at first be painful. My only point is that we, as fans, should be mentally/emotionally prepared for that. I only point this out because of your pointing out what VU will have next year.
I don't see anyone on the roster pouting this year. Team is more cohesive. Bench warmers know they should be bench warmers and will wait their turn. None of the chaos or drama coming from team members as there was last year. I just don't see any transfers this year unless there is a catalyst of some kind creating some kind of major problem, not this team.

You are more optimistic than me. There may not be pouters and fighting inside the team, but I bet there are those that are unhappy with playing time, see they may not have an opportunity to play much next year and will look for another situation.

EFV - Not playing much to date, but shows a lot of upside in my opinion. Could look elsewhere if he doesn't think he is getting an opportunity
Lorange - Same as above
Morgan - Not seeing the floor too much. As a 5th year I could see him looking.
Gordon - He should be playing more than he is IMO. I bet he feels the same way. As a 5th year I could see him looking.

And there could be some surprises as well... Krikke could want to be more of a center piece. Not sure where McMillian is at in terms of graduating, but if he does early you never know. Robinson may want to move up.

Not to say they will or should. But there will be some transfers. Hopefully only 1 or 2 and as long as it's not JFL or Clay, I think we are fine.

Just Sayin

Quote from: vuny98 on January 14, 2020, 10:53:45 AM
I don't see anyone on the roster pouting this year. Team is more cohesive. Bench warmers know they should be bench warmers and will wait their turn. None of the chaos or drama coming from team members as there was last year. I just don't see any transfers this year unless there is a catalyst of some kind creating some kind of major problem, not this team.
You are more optimistic than me. There may not be pouters and fighting inside the team, but I bet there are those that are unhappy with playing time, see they may not have an opportunity to play much next year and will look for another situation. EFV - Not playing much to date, but shows a lot of upside in my opinion. Could look elsewhere if he doesn't think he is getting an opportunity Lorange - Same as above Morgan - Not seeing the floor too much. As a 5th year I could see him looking. Gordon - He should be playing more than he is IMO. I bet he feels the same way. As a 5th year I could see him looking. And there could be some surprises as well... Krikke could want to be more of a center piece. Not sure where McMillian is at in terms of graduating, but if he does early you never know. Robinson may want to move up. Not to say they will or should. But there will be some transfers. Hopefully only 1 or 2 and as long as it's not JFL or Clay, I think we are fine.

I'm typically pessimistic and don't put my neck out too far on the kock-eyed ( kock: to get past censor. geesh) optimistic side. A pessimist is rarely disappointed. But EVG and Lorange are freshman and should expect some pine time. Don't see either one leaving. We've seen players in the past who left because they thought they should be playing more. (Who was that guy who tr. to SEMO cause he and his dad thought he wasn't playing enough?)  And they didn't do much better on their new team. Some players transferring are a good thing, like most of the players last year. They didn't buy into the team approach to basketball and too often their attitudes sucked for the most part.

I don't see Morgan leaving. His shooting numbers and playing time are down significantly from his time at UNLV. Valpo this year: [2-12 FTs(16.7%), 5-14 2pt%(35.7%), 0-5 3pt%(0%)]  And he wasn't happy there apparently. Where's he going to go with those numbers? He needs to realize that the grass in not greener on the other side and he needs to improve his value to the team, listen to the coaches and  work on his game rather than get on the transfer merry-go-round. You take your demons with you wherever you go.

I think Eron is doing fine and he knows that he is valued on this team. I see him working hard to get even more minutes rather than thinking the grass will be greener on the other side. Heck, even JFL realized the value of staying at Valpo eventually after leaving for greener pastures.

Just Sayin

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on January 14, 2020, 11:52:21 AMJFL didn't stay by choice from what I've heard. His grades didn't allow him to follow Dildy (who recruited him to Valpo) to Northwestern. That being said I'm extremely happy to have him and glad he has had tremendous success.

Source?

NativeCheesehead

That's BS to post regardless of whether it's true. Some real low blow stuff there.

4throwfan

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2020, 11:24:30 AM
Quote from: vuny98 on January 14, 2020, 10:53:45 AM
You are more optimistic than me. There may not be pouters and fighting inside the team, but I bet there are those that are unhappy with playing time, see they may not have an opportunity to play much next year and will look for another situation. EFV - Not playing much to date, but shows a lot of upside in my opinion. Could look elsewhere if he doesn't think he is getting an opportunity Lorange - Same as above Morgan - Not seeing the floor too much. As a 5th year I could see him looking. Gordon - He should be playing more than he is IMO. I bet he feels the same way. As a 5th year I could see him looking. And there could be some surprises as well... Krikke could want to be more of a center piece. Not sure where McMillian is at in terms of graduating, but if he does early you never know. Robinson may want to move up. Not to say they will or should. But there will be some transfers. Hopefully only 1 or 2 and as long as it's not JFL or Clay, I think we are fine.

I'm typically pessimistic and don't put my neck out too far on the kock-eyed ( kock: to get past censor. geesh) optimistic side. A pessimist is rarely disappointed. But EVG and Lorange are freshman and should expect some pine time. Don't see either one leaving. We've seen players in the past who left because they thought they should be playing more. (Who was that guy who tr. to SEMO cause he and his dad thought he wasn't playing enough?)  And they didn't do much better on their new team. Some players transferring are a good thing, like most of the players last year. They didn't buy into the team approach to basketball and too often their attitudes sucked for the most part.

I don't see Morgan leaving. His shooting numbers and playing time are down significantly from his time at UNLV. Valpo this year: [2-12 FTs(16.7%), 5-14 2pt%(35.7%), 0-5 3pt%(0%)]  And he wasn't happy there apparently. Where's he going to go with those numbers? He needs to realize that the grass in not greener on the other side and he needs to improve his value to the team, listen to the coaches and  work on his game rather than get on the transfer merry-go-round. You take your demons with you wherever you go.

I think Eron is doing fine and he knows that he is valued on this team. I see him working hard to get even more minutes rather than thinking the grass will be greener on the other side. Heck, even JFL realized the value of staying at Valpo eventually after leaving for greener pastures.

I'd be shocked if VU loses less than 2.  However, I think the thing that would help would be a lot of wins, especially in March.  I would think that the players would sense that it could be even better next year if they stay.  Let's hope that they get a lot of wins, and my "shocked" comment turns out to be unwarranted negativity. 

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 12:03:19 PMThat's BS to post regardless of whether it's true. Some real low blow stuff there.

:thumbsup:

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2020, 11:24:30 AMI think Eron is doing fine and he knows that he is valued on this team. I see him working hard to get even more minutes rather than thinking the grass will be greener on the other side.

Eron has only displayed transfer value as a spot up 3 point shooter where he has excelled.  :thumbsup: He hasn't effectively penetrated or created or hit his 2 point attempts.  :'(  Worse yet he has only 8 assists with 19 turn overs.  :'( :'(  That is worse ratio than Smits and Sorolla combined for in 2018-19. This is the main reason I don't want to see him playing any at point guard. Without him making major improvements I don't see him leaving and if he returns to VU with an upgraded game then 20-21 could be eye popping.  :o

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2020, 11:56:08 AM

Quote from: NotBryceDrew on January 14, 2020, 11:52:21 AMQuote removed by wh

Source?
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 12:03:19 PM
That's BS to post regardless of whether it's true. Some real low blow stuff there.

I see that NotBryceDrew's original post has been deleted, either by him or maybe by the administrator.  People say regrettable things from time to time (myself included). Hopefully, NBD thought better of what he said and pulled it.

govalpogo

Can't we wait until the end of the season to start trying to predict the exit(s)? Even the players themselves can't be sure of their own decisions yet...still way too much season left to play out. 

VUBBFan

I can see Siggy and Emil possibly transferring to get some more playing time. I think the rest of the team's transfers will be determined on how well we finish in the Valley. If we end up playing Thursday and don't end up in the finals, look out for an exodus. If we at least end up in the top 5 in the conference and win a game in the tournament, I think the players will have incentive to come back and finish it off next year.
I see Eron, Nick and Zion in lockstep with each other. If one of them transfers at least one more of them will follow leaving also. Regardless of what happens, next years' success is dependent on keeping Javon and Donavon on the team.

EddieCabot

Quote from: govalpogo on January 14, 2020, 01:33:25 PM
Can't we wait until the end of the season to start trying to predict the exit(s)? Even the players themselves can't be sure of their own decisions yet...still way too much season left to play out.

I agree with this.  If I were the coaching staff, I'd put together a presentation illustrating what happened to the 4 guys who left after last season.  All have seen significant declines in playing time and have gone from key contributors at Valpo to bit players with their new teams.  As others have stated, the grass isn't always greener.

valpo84

As has been often stated the grass is brown on both sides of the fence....

Also, would suggest that if the NBD post was removed, then copying it in other posts should be removed/withdrawn.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

NativeCheesehead

It's not just how transfers affect us but also our conference opponents. I'd be willing to bet the B10 boys are circling for Krutwig. Bo Ryan would've made him an All American in his day.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo84 on January 14, 2020, 02:19:02 PMAs has been often stated the grass is brown on both sides of the fence.... Also, would suggest that if the NBD post was removed, then copying it in other posts should be removed/withdrawn.

Perhaps the original poster removed it.

And why should it be removed by an administrator?

wh

Quote from: valpo84 on January 14, 2020, 02:19:02 PM
As has been often stated the grass is brown on both sides of the fence....

Also, would suggest that if the NBD post was removed, then copying it in other posts should be removed/withdrawn.

Excellent idea. I removed his quote from my post.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 02:43:05 PMIt's not just how transfers affect us but also our conference opponents. I'd be willing to bet the B10 boys are circling for Krutwig. Bo Ryan would've made him an All American in his day.

And what would be the incentive for Krutwig to leave? He went to the Final 4 as a Freshman for Christ's sake. He's probably going to get NBA looks regardless of where he plays even in this changed NBA because he can pass as well as score in the post. He's a bit more towards the throwback side of the spectrum when it comes to big men but his game could play in the modern game in the right system.

VUGrad1314

We were excited about the win over Toledo this year. Maybe we should have been more excited about the win over Central Michigan.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401172648

NativeCheesehead

I'll be exited for wins in St. Louis.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 14, 2020, 05:30:57 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 02:43:05 PMIt's not just how transfers affect us but also our conference opponents. I'd be willing to bet the B10 boys are circling for Krutwig. Bo Ryan would've made him an All American in his day.

And what would be the incentive for Krutwig to leave? He went to the Final 4 as a Freshman for Christ's sake. He's probably going to get NBA looks regardless of where he plays even in this changed NBA because he can pass as well as score in the post. He's a bit more towards the throwback side of the spectrum when it comes to big men but his game could play in the modern game in the right system.

I haven't watched NBA basketball consistently since the days of the Detroit Pistons "bad boys" teams with Dumars and Thomas.  So I'm certainly no expert, but since when does an undersized post player with no proven 3-pt range make it to the NBA?

Just Sayin

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 14, 2020, 08:20:27 PM
I'll be exited for wins in St. Louis.

Why would they kick you out if Valpo wins in St. Louis ?