• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2019 Football Schedule

Started by valpofb16, March 15, 2019, 03:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I have a feeling this will be a growing pains season, maybe 2-9. Nothing out of the ordinary at Valpo.

JD24

I don't think we know anything about the team at this point. Sometimes the unexpected happens such as bringing in a defensive coach and the offense improves but the defense doesn't. Who knows?

They have a couple of holes on offense based on the offense which was run by Dave. We probably won't run that offense anymore so we don't know what holes we have with the current offense. Don't seem to have a need at TE because it appears to be a secondary position in this offense.

WRs are needed but we did pick up an apparent useful part (at the minimum) in the junior transfer. That still leaves 2 or 3 WRs who need to step up. I worry about the coaches using Gessinger from scrimmage much more than he has been in the past due to durability. If he's lost it hurts the return game which was a very big part of the last regime's success.

RB? Hopefully a couple of guys step up or get healthy. Dave didn't run the ball enough in my opinion. Maybe Fox instructs the OC to do so more often. I hope so.

I think the OL will be ok. QB is a concern at this point and hopefully one of them steps up and outplays the other one or two pending Seewald's health.

Much deeper on the defensive side. LBing crew should be very solid. I worry about Petrie playing the Cru position and will until I see him do it. He may turn out to be all PFL at the position but I have to see him make plays downfield before I write him in there. If the DBs can stay healthy, I think they should be solid. 

Biggest issue is that the schedule is unfavorable early with a body bag game, a game they probably hope they can be somewhat competitive in (CCSU), two teams who they should beat (but didn't last year in one case), and then two PFL powers before getting into PFL games they probably can win. If the team can remain pretty healthy and not lose their minds due to the schedule prior to getting to the second half of the schedule, they stand a chance of maybe getting to .500 in the league. 

VULB#62

[tweet]1145712056315850753[/tweet]

I certainly hope our jerseys have a 100th anniversary patch sewn on them to commemorate this milestone. Hope I can get to the game that celebrates the era when I played (that'll be the 1920s - or so it seems  ;D )

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 02, 2019, 08:20:56 AM
[tweet]1145712056315850753[/tweet]

I certainly hope our jerseys have a 100th anniversary patch sewn on them to commemorate this milestone. Hope I can get to the game that celebrates the era when I played (that'll be the 1920s - or so it seems  ;D )

Those helmets look familiar!  Wasn't your coach George Keogan?   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Keogan     ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

It is amazing Valparaiso football has been around for 100 years. It is as old as the press box.

VULB#62

Valpo started playing the same year as the Green Bay Packers. And no, 72, it was Em Bauer (actually by that time Walt Reiner was the guy really in charge).   ;D

valpotx

Heck, Norm Amundsen and Bill Koch were teaching PE-related courses at VU when I was in school.  I had no idea until after I graduated, that they were former VU HFCs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on July 02, 2019, 10:55:41 PM
Heck, Norm Amundsen and Bill Koch were teaching PE-related courses at VU when I was in school.  I had no idea until after I graduated, that they were former VU HFCs.

Amundsen played for the Packers.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Amundsen
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Cripe, the football press box reminds me of Spanky's clubhouse from the Little Rascals episodes. They really need an upgrade.

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on July 03, 2019, 08:41:12 AM
Quote from: valpotx on July 02, 2019, 10:55:41 PM

Amundsen played for the Packers.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Amundsen

Interesting, I was not aware.  He was definitely a stocky guy. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

I think this is a good schedule, but not tough by any means. The two FCS scholarship schools are not the top tier FCS. The two Div II teams are winnable.

With a revamped coaching staff, this team has a chance to win 7 games. I'm not delusional, I don't think they will win 7, but they'll be in at least seven close games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD24

EKU is certainly an FCS playoff contender and CCSU had a very good season in the Patriot league last year. They aren't Eastern Washington or NDSU but they are pretty good.

Truman beat them last year and if they don't beat Charleston, there's bigger problems than anyone might imagine.

VULB#62

I agree with 24's response with one tiny correction.  Expectations are high at EKU for an FCS tourney spot and a top 2 finish in the OVC. That would put them at a level similar to where they were when we  played them last and got crushed. CCSU went 4-2 in the NEC (not Patriot) and 6-5 overall. In OOC play they split their two games against Patriot teams  beating Fordham but losing to Lafayette.  They lost to Columbia by 17  and lost to Ball State, an FBS program, 42-6. Not too shabby.

As far as Truman State and Charleston, our two D-II opponents, we proved last year that we were incapable of stopping TSU's ground game. That has to change. Hopefully Fox's defensive background will make that happen.

Here are my OOC predictions before we even know who will be playing for us under this new regime.

Best Case — EKU is a 4 score loss; CCSU a 2 score loss; TSU 1 score win; UofC is a 3 score win. Total = 2-2

Worst Case — EKU is a 5 score loss; CCSU a 3 score loss; TSU 1 score loss; UofC is a 3 score win. Total = 1-3

usc4valpo

We really need to schedule College of Faith again.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 23, 2019, 06:47:32 PMI agree with 24's response with one tiny correction.  Expectations are high at EKU for an FCS tourney spot and a top 2 finish in the OVC. That would put them at a level similar to where they were when we  played them last and got crushed. CCSU went 4-2 in the NEC (not Patriot) and 6-5 overall. In OOC play they split their two games against Patriot teams  beating Fordham but losing to Lafayette.  They lost to Columbia by 17  and lost to Ball State, an FBS program, 42-6. Not too shabby. As far as Truman State and Charleston, our two D-II opponents, we proved last year that we were incapable of stopping TSU's ground game. That has to change. Hopefully Fox's defensive background will make that happen. Here are my OOC predictions before we even know who will be playing for us under this new regime. Best Case — EKU is a 4 score loss; CCSU a 2 score loss; TSU 1 score win; UofC is a 3 score win. Total = 2-2 Worst Case — EKU is a 5 score loss; CCSU a 3 score loss; TSU 1 score loss; UofC is a 3 score win. Total = 1-3
Having trouble keeping my conferences right lately. I agree in terms of the results of the 4 games. I lean more towards 2-2 over the 1-3 but I don't think Valpo's close to EKU and we'll get the Sacred Heart treatment from CCSU.

valpofb16

Incoming LB Sean Curry has decommitted and will be attending Michigan State as a student, Roster at 103

Makes sense as he projected as a 3-4 OLB and our switch to the 4-2-5

Wish him the best!

usc4valpo

this is going to be a long season...

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 25, 2019, 08:21:44 PMthis is going to be a long season...
Because an incoming freshman misfit LBer for this defense is opting to go to a different school?

valpofb16

#22 Tramone Duncan has left the team, was a two year contributor at safety. tough blow

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 28, 2019, 02:32:23 PM
#22 Tramone Duncan has left the team, was a two year contributor at safety. tough blow
Hurts the depth, makes Soloman the WLU transfer more important.

Also #33 Beer has dropped off the roster.

usc4valpo

We definitely will need beer and maybe harder stuff to make it through this season...

valpofb16

People complaining about the upcoming season remember this.

Carlson year two 57 recruits
Cecchini year two 55 recruits

Players building connections with coaches at non scholarship schools is essential, if they don't fit new scheme or don't care for the new coach nothing is binding them to the school.

So far Fox has, reached out to alumni, provided new jerseys, filled an entire staff after signing day before spring, added 15 recruits after signing day. Hired and S&C coach.

So far that is an A+ in my book. His defense is proven and that's where the experience on this roster is. I would not be shocked at all to see .500 football.

(BTW Cecchinis offense expertise led the team to exactly last place in PFL offense in year 5, are we entirely sure we lost a great one?)

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on July 29, 2019, 06:40:51 AM
People complaining about the upcoming season remember this.

Carlson year two 57 recruits
Cecchini year two 55 recruits

Players building connections with coaches at non scholarship schools is essential, if they don't fit new scheme or don't care for the new coach nothing is binding them to the school.

So far Fox has, reached out to alumni, provided new jerseys, filled an entire staff after signing day before spring, added 15 recruits after signing day. Hired and S&C coach.

So far that is an A+ in my book. His defense is proven and that's where the experience on this roster is. I would not be shocked at all to see .500 football.

(BTW Cecchinis offense expertise led the team to exactly last place in PFL offense in year 5, are we entirely sure we lost a great one?)
I am with you, I like that we added 2 FBS transfers, a D2 transfer and 2 JC transfers. Good to find some experience while building your recruiting.

How often have used these sources?

usc4valpo

you really think this is a .500 team? Weren;t they 2-9 last year? and a new coach?  And no Beer?

NotBryceDrew

If Seewald is good to go the team should have a chance to be solid. Look at the stats he put up with the arguably worst OL (not that it's improved but he is capable of doing a lot with a little) in the pioneer his sophomore year.

How many teams starting a 3-4 string QBs have good seasons.

Best thing about the Chic departure and Fox hire IMO is Miran is gone so optimistic.