• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Smits transfer

Started by tiny707, March 18, 2019, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny707

Maybe Vanderbilt, Baylor, Northwestern, or Georgetown?

may know

elephtheria47

Vanderbilt is interesting but I cant see him going (playing?) at that level...he'd get eaten alive

VUSL98

Syracuse board has four pages on this topic already... Maybe guys get 7 fouls in an ACC game...

Valpo Joe

Butler - in his backyard.

crusader05

I think his family moved out to Arizona though so the pull to Indy may not be as great anymore

VU2014

Quote from: Valpo Joe on March 18, 2019, 07:47:56 PM
Butler - in his backyard.

Puke. But I could see it because he was initially recruited there but the coaching staff is different.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VUSL98 on March 18, 2019, 07:42:01 PM
Syracuse board has four pages on this topic already... Maybe guys get 7 fouls in an ACC game...

Brandon Woods to MSU made far far more sense than Smits anywhere P6.  In no uncertain words, Smits is soft and more concerned with getting his way than getting back on defense after a no-call.

I am 100% happy to see him ply his trade elsewhere only because that means we can move past the Drew 7' era and into the more nimble Lottich era.

Guys, I think this move could very well let us see the engine underneath the tarp that was this past year.  Sorolla is a far better pick n roll player and we can open up the offense to get into the flow of a game better.

There were times this year where we made 3 or more attempts per possession to feed the post and that stagnates an offense something fierce.

tiny707

Vanderbuilt(Drew), Baylor(Drew), Northwestern(Dildy) and Georgetown(Ewing).

valpolaw

Could you imagine if he went to Vanderbilt? Those fans already want Bryce canned. They'd be even more furious if he brings his former center to the SEC to get eaten alive

wh

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 18, 2019, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: VUSL98 on March 18, 2019, 07:42:01 PM

Brandon Woods to MSU made far far more sense than Smits anywhere P6.  In no uncertain words, Smits is soft and more concerned with getting his way than getting back on defense after a no-call.

I am 100% happy to see him ply his trade elsewhere only because that means we can move past the Drew 7' era and into the more nimble Lottich era.

Guys, I think this move could very well let us see the engine underneath the tarp that was this past year.  Sorolla is a far better pick n roll player and we can open up the offense to get into the flow of a game better.

There were times this year where we made 3 or more attempts per possession to feed the post and that stagnates an offense something fierce.

Derrik was pizza at the end of a Chinese buffet line. Good food, but not a good fit.

Just Sayin

P6? Lol

Grab some bench.

Just Sayin

NativeCheesehead

Nice to see we're not the only delusional fan base.

VULB#62

SU is a 2-3 zone forever. That could be a fit for him. Four other guys to defend the opponent and box out offensive rebounders. Boeheim is a legend. Smits could be transformed just because he will be overwhelmed by JB, who takes no crap from players, and will be forced to change his game. At Valpo, I believe that no matter what our mid-major coaches tried to do, he had his own mind.

valpospartan

A 7'1" center who doesn't know how to rebound (unless the ball bounces directly to him) nor dunk should get many offers.

JD24

I think Smits will get eaten alive in one of the big conferences however his height alone along with some offensive skill will likely have him end up in one of those conferences.

valpospartan

Smits transferring is only one half of the story.  He is declaring for the NBA draft - pause until laughter subsides - and if he changes his mind, will transfer from VU to play better competition.

valpopal

I guess I'm in the minority that believe Smits leaving is a big loss for the team and the program. Smits' stats compared with those of Cameron Krutwig, the conference's first-team center— Smits: PPG 12.2 Rebs. 5.7 FT% .613  Krutwig: PPG 14.7 Rebs. 7.3 FT% .575 Therefore, Krutwig had 2.5 points  and 1.6 rebounds more; however, Krutwig also played 6.3 more minutes per game 28.1 to 21.8. Yes, Krutwig was clearly the better of the two, but Smits made the conference "most improved" team and showed much advancement, especially with his footwork under the basket. If he continued next year at that rate of improvement, he would surpass Krutwig's conference first-team stats this year. Who knows, he could have made the kind of progress other Valpo bigs, such as Fernandez and Ensminger, made between their junior and senior years. Off the court, as I mentioned, Smits has been a good citizen of the university. Plus, having Rik Smits' kid on the team was good publicity for the program. The fact that other teams appear eager to recruit Derrik seems to suggest we are losing a valuable player.

bbtds

I have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico, New Mexico State or Northern Arizona. Maybe a Southern California university such as USC or UCLA but if California then most likely San Diego Toreros or San Diego State Aztecs.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:27:38 AM
I have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico State or Northern Arizona.

If he wants better competition he wouldn't be going to the WAC

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 19, 2019, 12:33:55 AM
I have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico State or Northern Arizona.

If his dad got to see him play I don't think he cares what conference he's in as long as there is a chance for an NCAA tournament appearance. In that case NM St would be his best choice. I'm sure Rik and Derrik were thinking Valpo was going to the Big Dance from the HL when Derrik committed to Valpo.

NMSU is playing Auburn as a 12 seed and that could be one of the upset specials.

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:48:05 AM

If his dad got to see him play I don't think he cares what conference he's in as long as there is a chance for an NCAA tournament appearance. In that case NM St would be his best choice. I'm sure Rik and Derrik were thinking Valpo was going to the Big Dance from the HL when Derrik committed to Valpo.

NMSU is playing Auburn as a 12 seed and that could be one of the upset specials.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1107724135608864768

bbtds

Quote from: VU2014 on March 19, 2019, 12:53:27 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:48:05 AM

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/1107724135608864768

One big word there----"hopefully"

tiny707

Syracuse? Middle Tennessee State, Virginia, or Stanford?