• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Smits transfer

Started by tiny707, March 18, 2019, 07:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on March 18, 2019, 08:34:44 PM
Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on March 18, 2019, 07:55:07 PM
Quote from: VUSL98 on March 18, 2019, 07:42:01 PM
Syracuse board has four pages on this topic already... Maybe guys get 7 fouls in an ACC game...

Brandon Woods to MSU made far far more sense than Smits anywhere P6.  In no uncertain words, Smits is soft and more concerned with getting his way than getting back on defense after a no-call.

I am 100% happy to see him ply his trade elsewhere only because that means we can move past the Drew 7' era and into the more nimble Lottich era.

Guys, I think this move could very well let us see the engine underneath the tarp that was this past year.  Sorolla is a far better pick n roll player and we can open up the offense to get into the flow of a game better.

There were times this year where we made 3 or more attempts per possession to feed the post and that stagnates an offense something fierce.

Derrik was pizza at the end of a Chinese buffet line. Good food, but not a good fit.

Truly wonderful analogy

EddieCabot

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:27:38 AM
I have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico, New Mexico State or Northern Arizona. Maybe a Southern California university such as USC or UCLA but if California then most likely San Diego Toreros or San Diego State Aztecs.

I would include the UC Irvine Anteaters and the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on March 19, 2019, 07:55:05 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:27:38 AM
I have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico, New Mexico State or Northern Arizona. Maybe a Southern California university such as USC or UCLA but if California then most likely San Diego Toreros or San Diego State Aztecs.

Yes, Smits as a 7' 2" banana slug would be perfect. I wonder how many athletes over 7 foot have been banana slugs. Anteater----that fits Smits too well. :-)

https://www.redbubble.com/people/moemie/works/30134993-uc-santa-cruz-banana-slugs-from-pulp-fiction?

p=sticker&size=small&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=g.pla+notset&country_code=US&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpsLkBRDpARIsAKoYI8y8HH_EPij39JToDbJrTQCU1vtUpSeRtPNXvb8h-pZHI1-emjxmiukaAhpzEALw_wcB

I love the fact that UCSC has the banana slug reading Plato with eyeglasses in their logo. They just should have gone with "Nerds."

vu72

I think many of you guys have a short memory.  I tend to agree with pal on this loss.  How it will effect the team will be interesting and clearly the offense will be much different.

Now, as to how Derrik may performance against "better" competition and how he will or will not be able to stay on the floor, I looked back at the numbers.

Here are his stats against perceived better competition or P5 teams:

Wake Forest  played 29 minutes, 3 fouls, 23 points and 7 boards.

West Virginia  played 34 minutes, 2 fouls, 20 points and 7 boards.

UNLV  played 31 minutes, 4 fouls, 20 points and 12 boards.

Texas A & M  played 26 minutes, 1 foul, 8 points and 6 boards.

GW  played 28 minutes, 3 fouls, 11 points and 9 boards.

The only real disaster was against Western Kentucky which was our very first meaningful game, where he way under performed, playing only 8 minutes, getting 5 fouls with 4 points and 2 boards.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2019, 08:43:20 AM
I think many of you guys have a short memory.  I tend to agree with pal on this loss.  How it will effect the team will be interesting and clearly the offense will be much different.

Now, as to how Derrik may performance against "better" competition and how he will or will not be able to stay on the floor, I looked back at the numbers.

The only real disaster was against Western Kentucky which was our very first meaningful game, where he way under performed, playing only 8 minutes, getting 5 fouls with 4 points and 2 boards.

I would say that despite their P5 status those teams didn't play that well against us except for MAYBE West Virginia & Texas A&M. Wake Forest wasn't horrible. But GW & UNLV we're absolutely horrible.

crusader05

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-spt-mens-basketball-valparaiso-derrik-smits-st-0319-story.html

I don't remember seeing the article here so apologies of this is a repost.

One thing that I thought was interesting: Lottich is supposedly having interviews with his players this week yet it reads like he reached out to Derrik about if he's coming back. Makes me wonder if he wanted to move on a recruit and knew Smits was a likely transfer and wanted to approach it sooner rather than drag it out.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:27:38 AMI have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico, New Mexico State or Northern Arizona. Maybe a Southern California university such as USC or UCLA but if California then most likely San Diego Toreros or San Diego State Aztecs.
He may be a best fit at Saint Mary's. They run the type of offense and play at the tempo I think Smits fits. Any team which likes to get up and down the court he's a bad fit for and any conference in which the bigs are real bangers he's a bad fit for.

vu72

I had a chat with Matt Bowen at the Evansville game and asked if he was involved with recruiting.  He said yes, and that the whole recruiting process has changed with all the transfers going on.  I would expect a transfer and probably one where he needs to sit as next year's team is very senior heavy.  If we can get a stud transfer who sit a year, then the 20-21 teams will have the transfer, Robinson, Gordon, Freeman, Mileek, Clay and Sackey as the core--presuming others don't bail as well.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on March 19, 2019, 08:43:20 AM

Yes, the team will miss Derrik's points.  What won't be missed is his wildly inconsistent scoring from half to half and game to game. Unfortunately, you can toss several players who are coming back in the same bucket, including Marcus, Bakari, and even Ryan - and, lest I forget, Micah from the season before. Whatever we do next season, we must have a nucleus of 3 or 4 players who can perform at a reasonable level of consistency.   

Valpo89

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on March 19, 2019, 10:35:28 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 19, 2019, 12:27:38 AMI have to believe his dad wants him at Grand Canyon, Arizona or Arizona State. Possibly New Mexico, New Mexico State or Northern Arizona. Maybe a Southern California university such as USC or UCLA but if California then most likely San Diego Toreros or San Diego State Aztecs.
He may be a best fit at Saint Mary's. They run the type of offense and play at the tempo I think Smits fits. Any team which likes to get up and down the court he's a bad fit for and any conference in which the bigs are real bangers he's a bad fit for.

That's too far away from the Phoenix area where Rik is living. You're not getting the geographical goal of the family. Although that may not happen anyway. Some head coaches are capable of seeing the flaws in Smits game.

JD24

Quote from: bbtds on March 20, 2019, 12:14:26 AMThat's too far away from the Phoenix area where Rik is living. You're not getting the geographical goal of the family. Although that may not happen anyway. Some head coaches are capable of seeing the flaws in Smits game.
....and if the interest nearer to Phoenix isn't there?

Might be best to avoid letting me know what you think I'm not getting.

valpotx

The school should reconsider allowing our players to take summer school classes.  We are just grooming kids to leave their last season.

Our entire offense was run around this guy.  He won't get that elsewhere.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

But, aren't summer classes the way they keep the team together for summer workouts?

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2019, 01:33:52 AM
The school should reconsider allowing our players to take summer school classes.  We are just grooming kids to leave their last season.

Our entire offense was run around this guy.  He won't get that elsewhere.

This has crossed my mind as well.  We develop players and then, if they have some all conference type success, their ego says "I can play with the bigs"!  And we are left holding the bag.

Our system would have worked fine running through Derrik if only we had anybody who could make a 3 point shot.  I certainly hope we replace the defectors with qulaity kids who want to be at Valpo and who can make a basket from time to time.

NativeCheesehead

Don't allow the players to have the chance to graduate early they won't come here. Plain and simple. That's standard practice these days.

M

Not allowing athletes to go to Summer school is a dumb solution  :-X :crazy:

valpotx

Why?  You are paying for 4 years of school, and only getting 3 years of play, if Smits would have left last season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

I understand the awesome environment at GCU, but the WAC....

If he wants to play better competition it's a head scratcher. I know his family lives AZ now but it's just strange to me if he goes this route.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1110941329465503746?s=21

VUGrad1314

It tells you that there's probably more to the story that wasn't mentioned. I don't think he liked playing for Lottich who actually demanded defensive effort without complaining and he also didn't like splitting time with Sorolla and it's as simple as that. The family relocation simply provides a convenient pretext especially if he dies end up at GCU. But buyer beware. If he thought playing for Lottich was too much or too intense for him then he will surely hate playing for Majerle who constantly yells at and berates his players even publicly.

valpo84

Thunder Dan from the Central Michigan Chippewas!

What other former Phoenix Suns player coached Grand Canyon and also coached Thunder Dan?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUGrad1314

crusadermoe

GCU is in the center of Phoenix. 

Great campus life.  Lots to do.  Great scenery.  Constant sunshine in Sept-May.  NBA coach.   

Comparisons to VU...

Am I missing anything?

valpolaw

Grand Canyon has a basketball team? News to me. Interesting switch if he goes there.

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on March 27, 2019, 02:32:29 PMConstant sunshine in Sept-May. 

And more constant sunshine June-October,  temps approaching 120F.