• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman is transferring...(Bakari as well)

Started by AlecPeters101, March 19, 2019, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj

Think about what you wrote, how you wrote it, and regarding who you wrote it about. As I said before, it doesn't come across well.
I believe that we will win.

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 23, 2019, 09:18:29 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2019, 08:36:17 AM
This is going to read like sour grapes, but here it goes.  Javon was a fine player.  I don't think he was a program changer as some on here think.  I just looked at Tevonn's freshman year and found similar results.

Javon:  Minutes played 31.2  FG %: 45.2  3 pt %: 28.9  FT%: 69.3  Rebounds: 4.3  Scoring: 11.0  66 assts, 53 tos and 60 steals

Tevonn: Minutes played 27.1 FG%: 44.4  3 pt %: 34.2  FT%: 71.8  Rebounds: 3.4   Scoring: 10.3  60 assts, 56 tos and 26 steals.

Very similar.  The difference?  Tevonn played on a team loaded with good players.  Javon was relied on to make thing happen so he had the ball in his hands much more.  Will we miss him?  Certainly.  Can he be replaced?  Yes.

Keep comparing Tevonn to Javon. Get back to us in about six years. Compare their career paths. I suspect that it is Tevonn who "has an overinflated  (sic) opinion of his abilities."
Really?? You are going to say that about Tevonn Walker?? When did Tevonn Walker EVER talk about himself, blow his own horn, complain to a ref or do anything other than work his ass off.  VU72 is making the comparison not Tevonn. Tevonn could easily be placed in the top 25 players to ever play at VU.  VU72 is correct when comparing the two from a statistical perspective, which looks even better for Tevonn when extrapolated out to 40 minutes.
Tevonn: FG%: 44.4  3 pt%: 34.2  FT%: 71.8  Rebounds: 5.0 Scoring: 15.5  2.5 AST  2.3 TO and 1.6 STL 
Javon:   FG%: 45.2  3 pt%: 28.9  FT%: 69.3  Rebounds: 5.5 Scoring: 14.1  2.6 AST  2.1 TO and 2.3 STL
I would go to war with both of these players.  Javon better at getting the steal because of his length and the way he played the passing lanes, but Tevonn was a better on ball defender IMO. We definitely will miss Javon and I wish that he would have stayed.  It would have been a pleasure to have watched him play.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Just Sayin

Quote from: FWalum on March 23, 2019, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on March 23, 2019, 09:18:29 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 23, 2019, 08:36:17 AM
This is going to read like sour grapes, but here it goes.  Javon was a fine player.  I don't think he was a program changer as some on here think.  I just looked at Tevonn's freshman year and found similar results.

Javon:  Minutes played 31.2  FG %: 45.2  3 pt %: 28.9  FT%: 69.3  Rebounds: 4.3  Scoring: 11.0  66 assts, 53 tos and 60 steals

Tevonn: Minutes played 27.1 FG%: 44.4  3 pt %: 34.2  FT%: 71.8  Rebounds: 3.4   Scoring: 10.3  60 assts, 56 tos and 26 steals.

Very similar.  The difference?  Tevonn played on a team loaded with good players.  Javon was relied on to make thing happen so he had the ball in his hands much more.  Will we miss him?  Certainly.  Can he be replaced?  Yes.

Keep comparing Tevonn to Javon. Get back to us in about six years. Compare their career paths. I suspect that it is Tevonn who "has an overinflated  (sic) opinion of his abilities."
Really?? You are going to say that about Tevonn Walker?? When did Tevonn Walker EVER talk about himself, blow his own horn, complain to a ref or do anything other than work his ass off.  VU72 is making the comparison not Tevonn. Tevonn could easily be placed in the top 25 players to ever play at VU.  VU72 is correct when comparing the two from a statistical perspective, which looks even better for Tevonn when extrapolated out to 40 minutes.
Tevonn: FG%: 44.4  3 pt%: 34.2  FT%: 71.8  Rebounds: 5.0 Scoring: 15.5  2.5 AST  2.3 TO and 1.6 STL 
Javon:   FG%: 45.2  3 pt%: 28.9  FT%: 69.3  Rebounds: 5.5 Scoring: 14.1  2.6 AST  2.1 TO and 2.3 STL
I would go to war with both of these players.  Javon better at getting the steal because of his length and the way he played the passing lanes, but Tevonn was a better on ball defender IMO. We definitely will miss Javon and I wish that he would have stayed.  It would have been a pleasure to have watched him play.

Tevonn thought he was ready for the NBA. Really? lol

We will see how Javon will do in the next few years. Comparing only one freshman season of statistics is hardly a representative basis on which to make the argument you are attempting to make about Tevon being the better player. We simply haven't seen enough of Javon.   I think from what I've seen in Javon that this young diamond in the rough is going to be and would have been if he had stayed at Valpo, a dominant force in college hoops, something Tevonn never lived up to. But we must wait to find out. Time will tell.

Right now neither of us have enough facts and evidence to know who is better.  So we are left with opinion and speculation.  Which I am happy to do.

JD24

Quote from: mj on March 23, 2019, 11:47:23 AMThink about what you wrote, how you wrote it, and regarding who you wrote it about. As I said before, it doesn't come across well.
I guess you'll either have to spell it out or we'll just move on.

FWalum

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 23, 2019, 02:14:49 PMTevonn thought he was ready for the NBA. Really? lol

We will see how Javon will do in the next few years. Comparing only one freshman season of statistics is hardly a representative basis on which to make the argument you are attempting to make about Tevon being the better player. We simply haven't seen enough of Javon.   I think from what I've seen in Javon that this young diamond in the rough is going to be and would have been if he had stayed at Valpo, a dominant force in college hoops, something Tevonn never lived up to. But we must wait to find out. Time will tell.

Right now neither of us have enough facts and evidence to know who is better.  So we are left with opinion and speculation.  Which I am happy to do.

Once again you either read things into what is being said or you have a thought stuck in your head and you don't really evaluate the post.  NO ONE IS SAYING that Javon might not be a better player than Tevonn.  Who said anything about the NBA?? Tevonn did declare for the draft LIKE JUST ABOUT EVERY OTHER half way decent player out there... but NO ONE said that he was going to the NBA. Tevonn never walked around saying he was going to be drafted yet your language makes it sound like he was an arrogant player touting his abilities.  Tevonn Walker was a hell of a player for VU and the fact that he is starting and averaging double figures while still probably drawing a tough defensive assignment in the German ProA league is proof of his abilities.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

tiny707

NativeCheesehead

So the question is always: Do you commit to a school or to a coach? In this case JF committed to an assistant. Twice. I'm all for players rights but this doesn't feel much different than the Skara situation.

Just Sayin

Quote2019 LEFTY DRIESELL DEFENSIVE ALL-AMERICA TEAM
Barry Brown Jr. 6-3 Sr. Kansas State
Shaq Buchanan 6-3 Sr. Murray State
Desure Buie 6-0 Sr. Hofstra
Brandon Clarke 6-9 Jr. Gonzaga
Mamadi Diakite 6-9 Jr. Virginia
Tacko Fall 7-6 Sr. UCF
Bruno Fernando 6-10 So. Maryland
Javon Freeman 6-3 Fr. Valparaiso
Daniel Gafford 6-11 So. Arkansas
Jonathan Galloway 6-10 Sr. UC Irvine
JaKeenan Gant 6-8 Sr. Louisiana
Ashton Hagans 6-6 Fr. Kentucky
De'Andre Hunter 6-8 So. Virginia
Tre Jones 6-3 Fr. Duke
Javon Levi 5-10 So. UT Rio Grande Valley
Tariq Owens 6-10 Sr. Texas Tech
Osun Osunniyi 6-10 Fr. St. Bonaventure
Laquincy Rideau 6-1 Jr. USF
Galen Robinson Jr. 6-1 Sr. Houston
Chris Silva 6-9 Sr. South Carolina
Justin Simon 6-5 Jr. St. John's
Zavier Simpson 6-0 Jr. Michigan
Matisse Thybulle 6-5 Sr. Washington
Kenny Williams 6-4 Sr. North Carolina
Zion Williamson 6-7 Fr. Duke

https://kadn.com/gant-named-to-lefty-driesell-defensive-all-america-team/

bbtds

Man, Javon, that was really funny but oklahoma really wanted to fire Matt. I was truly sweating it out.

bbtds

See, Skara, you can make decisions for yourself!

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 19, 2019, 03:50:40 PM
I really wish those of us who expressed our concerns could've been proven wrong. But, at this point - it's worse than the doomsday predictors thought possible. Scary thing is ... I think it's only begun. More to come...?

bbtds

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on March 19, 2019, 06:06:08 PMMaybe Matt will be the high-character guy we know him to be. Maybe he steps down. He's a smart guy. Degree from Stanford. Made good money overseas more than likely. And made good money (you'd have to figure) while coaching at Valpo.

My God! Could you imagine if Matt had actually resigned.

Whew!!!!

valpolaw

Im glad Javon decided to stay but still question whether Lottich should be our guy. Regardless we will see how he does next year and I hope he does very well

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on March 21, 2019, 12:10:24 PMI believe all 3 who transferred and especially Javon could learn to sincerely regret it.

I will honestly say I didn't think he would regret it before he actually went through with the transfer.

valpopal

And the Javon Freeman spot at Northwestern goes to Chase Audige. How good is it to see that name instead of Javon's in the following?

[tweet]1126641428292079616[/tweet]

bbtds

Story on Iowa website about Evelyn making a visit to Iowa City.

https://amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/1274080001

Valparaiso guard Bakari Evelyn will take an official visit to Iowa from June 7-9, he confirmed to the Register on Wednesday. Iowa assistant coach Sherman Dillard offered him a scholarship during a phone call a couple weeks ago, before the dead period started May 16.

Evelyn said he could "possibly" visit Rhode Island, in part depending on how his Iowa visit goes. He holds offers from Iowa, Rhode Island, NMSU and Portland State.

What are the Hawkeyes thinking?

usc4valpo

I have no problem with Javon Freeman exploring the possibilities and coming back to roost. it would be interesting to understand his specific reasoning to come back as I think Valpo can get some lessons learned on what they could do to improve.
College basketball is going through significant changes recently and Valpo needs to keep up.

vuny98

Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2019, 01:04:17 AMStory on Iowa website about Evelyn making a visit to Iowa City. https://amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/1274080001 Valparaiso guard Bakari Evelyn will take an official visit to Iowa from June 7-9, he confirmed to the Register on Wednesday. Iowa assistant coach Sherman Dillard offered him a scholarship during a phone call a couple weeks ago, before the dead period started May 16. Evelyn said he could "possibly" visit Rhode Island, in part depending on how his Iowa visit goes. He holds offers from Iowa, Rhode Island, NMSU and Portland State. What are the Hawkeyes thinking?

So the only explanation I have here is that a guy that has experience and only takes a scholarship up for 1 year is a nice thing to have on a team that has a space open. You need to fill that space with a warm body, so might as well take someone that you can throw in the game if needed. Bakari had a good year the season before last, last year was rough on several levels, but he has likely shown enough to know he can hold his own on the court. Just like we took Lavendar for a year (and he played a bigger role than we would have expected/hoped he would). Bakari, Markus, Sorolla. They are all looking at bigger schools and will likely land with one, not because they have dominated the lower competition, but because they are serviceable and a known quantity and at only a 1 year scholarship, low "cost"/risk.

bbtds

Thought you wanted to put this post here as I believe it refers to Bakari.

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 29, 2019, 07:47:53 PMSomeone should message his future coach about his prolific end of half/game last shot abilities.  To be fair, it's on Lottich after the first 7 tries so this is just being snarky.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 30, 2019, 06:35:37 AM
I have no problem with Javon Freeman exploring the possibilities and coming back to roost. it would be interesting to understand his specific reasoning to come back as I think Valpo can get some lessons learned on what they could do to improve.
College basketball is going through significant changes recently and Valpo needs to keep up.

My sentiments as well.  If there were a like button on the mobile site I'd click it!

bbtds

Quote from: vuny98 on May 30, 2019, 09:15:04 AMSo the only explanation I have here is that a guy that has experience and only takes a scholarship up for 1 year is a nice thing to have on a team that has a space open. You need to fill that space with a warm body, so might as well take someone that you can throw in the game if needed. Bakari had a good year the season before last, last year was rough on several levels, but he has likely shown enough to know he can hold his own on the court

It will be interesting to see if Bakari can turn things around and have a much better year at a place like Iowa, New Mexico State, Rhode Island or Portland State. It might tell us something about our coach and his staff.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: vuny98 on May 30, 2019, 09:15:04 AM
Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2019, 01:04:17 AMStory on Iowa website about Evelyn making a visit to Iowa City. https://amp.hawkcentral.com/amp/1274080001 Valparaiso guard Bakari Evelyn will take an official visit to Iowa from June 7-9, he confirmed to the Register on Wednesday. Iowa assistant coach Sherman Dillard offered him a scholarship during a phone call a couple weeks ago, before the dead period started May 16. Evelyn said he could "possibly" visit Rhode Island, in part depending on how his Iowa visit goes. He holds offers from Iowa, Rhode Island, NMSU and Portland State. What are the Hawkeyes thinking?

So the only explanation I have here is that a guy that has experience and only takes a scholarship up for 1 year is a nice thing to have on a team that has a space open. You need to fill that space with a warm body, so might as well take someone that you can throw in the game if needed. Bakari had a good year the season before last, last year was rough on several levels, but he has likely shown enough to know he can hold his own on the court. Just like we took Lavendar for a year (and he played a bigger role than we would have expected/hoped he would). Bakari, Markus, Sorolla. They are all looking at bigger schools and will likely land with one, not because they have dominated the lower competition, but because they are serviceable and a known quantity and at only a 1 year scholarship, low "cost"/risk.

Do we think that the coaching staff was somewhat happy to see any of these transfers leave?  Since many of them were truly mediocre in the MVC, don't some of us think that it's a win to see them depart rather than suffer them an additional year?

I think the part that hurts more is that it happened in bulk because of the way the recruiting classes came together.  If we had just lost Bakari and Sorolla for example, would that have been a net loss?  I suppose the major failure would have been if our coaching staff stopped recruiting because they expected a large returning class.

On the surface they were prepared, but the quality has yet to prove itself.  We could be returning to the same level of skill or worse for all that we know.  But as some have said, maybe we can build around players that want to be here as opposed to players that feel entitled and are whiny. (see Smits and Bakari)

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: bbtds on May 30, 2019, 11:50:52 AM
Thought you wanted to put this post here as I believe it refers to Bakari.

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on May 29, 2019, 07:47:53 PMSomeone should message his future coach about his prolific end of half/game last shot abilities.  To be fair, it's on Lottich after the first 7 tries so this is just being snarky.

Yes, thank you.  Sometimes posting in a hurry doesn't pan out!