• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Breaking news!!

Started by vu72, April 22, 2019, 01:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

And maybe part of the anwser on the possible transfer.  Just saw this posted by VUTV:

BREAKING NEWS FROM THE 15 AT 5 NEWSROOM: 4 Students (including 2 Men's Basketball players) arrested and booked in the Porter County Jail on Drug Charges. Find out more information this evening on 15 News at 5.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

oklahomamick

Micah was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Just like last time....
CRUSADERS!!!

VUBBFan

NativeCheesehead

I'll spare this thread the politics but I'll just say this: If it's weed I really don't care. Stupid, very stupid, but not worthy of dismissal in and of itself.

elephtheria47

Appears both have been charged with possessing marijuana (misdemeanor)....could they have been celebrating a popular day this weekend?

VUBBFan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 22, 2019, 01:39:56 PMI'll spare this thread the politics but I'll just say this: If it's weed I really don't care. Stupid, very stupid, but not worthy of dismissal in and of itself.

The charges are for possession of: MJ/HASH/SALVIA. Which I believe is Weed. Arrested along with Micah was Nailah Bush. I think that is his girlfriend and was previously arrested with him last year.

VUBBFan

This is Micah's second time being in trouble with the police while at VU. I don't think this is going to work out very well with him staying on the team.

M

What's been the punishment for this in the past? Sit 2 games, sit 2 weeks? Is this Micah's send offense for the same thing? His punishment worse then Mileek's?

crusader05

I believe his charges were dropped last time so this is only his first charge in regards to violations I believe.

4throwfan

Was the "sit two weeks" punishment for alcohol?  Is an illegal narcotic possession different (politics aside)?

Does the team/athletics dept/university have a set policy?

vu72

This is just another terrible reflection on the coaching staff.  Players with terrible judgement but not very well supervised or instructed in the first place.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

I'm sure there's something in the rule book. Still just a misdemeanor, hard for me to get that worked up about it, unless Lottich specifically told him one more time and he's gone.

bbtds

How about we wait to hear all the details?  We seem to get ourselves in trouble when we jump to conclusions. Myself included.

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Who's the second person?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbtds

valpopal

Were Mileek and Micah auditioning for Dumb and Dumber? How can they be so foolish, especially Micah for a second time?  :crazy:

VU2014

They have to be smarter. Micah should face a stiffer team punishment since it's his second offense.

Even if it's just weed they need to be better representatives for the program. This isn't a good look on the coaching staff either. Clean it up and act more professional. If these guys want to go home pro they need to grow up and treating they're amateur basketball careers with more professionalism.

wh

humbleopinion

I'm not making excuses, but when I was in college, the police would have driven on without calling in back up or sniffing at doors.

Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: vu72 on April 22, 2019, 02:24:26 PM
This is just another terrible reflection on the coaching staff.  Players with terrible judgement but not very well supervised or instructed in the first place.

I think we can rest assured they've "been instructed" ad nauseum. Beyond that, what are the coaches supposed to do?  They live a life away from the ARC 95% of the time. They either stay away from trouble, or they don't.     

elephtheria47

I agree the charge does not seem like a major deal. However, it's still criminal activity that is now publicized and will scrutinize everyone involved with the team. Obviously, they're their own individuals but they have to be smarter. It was the biggest pot smoking day of the year (4/20); of course the police are going to be on the lookout for marijuana use. As others have said,  the process has to play out but they are representatives of the university. I'd venture to guess there are graduated actions to take if there are founded violations. Disappointment for Mileek and frustration for Micah who just went through this ordeal last year. Who knows what conditions or actions were taken last year with Micah, but on the surface I'd imagine they would be similar with Mileek for a first (known) violation. Have a sitdown with them, give them a drug test to see if it is in their system, and take appropriate actions. Ultimately, they could be completely cleared of any wrongdoing. The more frustrating aspects are that players on the team are continuing to engage in known/publicized activities that are more selfish than team oriented, that it's another negative headline in a season filled with them and during a time where there shouldnt be any more, and that this broke and the coaches had to handle it while a potential recruit (zion) was on campus. The team isnt going to come closer together when individuals are participating in this type of activity. At what point are the problems individualized or systematic? Do other players on the team think they can get a "free pass" the first time?

tiny707

Not happy with VUTV breaking the story...not promoting the "Valpo Brand". They should be banned from our NCAA news conference next year.

NativeCheesehead

Don't get me wrong, these guys, if nothing else, do deserve a little public embarrassment. But why does VUTV report on this? I don't follow them so I don't know how they operate. Do they report every student's arrest?