• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Preseason Canada Trip

Started by bbtds, August 05, 2019, 07:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Wow, closed out the game with a 14-0 run to win by 4.  Javon 27 points, Daniel 23, Mileek 14.  Nice! Even more, we were playing back-to-back games in 24 hours.  Concordia was not. 

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: wh on August 11, 2019, 02:51:07 PM
Wow, closed out the game with a 14-0 run to win by 4.  Javon 27 points, Daniel 23, Mileek 14.  Nice! Even more, we were playing back-to-back games in 24 hours.  Concordia was not.

I was only able to catch the final 6 minutes, which turned out awesome!  Nice little 14-0 run.  Can someone update us on what seems to be the biggest problem defensively?  I firmly believe these guys will gel, but was it our perimeter defense exclusively?  Whats up?

rustnvrsleeps@yahoo.com

Quote from: govalpogo on August 11, 2019, 02:49:07 PM
I could almost hear Lottich lean over to JFL with 6 minutes to go and say, "Alright, go get the win."   This sure wasn't like playing Concordia Wisconsin!  Those boys could shoot (helped by being left wide open alot).  I am concerned with the list of DNPs already getting longer...hoping for just an abundance of caution.  Interested to see the box score.
I'm not gonna fall for that again, it will be self-inflicted pain if I'm gonna wonder all year long  if Fazekas is gonna play "one game at a time". I get he's a nice kid but.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpotx

Good comeback win.  Clay is a freak athlete, he is going to be a lot of fun to watch.  Maybe a Larry Owens type going back to the Mid-Con/ORU days?  Since when did Sackey become Senior year Erik Buggs?  JFL staying is huge this season, as we can be competitive.  Without him, it would have been a step back.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Wow. We are scoring at a high level. Players that needed to step up have. The team showed tremendous fight today. Maybe I was wrong to be so pessimistic.  These are good early season results against polished teams that  have been practicing together all year including a massive come from behind victory. Most importantly we went 2-0 in a back to back.

vu72

I watched a little on replay as I was on the highway during the game.  Very impressive stats.  Mileek 4 for 4 from the 3?  He will be a challenge matchup.  More assts than TOs against a team that basicly shot 50% from the 3.  Defense is always slow  and we have SEVEN new guys.  Very encouraging.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Mileek's release on his 3's looks a lot smoother.  It is quicker, and doesn't appear to reach straight up as much as it used to.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FieldGoodie05

Through (2) games here are the averages per game:

FGM-A
68-137 (49.64%)

3PM-A
16-50 (32.00%)

FTM-A
26-32 (81.25%)

OREB 7.5
DREB 25.5
Rebounds per game (33)

AST per game (16)
TO per game (15.5)
A/TO is 1.032

Steals per game (10)
Blocks per game (3.5)

Points for 89
Points against 84

VU2014

Is coach Townsend not on the Canada trip? I haven't seen him on the bench the last two games

FieldGoodie05

Fazekas was on the bench in street clothes today, watched the 2nd half just now and confirmed he was there in the final huddle standing and cheering on his teammates.  For what it's worth...

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: VU2014 on August 11, 2019, 07:41:07 PM
Is coach Townsend not on the Canada trip? I haven't seen him on the bench the last two games

Is he the drunk cameraman?  🤪

I have also not seen him, I think Rob Halloway is the shorter muscle bound guy sitting next to Gore, right?

VU2014

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on August 11, 2019, 07:44:16 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on August 11, 2019, 07:41:07 PM

Is he the drunk cameraman?  🤪

I have also not seen him, I think Rob Halloway is the shorter muscle bound guy sitting next to Gore, right?

Yep, that's coach Holloway

wh

Thank you to whomever operated the video camera that allowed us to follow the game. Much appreciated!

valpopal

Quote from: wh on August 11, 2019, 09:03:29 PM
Thank you to whomever operated the video camera that allowed us to follow the game. Much appreciated!

I believe that would be Morgan, one of the team managers, who did the best she could considering the poor on-site wifi circumstances. And yes, well appreciated! She certainly did a much better job keeping up with the action than the McGill camera person in the previous game who forgot at times to follow the teams from one end of the court to the other.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpopal on August 11, 2019, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: wh on August 11, 2019, 09:03:29 PM

I believe that would be Morgan, one of the team managers, who did the best she could considering the poor on-site wifi circumstances. And yes, well appreciated! She certainly did a much better job keeping up with the action than the McGill camera person in the previous game who forgot at times to follow the teams from one end of the court to the other.

No comparison, not sure what was happening with McGill.  Someone pointed out it was feasible the same person was keeping the tv score and operating the camera.

VUBBFan

Quote from: valpopal on August 11, 2019, 09:14:35 PM
Quote from: wh on August 11, 2019, 09:03:29 PMThank you to whomever operated the video camera that allowed us to follow the game. Much appreciated!

Yeah, that was Morgan. The managers should be commended for setting up the broadcast dealing with the equipment they had available. I say great job thinking about us fans.

https://twitter.com/MorganFifield/status/1160627322212507648

https://twitter.com/ValpoMbb/status/1160580032882008064

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on August 11, 2019, 01:37:12 PM
It takes a true basketball junkie to watch a grainy a$$ stream on Facebook to follow your team when it's this nice outside. So, yes I'm watching.

Me too.

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on August 11, 2019, 04:47:13 PMI watched a little on replay as I was on the highway during the game.
Ok, I'll admit it. It didn't stop me from watching Valpo score the last 14 points and win the game. Don't let the state troopers know.  :-) :-(

CPkValpoFan

Although I live in Texas, I first took an interest in Valpo when Bryce Drew made "the shot".   As a MidMajor basketball fan, I have always had Valpo on my radar.  During the
Alec Peters years I took a much greater interest.  Over the last few years I have been reading the forum but not a member.  I have been a little grieved with the ditch Matt Lottich
theme during the bumpy road of the last few seasons and especially with the defections this spring.    However, I think (and it has been reinforced with this Canada trip), all things
worked together for good.  Having watched the team the last few years, it seemed so disjointed and often like the "gang who could not shoot straight (or pass)".  Watching the
team the past two games in Canada has really been encouraging.   I know their defense and offensive rebounding needs some work, but this team has some serious talent.
Before Donovan Clay gets through with his Valpo career there will be many D1 programs wondering how they could have missed him.   Even though the team is on the short side, it looks so
much better than last year's team.   It pained me to watch the play of last year's seven footers.    I think there will be many in the Missouri Valley who will underestimate Valpo to
their own detriment.  Go Matt Lottich and the Crusaders!!!

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: CPkValpoFan on August 12, 2019, 11:48:17 AM
Although I live in Texas, I first took an interest in Valpo when Bryce Drew made "the shot".   As a MidMajor basketball fan, I have always had Valpo on my radar.  During the
Alec Peters years I took a much greater interest.  Over the last few years I have been reading the forum but not a member.  I have been a little grieved with the ditch Matt Lottich
theme during the bumpy road of the last few seasons and especially with the defections this spring.    However, I think (and it has been reinforced with this Canada trip), all things
worked together for good.  Having watched the team the last few years, it seemed so disjointed and often like the "gang who could not shoot straight (or pass)".  Watching the
team the past two games in Canada has really been encouraging.   I know their defense and offensive rebounding needs some work, but this team has some serious talent.
Before Donovan Clay gets through with his Valpo career there will be many D1 programs wondering how they could have missed him.   Even though the team is on the short side, it looks so
much better than last year's team.   It pained me to watch the play of last year's seven footers.    I think there will be many in the Missouri Valley who will underestimate Valpo to

Thanks for joining in CPk, it's always nice to have more thoughts and observations on the forum.  Please keep contributing and growing our community!

vu72

Welcome CPk!  Good observations on the team.  Not sure that I would agree though that we "are on the short side".  Today's game, from the pros on down is more "5 out" rather than a traditional role model.  We have athletes galore and presumably ones (it really won't be difficult)that can shoot better than last year!

As for size, true, we don't have the seven footers but we do go 6'10, 6'9 and two at 6'8.  I think some of the offset will be bigger guards with guys like Robinson at 6'5 and Clay at 6'7.  So may end up starting a lineup something like 6'8. 6'8, 6'5, 6'3 and 6'3.  Not too tiny!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: CPkValpoFan on August 12, 2019, 11:48:17 AM
Alec Peters years I took a much greater interest.  Over the last few years I have been reading the forum but not a member. I have been a little grieved with the ditch Matt Lottich
worked together for good.
  Having watched the team the last few years, it seemed so disjointed and often like the "gang who could not shoot straight (or pass)".  Watching the

The entire starting 5 in the McGill game were returning players (and that's not accounting for Fazekas).  Imagine if Smits, Sorolla, Golder and Evelyn were still here, 3 of whom would have been expecting to start again this year.  Unless these "me over team" players got their way, this team would be self destructing by now.  Not only have we avoided that prospect, we got some some talented freshmen in their place.  So, to your point, truer words were never spoken that "all things worked together for good." 

FieldGoodie05

justducky

Quote from: wh on August 12, 2019, 01:18:17 PMThe entire starting 5 in the McGill game were returning players (and that's not accounting for Fazekas).  Imagine if Smits, Sorolla, Golder and Evelyn were still here, 3 of whom would have been expecting to start again this year.  Unless these "me over team" players got their way, this team would be self destructing by now.  Not only have we avoided that prospect, we got some some talented freshmen in their place.  So, to your point, truer words were never spoken that "all things worked together for good." 

We will never know for certain what that returning group of seniors might have produced but I agree that they would likely have fallen short of our and their expectations. In truth I would take this young team finding ways to compete for a 16-15 record over Smits and Company struggling in for a disappointing 20-11 effort. Yes we may have lost a little in the tradeoff but the future does look and feel a bit brighter.  :thumbsup: