• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #1: VUFB @ EKU 8/29. 6:00pm

Started by VULB#62, August 25, 2019, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 26, 2019, 09:13:09 PM
Duncan has been given the nod for EKU.....

I am SO hoping this staff knows better how to further Chris' development, decision making and helps him slow the game  down for him. This is it for him.

.............. or have at least installed an offense that will make it easy for him to use his natural tools properly.

usc4valpo

Seewald is a senior? Why would it not be his last year?

valpofb16

Jimmy has another year of eligibility. But two shoulder surgeries would be hard for anyone to come back from. What started out as an extremely promising career will most likely end up being one that could never get back off the ground due to injury. I am not sure whether the previous coaches made it worse by forcing him in games last year or if he was much more hurt than let on. I feel horrible for the kid, tough couple of years.

VULB#62

EKU Preview video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORlIu10PooA&time_continue=716

Fox brings up an important point. Valpo has an immediate bye week after EKU giving them additional time (over fwo weeks) to lick wounds but also more time to learn from the experience and fine tune going into game #2 vs. CCSU.

usc4valpo

At the end of course, the most important result is that Jimmy graduates with a degree and moves on.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 26, 2019, 10:16:25 PM
Quote from: JD24 on August 26, 2019, 09:33:37 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on August 26, 2019, 09:13:09 PMBut side side note Duncan has been given the nod for EKU, also Jimmy not 100% and has confirmed it's his last year of football. Sad sad news
Tough for Jimmy particularly if he's not fully recovered after what amounts to 2 years of arm issues. Great opportunity for Duncan.
To be honest, I always thought this was gonna be Jimmy's last year.
It's not the "last year" aspect of the comments on Seewald that I find tough. It's that he's apparently still not healthy.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 27, 2019, 07:23:50 AMEKU Preview video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORlIu10PooA&time_continue=716 Fox brings up an important point. Valpo has an immediate bye week after EKU giving them additional time (over fwo weeks) to lick wounds but also more time to learn from the experience and fine tune going into game #2 vs. CCSU.
I always wonder how much these complete mismatches help anyone in nearly any aspect of a game and this isn't simply a Valpo issue. I've seen teams which could pile up 200 yards on the ground against their level of competition put up 20-30 yards against a higher division team. Passing games get completely shut down because the Olmen are overmatched making the QB ineffective and the WRs non-factors. The way Coach Fox was describing the EKU game it was as if this game was interrupting fall camp.

I guess there are some tangential qualities which get raised on film in terms of technique or maybe a WR runs the wrong route or blocks the wrong guy or something equally egregious on defense but I have my doubts about what can get corrected before the next game no matter how long the team has.

valpofb16

From what i have heard on Jimmy situation is not great. He tore his labrum early in 2017 season. Played through season with torn labrum in shoulder, then had offseason surgery #1 missing spring. He then came back to fall camp but was not the same which was known throughout program. He was thrown into 4 games making throws on the shoulder and obviously practicing if he is playing. Had offseason surgery #2 shortly after 2018 season. Missed spring again. Is coming back this fall.

Am i the only one that sees an injury completely mismanaged?

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 27, 2019, 10:48:05 AMFrom what i have heard on Jimmy situation is not great. He tore his labrum early in 2017 season. Played through season with torn labrum in shoulder, then had offseason surgery #1 missing spring. He then came back to fall camp but was not the same which was known throughout program. He was thrown into 4 games making throws on the shoulder and obviously practicing if he is playing. Had offseason surgery #2 shortly after 2018 season. Missed spring again. Is coming back this fall. Am i the only one that sees an injury completely mismanaged?

My comments throughout the portion of the season that Seewald was playing last year would support your contention. This includes watching video in disbelief as the coach at the time would be saying that he's getting better when that would belie what was being seen in games.

The fact that his motion changed should have been enough to have the coaching staff shut things down with him in terms of playing in games. It may have also helped Duncan's development because I didn't think the shuffling of QBs in and out helped Seewald's shoulder or Duncan's confidence.

With all that said, I realize there typically is more to the story than is either being made public or appears on video.

That staff had three QBs with arm issues which I found unusual as this is not a pitching staff for a baseball team. One arm issue is unusual in football. Dalton Stokes and Connor Smith also had significant arm issues although I think Smith may have come to the team injured. Stokes situation was very similar to Seewald's including the deterioration of his throwing motion. Based on history I would be very hesitant to send my QB kid to work under that staff. Dave may get credit for Ryan Fitzpatrick but the injuries and treatment are red flags to me.

usc4valpo

Seewald should just focus on getting his education and move on. It is not worth going through the pain.

NWIGuy

1) Truth is that a labrum tear is very very difficult to come back from. For QBs, baseball players, VB players... this is the worst injury in terms of coming back with the same arm motion and effectiveness. Hard to create a list players who have actually pulled it off;

2) IMHO the issue lies with the Cech-era strength coach. Soft tissue, non-contact injuries can almost always be traced back to what's happening in the weight room. Seems like there shoulder issues with position players too. Parker Fox comes to mind. Was there an over abundance of pressing vs pulling? Was regular shoulder "pre-hab" work done by the QBs? Was overall training volume managed effectively? Was the program designed specifically for sports performance or was there a bodybuilding emphasis?

Seewald seems like a great kid and a loyal Crusader. Very sad things have turned out this way...

JD24

Quote from: NWIGuy on August 28, 2019, 01:16:29 PM1) Truth is that a labrum tear is very very difficult to come back from. For QBs, baseball players, VB players... this is the worst injury in terms of coming back with the same arm motion and effectiveness. Hard to create a list players who have actually pulled it off; 2) IMHO the issue lies with the Cech-era strength coach. Soft tissue, non-contact injuries can almost always be traced back to what's happening in the weight room. Seems like there shoulder issues with position players too. Parker Fox comes to mind. Was there an over abundance of pressing vs pulling? Was regular shoulder "pre-hab" work done by the QBs? Was overall training volume managed effectively? Was the program designed specifically for sports performance or was there a bodybuilding emphasis? Seewald seems like a great kid and a loyal Crusader. Very sad things have turned out this way...
From what I've seen and heard of labrum tears for those who's primary function is throwing an object is that there is a fair amount of "re-learning" the throwing motion in terms of muscle memory.

FGColonel

Hello Valpo !  I  hope  anyone  that is  coming to Richmond has a safe  trip.  Supposed to be a beautiful  evening,  with  temps  around  70  at  game time. i will  be  glad to answer any question you may have  about  our  team,  EKU, the city  or  Richmond  or  surrounding  area.  Good  luck  tomorrow.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

Welcome back. I have a question:  based on previous game scenarios, when will the EKU staff most likely call off the dogs?  ;)

Seriously, a high level, fan-based assessment of EKU's strengths and challenges would be nice.

FGColonel

I can not  speak  for the  staff,  but my opinion is that IF there is point they feel like the game is in hand,  they will start pulling   starters. We play Louisville  next  week and  need  everyone  healthy. i will  say that if  that  time  does   come,  i believe they  will NOT merely run  the ball  up  he  middle every time. I think they will go as  deep  into  the roster as they can  but  still  let  them  run the offence.  This  early  in the  season  they will  probably  want to see  how the younger  guys execute against  someone  other  than  their  own team. On a side note,  I will say we feel  this is the deepest and most  talented team  we have  had  in the last  12 years. Coach Elders third  strait  top 15 recruiting  class.  They have  filled spots  of immediate  need with  solid  FBS and  JUCO  transfers. We had  to play a lot of  true Freshmen Coach  Elders  first  two years and  we  now have a lot of  seasoned  upper classmen. Strengths  should  come  from  the O side of  the ball.  Very  strong  at QB   Coner Blount  will  get the start.  He  started 6 games  for Oregon St  last  year . The  guy behind  him is a RS  Freshman  that  had  to be pressed  into action  the last  four  games  last  year as  a true  freshman,  He  won  all  four  games. The  number  three  guy was  the starter most  of  the  games  last  year  until  the  injury.  The  number  4  guys is  a rs  Junior that is a parade  all  american  but has  started  games    every  year,  has  had  some  injuries   but is  healthy  now. We are 4 or  5 deep  at  RB.  with  McCluskey being  a  small  but  tough runner.  averaged 4.7 ypc  lst  year,  Other  number  1 or  number  2 is  Jason  Lewis   a  huge 6-3 240 pound   transfer  from  Arizona  State and the  #3  is  another  big  6-1 250 bruiser  out  of  Columbus  Ohio.  He  was  runner  up  for  Mr.  football  his   senior year  in HS.  He  played  in 7 games  a a true  Freshman before he  got  injured,  He  played  in  the first four  games  last  year  averaging  4.5 ypc then decided to  redshirt,  He is  back  this  year  as  a RS  Sophomore,  . The guy  behind  him is fbs  transfer  from  Marshall. the O  line will  average around  6-2 or  so and a  shade over 300 pounds couple  guys  in the  6-4 and  6-5 range.  Oline  coach ( former EKU  and  Purdue  head   coach  Danny  Hope)  says he  has  9 guys  that  have  started  in  D1 games  and  that  any of  the  nine  could  be  starters.  WR  is  just  as  strong.  Our  leading WR  from  last  year  is #3  on  the  opening  game  depth  chart. TEs  are  huge  and d experienced.  D  line  has  had   some  injuries along  the  front but  still  anchored  by pre season  All  American  Aaron  Patrick.  Linebackers  were all  on the depth  chart  last  year.  Corners  are  All  OVC picks. If  there  is a  weak spot other  than the  young D line it may  be  at Safety. We are not  very deep  there and have  had  some  injuries  that will  probably  keep  a  couple  guys  out Thursday  night. Well,  there is it is,  my best  assessment  of  this  years  Colonels.  I will  say, colonel fans  are VERY  optimistic this  year. :)
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

VULB#62

JD24

Quote from: FGColonel on August 28, 2019, 08:04:16 PMI can not  speak  for the  staff,  but my opinion is that IF there is point they feel like the game is in hand,  they will start pulling   starters. We play Louisville  next  week and  need  everyone  healthy. i will  say that if  that  time  does   come,  i believe they  will NOT merely run  the ball  up  he  middle every time. I think they will go as  deep  into  the roster as they can  but  still  let  them  run the offence.  This  early  in the  season  they will  probably  want to see  how the younger  guys execute against  someone  other  than  their  own team. On a side note,  I will say we feel  this is the deepest and most  talented team  we have  had  in the last  12 years. Coach Elders third  strait  top 15 recruiting  class.  They have  filled spots  of immediate  need with  solid  FBS and  JUCO  transfers. We had  to play a lot of  true Freshmen Coach  Elders  first  two years and  we  now have a lot of  seasoned  upper classmen. Strengths  should  come  from  the O side of  the ball.  Very  strong  at QB   Coner Blount  will  get the start.  He  started 6 games  for Oregon St  last  year . The  guy behind  him is a RS  Freshman  that  had  to be pressed  into action  the last  four  games  last  year as  a true  freshman,  He  won  all  four  games. The  number  three  guy was  the starter most  of  the  games  last  year  until  the  injury.  The  number  4  guys is  a rs  Junior that is a parade  all  american  but has  started  games    every  year,  has  had  some  injuries   but is  healthy  now. We are 4 or  5 deep  at  RB.  with  McCluskey being  a  small  but  tough runner.  averaged 4.7 ypc  lst  year,  Other  number  1 or  number  2 is  Jason  Lewis   a  huge 6-3 240 pound   transfer  from  Arizona  State and the  #3  is  another  big  6-1 250 bruiser  out  of  Columbus  Ohio.  He  was  runner  up  for  Mr.  football  his   senior year  in HS.  He  played  in 7 games  a a true  Freshman before he  got  injured,  He  played  in  the first four  games  last  year  averaging  4.5 ypc then decided to  redshirt,  He is  back  this  year  as  a RS  Sophomore,  . The guy  behind  him is fbs  transfer  from  Marshall. the O  line will  average around  6-2 or  so and a  shade over 300 pounds couple  guys  in the  6-4 and  6-5 range.  Oline  coach ( former EKU  and  Purdue  head   coach  Danny  Hope)  says he  has  9 guys  that  have  started  in  D1 games  and  that  any of  the  nine  could  be  starters.  WR  is  just  as  strong.  Our  leading WR  from  last  year  is #3  on  the  opening  game  depth  chart. TEs  are  huge  and d experienced.  D  line  has  had   some  injuries along  the  front but  still  anchored  by pre season  All  American  Aaron  Patrick.  Linebackers  were all  on the depth  chart  last  year.  Corners  are  All  OVC picks. If  there  is a  weak spot other  than the  young D line it may  be  at Safety. We are not  very deep  there and have  had  some  injuries  that will  probably  keep  a  couple  guys  out Thursday  night. Well,  there is it is,  my best  assessment  of  this  years  Colonels.  I will  say, colonel fans  are VERY  optimistic this  year. :)
Excuse me while I step outside for a good cry.  :'( :'(

VULB#62

Aha!  We have EKU exactly where we want them.  They will never know what hit them Thursday night. They will be overconfident and we will overwhelm those safeties over the top time and again. NOT!

vu72

Quote from: FGColonel on August 28, 2019, 08:04:16 PM
I can not  speak  for the  staff,  but my opinion is that IF there is point they feel like the game is in hand,  they will start pulling   starters. We play Louisville  next  week and  need  everyone  healthy. i will  say that if  that  time  does   come,  i believe they  will NOT merely run  the ball  up  he  middle every time. I think they will go as  deep  into  the roster as they can  but  still  let  them  run the offence.  This  early  in the  season  they will  probably  want to see  how the younger  guys execute against  someone  other  than  their  own team. On a side note,  I will say we feel  this is the deepest and most  talented team  we have  had  in the last  12 years. Coach Elders third  strait  top 15 recruiting  class.  They have  filled spots  of immediate  need with  solid  FBS and  JUCO  transfers. We had  to play a lot of  true Freshmen Coach  Elders  first  two years and  we  now have a lot of  seasoned  upper classmen. Strengths  should  come  from  the O side of  the ball.  Very  strong  at QB   Coner Blount  will  get the start.  He  started 6 games  for Oregon St  last  year . The  guy behind  him is a RS  Freshman  that  had  to be pressed  into action  the last  four  games  last  year as  a true  freshman,  He  won  all  four  games. The  number  three  guy was  the starter most  of  the  games  last  year  until  the  injury.  The  number  4  guys is  a rs  Junior that is a parade  all  american  but has  started  games    every  year,  has  had  some  injuries   but is  healthy  now. We are 4 or  5 deep  at  RB.  with  McCluskey being  a  small  but  tough runner.  averaged 4.7 ypc  lst  year,  Other  number  1 or  number  2 is  Jason  Lewis   a  huge 6-3 240 pound   transfer  from  Arizona  State and the  #3  is  another  big  6-1 250 bruiser  out  of  Columbus  Ohio.  He  was  runner  up  for  Mr.  football  his   senior year  in HS.  He  played  in 7 games  a a true  Freshman before he  got  injured,  He  played  in  the first four  games  last  year  averaging  4.5 ypc then decided to  redshirt,  He is  back  this  year  as  a RS  Sophomore,  . The guy  behind  him is fbs  transfer  from  Marshall. the O  line will  average around  6-2 or  so and a  shade over 300 pounds couple  guys  in the  6-4 and  6-5 range.  Oline  coach ( former EKU  and  Purdue  head   coach  Danny  Hope)  says he  has  9 guys  that  have  started  in  D1 games  and  that  any of  the  nine  could  be  starters.  WR  is  just  as  strong.  Our  leading WR  from  last  year  is #3  on  the  opening  game  depth  chart. TEs  are  huge  and d experienced.  D  line  has  had   some  injuries along  the  front but  still  anchored  by pre season  All  American  Aaron  Patrick.  Linebackers  were all  on the depth  chart  last  year.  Corners  are  All  OVC picks. If  there  is a  weak spot other  than the  young D line it may  be  at Safety. We are not  very deep  there and have  had  some  injuries  that will  probably  keep  a  couple  guys  out Thursday  night. Well,  there is it is,  my best  assessment  of  this  years  Colonels.  I will  say, colonel fans  are VERY  optimistic this  year. :)

Holy crap!  With all that talent and experience, if you aren't playing in Frisco something is really wrong.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpofb16

FR traveling

WR: Berkemeier, Holmes
TE: Conlin
DL: Bibler
LB: Chilton, Annis
DB: Allen

Jimmy will be in attendance but he will not play a snap

FGColonel

We think a breakout year for  EKU.   The one think  that is  concerning  is  injuries,  Like  all FCS  schools you can  have scattered  injuries  that you can  overcome,  but  if  they start racking  up  at the same position you can get in trouble and be derailed  very  quickly.  Like  last  year , We  started the  season with 4 quality  QBs.  We lost Numbers  one and two  on two consecutive  plays.  both  out  for the balance  of  season.  The  next  game  number  Three  went  down.  Number  four went  early in practice the following  during a  non contract  drill.  With  four games  left we  pulled  our  true  Freshman that  had  been  running  the  scout team  and  started  him the last  four  games. Turns out  he was  everything and  more than  we  expected when  he was  recruited. He won  all  four  games  and  competed  for  the  starting  spot  this year. He is now  our  number two  as  a Freshman. Just  thankful  for the new  rule instituted last  year  that allows  a player  to  participate  in four  games  without  giving  up his red-shirt.  We were lucky McKinney was  up to the task. Any other season it would have devastated us.
EKU A Matter of Pride
21 time OVC Champs

bbtds

We may have 3 injuries by the third play. That is our injury history. :-)

Actually, it's really sad. Football is a tough sport but other athletic depts seem to work through their injuries. Valpo, not so we'll.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on August 29, 2019, 09:54:40 AM
FR traveling

WR: Berkemeier, Holmes
TE: Conlin
DL: Bibler
LB: Chilton, Annis
DB: Allen

Jimmy will be in attendance but he will not play a snap
Yikes we are only taking 9 on the OL.

covufan

EKU - 38