• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

GAME #1: VUFB @ EKU 8/29. 6:00pm

Started by VULB#62, August 25, 2019, 03:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Bbtds - I totally agree about kickers, and they need to carry out the job they are supposed todo or you are very expendable. former Bear kicker Cody Parkey is an example of that - sorry, I felt no pity for him after missing a potential game winning field goal in a playoff game when your salary is $2.5 million annually.

Valpo's kicking game - all the components that interact to build a functional deliverable - require thorough analysis.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on August 31, 2019, 08:48:18 AMValpo's kicking game - all the components that interact to build a functional deliverable - require thorough analysis.
Which should begin by watching the games.

dcannon12

Hey JD24

Who would you have as your Go to guy! No one was open available or even close to helping Duncan! I was at the game! Let me you know pick for that! One turn over while Duncan was playing. Remember that.

valpotx

Steinbrecher Jr. was a Kicker at Valpo?  From what I remember during my time on campus, Andrew McCawley was a pretty good K.
"Don't mess with Texas"

JD24

Quote from: dcannon12 on August 31, 2019, 11:40:17 AMHey JD24 Who would you have as your Go to guy! No one was open available or even close to helping Duncan! I was at the game! Let me you know pick for that! One turn over while Duncan was playing. Remember that.
I have no idea at this point...which was my point. That player must be found. In recent years it's been a number of players. I'm not sure that guy is out there right now. Your contention that the QB could just run around when stressed just isn't going to work.

Any thoughts that Duncan played anything but poorly is a non-starter. 

VULB#62

Latsonas was pretty much automatic inside the 30 last year. He had an experienced snapper and holder that he worked with for a couple of seasons. Kickers are only 50% ( my guess) of the PAT/FG equation. The other 50% is the snapper/holder component. Without an accurate snap and a sure hold and positioning of the ball, the best skilled kicker is not going to be very good.

JD24

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 31, 2019, 02:11:38 PMLatsonas was pretty much automatic inside the 30 last year. He had an experienced snapper and holder that he worked with for a couple of seasons. Kickers are only 50% ( my guess) of the PAT/FG equation. The other 50% is the snapper/holder component. Without an accurate snap and a sure hold and positioning of the ball, the best skilled kicker is not going be very good.
Throws the timing off as well.

VULB#62

Oh yeah. Big time. I did not see any of the muffed snaps or holds but THAT is what totally undoes a kicker. No rhythm.

BTW, I speak from experience. I was Valpo's LS when I played.

football1960

I just finished watching the game.  Duncan was under pressure almost the whole game. I hope the Duncan will get some help the next game. EK DL was about 50 pounds heavier and just pushed valpo guys right into the passing line where Duncan was about to throw and the cb and LBs more physical  Valpo receivers could not get separation.

dcannon12

I don't think he ran around when stressed he kept control of the ball
You think Jimmy Or Ben would of had open receivers or that the running game would of have been better if they handed off the ball ? 
Your not looking at the big picture.

JD24

Seewald has shown he can play under pressure. I've seen other Valpo QBs faced with similar pressure and played far better. Keep in mind, it's now just the bottom line that we're commenting on.

dcannon12

Well if Seewald can learn to throw correctly and not throw out his shoulder then give him a shot. We will see. One good year with tons of returning starters is not something to hold on too.

JD24

Quote from: dcannon12 on August 31, 2019, 04:05:46 PMWell if Seewald can learn to throw correctly and not throw out his shoulder then give him a shot.
Nice.

I don't think anyone was talking about giving Seewald a shot. My comment was in regards to what's happened in the past with other QBs who've handled similar situations better and...again...I'm not simply referring to the statistical bottom line.

usc4valpo

Perhaps a fresh look at QB may be in the works- how much do you risk in trying that?

valpofb16

I kinda blame the old staff for Duncan's regression his two biggest plays were in the Montana game, was serviceable against Duquesne, Butler, Jacksonville

But the sense around the entire program Is Duncan isnt great and we need Jimmy back. That has to be extremely deflating for the kid.

I appreciate all the upper classmen but I believe we probably start going with youth in certain spots shortly.

usc4valpo

I am hoping and assuming that Seewald just gets his degree and moves on in life.

That being said, I am guessing the other backups are not ready - hopefully this will change throughout the season.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 01, 2019, 06:39:54 AMI kinda blame the old staff for Duncan's regression his two biggest plays were in the Montana game, was serviceable against Duquesne, Butler, Jacksonville But the sense around the entire program Is Duncan isnt great and we need Jimmy back. That has to be extremely deflating for the kid. I appreciate all the upper classmen but I believe we probably start going with youth in certain spots shortly.
I don't know who was most involved with QBs but it's possible the Miran effect took over. Players looking good early but then either regressing or stagnating over time.
Quote from: valpofb16 on September 01, 2019, 06:39:54 AMI kinda blame the old staff for Duncan's regression his two biggest plays were in the Montana game, was serviceable against Duquesne, Butler, Jacksonville But the sense around the entire program Is Duncan isnt great and we need Jimmy back. That has to be extremely deflating for the kid. I appreciate all the upper classmen but I believe we probably start going with youth in certain spots shortly.
I've thought Duncan has a very good skillset for the position. I also realize there's a lot more to playing the position than a good physical skillset. Hopefully with opponents much closer to Valpo's level over the next few games, Duncan relaxes back there and plays to the level he's capable of. Same can be said of the rest of the offense which, I felt, looked a bit disorganized and certainly not confident vs. EKU.

As you say, without those changes, bring on the new guys. The other issue is these guys are universally not this staff's recruits.

usc4valpo

I see more participation and feedback, positive and negative, on the football threads than in the past, and that is likely good. It seems as if there is more interest in the football topic.

valpofb16

FWIW the following players made their FCS debut Thursday

#42 Evan Annis FR.
#46 Austin Martins JR.
#75 Brendan O'Doherty RSFR.
#88 Jacob Berkemeier FR.
#99 Carter Puckett RSSO.

dcannon12

It's in poor taste to to write and speak for the entire program on a blog about a player!  I doubt Duncan is deflated very poor taste to post that.  Yes you can talk  about his playing  things you have witnessed. Anything else is an armchair want to be player. If you have played you would know.   

valpofb16

DCannon12 you missed my point entirely. I like Fox saying Duncan is "our guy". I was more inferring to Cecchini saying if Jimmys healthy he's our guy while Duncan was out there playing games.

Started double digit games for this program and donate yearly.  L