• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2019-2020

Started by VUGrad1314, September 30, 2019, 07:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on December 26, 2019, 04:04:28 PM
Any news on Fazekas?

If he plays chances of getting injured again and being out for the year are about 50%. Ryan, I wish him well, but medical issues will plague him for the rest of his life much like David Chadwick.

VUGrad1314

Fazekas's case is so sad. He is so good when he's out there healthy but that is almost never the case. If he put together a healthy season I believe he would be a first team all conference player at this level.

VUGrad1314

This is purely speculation but it could be some form of harassment.

Just Sayin

From Sports Illustrated:

"The internal staff letter linked to the university's "sexual harassment and misconduct policy," which says it applies to all forms of sexual harassment, violence, intimate partner violence and stalking for students, staff, faculty and third parties."

valpopal

Evansville Fan Forum administrator shuts down Purple Aces Fans discussion board due to McCarty situation:

A Farewell

Postby pafan ยป Today 6:59 pm
Today's news regarding Walter McCarty will bring to an end to PurpleAcesFans.com.

To those who actively participated here, I thank you and apologize for cutting you off in the middle of the season. With the nature of the items listed in UE's press release, my belief that this issue will be ongoing for months and years, I believe it is in my best interest to ensure no rumor or innuendo is spread through me.

Furthermore, I can't describe my fury at this situation at the moment. But what I can say is that I will not continue to support UE in any way, including by continuing to host this site. This domain will be disconnected on Monday, in an effort to beat out a January 1 billing date, and all threads will be read-only until the deed is done.

I do wish to state clearly and unequivocally that I have no connection to UE, any of its trustees, or any of its employees, and this decision is wholly mine, and specifically that it is not related to the pressure which caused Mark Spencer and Walter to withdraw from social media.

Farewell

FWalum

Quote from: may know on December 28, 2019, 09:31:43 AM
https://twitter.com/ubetchabets/status/1210653530412986368
As a former UE parent, member of the Parents Board and friend of a UE Trustee this truely saddens me. There was such high hopes for the future of this program.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

E-Villan

Hey Guys,

Can someone update your link to the Evansville forum? Our new one is up and running.

purpleaceplace.com

Thanks!

bbtds

Quote from: crusader05 on December 28, 2019, 11:12:04 AM
https://twitter.com/davereynolds2/status/1210968179780001793?s=21

And now this for Bradley

Interesting, I remember Dave Reynolds used to report on the Peoria Chiefs minor league baseball team in the low class A Midwest League. I guess he gets Bradley MBB in the winter months. No telling if his stories about Brave practices are "$h!t stories" or not. Only Wardle would know for sure. 

valpopal

Missouri Valley is now 10 games into the season. The home team has won every game except for the two played by Valpo. Perhaps this can be seen as a positive because if Valpo had followed the home-team-wins pattern, they'd still be 1-1. However, the results display once again how important holding home court is in this conference and how valuable another road win at Southern Illinois on Tuesday would be!

SanityLost17

Loyola through 2 conference games.
22 fouls agains them, and 45 fouls agains their opponents.
56 free throws for them and 12 free throws for their opponents.

Won 2 close games. Go Loyola, so much talent you just can't stop them without fouling.

Just Sayin

To Qualify: 40% of minutes played and 2 shots per game:
Top 5 in-conference players in each category:
As of 1/7/20 Before any games today.

3pt % (40 players qualify)
1. Eron Gordon       46.9% Valpo
2. Nate Kennell       46.4% Bradley
3. Isaiah Brown      45.9% N. Iowa
4. Trae Berhow       44.8% N. Iowa
5. Tyreke Key         43.4% Indiana St.
8. Donovan Clay     42.5%
24. Nick Robinson   35.1%
26. Javon Freeman  34.8%
39. Mileek McMillan 26.5%
40. Daniel Sackey   25.8% 

2Pt % (60 players qualify)
1. DeAndre Willliams     77.3% Evansville
2. Lucas Williamson       68.3% Loyola
3. Marcus Domask         62.9% So. Illinois
4. Aher Ugauk               62.8% Loyola
5. Barret Benson           62.7% So. Illlinois
16. Mileek McMillan       55.9%
17. Donovan Clay          54.3%   
19. John Kiser               54.2%
26. Nick Robinson          51.0%
28. Javon Freeman        50.3%
30. Eron Gordon            50.0%
59. Daniel Sackey          35.9%

Nick Robinson's 3% average is about the same as Sackey's 2pt%. Clay's 3pt% is greater than Sackey's 2pt %.   

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 07, 2020, 11:10:02 AM
2Pt % (60 players qualify)
1. DeAndre Willliams     77.3% Evansville
2. Lucas Williamson       68.3% Loyola
3. Marcus Domask         62.9% So. Illinois
4. Aher Ugauk               62.8% Loyola
5. Barret Benson           62.7% So. Illlinois
16. Mileek McMillan       55.9%
17. Donovan Clay          54.3%   
19. John Kiser               54.2%
26. Nick Robinson          51.0%
28. Javon Freeman        50.3%
30. Eron Gordon            50.0%
59. Daniel Sackey          35.9%

Pretty good shooting percentage for a guy who a lot of posters on this board want to avoid the ball on offense.

I know it's very early in the conference season but I've decided to die on the "John Kiser Is Underrated" hill this season  ;D

vusupporter

There's like 400-ish nominees (I didn't do an exact count). Not exactly a huge deal.

VUGrad1314

Wow, the NET is super unkind to mids who lose games...

Indiana State tumbled from 84 to 97

Bradley dropped from 82 to 89

Also I think you guys will find this interesting:

Valpo 143

Vanderbilt 146

George Washington 194

But thanks for paying us to avoid these blights on our schedule guys! Cheers!

Just Sayin

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 19, 2020, 08:16:30 AMWow, the NET is super unkind to mids who lose games... Indiana State tumbled from 84 to 97 Bradley dropped from 82 to 89 Also I think you guys will find this interesting: Valpo 143 Vanderbilt 146 George Washington 194 But thanks for paying us to avoid these blights on our schedule guys! Cheers!

NET MVC:

UNI 37
Bradley 89
Indiana St. 97
Loyola 109
Drake 139
Missouri St.  140
Valpo 143
Illinois St. 208
So. Illinois 211
Evansville 247

VUGrad1314

I feel better about our loss to SIU. We aren't the only team that got run down in Carbondale...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401173534

And our close loss to Loyola...

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401173565

with that SIU-Drake result, things have tightened up in the Valley considerably with five teams now (VU, ISUb, Drake, SIU, MSU) tied for third in the conference at 3-3. Here are the standings:

UNI 5-1

Loyola 5-1

Bradley 4-2

5 teams 3-3 (Drake SIU MSU ISUb VU)

Illinois St 1-5

Evansville 0-6

Upcoming Schedule:

Wednesday:

Drake @ UE

Illinois St @ Bradley

Indiana St @ Loyola

UNI @ SIU

Thursday:

Valpo @ Missouri St. (This is definitely the biggest game of the early week games and will go a long way towards helping us avoid the PIG on Thursday in St Louis if we can win this game.) It's at 8:30ET\7:30CT on CBSSN

Saturday:

Bradley @ Indiana St.

SIU @ Illinois St.

Sunday:

Missouri St @ Drake

Loyola @ UNI (ESPNU)

UE @ Valpo

Tough stretch for Indiana St. facing Bradley and Loyola. Sunday has a couple of huge games: Missouri St @ Drake and Loyola @ UNI which are a battle to avoid the PIG and a battle for first place respectively. We'll see how UNI handles SIU in Carbondale which has been a really tough place for road teams as we know well. There are also some rivalry games such as Bradley and Illinois St that are always interesting. UE vs Valpo was a battle down in Evansville and I expect the same at the ARC. This should be a fun and interesting week that will tell us a lot about most MVC teams as the standings and the PIG picture begins to become a bit clearer.

VUGrad1314

bbtds

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 20, 2020, 10:16:33 PM
Some Valley talk on a St Louis radio station:

https://www.ktrs.com/the-big-sports-show/

Oh, wow, I know Brendan Wiese's mother.

His mother was on both this station and many years on KMOX (CBS) and went by the name of Wendy Wiese (one syllable) while Brendan goes with Wiese (2 syllables--an e sound at end). It also doesn't hurt to have your mother as the news director at KTRS (T=talk, R=radio, S=Saint Louis) as of October 2019.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/columns/joe-holleman/radio-vet-wendy-wiese-named-news-director-at-ktrs/article_48ac78e7-da35-5a7f-8adf-caa2137bc152.html

VUGrad1314

MVCFans Arch Madness seeding probability analytics have us finishing 6th right now and avoiding the PIG with a record around .500! I'll take that gladly! If you look at the charts, it looks like we're likely to finish somewhere between 4th and 8th this year. That sounds about right from what I've seen so far. I hope (and believe) that we will finish more toward the higher end of that projected range. Go Valpo!

http://mvcfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5466