• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2019-2020

Started by VUGrad1314, September 30, 2019, 07:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: justducky on December 13, 2019, 04:55:14 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 13, 2019, 01:22:27 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 11, 2019, 08:52:11 AM
Quote from: justducky on December 10, 2019, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: vu84v2 on December 10, 2019, 10:26:26 PMGreat win for UNI! Bill Walton has still probably not recognized that a 'Conference of Champions' team lost at home to an MVC team.
Truth be known I'd selfishly like to see the Panthers lay an egg at Grand Canyon.  ;)
Then you don't have the interests of the MVC and by extension Valpo at heart. This conference needs UNI to tear it up. They are clearly our best team. We want them in as high a seed as possible and possibly having a shot to make the MVC a multibid league again.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=401173623

Good. Stay strong UNI the MVC needs you!
I watched most of the game but threw in the towel early and went to bed.  :snore:     I have watched a lot of Valley basketball and there is no longer any doubt in my mind who the best team is. With Fazekas we are good enough to upset them but everything will need to click! Thankfully that will be true of every other Valley challenger so a top half Valley finish is not unimaginable.

So, you're hoping for a top half finish?  How about hoping for a championship? 

In all due respect, you, '1314, and maybe a couple of others sound more like sports analysts than die-hard Valpo fans. We have plenty of time to resign ourselves to failure. What's the hurry?

VUGrad1314

I'm a fan of Valpo but also of the MVC as a whole and have been for a long time. I've stated before that it was a dream of mine since I was in middle school that Valpo would one day be in the MVC. I want them to compete I want them to invest in building the program and correct the mistake of the post-98 apathy. Unfortunately even now while they are improving in this department it is not fast enough and we are losing momentum. If Valpo won't or can't invest in its basketball program then we need help from our conference mates through tournament credits to make some of the smaller projects happen while we wait on the bigger stuff. That is what I'm after. A little assistance boosting the athletic budget so that we can all have what we want and enjoy a consistently competitive team because it doesn't seem like we can get there in a timely manner by ourselves. If that makes me "sound like an analyst" so be it but I will not have my status as a fan\allegiance to my alma mater questioned. You can be critical and even pessimistic and still be a loyal fan as many have demonstrated in the past. When I have reason for optimism--either through concrete investment in the program or on-court success--I will be right there cheering proudly and happily like everyone else; but until then, I am in my own way looking out for the program's best interests which go far beyond any petty rivalry or individual game on the court. I will never root against Valpo in any contest but while I would be ecstatic for  the win and what it might mean for the growth of our program on the court, I would be a little bit disappointed if we severely damaged the resume of a legitimate at large candidate from the MVC. How could I not be with this long-term view in mind? Look, if VU cared more about athletics on the whole and had demonstrated a history throughout the years of investment and commitment I wouldn't have to take this view but we play the cards we're dealt. Call me whatever you want but do not call me someone who does not love or care about this university and its athletic programs or someone who does not want what is best for them and to see them do well.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 14, 2019, 03:46:38 AM
I'm a fan of Valpo but also of the MVC as a whole and have been for a long time. I've stated before that it was a dream of mine since I was in middle school that Valpo would one day be in the MVC. I want them to compete I want them to invest in building the program and correct the mistake of the post-98 apathy. Unfortunately even now while they are improving in this department it is not fast enough and we are losing momentum. If Valpo won't or can't invest in its basketball program then we need help from our conference mates through tournament credits to make some of the smaller projects happen while we wait on the bigger stuff. That is what I'm after. A little assistance boosting the athletic budget so that we can all have what we want and enjoy a consistently competitive team because it doesn't seem like we can get there in a timely manner by ourselves. If that makes me "sound like an analyst" so be it but I will not have my status as a fan\allegiance to my alma mater questioned. You can be critical and even pessimistic and still be a loyal fan as many have demonstrated in the past. When I have reason for optimism--either through concrete investment in the program or on-court success--I will be right there cheering proudly and happily like everyone else; but until then, I am in my own way looking out for the program's best interests which go far beyond any petty rivalry or individual game on the court. I will never root against Valpo in any contest but while I would be ecstatic for  the win and what it might mean for the growth of our program on the court, I would be a little bit disappointed if we severely damaged the resume of a legitimate at large candidate from the MVC. How could I not be with this long-term view in mind? Look, if VU cared more about athletics on the whole and had demonstrated a history throughout the years of investment and commitment I wouldn't have to take this view but we play the cards we're dealt. Call me whatever you want but do not call me someone who does not love or care about this university and its athletic programs or someone who does not want what is best for them and to see them do well.

I'm with you but...I don't agree that we haven't been a "consistently competitive team".  Since 98 we have played in a post-season tournament 13 times and in the NCAAs six times.  I doubt anyone in The Valley has that record.  So, we have been successful in the conference we played in.  We are now in  our third year in the Valley and WILL be competitive this year. 

It is just to early to declare that we won't be competitive because it takes some time to adjust to  a higher level of play.  Comfy seats in the ARC won't win basketball games.  Players win games.  We are clearly moving in the right direction and I suspect we will be hearing about ARC improvements shortly.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

Couple of Interesting games on the slate (looks like a 1-1 day)

Evansville heads to Green Bay, Aces are 2.5 favorites
Drake (8-2) going into #14 Dayton (7-1) ... Flyers are 16 point favorites.

Tomorrow: (2-3 would be expected and anything over than would be a nice pick up)
Norfolk State goes to Loyola
Illinois State at Northern Kentucky
Georgia Southern at Bradley
Missouri State at VCU
Southern Illinois at Missouri

Monday:
In addition to the game in Charlotte; Evansville continues their road trip to Jacksonville State in Alabama... THAT can't be an easy logistical road trip.... over 900 miles from the Resch Center.  Jax State is over a one-hour drive from either ATL or BHM airports... there is one non-stop from gbay to atl... 5:32am departure.  oh to be young again.

NotBryceDrew

VUGrad1314

If I bet (and I don't so don't take this as advice at all because it's not) I would gladly take Evansville +2. I think they're the better team and I think they're going to win that game.

valpo64

I believe that Green Bay is the betting favorite by 2.5

VUGrad1314

Exactly picking the better team (Evansville) AND getting points for it sounds pretty sweet if betting is your thing.

Just Sayin

QuoteExactly picking the better team (Evansville) AND getting points for it sounds pretty sweet if betting is your thing.

Looks like each team's offense is much better than each opposing team's defense.  Almost a wash.  Green Bay has home court advantage.  Edge to GB

Just Sayin

Looks like Evansville will win.
A lot of upsets today.  Day after Friday the 13th.

talksalot

Evansville 72 Green Bay 62
Dayton 78 Drake 47  (ouch)

VALPO LI

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 14, 2019, 03:46:38 AM

VUGrad1314 can you elaborate more on this comment please how you are looking out for the programs best interests which go far beyond any petty rivalry.  Are you not for Valpo having a rivalry?  Is having a rivalry not part of the basketball game experience for players and fans? Do you not miss the days Butler came to NW Indiana and the ARC was full of brown and gold fans filled to the rafters?
Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

I'm absolutely for having a rivalry, especially once we are good enough to actually make it a real rivalry. I would love to see one (or more) top 25 teams visit Valpo each year and get the stands packed and rowdy like the Butler days but as long as we're not actively contributing to the on-court success in basketball for the MVC and actually sharing in its multibid aspirations I want the best teams to step forward it's that simple. When it's us it's us but we are all served when the best teams in our conference are set up for success in March. This year that's UNI with Bradley probably being second they've looked really good recently.

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 16, 2019, 09:05:47 AMThis year that's UNI with Bradley probably being second

We split with both of these teams last year with our crappy team.  They may be improved but so are we!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

There's only one MVC At large contender and that's UNI (NET 28)  Indiana State (85) is the only other team inside the top 100 but everyone else is inside the top 200 except for SIU. Valpo checks in right now at 136 5th highest in the conference just a few spots behind Missouri State and Bradley and 15 spots ahead of Illinois State. Maybe we are on our way up...

wh

Quote from: vu72 on December 16, 2019, 10:55:13 AM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 16, 2019, 09:05:47 AMThis year that's UNI with Bradley probably being second

We split with both of these teams last year with our crappy team.  They may be improved but so are we!

I'm not a sports analyst and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I can't even pretend.  I'm just a biased Valpo fan, who happens to think that the Crusaders can and will compete for a conference championship this year.  I'm not about wait till next year, as if it's not not our turn, or something.  I'm not about a 3-year plan that could blow up tomorrow.  I'm about the present - right now.  I'm not about cautiously tempering my expectations or excitement or anticipation because of what we've been through the past 2 years (insert abused child cowering in the corner picture here).  And, you know who agrees with me, guaranteed? Matt Lottich, his entire coaching staff, and every player from Javon down to the last guy on the Crusader bench.  And, I'm not talking about pipe dreaming like Indiana State, I'm talking really truly believing they are good enough to win the MVC championship this year.  If that's where they're at, that's where I'm at.  It's time to man up and show some raw excitement about this team. Just my $.02. 

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 16, 2019, 02:18:48 PM
Quote from: vu72 on December 16, 2019, 10:55:13 AM

I'm not a sports analyst and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I can't even pretend.  I'm just a biased Valpo fan, who happens to think that the Crusaders can and will compete for a conference championship this year.  I'm not about wait till next year, as if it's not not our turn, or something.  I'm not about a 3-year plan that could blow up tomorrow.  I'm about the present - right now.  I'm not about cautiously tempering my expectations or excitement or anticipation because of what we've been through the past 2 years (insert abused child cowering in the corner picture here).  And, you know who agrees with me, guaranteed? Matt Lottich, his entire coaching staff, and every player from Javon down to the last guy on the Crusader bench.  And, I'm not talking about pipe dreaming like Indiana State, I'm talking really truly believing they are good enough to win the MVC championship this year.  If that's where they're at, that's where I'm at.  It's time to man up and show some raw excitement about this team. Just my $.02. 

I can get very excited about our team without believing we are the best or the deepest or the most experienced. Obviously we have some shortcomings --- BUT---- If Fazekas and Freeman can play the Valley season without major injury and illness, ---AND--- minor injuries for the rest of the team are minimal, and we catch our share of the game deciding breaks; ONLY THEN--- are we right in the thick of it! I state this with the hope and expectation that all of our top half Valley competitors get and stay fully healthy as well!  :thumbsup:

talksalot

MVC Other-Than-Valpo Upcoming games

Monday
Evansville at Jacksonville State (Aces Favored by 4 on the road)

Tuesday
Mount Marty (NAIA, 13-2 including 6-1 on the road, averaging 90+ points per game)  at Drake

Wednesday
Loyola At Vanderbilt (CBS SportsNet)
Tennessee State at Indiana State
UIC (Don't call us Illinois Chicago anymore) at Illinois State
Hampton at Southern Illinois

Saturday - some winnable "separation" games here...
Bradley at Miami Ohio
Illinois State at UT-San Antonio
Murray State at Evansville
Drake at Air Force
SE Missouri at Southern Illinois
Missouri State at Oral Roberts

may know

From MVC board. A Sycamore fan joined an obscure Jacksonville St board to high-five and celebrate the Gamecocks win over Evansville. Where do these crazies come from?  :rotfl:
http://gojaxstate.boards.net/thread/4963/evansville-game

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on December 16, 2019, 04:43:13 PMTuesday
Mount Marty (NAIA, 13-2 including 6-1 on the road, averaging 90+ points per game)  at Drake

There for a while I thought you were using a nickname for a well established NAIA program like Mount Martin. Sure enough there is an NAIA program in South Dakota by the name of Mount Marty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Marty_College

The Mount Marty "Lancers" are part of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), primarily competing in the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC). Men's sports include archery, baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, and track & field. Women's sports include archery, basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field, and volleyball.

VALPO LI

The Ramblers took care of business and beat the Commodores 78-70 in Phoenix
Shine on Vu

talksalot

and the valley swept last night 5-0... now if we can sweep on Saturday...

Bradley at Miami Ohio
Illinois State at UT-San Antonio
Murray State at Evansville
Drake at Air Force
SE Missouri at Southern Illinois
Missouri State at Oral Roberts

and the other game in North Little Rock.

I'm looking at a 5-2 day...

EddieCabot

[tweet]1208865542381154304[/tweet]

So, Valpo fans should be pulling for UNI to beat Valpo twice?  That seems odd, but I guess I'm just a stupid fan. 

wh

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 22, 2019, 04:29:07 PM

[tweet]1208865542381154304[/tweet]

So, Valpo fans should be pulling for UNI to beat Valpo twice?  That seems odd, but I guess I'm just a stupid fan. 

I fixed Paul's statement for him:

Everyone at Valley Conference Headquarters In St. Louis should be pulling for UNI to run the table before losing in conference title game on last second shot. Multiple bids.  Every Valley Conference fan should be rooting for their own program to win as many games as they can, and let the chips fall where they may. #MVCHoops

What is it with this "globalist, greater good" mindset?  From a Valpo perspective, nothing is more important than winning basketball games. Paul and '1314 need to stop thinking. Good grief.

NativeCheesehead

Gotta be the first use of "globalist" on a basketball board.

I for one do believe basketballs should be globes.