• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2019-2020

Started by VUGrad1314, September 30, 2019, 07:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Just Sayin

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 22, 2019, 06:10:44 PM
Gotta be the first use of "globalist" on a basketball board.

I for one do believe basketballs should be globes.

Cheesy.

Just Sayin

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 22, 2019, 04:29:07 PMSo, Valpo fans should be pulling for UNI to beat Valpo twice?  That seems odd, but I guess I'm just a stupid fan. 

I'll answer that with a yes.  ;)

Quote from: wh on December 22, 2019, 05:25:09 PMFrom a Valpo perspective, nothing is more important than winning basketball games. Paul and '1314 need to stop thinking. Good grief.

I'll answer that with another yes! Sometimes the more I think the stupider I get!  :crazy: Besides that I just posted on the MVC Fan Board a speculation that UNI might be able to receive an at large with a 14-4 record. Best of luck to them but I think that reaching 14-4 will take some doing! The target is on their backs and even Butler lost  5 HL games on their way to their second national championship battle.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 22, 2019, 04:29:07 PM
So, Valpo fans should be pulling for UNI to beat Valpo twice?  That seems odd, but I guess I'm just a stupid fan. 

I think it's beat Valpo twice and then lose to Valpo in the Arch Madness championship game. 

VUGrad1314

So having two credits guaranteed (same as winning a first round game) before either of them plays a game so there's a chance for an even greater multiplier effect is somehow bad for us when it's not us competing for the bid? Being part of a multibid league helps recruiting and raises institutional profiles across the conference. "A rising tide lifts all boats." So yes for the perception of the MVC as a whole we need UNI to be good enough to get an at large bid. Now if they win out and end up a 6 or 7 or 10 or 11 or whatever and get a great draw then that's fantastic as well but it is best for a conference--for ALL TEAMS IN THAT CONFERENCE--to send its best teams or to have its best teams be good enough not to have to depend on the conference tournament. Having a team get a 14 or a 15 seed and getting blown out in the first round does nothing for recruiting and that would likely be our fate this year if we got in as the sole representative. Or have we already forgotten how painful it was back in 15-16 that the league we were in was so bad that it offered us no help when we tripped in the conference tournament and we missed out on what honestly would likely have been AT LEAST another Sweet 16 run? That's the point of being in the MVC. Making sure that doesn't happen again. That happening to UNI this year would be an absolute travesty and would hurt Valpo and the entire conference because we lose out on money we sorely need and could have gotten. In a way the MVC sending its best team is the best way to solve our budget issues until donors finally step up.

valpo64

Did anyone notice that North Dakota beat Nebraska at Lincoln over the weekend?

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on December 22, 2019, 11:53:02 PM
So having two credits guaranteed (same as winning a first round game) before either of them plays a game so there's a chance for an even greater multiplier effect is somehow bad for us when it's not us competing for the bid? Being part of a multibid league helps recruiting and raises institutional profiles across the conference. "A rising tide lifts all boats." So yes for the perception of the MVC as a whole we need UNI to be good enough to get an at large bid. Now if they win out and end up a 6 or 7 or 10 or 11 or whatever and get a great draw then that's fantastic as well but it is best for a conference--for ALL TEAMS IN THAT CONFERENCE--to send its best teams or to have its best teams be good enough not to have to depend on the conference tournament. Having a team get a 14 or a 15 seed and getting blown out in the first round does nothing for recruiting and that would likely be our fate this year if we got in as the sole representative. Or have we already forgotten how painful it was back in 15-16 that the league we were in was so bad that it offered us no help when we tripped in the conference tournament and we missed out on what honestly would likely have been AT LEAST another Sweet 16 run? That's the point of being in the MVC. Making sure that doesn't happen again. That happening to UNI this year would be an absolute travesty and would hurt Valpo and the entire conference because we lose out on money we sorely need and could have gotten. In a way the MVC sending its best team is the best way to solve our budget issues until donors finally step up.

I swear I think we need to send you and Paul Oren to a Chinese internment camp to get your minds right. To say that WE - VALPO - THE CRUSADERS - THE TEAM YOU'RE SUPPOSEDLY A FAN OF - would be better off not playing in the NCAA tournament in favor of another team with a better record is absolutely crazy talk.  The team that represents the conference is the DIRECT beneficiary of that honor and everything that goes with it.  The other 9 teams are INDIRECT beneficiaries of the DIRECT beneficiary.  INDIRECT beneficiaries never gain more than DIRECT beneficiaries. Period. It NEVER pays more to lose than to win.  Offer up any seeding scenario you want, and you will always be wrong. Don't you believe that Matt Lottich and Mark LaBarbara would fully agree with me, or maybe you think deep inside they're secretly rooting for Northern Iowa to run the table if they can get a better seed for the conference?  Or, maybe they're so "Valpo focused" they can't see the forest for the trees, like Oren and you can?   

IrishDawg

How much has Valpo benefitted in facilities and recruiting from Loyola's F4 run?  How much did they benefit from Butler's 2?  The only schools that really benefit from those runs are the schools that make them. Gonzaga clearly hasn't raised all boats in the WCC.

From a league perspective, there's no doubt UNI getting an at large bid is better for business, but short of the league rep(s) making extended runs every single year, there won't be enough to fund capital spending on the ARC in any significant way. If the league divides Loyola's credits equally between schools and league office, that's $128k extra in Valpo's budget per year.  That's a couple of buy games.

Valpo would benefit from winning the conference tourney and dashing whoever the dominant team's hopes much more than telling kids "we play in a league with other teams that make runs". Play them the tournament highlights and show the Crusaders raising the trophy. That's what will get kids and donors excited.

vu84v2

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 22, 2019, 06:10:44 PM
Gotta be the first use of "globalist" on a basketball board.

I for one do believe basketballs should be globes.

World B. Free!

crusadermoe

Best post of the day right there......maybe the month.     

What was his real name?.....Lloyd?       

Then more recnetlly some guy on the Lakers changed his name to a similar save the world name.  That was brutal.

vu72

I've told this story before but, given this quote I'll tell it again.  This goes back to when Tom Smith was our coach and Cleveland State was playing great and had made a run in the Tourney, think early 80's.  Valpo is very new to D1 and struggling to get off the ground.  Robert Schnabel is Valpo's President, and Dr. Schnabel apparently didn't know much about basketball.  So I ran into Tom and we had a chat about the state of affairs at Valpo concerning basketball.  He relayed a conversation he had had with Dr. Schnabel concerning Cleveland State's success and how that brought money into Valpo's pocket as well as the rest of the conference.  Dr. Schnabel's response:  "Well, let's hope Cleveland State does well again this year".   True story.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on December 23, 2019, 01:00:00 PM

I've told this story before but, given this quote I'll tell it again.  This goes back to when Tom Smith was our coach and Cleveland State was playing great and had made a run in the Tourney, think early 80's.  Valpo is very new to D1 and struggling to get off the ground.  Robert Schnabel is Valpo's President, and Dr. Schnabel apparently didn't know much about basketball.  So I ran into Tom and we had a chat about the state of affairs at Valpo concerning basketball.  He relayed a conversation he had had with Dr. Schnabel concerning Cleveland State's success and how that brought money into Valpo's pocket as well as the rest of the conference.  Dr. Schnabel's response:  "Well, let's hope Cleveland State does well again this year".   True story.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Complete apathy and disregard (dare I say contempt?) for building a valuable winning program. Do you honestly think the attitude among Valpo's decision makers has changed much since then? I sure don't. If it had we wouldn't be talking about the same fixes and needs for 25-30 years and we would actually have a real plan to address those needs. If this is the attitude of Valpo's administration then I am taking the approach that at least gives us some hope of seeing things addressed properly. ll I am doing is going in the direction I feel I am being led and trying to think about the best interests of the program in that light. Of course it would be bet if we could go on that sort of run again but unless and until it happens we should be happy to send a team that can go on that sort of run and help us out indirectly. Meanwhile if we really cared we should be working to secure donors and whatever else is needed to make this team consistently into the type of program that can make these runs for itself. But until we are ready to commit to that path we should accept and be grateful for outside help because it's the only way anything positive is getting done that I can see.

NativeCheesehead

I'll have to digest this non con over XMas. But honestly, this team feels like they could finish anywhere from 2nd to 9th. I don't know what to expect. It's both exciting and concerning at the same time.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 23, 2019, 08:15:09 PM
I'll have to digest this non con over XMas. But honestly, this team feels like they could finish anywhere from 2nd to 9th. I don't know what to expect. It's both exciting and concerning at the same time.

My guess at beginning of year was 7th and still is 7th. It's what to do with Matt Lottich when that happens is the key question at that point.

justducky

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 23, 2019, 08:15:09 PM

I can find very few team issues which would push me toward pessimism.  :thumbsup: We have weathered the mass defections better than expected! Our bar for gauging Valley success is ridiculously low. Morgan and Gordon are suddenly playing towards the levels that Matt anticipated. We have our best freshman class since
Alec and Company and we played some surprisingly good basketball during our OOC schedule. Lastly but most importantly, we are nearing the return for Fazekas.  :o

As long as we get and stay reasonably healthy, nothing in the above suggests lower than a 10-8 Valley finish and Freeman-Liberty is a wild card who could carry us near the top.

I expect a lot of Valley fans to be eating a lot of poorly chosen words about our prospects.  :) Enjoy it!

wh

I was just looking at some Loyola stats, and came away thoroughly unimpressed. For instance, Loyola's 5 losses come against teams with a combined winning percentage just north of .550. Valpo's 6 losses were all against teams with winning records and a combined 50-20 (.714). The teams Valpo beat have a better winning percentage, as well. And, of course, Valpo's record comes with key players missing; Loyola's doesn't. This is pretty much a must win at home for Valpo, as I don't see Loyola as much more than a middlin MVC team this year.

crusadermoe

Loyola beat an SEC team earlier this year.  Krautwig is the real deal with his versatiliity and clutch play. 

However, I think our upside is just as high as theirs and UNI.  JFL's personal upside seems highest in the MVC.   We just need to prove we can get to Loyola's level when it counts and stay there.

I don't see any self-inflicted stupidity yet this year.  That's a plus.   

justducky

Quote from: wh on December 26, 2019, 03:07:01 PM
I was just looking at some Loyola stats, and came away thoroughly unimpressed. For instance, Loyola's 5 losses come against teams with a combined winning percentage just north of .550. Valpo's 6 losses were all against teams with winning records and a combined 50-20 (.714). The teams Valpo beat have a better winning percentage, as well. And, of course, Valpo's record comes with key players missing; Loyola's doesn't. This is pretty much a must win at home for Valpo, as I don't see Loyola as much more than a middlin MVC team this year.

Forget their record. They are just now getting fully healthy after more injuries than we have had.

I watched their Davidson loss this morning (replay) and they scare me to death. Williamson did go down and not return but it looked like the injury might be relatively minor. If Robinson is 100% I think we can compete and if Fazekas is also in uniform maybe we even have a slight momentum edge! I am really looking forward to this one regardless of who is or isn't suited up.

Why don't you start the game thread because I am lacking the confidence to do so!

valpo64

covufan

Quote from: valpo64 on December 26, 2019, 04:04:28 PM
Any news on Fazekas?
Progressing nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NativeCheesehead

Barring foul trouble, Krutwig should go for 30/15 against us. But if the rest of the team is held in check we got a shot. Be curious to see how many Loyola brings down for the game.

VUGrad1314

Yeah Don't feel good about this one. Krutwig will feast inside with all of the high percentage looks he can handle. Which takes a ton of pressure off their shooters. If their shooters have even a decent night I don't see us getting the win. We have no answer to Krutwig so the best thing we can do is try to keep their shooters from going off.

EddieCabot

Latest NCAA NET rankings have Valpo at 139 and Loyola at 147.  Add in home court advantage, and I too expect a Valpo win. 

I sense Loyola is like the last several mid-majors to make a Final Four run ... unable to capitalize on lucky meteoric run and quickly return to earth.

justducky

Quote from: EddieCabot on December 26, 2019, 06:08:51 PM

Latest NCAA NET rankings have Valpo at 139 and Loyola at 147.  Add in home court advantage, and I too expect a Valpo win. 

I sense Loyola is like the last several mid-majors to make a Final Four run ... unable to capitalize on lucky meteoric run and quickly return to earth.

OK Eddie, so why don't you do us a favor and open our Loyola game thread? All of us are snake bit and cowardly! Nobody is going to criticize you if we lose.  WE PROMISE!  ;)