• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops 2019-2020

Started by VUGrad1314, September 30, 2019, 07:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

22-12 Drake early.

Panthers better wake up or it's UNIT.

VUGrad1314

43-33 Bulldogs at half. Wow. What is happening? Absolute worst time to have a terrible half. You have to think the selection committee is watching right now so this will not help their case even if they are able to survive and advance. For their sake and for the sake of the MVC's multibid hopes I hope they'll come out okay but man that was brutal at the worst possible time...

VUGrad1314

That's better! Come on UNI!

VUGrad1314

Green is playing selfish basketball and needs to shoot less. He has a great supporting cast and needs to trust his teammates.

hailcrusaders

This is what watching the '15-16 and '16-17 Horizon League Tournaments from a neutral perspective was like
#CrusadersForever

VUGrad1314

This is gross. I'm gutted right now I really wanted the MVC to be a multibid league or to at least send a team that could win in the tournament again...

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 06, 2020, 01:48:02 PMThis is gross. I'm gutted right now I really wanted the MVC to be a multibid league or to at least send a team that could win in the tournament again...

That said the UNI fanbase deserves every minute of this. I call them Wichita-lite. All the hubris none of the resume to back it up. Everyone they lost to was "a bad team." Maybe UNI just wasn't all that great. I think this game proves it. Away from home UNI is very average.

Also, if this were a Valpo game and Lottich were coaching we would be giving him so much grief for the team's inability to score. Interesting how our perspective changes when emotion isn't involved.

oklahomamick

Has UNI done enough to get a bid? 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2020, 02:01:18 PMHas UNI done enough to get a bid?

With this Q3 butt kicking? Their THIRD Q3 loss? Absolutely not.

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 06, 2020, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2020, 02:01:18 PMHas UNI done enough to get a bid?

With this Q3 butt kicking? Their THIRD Q3 loss? Absolutely not.

NIT----2 seed? Depends on many unknowns.  The only big surprise here was the margin.

IndyValpo

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 06, 2020, 02:01:18 PM
Has UNI done enough to get a bid? 
Even if they had, this is the perfect scenario for the Committee to take a pass.

VUGrad1314

Gotta win on the road UNI has 4 conference road losses and 2 neutral floor losses one of them being a total blowout. That's not good when your best wins are Colorado and South Carolina. If they had beaten West Virginia (and possibly Wichita State who they would have played) there would at least still be some sort of conversation but right now as the resume stands absolutely not enough and nowhere close. The bubble is popped and the race for the bid is wide open. So let's do it! Might as well be us.

4throwfan

I like the underdog win as much as anyone, but this drubbing of UNI was not good for the league.  No way they get at-large consideration.  Had they made it to Sunday, then could still be in the discussion.  Now, MVC is definitely a one-bid league, which hurts from a marketing standpoint and a financial standpoint.

As has been discussed before, the parity in the conference this year and last year make for exciting games, but doesn't do much for the league on Selection Sunday.

I like that any team can beat any other team at any time.  However, I'd also like to see a couple of teams in the tournament.  If the parity each year continues, then all of the teams are simply going to need better performances in the non-con.

As it stands now, in order to get recognition and money, we need our lone representative to win at least two games.  No easy task.

oklahomamick

Who do we want to win between Missouri St. and Indiana St?  Who do we match up with better?  Javon better be taking an ice bath.  He looked gassed. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Hard to tell. We split with both so it may not matter. ISUb has an amazing offense Missouri State has scary talent. We were so bad in that ISUb game and we were so good in the last MSU game. It's hard to use either as a barometer. Right now it looks like it'll be MSU anyway but who knows? I mean we erased an 18 point second half deficit after all.

hailcrusaders

Missouri State up big in the second half....but then again so was Loyola
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

Saw this on Loyola forum.

The Flames beat Youngstown State at Gentile tonight before approx. 800 fans.
Their stadium was booked for a college robotics competition. I wonder what the attendance there was?
Sounds like a major oversight by the Athletic Department in failing to reserve the date.(Or else they're thinking of dropping men's basketball for robotics...)
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: hailcrusaders on March 06, 2020, 10:19:13 PMMissouri State up big in the second half....but then again so was Loyola

And here come the Sycamores. What was 18 is now 11 with 13 minutes to go.

hailcrusaders

Missouri State it is then. They played very well this evening. Hopefully they used up all their mojo.

Three for four on seed upsets today, with 4 Bradley over 5 SIU the only favorite to advance. Did not see that coming!
#CrusadersForever

VUGrad1314

Bradley will now be the MVC auto bid placeholder in tomorrow's Lunardi bracket update. Wow.

Missouri State looked very impressive. Seemed like they barely broke a sweat tonight. We'd better be ready. Go Valpo! I BELIEVE!

Hey if we can have more PIG team quarterfinal wins in one day than there have ever been why can't we make the Finals? Nothing saying we can't so let's do it!

VUGrad1314

8 and 7 seeds beat 1 and 2 seeds: A Tale of 2 Conferences:

Big 10: "This just shows the depth of this conference and the unimaginable grind these teams go through night in and night out. A testament to why they're getting 126789 teams in the tournament this year."

MVC: "Ha! UNI and Loyola lost to Drake and Valpo! I told you this conference sucks! The top of this conference have been such fraudulent paper tigers all year. They're lucky they at least have the auto bid."

Tell me, what makes these situations so different? Why can't we be considered for the good strong deep league that we are and get a little love from the committee? We're just like the Big 10 in that we are deep and cannibalize each other so what gives? Asking for a friend.

oklahomamick

Because one conference has huge media rights and sponsors and the other one doesn't. 
CRUSADERS!!!

JD24

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 07, 2020, 05:29:55 AMBecause one conference has huge media rights and sponsors and the other one doesn't.
There's definitely a strong element of media bias involved. It has seemed we've spent the entire season trying to figure out how North Carolina is going to make the tournament. I've also been a strong supporter of not going with a power 5 conference 8th place finisher over an at larger from a "lesser" conference but I'm not sure this is the year to be complaining about the MVC in that fashion. UNI had a real bad loss in a conference quarter. They didn't lose in a conference final on a buzzer beater. They essentially shot themselves and the conference in the foot. Not that the tournament performance should be the overriding factor but it was absolutely the wrong thing to happen.