• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FB Recruiting 2020

Started by VULB#62, November 08, 2019, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpofb16

New Commit: WR Tyler Blizzard 5'11 170 Woodgrove High School, VA.

Other Offers:

HS National Rank:3185

QB:
RB: Robinson
WR: Blizzard
TE: Vickers, Johnson, Evans
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert
DL: Kessen, Folkestad
LB: Robbins, Bogans
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo
K: Knotek

valpofb16

New Commit: DL Trent Miller 6'1 220, Pine-Richland HS PA.

Other Offers: Butler University

HS National Rank:184!

QB:
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert
DL: Kessen, Folkestad, Miller

valpofb16

New Commit: Carter Woody 6'3 305 OL Charlotte Catholic, NC

Other Offers: Marist, Mars Hill, Catholic University

HS National Rank: 275

QB:
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody

NWIGuy

this might be better in a different thread, but...

Anyone have any insight to how first couple of weeks of off-season training have gone? I'm optimistic that having a dedicated football S & C coach in place right when players returned from winter break will pay dividends later. I know it's early and recruiting gets the headlines this time of year, but I'd love to hear about the kind of start the returning players are off to.   Bigger? Faster? Stronger? Leaders emerging? Did any transfers come in? Who are they?

usc4valpo

I think Valpo needs to get out of the routine of redshirting freshmen if they are ready to play. Generally speaking, students would rather graduate in 4 years rather than 5 and not fork out cash for another year of tuition.

JD24

valpofb16

Here's the problem.

Name of the game in the PFL is retention. Best teams in the league are always playing with RSSO-RSSRs. Valpo is a very transient school.

For one they demand three years in the dorms, a constantly increasing tuition rate, weather is a factor, football team performance is a factor. Redshirting is not the problem whatsoever.

Having classes of 50 turn into 18 numbers wise is the problem. Until Valpo gets a group of kids committed to staying and the program then things will improve. I would recommend keep going the JUCO route if possible to even out the age discrepancy.

crusader05

How many of those that leave the team also leave the university?

If they all are transferring than yes it's a much bigger issue, but if they are just leaving the team what can be done to change that.

vu72

Quote from: crusader05 on January 22, 2020, 10:24:55 AM
How many of those that leave the team also leave the university?

If they all are transferring than yes it's a much bigger issue, but if they are just leaving the team what can be done to change that.

I think many just decide that the academic requirements are such that their best interests (getting passing to excellent grades and graduating on time) are best met without the practice, travel, weight room time constraints associated with being on the team. I doubt that many are transferring to other football teams.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

I just think Valpo needs to quit redshirting players so much and play freshmen if they are capable. Redshirting at a nonscholarship school makes little sense as tuition is steep.

valpofb16

UscValpo to answer your question

I would have to pull up numbers but I would say a very limited amount of players quit the team and finish their 4-year degree at Valpo.

Some transfer for football, others transfer for school, some dropout or just don't finish school

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 22, 2020, 12:52:21 PM
UscValpo to answer your question

I would have to pull up numbers but I would say a very limited amount of players quit the team and finish their 4-year degree at Valpo.

Some transfer for football, others transfer for school, some dropout or just don't finish school

In 2001 to 2005 timeline that rate was pretty decent.  I think I counted that around 12 football recruits were on the track team and graduated despite not continuing with football.  Others were in fraternities, so at least our small sample size that percentage seemed fair.

valpofb16

New Commit: Darius Lane RB 5'10 180 Sherando HS, VA.

Other Offers:

HS National Rank: 3380

QB:
RB: Robinson , Lane
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody

Large increase in east coast kids this year

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 22, 2020, 12:46:17 PMI just think Valpo needs to quit redshirting players so much and play freshmen if they are capable. Redshirting at a nonscholarship school makes little sense as tuition is steep.
Where are you getting this from? Valpo probably intentionally redshirts players less than most programs if not all in the PFL.

valpofb16

JD24 he is probably pointing at the fact Valpo redshirted every freshman this past season besides WR Jacob Berkemeier. Now to discredit his point Berkemeier has already transferred and left the program. Like I said the problem isn't in redshirting. The problem lies in tuition, the school, and the program.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 23, 2020, 07:00:55 AMJD24 he is probably pointing at the fact Valpo redshirted every freshman this past season besides WR Jacob Berkemeier. Now to discredit his point Berkemeier has already transferred and left the program. Like I said the problem isn't in redshirting. The problem lies in tuition, the school, and the program.
The question is are they redshirting freshman who can beat out the upper classmen or are they reshirting because they can't get on the field. I don't specifically know the answer to that question but last year's class was small anyway and I'm not sure who'd have played anyway.

He appears to be suggesting to solve a problem which doesn't appear to be one.

valpo64

Any word on the QB/DB from East Noble HS in Kendallville, IN?  He is a great athlete and I can't remember if he recently said that VU had offered him or had shown interest.

JD24

Quote from: valpo64 on January 23, 2020, 12:19:14 PMAny word on the QB/DB from East Noble HS in Kendallville, IN?  He is a great athlete and I can't remember if he recently said that VU had offered him or had shown interest.
Valpo, Morehead St. Butler, St Francis, Sienna

valpofb16

New Commit: Michael Foggie LB 5'11 200 Mt. Carmel, ill.

Other Offers: Concordia, North Park, Denison

HS National Rank: 107!

QB:
RB: Robinson , Lane
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie

valpofb16

New Commit: Joey Richmond Glenbars West, I'll.

Other Offers: Rochester, Saint Thomas , Harding ,Davidson , Bowdoin, Tufts, Carleton College, Elmhurst College, Southern Illinois (PWO)

HS National Rank: 642

QB:
RB: Robinson , Lane, Richmond
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie

valpofb16

New Commit: Brett Wetherington 6'0 205 Westbern Boone HS, Indiana

Other Offers:

HS National Rank: 996

QB:
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie, Wetherington

valpofb16

Shoutout Indyvalpo for helping me on this one

New Commit: Jon Stone 6'6 305 OL Frankenmuth, Mich.

Other Offers: Lawrence Tech

HS National Rank: 2765

QB:
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone

Oline numbers should not be a problem at least for a little while

valpofb16

Chase Bibler has transferred to Fresno City College

valpofb16

New Commit: Tytus Ragle WR 5'8 170 New Castle, IN

Other Offers: Indianapolis, Indiana Weslyan

HS National Rank: 7717

QB:
WR: Blizzard, Ragle
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 26, 2020, 05:57:42 PMNew Commit: Tytus Ragle WR 5'8 170 New Castle, IN 
Andrew Cassara part II?