• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FB Recruiting 2020

Started by VULB#62, November 08, 2019, 08:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 30, 2020, 06:36:08 PMJD24 - please read the first 2 words of the message - "right now": I am implying as of today, Cecchini was/is a better coach. fox has a lot of learning.
Is he? He went 4-8 with another coaches recruits. 1-9 in year two when those recruits moved on and eventually had a winning record before completely cratering in his final year as he slinked away from the program leaving nothing for the next guy. 

Fox shows up a week before spring ball, has no time to recruit or put together a staff and is stuck dealing with typical attrition and the same QB you referenced being injured as an excuse for Cecchini isn't factored in your analysis of Fox.

There isn't anything much which shows either coach to be any better than the other.

You can say he or both are better than Carlson.

usc4valpo

jD24 - fair enough, but he did have a winning season at Valpo and was COY. Right now Fox is learning, and I think that is about all you can say after a 1-11 season with little talent. Carlson was probably the worst coach In Valpo football history.

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpofb16 on January 29, 2020, 08:03:47 AM

Fox's attrition rate has been much worse than expected and we could see anywhere from 50-60 new faces at 40 now with holes yet to fill
Have we really lost that many?
Based on what has been posted we lost Russell and McKeag to injures plus Ruszkowski, Brewer, Berkmeier, Biblee, Kelly and Allen for a total of 8. Are there a bunch of additional?

valpofb16

In terms of the Cecchini take over, that team was really upper class men heavy. Roughly 60-70 RSSO-RSSR. Carlson really retained the classes of 2011 and 2012 which lead to an older team. Also massive respect but once we got a football S&C guy in Rouse numbers improved dramatically. What happened in 2015 with Cecchini is that the 2013 and 2011 class were essentially gone, thus leading to about 25 seniors, a mix of juniors and sophomores, then 60 freshman

valpofb16

New Commit: Connor Milks 6'4 190 WR Pope John XXXIII HS, NJ

NOTE: Team went 1-10 and was still top 4,000. Must be very high competition

Other Offers: Assumption, Pace, Fordham

HS National Rank: 3791

QB: Beck
RB: Robinson , Lane, Richmond, Becton
WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks
TE: Vickers, Johnson, Evans
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone, Szczepanski
DL: Kessen, Folkestad, Miller, Price
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie, Wetherington, Mekky, Hafner
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo, Vargas, Rushing, Hutcherson
K: Knotek

valpofb16

New Commit: Dalton Guthrie 6'0 190 RB South Dearborn HS, IN.

Other Offers:

HS National Rank: 6881

RB: Robinson , Lane, Richmond, Becton, Guthrie
WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks
OL: Kelley, Byrd, Eberhart, Carpenter, Heinrich, Fortner, Garrard, Covert, Woody, Stone, Szczepanski

valpofb16

New Commit: Cameron Livingston 6'0 185 WR Leo HS, IN.

Other Offers: St. Francis

HS National Rank: 2390

WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks, Livingston

usc4valpo

We should also be cognizant that if a Valpo head coach is successful, he will eventually leave for a better, higher paying job. I cannot blame Cecchini for leaving for a better job - better conference, more pay - just like any of us when a better job opportunity is available. When Cecchini was hired, most of us on this board knew this was a stepping stone and not a permanent job. I think Cecchini inherited a mess and did very well. In his final year there was a void at QB (hey, just like this past season!). But also, he likely had some alterior motives in his final season leading to his departure. Another criticism of Cecchini is that he left the football program with loose ends where the transition has been painful - not a good indicator of leadership.

As for Fox, we cannot evaluate his performance yet. Limited recruiting, pretty bare cupboard - this recruiting year is critical. My concern is not Fox, but the overall apathy of the university, students and alums toward the football program.

IndyValpo

Cecchini certainly righted the ship but appears to have spent his final year preparing to move on. They definitely mailed it in recruiting last year. In the end he left the situation not much better than he inherited.

But he landed himself and a couple of assistants better jobs.

valpofb16

Wetherington has decommitted, going to Indiana University as a PWO

Have some new recruits to post, will be tomorrow

JD24

QuoteWe should also be cognizant that if a Valpo head coach is successful, he will eventually leave for a better, higher paying job.

The number of programs at every level of college ball which don't have to have the same cognizant ability within their fans is very, very small.

Quote from: usc4valpo on February 01, 2020, 09:10:24 AMAs for Fox, we cannot evaluate his performance yet. Limited recruiting, pretty bare cupboard - this recruiting year is critical. 

This is absolutely true.

So why do you repeatedly attempt to compare him to another coach?
Just bizarre.

JD24

Glad to see a couple of WRs with some size. Couple of pretty small guys had committed. While it is possible that they are Cassara part II, I think the odds are against it.

usc4valpo

24, I will bag the comparison discussion, and I can be bizarre. I guess when folks on this board have an issue of coaching a football team like business, I tend to disagree. You need to figure out what works best as a whole. There should be nothing negative is using this approach.

valpofb16

New Commit: Luke Patterson 6'0 170 WR Valparaiso HS, IND

Other Offers: N/A

HS National Rank: 371

WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks, Livingston, Patterson
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie,  Mekky, Hafner

valpofb16

New Commit: Joshua Gholston DB 6'1 170 Blacksburg HS, Virginia

Other Offers: N/A

HS National Rank: 3692

WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks, Livingston, Patterson
DB: Day, Backes, Carrilo, Vargas, Rushing, Hutcherson, Gholston

valpofb16

New Commit: Trey Hayes 5'9 180 WR Dominion HS, Virginia

Other Offers: West Virginia State, West Liberty, Saint Francis (PA)

HS National Rank: 6559

WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks, Livingston, Patterson, Hayes

valpofb16

New Commit: James Doerer 6'2 210 Gross Pointe South, Mich.

Other Offers: Bates, Oberlin, Denison

HS National Rank: 1916

WR: Blizzard, Ragle, Maxwell, Jones, Milks, Livingston, Patterson, Hayes
LB: Robbins, Bogans, Foggie,  Mekky, Hafner, Doerer

valpofb16

Signing day 2/3 , expect a lot to be announced today, should be a few guys who were on bubble who are added on

Still no word on a HS QB incoming. I know we lost the one that visited to Gannon. Right now there are 4 on roster. Don't think the staff should sign one just to have one. 4 should get them through season

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on December 21, 2019, 02:55:50 PM
Quote from: valpofb16 on December 18, 2019, 09:04:24 PMBrock Johnson (FB from TX)
This guy appears to be a Fullback in name only. I looked at his highlights and he lined up in the backfield and ran the ball but didn't seem to play as a typical for these times fullback. More of an H-back or TE. He also appears too tall to be a true FB. Whatever he's called, his highlights indicate some ability.

This guy signed with UTPB University of Texas P......Basin

All of the other previously listed recruits have signed except no mention of the 2 FCS transfer. Also added at least 5 additional.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 05, 2020, 02:07:41 PM
Permian

The University of Texas Permian Basin Falcons
in Odessa, TX

https://utpbfalcons.com/sports/2011/1/25/GEN_0125114312.aspx

NCAA Division II
UT Permian Basin are members of the NCAA and compete at the Division II level. Full membership was gained in fall of 2008. Visit the NCAA website by clicking here.

The University of Texas System
UT Permian Basin is a part of the University of Texas System, which includes campuses at UT Arlington, UT Austin,  UT Dallas, UT El Paso, UT Rio Grande Valley, UT San Antonio and UT Tyler. Visit the UT system website by clicking here.

https://www.utsystem.edu/

IndyValpo

I have seen a few new signings trickle in:
Noah Carlton, K Chino Hills CA
Thomas Palmer DL Saco, ME
Jacob Cleaver DB no other info

I think this may be our first kid from Maine.

usc4valpo

Jacob Cleaver, grandson of Theodore? Perhaps he wants to get away from Uncle Eddie...

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 09, 2020, 10:56:13 AM
Jacob Cleaver, grandson of Theodore? Perhaps he wants to get away from Uncle Eddie...

So, Wally, my grandson, Jacob, is going to play football at Valpo in Indiana.

Gee, Beav, that's great, but will they beat Butler this year?

valpofb16

New Transfer:

Anthony Sciarroni from D2 Alderson Broaduss University. St. Francis HS

WR/DB, 6'0 190

Will come in as a RSSO.

Other offer was Urbana