• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #3 Valpo @ SIU-Edwardsville Cougars 11/12 7:00 ESPN+

Started by talksalot, November 11, 2019, 08:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NativeCheesehead

We are a very talented team with a couple of YUGE flaws. No three point shooter without Ryan and no true big.

govalpogo

They shot so many free throws in practice that they forgot how to play defense!   :o  Seriously, though, being out-hustled in an unacceptable manner.  Let's get it together out there!

RS

Out hustled and beat down low under the basket. NOT impressive. Offense looks confused.

wh

SIUE is shooting 18-28 (64%) from 2, mostly on layups and put backs.

VUSL98

Just tuning in.  Maybe I should skip the second half too.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

NativeCheesehead

Hey, look! A pep band! I hear those are popular in collegiate round ball.

talksalot

What a second half for JFL and Kiser !!!   25 and 10 for JFL with 7 to play... Lets go Valpo!   

SanityLost17

Quote from: talksalot on November 12, 2019, 08:37:21 PM
What a second half for JFL and Kiser !!!   25 and 10 for JFL with 7 to play... Lets go Valpo!

Still... Overall not a very good game from us.    Our defense needs to improve A LOT by mvc play.  Refs helped us a lot throughout the game with bailout calls when we get ourselves into awkward situations.     A win is a win but I am not particularly proud of this one.   

VUSL98

Glad I hung in there.  A win is a win is a win.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

nkvu

A less than stellar first half but better play in the second half got the win. Much better free throw shooting definitely helped tonight.

govalpogo

Better in the second half despite some sloppy stretches.  Outcome never really in doubt down the stretch.  Double digit win in regulation.  I'll take it, but it's hard to get too excited about struggling a bit against Edwardsville when a division foe beats the #1 team in the country!  EDIT: We also didn't lose to Coppin State at home so... Check this one off and keep working on how the offense will work without Zeke.     

VULB#62

JFL — dominant dbl. dbl.

He is so good even compared to last year. And he'll get even better as the team comes together and he gets even more comfortable. No doubt he is our go to guy the rest of the way.

wh

Huge double-double for Javon - 30 and 14. Huge 2nd half for Nick (15 and 6 in 14 minutes) to finish with 19 and 8.

valporun

Quote from: valpo64 on November 11, 2019, 03:06:00 PM
It must be remembered that mid-majors  are not always able to schedule who they want to play in non-conference games.  The options are not always there as all the better mid-major teams are looking for the same type of competition that we  look to schedule.  What we would like to do often differs from what we are able to do.

I believe Luke paired this game up with Saint Louis U. It was more just to get another game in before the Paradise Jam, and was a good game on the return home from St. Louis. Nothing more nothing less.

valpotx

Good second half.  JFL has improved his shot so much, which will be key to us winning more games this year.  They can't just play off him like teams used to do with Erik Buggs, making it 5 on the remaining 4 inside the 3-pt line.  Excited to see the spacing that this provides throughout the season!
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: valpotx on November 13, 2019, 01:51:05 AM
Good second half.  JFL has improved his shot so much, which will be key to us winning more games this year.  They can't just play off him like teams used to do with Erik Buggs, making it 5 on the remaining 4 inside the 3-pt line.  Excited to see the spacing that this provides throughout the season!

I had the same concern with Sackey.  It's good to see that teams will have to take him seriously shooting from the outside.
Beamin' Beacons

wh

POS   MIN   FGM-A   3PM-A   FTM-A   OREB   DREB   RB   AST   STL   BLK   TO   PF   PTS

Robinson,Nick   F   23       5-10     1-5             8-8        3         5       8     1         0     0    2    3     19

19 points, 8 rebounds, 8-8 FT in 23 minutes.  Amazing PER40 stats.  His only negative stat was 1-5 3PTFG, but no doubt that will improve. 

VULB#62

Thank you for the slo-mo on Sackey. Off the fake, he had two dribbles down even while the guy guarding him was still falling away in reaction.  But please don't broadcast that clip too broadly, because that allowed me to count Daniel's steps, and it apears to me that he was so quick that no one saw that third step before he left the floor and then bounce-passed back for the easy layup  ;D LOL.

VUBBFan

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 13, 2019, 02:41:46 PMThank you for the slo-mo on Sackey. Off the fake, he had two dribbles down even while the guy guarding him was still falling away in reaction.  But please don't broadcast that clip too broadly, because that allowed me to count Daniel's steps, and it apears to me that he was so quick that no one saw that third step before he left the floor and then bounce-passed back for the easy layup  ;D LOL.

He's just playing at the NBA level. They always get at least 4 steps.

crusadermoe

Not sure about you guys, but I am going to love this year whether we win 18-20 or not.  I am just thrilled to watch a whole team full of guys who hustle, move who their feet on defense, who care about getting the best shot each time, and anticipate passes and rebounds.  They also seem to like each other and have some fun.  JFL smiles a few times when he screws up but conveys he knows its on him.     

Contrast that to Smits, Sorolla, and Bakari and their pouting selfishness.   

Anyway, moving on I really like the play of Robinson and Clay.   Robinson just seems to fill in everything and not make a fuss. 

The big breakthrough for me is Maleek.   Wow its fun to watch a big guy jump, reach out to the ball, and pull it down against his body!!   Great work by Luke.   He is a really strong kid!!

wh

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 15, 2019, 03:58:22 PM
Not sure about you guys, but I am going to love this year whether we win 18-20 or not.  I am just thrilled to watch a whole team full of guys who hustle, move who their feet on defense, who care about getting the best shot each time, and anticipate passes and rebounds.  They also seem to like each other and have some fun.  JFL smiles a few times when he screws up but conveys he knows its on him.     

Contrast that to Smits, Sorolla, and Bakari and their pouting selfishness.   

Anyway, moving on I really like the play of Robinson and Clay.   Robinson just seems to fill in everything and not make a fuss. 

The big breakthrough for me is Maleek.   Wow its fun to watch a big guy jump, reach out to the ball, and pull it down against his body!!   Great work by Luke.   He is a really strong kid!!

Excellent post.  Couldn't agree more.

PlumStreetBum

This is a pet peeve of mine, but can we PLEASE spell these guys' names correctly?

valpotx

Mileek looks really strong this year.  His body has become much like what I remember of Kikas' last few years, and that strength will help him quite a bit.  It also makes him look taller than his 6'8"/6'9"
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: crusadermoe on November 15, 2019, 03:58:22 PMAnyway, moving on I really like the play of Robinson and Clay.   Robinson just seems to fill in everything and not make a fuss. 

Nick's smile is also infectious too.