• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Drake @ The ARC 1/11/20 3pm CST on ESPN3

Started by VUSWIM08-12, January 10, 2020, 11:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FieldGoodie05

Ryan Broekhoff destroys HL competition, does he do the same in the MVC?

Alec Peters destroys HL competition, does he do the same in the MVC?

If JFL played in the HL would he also destroy competition?

Don't we think the roster competing around these guys is the biggest difference?  If you set aside 2015/16 season, did we have rosters in the HL that would be Top 2 in the present MVC?  You can get away with an all-star player in basketball while playing inferior competition (HL at times).  However, when are we ever playing inferior competition in the MVC?  Our supporting cast is down these last few years against superior competition.  In the end the coach sets up the players for success, but the players have to execute.  Neither are doing it this year.

"Listen, if you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table then you ARE the sucker."
-Rounders

VUGrad1314

Did I just hear the Valley called a one bid league?! WE DON'T KNOW THAT YET! STOP PUTTING THAT IN PEOPLE'S HEADS AND PUSHING THAT NARRATIVE! We CAN be a multibid league. If the freaking OVC can do it the MVC can have years where they get three. For Christ's sake.

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Big offensive rebound at the end. 

back to .500 in the MVC. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

I LOVE YOU JAVON!!!! GOT THE REBOUND THAT MATTERED!

valpotx

When will announcers for the home team remember to shutup and not jinx FTs? :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

YES DANIEL!!! THERE'S THAT DEFENSE AND FIGHT!!!

VUGrad1314

People are seriously sitting right now?! Boo...

oklahomamick

There's the difference between the HL and MVC.  Coaches in the MVC watch filmed and sniffed out the home run play. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

VUGrad1314

VUGrad1314

VALPO LI

Shine on Vu

VUGrad1314

How 'bout it guys? 2-2 looks a heck of a lot better than 1-3 doesn't it?

vu72

How many times have we been on the other end of free throw disparity?  Our guys played pretty sloppy but made the free throws when it counted.  Drake beat Loyola.  No reason to think we can't be in the hunt for a title.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

We were extremely lucky that Drake couldn't buy a wide open 3.  They weren't even contested 3's, and folks at this level, will usually drain those against us.  A win is a win, but that first 10 minutes of the second half were ugly as hell.
"Don't mess with Texas"

PlumStreetBum

I'll always take a W, but Drake lost this game, we didn't win it.

Drake made 85% of their 2-point attempts. If they weren't ice cold from 3, we lose by a dozen.

VUGrad1314

You're right. We're lucky. But you need a little luck. Sometimes that's what a struggling team like ours needs to turn it around. I hope we look back at this game as a turning point for our season and the post-SIU row\consensus as a turning point for this board. I know it was for me personally!

valpopal

I've said it on here before, but this seems as true an example as ever: no matter how ugly the victory or how many deficiencies exhibited in execution, a priority in the MVC is to win your home games. Therefore, check off the mission accomplished box today!

VUGrad1314

PlumStreetBum

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on January 11, 2020, 05:14:12 PM
You're right. We're lucky. But you need a little luck. Sometimes that's what a struggling team like ours needs to turn it around. I hope we look back at this game as a turning point for our season and the post-SIU row\consensus as a turning point for this board. I know it was for me personally!

Oh I'll take all the luck I can get, just wish we could be lucky AND improve our shooting defense. I'm not greedy, I get that we gamble to get steals and create possessions for ourselves, but a 4 or 5% improvement makes a big impact on our record, with the close losses we've had (Cincinnati, Arkansas, Loyola).