• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo hosts UNI Game Thread, Wed., Feb. 5, 2020, 7:00p CT

Started by wh, February 04, 2020, 11:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on February 05, 2020, 07:41:16 PM
Don't worry guys. We'll cut it to 5 in the second half before losing by 16.

Another moral victory!   

I'm not at all in a laughing mood, but I have to admit I chuckled when I read this.

VUSWIM08-12

I'm real classy tonight, Admiral Nelson and Coke. Matt's interview tells you everything you need to know. "We need to play harder" THAT STARTS WITH YOU MATT, get them going , call a timeout, get a T, DO FAWKING SOMETHING. UGHH! I wouldn't be  so angry if I didnt think we had the talent, but we do IMO! ML is squandering it.

NativeCheesehead

That half was so hopeless LaBarbera gave Tracy Dorow another contract extension.

oklahomamick

It bothers me when coaches always point hard effort and not playing hard enough.  That's not always the solution.  We need an identity, set plays, an offense (I heard we have a motion one, but haven't seen it), teamwork, strategy. 

If every time my team was losing all I came up with was to play harder, I would lose the locker room.  Be smarter.
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Our best player had 2 shots.  Were there any plays set up for him?  How many screens did we give him?  You think Bruce would set back and not design something for Alec? 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: valpopal on February 05, 2020, 07:48:20 PM
Gordon gets elbowed to the head on his shot and is lying in pain on the court. Everyone sees it clearly on the replay as it is determined not to be a flagrant foul, but it should have been an "and one," and milquetoast Lottich doesn't even complain at all to the officials about the non-call. I give up on trying to understand this  :censored: !

Im sure you heard what Matt said in a recent postgame. He says the refs have a harder job than he does and believes they are not intentionally trying to screw us (my paraphrase). Said he just calmly asks them to explain. He may agree or disagree. You can like it. You can hate it. But that's the way it is. I will say this. I've never taken to kindly to someone yelling at me. That person will never get the response they're looking for. Matt may be on to something.

NativeCheesehead

F@&$ this game. Going back to the hotel bar.

You're all awesome. Let's get rid of this coach and MAKE VALPO BASKETBALL NOT SUCK AGAIN.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on February 05, 2020, 07:59:37 PM
Quote from: valpopal on February 05, 2020, 07:48:20 PM
Gordon gets elbowed to the head on his shot and is lying in pain on the court. Everyone sees it clearly on the replay as it is determined not to be a flagrant foul, but it should have been an "and one," and milquetoast Lottich doesn't even complain at all to the officials about the non-call. I give up on trying to understand this  :censored: !

Im sure you heard what Matt said in a recent postgame. He says the refs have a harder job than he does and believes they are not intentionally trying to screw us (my paraphrase). Said he just calmly asks them to explain. He may agree or disagree. You can like it. You can hate it. But that's the way it is. I will say this. I've never taken to kindly to someone yelling at me. That person will never get the response they're looking for. Matt may be on to something.

Being a bit more forceful toward the officials isn't just to get to them, but it also shows your players the coach has their backs and it energizes the team. The coach can be selective, and the long lull in the first half was the perfect time for that action. However, we could just go with what Matt has said, since we can all see that has worked so well!  ;)

nkvu

Someday I hope we will recruit some shooters. Good athletes are good to have and all, but occasionally somebody has to make a shot.

valpolaw

I miss the days when Valpo basketball was fun to watch and put me in a great mood, not a pissed off/stressed mood.

oklahomamick

Honest question. 

Was there one Bryce Drew team that would lose to any of Lottich's coached teams?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

This is on the players.  Missed a ton of wide open 3s.  That is not Lottich's fault.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUSL98

And the percentage of Sackey's "slashes" to the rim which are successful is ...?

valpotx

This is the type of game where the players need to look at themselves in the mirror when they get home, and decide if they want to be another bottom-dwelling MVC team.  That was a pathetic shooting effort, and many of the shots were uncontested or barely contested.
"Don't mess with Texas"

govalpogo

ALL YOU NEED IS A  :rant: PULSE FROM 3!!!  Christ, that is so frustrating to watch.  Do you all really think that the coaching strategy is to miss at the rim and miss open 3's!?! 

Hard to believe Loyola and Ill St. looked even worse on the scoreboard tonight.  I just want to be pleasantly surprised one time by this team.  Pattern continues in the most aggravating manner. 

NativeCheesehead

Me: "I'm so sick of this mediocrity!"
Fellow alum: "Mediocrity would be an upgrade."

govalpogo

Quote from: valpolaw on February 05, 2020, 08:32:38 PM
I miss the days when Valpo basketball was fun to watch and put me in a great mood, not a pissed off/stressed mood.

Frankly, I don't know if this was ever the case.  I've been scaring the dog (actually 2 dogs now) into the other room for years because of Valpo Basketball.  Yes, even the Bryce years.

oklahomamick

This UNI team is good, and I'll give them credit. 

But we have had a lot of Valpo teams over the years (not the last 3 years) that could hang and beat this team. 

Vashil would have swatted everything in the paint.  Alec would have hit 3's (got open by great Jubril screens) Carter/Lexus/Shane would have driven into the lane. 

Or, KW/Bobby would have neutralized their big man, Rowdy would have hit 3's, Woods/Buggs/Bogan/Kenney/Boggs would have driven in to the lane. 

#truth
CRUSADERS!!!

GoldenCrusader87

Wow. That was tough to watch yet alone enjoy as some form of cruel irony. When will the buck stop with the coaching?

When patterns remain - even after all sorts of players transfer - and our head coach is the lone common denominator ... when will we face the music?

We have the talent. We do not come out prepared. Plain and simple. Our body language says it all. The fans, student section, etc. (or lack there of) say it all.

We are not progressing nicely. Things are not going well. Bearing other bottom of the league teams and digging ourselves out of holes for mediocrity is not good enough - is it?

I'm at the point where I don't even get upset any longer. It's become an expectation. And I'm having a hard time - apart from tradition and a financial investment - wondering why I continue wasting my time and money.

If MLB gives Matt a 4 year extension, we all need to accept this is the Valpo way. This is it and as good as it's going to get. We'll win some here and there ... beat teams out of pure talent or luck or by having a good night or by the other team not but mediocre would be a goal at this point.

That was an incredibly boring game day experience. No way administration can be there and think this is trending in the right direction.

I'm an eternal optimist but come on.

VU2014

I don't want to be the guy who bangs the drum for a coaching change, but I think we've seen enough of a sample size. Yes there are roster flaws on this team but the long offensive lapse are unacceptable and have been consistent theme through Lottich's tenure.

I don't know what the answer is but this team should be playing better. They play hard, I'll give them that. There is talent on this team for sure.

I'll be honest, the Lottich era has just exhausted me and I love this team/program. I'm just tired...

NativeCheesehead

The slow starts are no longer a trend, they're an epidemic. I saw the World Health Organization has a press conference scheduled for Thursday. I assume this is what they'll be talking about.

VALPO LI

Going 3-23 from 3pt land and 16-57 FG can't be all on the coach.  The shots were there.  The plays were drawn up.  The bottom line is the ball needs to go through the net and that didn't happen.

Kiser, Krikke 0 pts.
Sackey 1 pt.
McMillan 3 pts.
Clay 4 pts.

Each one of those players scores 1 bucket and we may be having a different conversation this morning.
Shine on Vu

vok22

The first few minutes, the shots weren't good, but after that we were just missing everything no matter how open. If this was a one game thing, fine, but this happens consistently. We only have one person that can consistently make a jump shot and that is Ryan. But at this point in most ball players career they aren't just going to transform into shooters, so while we might improve next year, I have a hard time seeing us moving up all that much. We are going to lose our only consistent shooter and maybe Clay or Krikke or Javon (if he doesn't bail) improves their shot a little but will it really be enough to make up for Ryan AND then some (or really a lot, which is what we need after another sub 15% 3pt shooting night)? I am guessing no.

Edit: To be fair, we will also be adding Ognacevic and Edwards. Ognacevic is averaging like 39 and 19, and I think I saw somehwere that he is shooting like 38% from three, which is okay but that is also from high school distance against high school competition. Edwards is supposed to be a good shooter though. So hopefully they can contribute right out of the gate.