• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lottich's Contract

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 21, 2020, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Plenty of coaches have earned COY, due to far exceeding expectations.  It isn't an assumption that only the top 2 teams have a legitimate shot at such a thing. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Agreed but In this case we were predicted finish 9th and we finished 7th.  We didn't exceed expectations by that much.   
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

If Evansville and Illinois state weren't downright awful this year, we would likely be very near the bottom of the league.

On the other hand, if we won a few of the close games we had, we would have had a much better finish in the conference.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 29, 2020, 07:48:07 PMAgreed but In this case we were predicted finish 9th and we finished 7th.  We didn't exceed expectations by that much.

Yeah as nice as it is to remember that 7th is indeed better than 9th (where we were picked and where we were last year) a Thursday team is a Thursday team. There's no difference between 7 and 10 in the scheme of things just as there's  no real difference between 3 and 6.

valpotx

We finished tied for 6th, but have the 7 seed for the tournament.  There is a difference there.  Also, my comment on the other thread, before the game, was that if we win at ISUb, he has a good shot.  That would have held true, as we probably would have finished 4th.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

So, the amazing Bryan Mullins loses 5 of 6 down the stretch ....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpo64

Losing 5 out of last 6 does not sound like COY material to me.  However he still could win it I guess.

NativeCheesehead

What is oddly fascinating about this whole thing is that we're another year in without a definitive answer. I honestly felt coming into this year we'd see a mostly united front by March in either firing or extending him. Instead he's given both his supporters and detractors a few more rounds of ammo for their respective positions.

oklahomamick

There are some good takes on mvc forum regarding Lottich.  Some non biased opinions. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VUGrad1314

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 02, 2020, 10:49:44 AMThere are some good takes on mvc forum regarding Lottich.  Some non biased opinions.

You're welcome for the thread.  :)  Since we're having such an issue finding a definitive answer ourselves I thought it was a good topic to take to the conference board to solicit outside opinions.

VUGrad1314

And that is a reason why we should be glad we are where we are...

valpotx

Ha!  Where is Golden to say that only top teams get COY??
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Why wouldn't the UNI coach be considered as COY?

valpotx

I can't say enough about how Lottich has adapted over the second half of conference season.  Today's second half was a masterful job in coaching.  He purposely played Kiser as our big, pulling Crapwig out of the paint.  You could tell that Crapwig was gassed towards the end.  Sign him up for 3-4 years!
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

That was a great tactical move by coach.  Others in the valley will take note.
CRUSADERS!!!

elephtheria47

he's progressing nicely, extend him

VUGrad1314

Have they finished Matt's extension yet? Keep us posted!

GoldenCrusader87

As I've said in other threads, I was pleasantly surprised by ML's in-game and between-game adjustments. Idk what changed down the stretch but it was impressive.

Am I ready to say we should extend him to a long term extension? Not quite. Do I think he deserves 3 years with additional options for a 4th, etc? Yes - I could go with that - especially because of the star power of Krikke and Clay assuming they stay the next 3 years.

Others? I obviously overreact throughout the season.

But I also think there's some merit to some of our reservations and rationales along the way. So, we need to be careful not to overcommit either, agreed?

Now, quantifying overcommitting and so forth is tough as it's easier said in theory than in practice with real figures.

With that said, maybe ML's competitive nature is magnified when he's "under the wire" and so it would be helpful if he has built in incentives and also conditions for the years of the contract's length.

IndyEIT777

VUGrad1314

Right move at this time with the upward trajectory of this program. It was either extend him now or risk more transfers instability and another rebuild. I'd rather ride with what we have and see if we can keep trending upward.

wh

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 29, 2020, 01:06:48 PM
Right move at this time with the upward trajectory of this program. It was either extend him now or risk more transfers instability and another rebuild. I'd rather ride with what we have and see if we can keep trending upward.

With the odds seemingly stacked against him, Matt did an amazing job of righting this proud program and positioning it for future success. The returning players love playing for him, and he added what appears to be another good to very good recruiting class. A well earned vote of confidence!

valpotx

Good decision, and fully supportive of this extension!
"Don't mess with Texas"

M

Support the extension...it better not have come with a pay raise given what other employees of the university have been through.

valpo64

Great for Matt...for sure the new contract should include a pay raise .