• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lottich's Contract

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 21, 2020, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

Not sure I agree - I think there is an assumption that Valpo basketball is progressing and I see the importance of stability, but how many schools would consider him as a head coach?

NativeCheesehead

While I can't claim to be over the moon excited, I'm fine with this. Who knows what the next couple of years are going to be like, having stability will be important. By the time CBB is back to 'normal', if it ever is, this contract will be half over and if we need to move on, we can. He's recruited well, and if we can make it through a single offseason without an impact transfer, he'll have a stacked roster in the next couple of years.

He does deserve a lot of credit for the run in St. Louis this year. But we were still a Thursday team. Again. For me progress this year is staying out of that bottom four.

usc4valpo

I would hope our aspirations are higher than just being an average team.

SanityLost17

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 30, 2020, 07:49:43 AM
While I can't claim to be over the moon excited, I'm fine with this. Who knows what the next couple of years are going to be like, having stability will be important. By the time CBB is back to 'normal', if it ever is, this contract will be half over and if we need to move on, we can. He's recruited well, and if we can make it through a single offseason without an impact transfer, he'll have a stacked roster in the next couple of years.

He does deserve a lot of credit for the run in St. Louis this year. But we were still a Thursday team. Again. For me progress this year is staying out of that bottom four.

We were only a Thursday team because we didn't have our 50% 3 point shooting senior leader the 1st half of the conference season and our future NBA player had mono for the last half of the season.    Even after all that, if we get some better officiating on the road at Drake down the stretch, we are not a Thursday team, would have only had to play 3 games in a row instead of 4, and might have had enough in the tank to make the dance by not running out of energy the last 10 minutes of the championship game. 

Player development has been great.   Players, when healthy and buy in to his philosophy, improve by leaps and bounds every season.   If that means some of them get so good they want to transfer, so be it.   

mj

I like this contract. I've been hard on Lottich in the past but he really turned the corner this past year and the team is on the rise.

Like it or not, the success of the university depends on the success of the basketball team.
I believe that we will win.

VUGrad1314

This has been true for a long time but I hope everyone sees it as the plain clear truth now...

wh

Quote from: usc4valpo on July 30, 2020, 05:45:08 AM
Not sure I agree - I think there is an assumption that Valpo basketball is progressing and I see the importance of stability, but how many schools would consider him as a head coach?

Your question isn't pertinent to the situation. ML had 2 choices - give Matt an extension or find a new coach. How long do you think he mulled that over in his mind? 5 minutes? It's a no-brainer.

FWalum

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on July 30, 2020, 07:49:43 AMHe does deserve a lot of credit for the run in St. Louis this year. But we were still a Thursday team. Again.
Quote from: SanityLost17 on July 30, 2020, 11:12:51 AMWe were only a Thursday team because we didn't have our 50% 3 point shooting senior leader the 1st half of the conference season and our future NBA player had mono for the last half of the season.

You can always play the "What if" game, but I agree this was not a "Thursday" team if Ryan is not hurt or maybe even if he only misses 10 games instead of 17 (18 if you consider that he played 10 minutes at St Louis).  Bradley faced similar circumstances with Childs, but was a little luckier that his injury was not as severe and didn't last quite as long. I think in reality both of these teams would have been in the top 4 of the conference with out the injuries. With Ryan we have excellent chances to beat both Cincinnati and Arkansas, this team would have been a beast with extremely high confidence if we win both of those games and come out of the OOC schedule at 9-4 or a very doable 10-3. Completely different ballgame at that point.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VUGrad1314

That may not have put us in the at large convo if it had happened but surely we would have been in the NIT At large convo with that resume. And I hate to do this but do you think JFL transfers even in this environment if Ryan stays healthy and we beat Cincinnati an d Arkansas while finishing in the top 4?

usc4valpo

I guess we will see what happens. I am sure they thought this through, but Valpo has been pretty average of late.

vu84v2

Quote from: mj on July 31, 2020, 11:52:52 AM

Like it or not, the success of the university depends on the success of the basketball team.

What is the primary revenue source for the university? To what degree do the people who make decisions that lead to that revenue care about the success of the basketball team?

I really like Valpo basketball and feel that success brings positive attention to the university. However, there are resources and capabilities that drive the success of the university far more than the basketball team.

M

@valpo64...a pay raise for what? Being in the bottom 4 each of the last___ years? You have very low standards for giving out raises (can I work for you)!

mj

Quote from: vu84v2 on July 31, 2020, 11:34:48 PMWhat is the primary revenue source for the university? To what degree do the people who make decisions that lead to that revenue care about the success of the basketball team?

I really like Valpo basketball and feel that success brings positive attention to the university. However, there are resources and capabilities that drive the success of the university far more than the basketball team

I think we have different definitions of success. Yes, the university will still go on even with a mediocre basketball program. But the only way for Valpo to gain national recognition is through basketball. Look at Butler and Loyola.

National exposure means more students. Which is what we need right now.
I believe that we will win.

usc4valpo

If basketball brings in students, then Valpo needs to be better than a couple games over .500.  Valpo athletics and many on this board  seem to be satisfied with a commitment to mediocrity.

GoldenCrusader87

Would be intrigued to see dollar amounts and details in the contract though we likely never will as it's a private university - right??

One of the positives about it being private if you're Matt I suppose. Given the sheer volume of cuts the university appears to be making and the number of furloughs etc - seems like a big ask to be giving him or any other coach for that matter a raise right now. Especially when there's such uncertainty surrounding the status of a season taking place. We had a hard time getting students and fans out prior to the pandemic taking form here in the USA. I cannot imagine - especially given the number of season ticket holders who are older - what things will look like this year.

Will hopefully need to provide contingency plans for season ticket holders. Ex: allow season ticket holders to hold onto their seats after the 2020-2021 season even if they don't renew their season tickets for *this* season.

Even if you u have season ticket holders put down some sort of a down payment or deposit.

I don't envy those trying to make budgeting projections and so forth amidst this uncertainty. Not to mention the likely lack of buy-in games and such in which mid majors can garner revenue to help close the gap. Especially cumbersome for a private institution.

wh

The shortened MLB season is barely off the ground and already is dealing with infected players, cancelled games, etc. Short of finding a cure, IMO there's little reason to think football and basketball seasons aren't going to experience similar problems. Here's to hoping for a vaccine sooner rather than later.

VUGrad1314

Professional basketball is probably a little safer because it's in a bubble, but if players or staff violate that bubble (and they have) there are going to be problems. I just hope no players in any sport are around any positive cases or there will definitely be a halt to the season. Social distancing is IMPOSSIBLE in competitive team sports for those on the field of competition. And the idea of having high school or college students playing sports in this environment is sheer lunacy as there is no bubble and a high probability that they will interact with positive cases at some point somewhere.

humbleopinion

Quote from: GoldenCrusader87 on August 02, 2020, 11:42:24 AMWill hopefully need to provide contingency plans for season ticket holders. Ex: allow season ticket holders to hold onto their seats after the 2020-2021 season even if they don't renew their season tickets for *this* season.

Even if you u have season ticket holders put down some sort of a down payment or deposit.

I plan to buy my tickets this year, even though I know that the season may be limited or my attendance will be affected.  If there are no games, I will just consider it as a contribution. I have it in my annual budget, so I know that it will not drive me into poverty. I have enjoyed watching VU basketball so much over the years, it seems like a mild sacrifice to support the program.
Beamin' Beacons

bbtds

It's only about the cost of a trip for one person to St Louis in March. (season ticket)

VU2014

Lottich needs to go. It might be painful ripping off the band aid but it will allow for the healing to begin.

The question is really if Mark LaBarbera has the fortitude to accept it & set aside his personal relationships. Lottich was a mistake, but the cardinal sin would not being able to admit to it and take action to course correct an error.

6 seasons is PLENTY of time to evaluate a head coach's performance. This is no longer a small sample size. The man can recruit at solid level but doesn't have a coherent system or scheme.

I'm not calling for a mid-season firing but if Valpo has an out in his contract after the season, they NEED to take it.

Chairback

I'm surprised MLB didn't provide him with an experienced assistant coach who was a head coach before.  A mentor that could guide a young coach.

Just Sayin

Quote from: VU2014 on January 16, 2022, 01:05:16 PM
Lottich needs to go. It might be painful ripping off the band aid but it will allow for the healing to begin.

The question is really if Mark LaBarbera has the fortitude to accept it & set aside his personal relationships. Lottich was a mistake, but the cardinal sin would not being able to admit to it and take action to course correct an error.

6 seasons is PLENTY of time to evaluate a head coach's performance. This is no longer a small sample size. The man can recruit at solid level but doesn't have a coherent system or scheme.

I'm not calling for a mid-season firing but if Valpo has an out in his contract after the season, they NEED to take it.

Do it now! Associate head coach could be an interim hire.

VU2014

Quote from: Chairback on January 16, 2022, 02:35:03 PM
I'm surprised MLB didn't provide him with an experienced assistant coach who was a head coach before.  A mentor that could guide a young coach.

He did for his first season as head coach. They hired Chad Warner as a special assistant to the head coach who was there as sort of a HC "mentor". He then took a job a Flagler (Non-D1) who we played in the Pre-season and they beat us. Then eventually Matt Bowen was brought on as a special assistant and once Townsend stepped away, Bowen was promoted to assistant. Bowen was a head coach for 12 years (2 separate students) at the non-D1 level, of course he had a prior stint at Valpo as an assistant under Homer way back in day. Bowen is arguably our best recruiter right now. He and Townsend are the ones who began the heavy focus of recruiting Wisconsin/Minnesota region.

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 16, 2022, 02:37:09 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on January 16, 2022, 01:05:16 PM

Do it now! Associate head coach could be an interim hire.

Not sure I agree. It's not that I want Lottich to stay but it could fracture the Team internally for the remainder of this season.

Also just as importantly it's for recruiting the next head coach. The AD and Pres want it to appear as if they aren't rash or impulsive when trying to recruit the next head coach. It's a good look to make it appear that they gave the last HC every opportunity and it just didn't work out. Whoever is taking over next needs to know their bosses have their back. Especially at a smaller private institution like Valparaiso. Impulsive bosses don't instill confidence.

If we have an out at the end of the season we should take it. This is no longer, just fans being overly emotional. This is your premier program being run into the ground with nearly 6 seasons of data to back it up. He is paid to make difficult decisions and he needs to step up to the moment.

Just Sayin