• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Lottich's Contract

Started by NativeCheesehead, February 21, 2020, 08:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 16, 2022, 03:05:33 PM
Guess who made it to the Hot Seat Report.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

Interesting. I didn't even know about this site. I kind of doubt there is any insider info here. It's just speculation from outsiders.

Should he be on the hot seat? I think most on this forum would agree but if his bosses are content with mediocrity, he really isn't on any type of hot seat.

JD24

usc4valpo

Many of you thought it was right to extent The contract and give a raise.

VU2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 16, 2022, 04:22:07 PM
Many of you thought it was right to extent The contract and give a raise.

Hindsight is 20-20. Much of Lottich's successes or big wins have been due to great individual performances from players (JFL, Alec Peters, Kiser's Arch Madness run) & great effort on defense in select games and not any coherent system or scheme he put together to put players in a position to succeed.

NativeCheesehead

Kinda funny we have zero local media coverage yet even this barely known website knows Lottich is in trouble.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 16, 2022, 06:43:19 PM
Kinda funny we have zero local media coverage yet even this barely known website knows Lottich is in trouble.

Everything comes down to the contract extension that was signed after the March 2020 MVC run...

If the school locked him up for 4 years and no opt outs then we are stuck with Lottich until 2024. I bet there are only a handful of people inside the Athletics Department who know the terms of Lottich's deal.

We all need to understand there is a better chance of hell freezing over than the school paying the highest paid coach at the school to walk away and not work. Also Lottich won't resign and pass up the hundreds of thousands that is potentially owed to him. Let's hope there are non-financial opt-out clauses and that the leadership in charge clear eyed with where the state of the program is.

oklahomamick

agreed, its all about the contract at this point.  Finally the likes of WH, Vu72 and hopefully Tex, have realized the leader of the team is not very good.  Even if they have not come to terms, 95% of the people know, but it doesn't matter.  It's all about the contract. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpolaw

If VU didn't put something in Lottich's contract as an easy out in event things kept going south, then that is just utterly ridiculous and they should all be fired. I still hope Lottich is wildly successful and turns it around but many on this board saw this coming long ago.

usc4valpo

So if Valpo eats The contract, I guess it is around $600k to $700k over 2 years. At the grand scheme, that is not significant if we need to do the right thing.

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 16, 2022, 09:49:03 PM
agreed, its all about the contract at this point.  Finally the likes of WH, Vu72 and hopefully Tex, have realized the leader of the team is not very good.  Even if they have not come to terms, 95% of the people know, but it doesn't matter.  It's all about the contract. 

Well. after the last game I suggested to a couple of friends that Matt might want to check on Uhaul truck deals.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 17, 2022, 05:47:58 AM
So if Valpo eats The contract, I guess it is around $600k to $700k over 2 years. At the grand scheme, that is not significant if we need to do the right thing.
Honestly, the cost of buying out Lottich's contract and hiring a new coach who could be even more expensive would be a tough sell by Pres. Padilla and the Board to a faculty and staff that have experienced many laid off, so might view the move as somewhat significant.

usc4valpo

pal - I guess the $250M telethon was a kluge?

Also, there were programs not drawing students; thus necessary cuts were made. My daughter visited Valpo to major in Elementary Education and the program was just staying afloat. These days, spending $55K a year to major in el ed doesn't make sense, and enrollment was down, thus a cut, sad as it is and I hate to say it, probably made financial sense.

A $700K bite is not much these days in Div. 1 basketball, especially when going up in class in the MVC.

1600 fans at a game with apathy and no pep band and a downward spiral in the program may require an enema-like solution.

valpopal

usc: I don't disagree with any of your points. I am just offering an honest assessment of the pushback Padilla would likely face from most faculty based upon my observation of the current climate on campus.

mj

This article from July of 2021 lists the salaries of MVC coaches: https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/7765206002

We're already near the bottom of the conference in terms of salary. If we can't even afford that, then we need to reevaluate our commitment to basketball and the MVC.

Men's basketball
#* Porter Moser, Loyola — $1,096,244

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa — $900,000

* Brian Wardle, Bradley — $708,920

Dan Muller, Illinois State — $564,000

Bryan Mullins, Southern Illinois — $475,000

Dana Ford, Missouri State — $438,368

* Matt Lottich, Valparaiso — $346,334

@ Darian DeVries, Drake — $334,706

Josh Schertz, Indiana State — $300,000

% Walter McCarty, Evansville — $225,619
I believe that we will win.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on January 17, 2022, 11:25:33 AM
Honestly, the cost of buying out Lottich's contract and hiring a new coach who could be even more expensive would be a tough sell by Pres. Padilla and the Board to a faculty and staff that have experienced many laid off, so might view the move as somewhat significant.

Mid-Major Salaries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ziLelnv_vGFTOFHw2lDunCieg_YWqWFPeJUq1DYuAjc/edit#gid=0

Dated but gives a ball park number.
QuoteBradley   Missouri Valley   Brian Wardle   $681,886
Drake    Missouri Valley   Darian DeVries   
Evansville    Missouri Valley   Walter McCarty   
Illinois State    Missouri Valley   Dan Muller   $564,000
Indiana State    Missouri Valley   Greg Lansing   $219,000
Loyola (Chicago)    Missouri Valley   Porter Moser   
Missouri State    Missouri Valley   Dana Ford   $375,000
Northern Iowa    Missouri Valley   Ben Jacobson   $400,000
Southern Illinois    Missouri Valley   Bryan Mullins   $475,000
Valparaiso Crusaders   Missouri Valley   Matt Lottich   

valpopal

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 17, 2022, 01:18:25 PM

Mid-Major Salaries:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ziLelnv_vGFTOFHw2lDunCieg_YWqWFPeJUq1DYuAjc/edit#gid=0

QuoteBradley   Missouri Valley   Brian Wardle   $681,886
Drake    Missouri Valley   Darian DeVries   
Evansville    Missouri Valley   Walter McCarty   
Illinois State    Missouri Valley   Dan Muller   $564,000
Indiana State    Missouri Valley   Greg Lansing   $219,000
Loyola (Chicago)    Missouri Valley   Porter Moser   
Missouri State    Missouri Valley   Dana Ford   $375,000
Northern Iowa    Missouri Valley   Ben Jacobson   $400,000
Southern Illinois    Missouri Valley   Bryan Mullins   $475,000
Valparaiso Crusaders   Missouri Valley   Matt Lottich   
Where available, you need to add in contract bonus details as well. For instance, Ben Jacobson's base salary of $400,000 is increased by a $200,000 media fee, a $175,000 appearance fee, and a $125,000 longevity pay, which totals $900,000. Additionally, he has a guarantee that his salary will always be among the top 3 coaches in the conference. Moreover, if Valpo wants to hire from a list of coaches with successful track records, the numbers will be higher than Lottich's because of competition from other upper-conference schools. For instance, according to news reports, "Porter Moser will make $2.8 million in year one in his contract with the Sooners."

usc4valpo

and $900G in truck stop Waterloo will last a long way. You can buy alot of ham and Deere tractor parts with that kind of cash!

VU2014

Quote from: mj on January 17, 2022, 01:14:54 PM
This article from July of 2021 lists the salaries of MVC coaches: https://amp.news-leader.com/amp/7765206002

We're already near the bottom of the conference in terms of salary. If we can't even afford that, then we need to reevaluate our commitment to basketball and the MVC.

Men's basketball
#* Porter Moser, Loyola — $1,096,244

Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa — $900,000

* Brian Wardle, Bradley — $708,920

Dan Muller, Illinois State — $564,000

Bryan Mullins, Southern Illinois — $475,000

Dana Ford, Missouri State — $438,368

* Matt Lottich, Valparaiso — $346,334

@ Darian DeVries, Drake — $334,706

Josh Schertz, Indiana State — $300,000

% Walter McCarty, Evansville — $225,619

Looks to be old data. I'm imaging Lottich got a raise on the 2nd contract, which was signed in 2020. Lottich's original deal was signed when he was in the horizon league

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpopal on January 17, 2022, 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: Just Sayin on January 17, 2022, 01:18:25 PM

Mid-Major Salaries:

QuoteBradley   Missouri Valley   Brian Wardle   $681,886
Drake    Missouri Valley   Darian DeVries   
Evansville    Missouri Valley   Walter McCarty   
Illinois State    Missouri Valley   Dan Muller   $564,000
Indiana State    Missouri Valley   Greg Lansing   $219,000
Loyola (Chicago)    Missouri Valley   Porter Moser   
Missouri State    Missouri Valley   Dana Ford   $375,000
Northern Iowa    Missouri Valley   Ben Jacobson   $400,000
Southern Illinois    Missouri Valley   Bryan Mullins   $475,000
Valparaiso Crusaders   Missouri Valley   Matt Lottich   
Where available, you need to add in contract bonus details as well. For instance, Ben Jacobson's base salary of $400,000 is increased by a $200,000 media fee, a $175,000 appearance fee, and a $125,000 longevity pay, which totals $900,000. Additionally, he has a guarantee that his salary will always be among the top 3 coaches in the conference. Moreover, if Valpo wants to hire from a list of coaches with successful track records, the numbers will be higher than Lottich's because of competition from other upper-conference schools. For instance, according to news reports, "Porter Moser will make $2.8 million in year one in his contract with the Sooners."

Well then I guess we're screwed. Just give Lottich an extension and be grateful we don't have to pay more for a better coach. We are doomed to mediocrity and the die is cast. There is no way out.
Valpo, the Hotel California of the midwest.

David81

This thread prompted me to go back to the Union Street Hoops interview with President Padilla. He's a genuine sports fan and recognizes the value of a successful college sports program, at whatever level is appropriate for the school. I'm guessing that he's paying close attention to the performance of this men's basketball team. He's also a former university general counsel, meaning that he knows about personnel negotiations in sticky situations. If a coaching change is deemed necessary, it's possible he could find a way to make it happen without paying out the full contract.

VU2014

The ball is in your court Mark LaBarbera. You want to be good again? Do what needs to be done and find the right man to lead/coach the program.

https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1484917141900079105?s=21

VUGrad1314

Quote from: VU2014 on January 22, 2022, 12:22:08 PMThe ball is in your court Mark LaBarbera. You want to be good again? Do what needs to be done and find the right man to lead/coach the program. https://twitter.com/mattnorlander/status/1484917141900079105?s=21

Is it two years after this one still or just one? Of course there's still time in this season to turn things around but if we're still mediocre (maxing out around 5th) then maybe we do want to go in a different direction because we can definitely be better than that.

vok22

I just realized something...Lottich has been here 6 years. Of the two recruiting classes that he has had that have graduated from college so far, he has had exactly ONE player that he recruited stay with him all four years and graduate from Valpo their entire college career, John Kiser. That number will increase to TWO this year through three recruiting classes thanks to Brock Pappas. TWO, and not a single one who was recruited as a scholarship player. That is really all the evidence I need, regardless of the results on the court. It is obvious: players don't want to play for him, and perhaps that is why we see the carelessness and lack of effort from his players.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vok22 on February 04, 2022, 12:32:11 PMI just realized something...Lottich has been here 6 years. Of the two recruiting classes that he has had that have graduated from college so far, he has had exactly ONE player that he recruited stay with him all four years and graduate from Valpo, John Kiser. That number will increase to TWO this year through three recruiting classes thanks to Brock Pappas. TWO, and not a single one who was recruited as a scholarship player. That is really all the evidence I need, regardless of the results on the court. It is obvious: players don't want to play for him, and perhaps that is why we see the carelessness and lack of effort from his players.

That just makes it utterly baffling that he can get them here in the first place. Clearly he talks a much better game than he coaches. That or it's the rest of the Valpo experience (facilities etc) in which case we're in much deeper trouble. I hope it's just a Lottich issue because that's far more fixable.

Valpo89

Mileek McMillan played four years and graduated.