• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Womens Basketball 2020-2021

Started by VUGrad1314, May 21, 2020, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

I'll worry about the guys at 8:00. Meanwhile our girls will play Drake (NET 46) at 5:00 on ESPN 3. We are currently sitting as a 7 seed but even a split with the Bulldogs could in theory boost us to the 4'th spot. Should be some great basketball so tune them in.

valpotx

I can't remember the last time that I have been able to watch a Valpo Women's game on TV, outside of Streaming.  Valpo/Drake on whatever MC22 is.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

34-34 halftime. And I was wrong---in theory we could still finish as the 3 seed. No, it isn't going to happen but a 6, 5 or 4 seed would all be great!

I wish we had a mascot. Great timing on the execution of the Crusader. Really genius going into the tournament!

valpotx

Darn, we had a chance to win that one, but 5 turnovers on our first 6 possessions of the third quarter, effectively killed that possibility.  Let's get a split!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 05, 2021, 06:56:33 PM
Darn, we had a chance to win that one, but 5 turnovers on our first 6 possessions of the third quarter, effectively killed that possibility.  Let's get a split!

Include the Grace White missed FTs, missed 3's, missed bunnies, poor defense and it tells the whole story of the 3rd quarter.

justducky

77-67 loss but this is a team we could beat tomorrow or in the tournament.

justducky

Drake-- VU  tips at 3:00PM on ESPN 3. We still have a distant shot at the 5 seed and any kind of win would boost us past Loyola as the 6. That path would match us with ISUr or UNI but both the 6 and 7 seeds keep us on the same side of the bracket as Drake (which is good). We have split with both ISUr and UNI. The 7 seed likely gets us a game with Evansville

justducky

30-25 halftime lead. Our shooting is off but our defense is on. Drake with 17 turnovers? We are really active with hands and closing the passing and driving lanes.

Valpofamfan

I don't know if we've slightly changed our offensive system but the off ball movement doesn't look as dynamic tonight? Hope we can hit some late 3s and make any FT opportunities we get

valpotx

Absolute blown opportunity to get our first win against Drake.  Weinman was really, really bad on offense today. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

In both losses, our defenders played #43 too tight on the 3-point line.  She never wanted to take those shots.  She wants you to bite on her fake, so that she can drive and dish to #42.  We never adapted.

The only positive to come from this weekend, is even though we will be the #7 seed, we should beat Evansville.  This will setup a rematch with Drake, and we know that they aren't anything special, as they were in prior years. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Other than losing in overtime I really enjoyed watching this one. Drake isn't a top 50 team by accident. Plenty of opportunities for a win with a bit better execution.

justducky

Even with this loss we finished the regular season with a Valley 6'th best 114 NET ranking. We have that NET despite a 7-9 MVC and 11-12 overall record.  :o

I am not a strong advocate of replacing Lottich but my early take is that coach Evans and the girls will finish 2021-22 a minimum 35 NET points better than our guys! Heck, lets make it interesting and jump that to a 45 NET point spread. How about some debate and maybe a few suckers taking the bait.  ;)

If there are any Lottich die hards left now is your chance to step forward and speak up!!!!!

valpotx

Congrats to Shay and Carrie!  If you haven't seen the Women play this season, you should watch the MVC tourney!  Shay is an absolute stud on the court, and stands out against all teams that we compete.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/wbasketball/news/2020-21/20274/frederick-named-first-team-all-mvc-weinman-earns-honorable-mention-all-defensive-accolades/
"Don't mess with Texas"

bb33

I have never watched but looking forward to seeing them tonight.

justducky

Quote from: bb33 on March 11, 2021, 09:14:45 AM
I have never watched but looking forward to seeing them tonight.

Great, and the rest of you should tune in also! 7:30 tip tonight vs Evansville for the right to face #2 seed Drake at 5:00 PM Friday. Both games will be carried on ESPN+.

Attention! Warning! Danger! When you start watching our girls  cooperate and execute you may never stop. We now sit at 110 NET and a deep MVC tourney run would be much less of a shock than what our guys pulled off last year.

valpotx

They are off so far, and hopefully get their shots together.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu84v2

justducky

Shay Frederick looked almost like a normal human being tonight with only 14 points. She may need to wear her Wonder Woman cape tomorrow if we are going to get that upset over Drake to advance!

valpotx

Good to see a solid game from Weinman.  It was closer than I would have expected, but good to get a win!

On another note, if you are Evansville's coach, it is FT drills all offseason.  How do you go 4/15 from the line??
"Don't mess with Texas"

bb33

Great  to see the girls be successful. Love hearing the announcers giving Valpo creds. It's anyone's championship. Let's go  get Drake tonight!! 

Valpofamfan

Nice article by Paul on Shay Frederick

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valpos-shay-frederick-stands-tall-in-face-of-detractors/article_458da13e-3540-597a-a6ca-aeae6c38c133.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Did anyone else read it and notice the line about some of the men's players laughing at her and Ilysse Pitts during their visit? I'm really disappointed by that and hope it is not reflective of the guys we have on the roster now or the relationship between the men's and women's teams.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: Valpofamfan on March 12, 2021, 11:10:56 AMNice article by Paul on Shay Frederick https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valpos-shay-frederick-stands-tall-in-face-of-detractors/article_458da13e-3540-597a-a6ca-aeae6c38c133.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1 Did anyone else read it and notice the line about some of the men's players laughing at her and Ilysse Pitts during their visit? I'm really disappointed by that and hope it is not reflective of the guys we have on the roster now or the relationship between the men's and women's teams.

So even our men's program culture sucks now... Players on a crappy team that hasn't won anything or been relevant in years and therefore shouldn't be talking crap about anybody talking crap about other people... Great... Why are we keeping Lottich around again?

GoVU

Quarterfinals for Hoops in the Heartland tonight at 5pm! Get another shot at Drake. You know what they say about beating a team 3 times in one season...

justducky

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 12, 2021, 01:36:23 PM
Quote from: Valpofamfan on March 12, 2021, 11:10:56 AMNice article by Paul on Shay Frederick https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valpos-shay-frederick-stands-tall-in-face-of-detractors/article_458da13e-3540-597a-a6ca-aeae6c38c133.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1 Did anyone else read it and notice the line about some of the men's players laughing at her and Ilysse Pitts during their visit? I'm really disappointed by that and hope it is not reflective of the guys we have on the roster now or the relationship between the men's and women's teams.

So even our men's program culture sucks now... Players on a crappy team that hasn't won anything or been relevant in years and therefore shouldn't be talking crap about anybody talking crap about other people... Great... Why are we keeping Lottich around again?

This could have been only some crude but playfully meant flirtation, but if it helped her game I am glad she took offense.

First mention of Pitts in months. Her first game injury ended her season at 12 total minutes.  :'(  Hopefully she can return healthy next year and pick up where she left off. At 5' 7" both Shay and Ilysse are just a bit on the short side.  ;)