• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2020-2021

Started by VU2014, August 02, 2020, 08:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

I have no idea where we are on, or if we are even in "the cycle".  We have improved our record three straight years but if does appear that we will again "slip backward" this season.

It should be noted that we are in our fifth year in the Valley.  Imagine how Evansville or Illinois State feel after being in the Valley for a very long time.  Evansville, both men and women won a total of '0'games last year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2021, 08:12:21 AM
I have no idea where we are on, or if we are even in "the cycle".  We have improved our record three straight years but if does appear that we will again "slip backward" this season.

It should be noted that we are in our fifth year in the Valley.  Imagine how Evansville or Illinois State feel after being in the Valley for a very long time.  Evansville, both men and women won a total of '0'games last year.

Ever since Valpo entered the MVC, I have said our role model should be Loyola for accomplishments on the court and in facilities improvements. They also came from the Horizon League and are our closest comparison (regionally, academically, athletically) in the conference—although some might claim Drake as more similar, but look where they are in the rankings today with '0' losses going into today's game against VU—rather than those other teams. Loyola made it to the NCAA finals in its fifth MVC season. It is frustrating, to say the least, to see the advancements made by this apparent rival (not to mention the success in the past decade by our other former Horizon League rival in Indianapolis) while VU has seemed content to languish.

wh

So as not to get sidetracked, let me reiterate my point relative to MVC expansion. It is counterintuitive to think that adding Murray State and Belmont will somehow improve Valpo's prospects for becoming a top 2 or 3 program in the conference. As I said previously, no one can elevate Valpo's success but Valpo. No one can elevate Evansville's success but Evansville, etc. we face a huge challenge. We have to leapfrog several programs to get where we want to go. The last thing we need right now is to add more competitor programs to contend with.

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2021, 08:12:21 AM

It's only our fourth year in the MVC, not fifth.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: wh on February 06, 2021, 09:37:20 AMSo as not to get sidetracked, let me reiterate my point relative to MVC expansion. It is counterintuitive to think that adding Murray State and Belmont will somehow improve Valpo's prospects for becoming a top 2 or 3 program in the conference. As I said previously, no one can elevate Valpo's success but Valpo. No one can elevate Evansville's success but Evansville, etc. we face a huge challenge. We have to leapfrog several programs to get where we want to go. The last thing we need right now is to add more competitor programs to contend with.

If we're going to be mediocre we might as well be mediocre in a multibid league. I want to see us get to the top but if the appetite isn't there institutionally we should hope that the MVC brings in more programs that do have that hunger so that the league gets better and by extension we then make more money thanks to their success which might in turn help us get better albeit at a slower rate relative to the others but at a faster rate than we would have done ourselves. That's always been my stance. To your earlier point, Belmont is not a white horse. Murray State is not a white horse. South Dakota State is not a white horse. These are all programs that have proven to be more than good enough to be in the MVC and would elevate the entire profile of the league. Maybe getting our brains beaten in by a couple Johnny Come Latelys would finally wake Valpo up to do the things they should have been doing 25 years ago. Or maybe not. But at least the league would be stronger healthier and make more money for its members.

wh

If/when they allow fan attendance again, this looks like a fun halftime contest:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1118608751919202&id=147262525292598

vu84v2

Good article on Loyola and the MVC on 538. Valparaiso's win over Drake is mentioned and Ben Krikke is in the picture at the beginning of the article.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/remember-loyola-this-team-is-even-better-than-the-one-that-made-the-final-four/

oklahomamick

Loyola top 25 this week.  The Valley would have two top 25 teams if not for Drake's slip up in Valpo over the weekend.  Regardless, pretty good for the MVC. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vok22

I've seen enough of Sackey. If one of the freshmen PGs coming in aren't good enough to start over him from day 1 I'll actually be moderately discouraged. He legitimately could not win MVP of the Valpo High School Intramural League.

oklahomamick

Yeah Sackey struggling.  Valpo has always had good guards in comparison to the rest of the league.  Not having a good point guard might be the reason for all this. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

EVERY good team needs a good point guard.  As I have said many times on this board, Sackey is NOT the guy!  Our biggest problem this season is a lack of good, even decent, point guard play.  Our inconsistencies in this area are evidenced every game.  It is even more important with our young, developing  team.  Another good example of this problem is Indiana.  While their guards can often score, their lack of consistently good point guard play is also very evident.  At least they have some potential as they develop a freshman or two to fill the bill.  We need to do the same...develop someone .  I think this year we will just have to put up with the lack of good point guard play and hope it comes next year - and NOT Sackey.  Losing JFL was a tremendous loss and it becomes more and more evident as this season progresses.  Now let's forget the Bradley game and prepare to see some success again.  It will come, but so will some failures.  Coach needs to keep the guys together and play hard, hustling ball.  (and develop a good point guard)

wh

There is still a ton of basketball to be played and goals to shoot for. Valpo has 7 games left. Sweeps over UNI and SIU, a split with INSU, and a loss to Loyola would give us a 9-9 finish. In all probability we would leapfrog both Bradley and Evansville and grab the 5th seed for the tournament. That would give us our first top half finish, keep us out of Thursday for the first time, and give us a 6-3 2nd half conference finish. Keep building!

vok22

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2021, 02:13:55 PM
There is still a ton of basketball to be played and goals to shoot for. Valpo has 7 games left. Sweeps over UNI and SIU, a split with INSU, and a loss to Loyola would give us a 9-9 finish. In all probability we would leapfrog both Bradley and Evansville and grab the 5th seed for the tournament. That would give us our first top half finish, keep us out of Thursday for the first time, and give us a 6-3 2nd half conference finish. Keep building!

I think 9-9 is wishful thinking, but we definitely have a good shot at avoiding Thursday. Bradley still has Missouri State and Drake to play, along with a game against ISU, who they lost to. We have 2 bottom 3 teams, ISUb at home, and Loyola. There is a relatively large chance that if we win 3 out of those 7 games, we avoid Thursday.

JD24

Quote from: vok22 on February 10, 2021, 08:20:22 PMI've seen enough of Sackey. If one of the freshmen PGs coming in aren't good enough to start over him from day 1 I'll actually be moderately discouraged. He legitimately could not win MVP of the Valpo High School Intramural League.
The problem with Sackey is that he's a speed guy and speed has lesser influence on a players game the higher the platform of basketball. In fact, it can be a detriment at a point in which one guy is playing at breakneck speed while the other 9 guys on the floor are actually going about the business of playing basketball which I find is the case with Sackey too often. I have no desire to look, but I'd bet a good deal of his HS play was full of him dribbling down the court faster than everyone can run as opposed to playing in some level of structured offense.

Cassius Winston wasn't the fastest guy on the floor for MSU a few years ago but he knew how to control a game and put his teammates in the best position to succeed.

justducky

Quote from: vok22 on February 13, 2021, 02:42:37 PMI think 9-9 is wishful thinking, but we definitely have a good shot at avoiding Thursday

I'm thinking a 7 seed is likely and if that places us vs Drake in the second round then it might be ok. No way do I want to be on the same side of the bracket as Loyola.

I started the Bradley thread and we lost by 24.  :o All of you can do better than that so somebody needs to step up and get it going. After the Bradley showing a UNI split would tickle me to death!

vok22

It looks like it will probably boil down to us and Bradley for the last Thursday spot. Bradley just lost 3 starters and a key reserve for their series this weekend due to suspension. I'll take it

wh

Bradley is down 44-24 at halftime.

tjjvalpo

Bradley is getting clobbered today. Based on Bradley and Evansville's remaining schedule, Valpo could still end up in 5th place with an 8-10 record.

valpotx

oh yeah, I forgot that we have a basketball team...
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Loyola destroyed Drake 81-54. The MVC's hopes for 2 bids are fading fast.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2021, 02:13:55 PM

I believe "someone" hoped for and predicted a .500 conference record.

oklahomamick

So good chance we don't finish .500 with that lost last night. 

That will make us under .500 for 3 of 4 years in mvc.  With the lone year coming in right at .500.
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpofamfan

Great to see Sheldon supporting the women on Twitter. He seems to be embracing Valpo which hopefully bodes well for the future! Would love to see more camaraderie between the teams (although I also understand each team needs to be fully focussed on their own prep and games)

justducky

We are again the worst 3 point shooting team in the Valley finishing at .301%.  Our 3 freshmen collectively hit over half of our made 3 pointers going 93-246 for 37.8%. Last year in St Louis the ball frequently went to our seniors. This year even with Barrett out many of the big shots could be taken by rookies.

Will Edwards and Ognacevic match what Clay and Krikke contributed last March?

vu84v2

After last night, Jacob Ognacevic is fourth in the nation in three point shooting percentage at 51.7% (30 of 58).