• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Who uses the extra year and comes back?

Started by wh, February 09, 2021, 11:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUGrad1314

Quote from: vu72 on February 24, 2021, 01:07:46 PMEron has certainly improved his shooting from the 3 (now at 33.8%) but in general we are graduating three guys who aren't very good shots and bringing three guys who are lights out shooters and bring back a healthy Barrett who was hitting at 40% before his injury.  If Donovan can get his shooting back in order we could be playing a "five out" offense next year.

Which is what I believe Lottich has been trying to build all along so this will be the true test of his coaching acumen if he can finally achieve his desired offensive setup. If we can start playing five out next year then we can start knowing what we really have leading the program which will make future decisions easier.

wh

Every once in awhile I read a string of posts that remind me just how knowledgeable people on this board are. This is one of those moments.

valpotx

Someone can go back and try to find their HS stats, but I would have to believe that Eron was a 40%+ 3-point shooter in HS. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

I hope we start to shoot better because if we do our rebounding issues (which will remain an issue with a five out offense) will not matter nearly as much. Maybe this is what he means when he says "We just didn't make shots or take good shots." The rebounding issues aren't a reason we lose they're part and parcel of the design of the offense. If we have better shooters (and we are improving) we can win even while getting outrebounded by huge margins.

VU2014

I have no insider information but I'm a little nervous about transfers. The one I'm most concerned about is Clay. He had a great defensive season and was a big impact player for our team but he had a slightly disappointing offensive year and I think it was largely due to tough shooting. Donovan was at his best his freshman year when playing off of Javon who opened up driving lanes and defender slacked off him a bit more.

He has huge upside potential on offense next year. He just needs to have an offseason where he can make work on his jump shot and post moves. He didn't get to have that in the offseason this year.

If this core can stay together it will be special but I'm not going to lie, I'm nervous.

johnu1

Extra scholarship years will have a larger impact on football and baseball players than it will on a small roster like a basketball team. Look past the sport and across the horizon to places like the Big 10 where as many as 20 or 30 athletes are affected by the shortage of a full season.
For baseball players who didn't get a season at all in 2020, that was painful for their potential in the pro ranks.

VUFan2021

Are scholarship limits increased for next year to accommodate for the "in a sense" free COVID year in regard to eligibility? Does Valpo's current financial difficulties factor into who may be able to use the extra year? Has Valpo committed to the full amount of extra scholarships available next year?

valpo95

Quote from: VUFan2021 on March 15, 2021, 06:37:08 AM
Are scholarship limits increased for next year to accommodate for the "in a sense" free COVID year in regard to eligibility? Does Valpo's current financial difficulties factor into who may be able to use the extra year? Has Valpo committed to the full amount of extra scholarships available next year?

The actual financial impact on VU for a scholarship for a player for one year is vanishingly small. Most of the costs (like professors, administrators or support services) are the same with or without one student. At most universities, salaries are perhaps 3/4 of the expenses, and that doesn't change based on one student.

Consider it this way: Imagine that with one more student athlete, VU has enrollment of 3,001 undergraduate students. If that same athlete is not enrolled "on scholarship" and the enrollment declines to 3,000 students, what costs are cut for that year? 

Some of the costs that might change are if the student athlete gets university housing / food, and some team-related costs like travel, uniforms, etc.