• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Mascot

Started by crusader05, February 26, 2021, 10:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: vuny98 on March 08, 2021, 09:49:02 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 08, 2021, 02:47:38 AMBillikens?
I'm not saying that there aren't some crazy and unique names out there. Some of them, like Billikens are over 100 years old, so they are "accepted" now. But to try and rebrand a college mascot, in the age of social media, is a different thing than in 1910 giving the team a nickname and it sticking. Especially for a University that wants to considers itself elite. Again, just my opinion.

Plus lets be honest here, this is that statue at SLU of Billiken. How long do we give it until this is called racist and canceled?

Put that comment on the SLU message board and see how they respond. It would be worse than suggesting they join the MVC again.

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?/forum/101-billikenscom-main-board/

bbtds

I posted it as "If suddenly the SLU administration declared the Billiken offensive what new mascot would you pick?" and one of the responses I got was

"the day we become anything but a billiken i'm looking for a new alma mater."

crusader05

I do think that the one piece of info they dropped from the survey about most people identifying us as "Valpo" and how even Lottich stated incoming players didn't even know we were the crusaders means we can go for a fun or idiosyncratic mascot and not worry about it in regards to national recognitions.

Not every school is intrinsically linked to their mascot.I also think not worrying about that can take some pressure of it's replacement and honestly, you can incorporate the shield to most any mascot just by using it as a background and/or placing it anywhere on their costume.

wh

PAUL OREN: 5 nicknames Valparaiso should consider

https://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/paul-oren-5-nicknames-valparaiso-should-consider/article_c95b389d-2f7a-5709-8e0c-4aefc61d9a9a.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

As Paul said (or should have said) since there is no way to put the appeasement genie back in the bottle once 'ze' is out, we might as well make the best of it. Of his 5 suggestions, I like Golden Knights. I think the image really pops. Good job by the graphic designer on all the images.

Chitwood

Absolutely. Also, most schools have at least two logos. Purdue has the "P" and the train symbol. IU has the cursive script and the trident... It's totally reasonable to continue using the shield symbol even if the name changes to something different, whether that be the dunehawks or the Trailblazers or the golden guard. You can still have another logo. The shield can still stick around no matter the new name

soapyjeans

Paladins, as for Furman using it, so what?  How many teams use Rams, Saints, Bulldogs etc.  A Paladin is a religious warrior so Valpo could keep the knight. 

VU75

Are there any actual soft or hard target dates to pick a name?

VALPO LI

From what I read the committee has been chosen and by early May four mascot choices will be presented to the new University President.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_d3421e96-8b3a-11eb-9f8b-1bbc96c0de9c.html

When choosing a new mascot Valparaiso University Chapel Pastor James Wetzstein added "I think it should be uniting, fun." -which brings me to remind the committee that Valpo United can still be a contender as a new nickname for Valparaiso University ;)
Shine on Vu

valpo95

Quote from: VALPO LI on March 29, 2021, 11:27:46 AM
From what I read the committee has been chosen and by early May four mascot choices will be presented to the new University President.

http://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_d3421e96-8b3a-11eb-9f8b-1bbc96c0de9c.html

When choosing a new mascot Valparaiso University Chapel Pastor James Wetzstein added "I think it should be uniting, fun." -which brings me to remind the committee that Valpo United can still be a contender as a new nickname for Valparaiso University ;)

The other quote that stood out to me was from Mark LaBarbera:

"One of the things I'm hopeful for is that we'll be able to find a way to retain the shield, because I think the shield of character represents basically all of the things people felt were good about being a Crusader, all the positive pieces of it and then I think we need to find something that's fun and that people can get behind when they see the mascot or when the mascot is at games," LaBarbera said."

I'm especially pleased that he has emphasized the positive aspects of the prior mascot. Those were items that were foolishly missing from retirement announcement.

VUFan2021

Valpo Flames all the way! The Valpo Shield of Character already is prevalent within the community. The cost of changing to the Flames would be minimal.  I am aware that UIC also go by the Flames moniker, which is a drawback. If we are honest, could be a great time to change the color scheme of the Brown and Gold as there are not too many universities or pro teams with these colors, perhaps more money could be made from bookstore purchases with more traditional college colors.

vu72

Quote from: VUFan2021 on April 02, 2021, 10:32:40 AMould be a great time to change the color scheme of the Brown and Gold

Seriously, why would you want to change from the brown and gold?  Something more catchy like. say, blue and white?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUFan2021 on April 02, 2021, 10:32:40 AM
Valpo Flames all the way! The Valpo Shield of Character already is prevalent within the community. The cost of changing to the Flames would be minimal.  I am aware that UIC also go by the Flames moniker, which is a drawback. If we are honest, could be a great time to change the color scheme of the Brown and Gold as there are not too many universities or pro teams with these colors, perhaps more money could be made from bookstore purchases with more traditional college colors.
Please provide a list of other pro or college teams that use our colors. Other than Wyoming I am unaware of any.

Flames, please no.

JD24

The Mustangs of Southwestern Minnesota State is another.

IndyValpo

Quote from: JD24 on April 02, 2021, 08:58:30 PM
Looks like Valpo, Wyoming, SW Minn and Baldwin-Wallace are the only US colleges,  with no pro teams using our colors. Honestly I like that.

valpotx

I grew to love the brown and gold colors.  What is Lehigh?  Brown and something else
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on April 03, 2021, 12:56:38 AM
I grew to love the brown and gold colors.  What is Lehigh?  Brown and something else

I think it's Brown and White and use maroon as an accent color.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VALPO LI

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 02, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
Looks like Valpo, Wyoming, SW Minn and Baldwin-Wallace are the only US colleges,  with no pro teams using our colors. Honestly I like that.
Wyoming and Valpo I believe are the only Division I programs that share the same school colors.
Adelphi University in NY (DII), Baldwin Wallace in Ohio (DIII), Rowan University NJ (DIII) also share the same brown and gold colors.
Western Michigan University Broncos are brown and gold but the University refreshed their brand and introduced a metallic gold to their logo while phasing out the "yellow" gold similar to Valpo Football.  Southwest Minnesota State University also has a metallic gold with brown as their school colors.
Other Division I schools that share the brown are Lehigh (brown/white), St. Bonaventure (brown/white), Bowling Green (brown/orange) and Brown University (brown/white/cardinal).

And BTW the San Diego Padres sport the brown and gold uniforms!!!
Shine on Vu

IndyValpo

Quote from: VALPO LI on April 03, 2021, 09:56:02 AM
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 02, 2021, 09:56:36 PM
Wyoming and Valpo I believe are the only Division I programs that share the same school colors.
Adelphi University in NY (DII), Baldwin Wallace in Ohio (DIII), Rowan University NJ (DIII) also share the same brown and gold colors.
Western Michigan University Broncos are brown and gold but the University refreshed their brand and introduced a metallic gold to their logo while phasing out the "yellow" gold similar to Valpo Football.  Southwest Minnesota State University also has a metallic gold with brown as their school colors.
Other Division I schools that share the brown are Lehigh (brown/white), St. Bonaventure (brown/white), Bowling Green (brown/orange) and Brown University (brown/white/cardinal).

And BTW the San Diego Padres sport the brown and gold uniforms!!!

Good catch on the Padres, I forgot they went back to their original this year

crusadermoe

Yes, it's always been a logo wear dilemna.  Brown just doesn't work.  And without it you end up wearing all yellow/gold.  Very dark maroon seems logical. But design ain't m thing.

GoldenCrusader87

I can only imagine the ways in which — based on past precedent and the ways in which programs have been cut and a lack of facility improvements have been made to the existing ARC — Valpo will elect to go with the most cost-effective option.

Short of announcing a sponsorship from a major corporation, there's no way Valpo goes with new colors or anything radically different (mascot-wise) for cost-savings.

But, we can dream!

vu72

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 04, 2021, 11:47:25 AMBrown just doesn't work.

It doesn't?  The Brown jerseys for the basketball, football, baseball etc. all look great!

may know

Brown/Gold can work but you have do it Wyoming-style - which we've rarely done. Wear this year's brown jerseys for all road games and it would work.

valpo64

Love the brown and gold colors!

craftyrighthander

I'm less concerned about the uniforms, and more concerned the colors that show on TV and in person. My two cents (and that's all it's worth) is that gold needs to be the dominant color for fans.  Having gone to all four MVC tourney games in 2020, there's something about walking into an arena and seeing a section of fans with the same color.   There was no mistaking the Bradley fan base in red.  Same for Missouri State in maroon.  Maybe it's living in STL and going to Cards games for 50+ years in a "sea of red".   As a fan, you just know what to wear.  The Valpo fan base at the MVC had a hodge podge of brown, gold or no color at all.  Gold shows in the arena and on TV.  "Look at that sea of brown" has yet to roll off an announcer's tongue. 

Judging by the comments, I'm probably in the minority.  But I'd switch to black and gold or maroon and gold, and emphasize gold spirit wear.

VUSERF

To go along with the new mascot, I say we rebrand the ARC as the House of Drew.