• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

New Mascot

Started by crusader05, February 26, 2021, 10:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephtheria47

The Valparaiso Drews.

soapyjeans

Try counting how many schools use "rams" or "dogs"etc.  Also Golden Knights is already in use by high schools and Vegas team.  So Paladins would work as a Paladin is a knight (holding shield works too) as Furmans paladin is a knight on a horse.  Valpos Paladin could be current Knight holding shield. 

crusader05

I'm firmly in the "if you're going to change it than really change it" so no knights or paladins etc. you can incorporate the shield no matter what so let's really change it. I do also tend to prefer animal mascots in general or kind of unique ones.

IndyValpo

Quote from: soapyjeans on April 06, 2021, 08:28:45 AM
Try counting how many schools use "rams" or "dogs"etc.  Also Golden Knights is already in use by high schools and Vegas team.  So Paladins would work as a Paladin is a knight (holding shield works too) as Furmans paladin is a knight on a horse.  Valpos Paladin could be current Knight holding shield. 
You rule out Golden Knights then propose a name already in use in D1?

vu72

The Golden Knight or Paladin makes the most sense from a cost standpoint.  Basically what happened when Valpo switched from the Uhlen to the Crusader.  Same guy in armor.  It's the word Crusader that is the issue not a person in a helmet.  Keep it simple.  If we end up being the eagles, falcons or golden retrievers for that matter, it just comes across as lame.  Now, if we can come up with a mascot that ties into the many references  to light at the University now, then that is unique and worthwhile.  "In Thy Light We See Light"  The Beacon, The Lighter, The Torch etc.  Perhaps as has been suggested The Flames could be the answer or maybe Blaze, Flash or Flare?  Way above my pay grade.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bb33

The shield is staying, at least in the short run it will be a presence.  It is on the new baseball turf.  If it was going away, wouldn't they have NOT had it a part of the new field?   I have to say the timing of this change is very problematic.  Valpo had no money right now to be undergoing these changes and the expensive process it will require. Seems too much like a knee jerk reaction instead of a well thought out process. I don't think there are a lot of people who are willing to fund it either.

https://youtu.be/SXq3kLjOSC4

crusader05

I really don't think it will end up being as expensive just because the Crusader name and imagery had already been phased out so much. Also the term "retirement' of the crusader nickname seems to me to mean that they're not going try and do an intense scrubbing and will probably work to change it out over time in areas where it's painted places and such.

Maybe they'll use it to get those people who wanted the change to donate "you want the Crusader off the ARC floor faster than pony up"

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on April 06, 2021, 03:45:26 PM
The Golden Knight or Paladin makes the most sense from a cost standpoint.  Basically what happened when Valpo switched from the Uhlen to the Crusader.  Same guy in armor.  It's the word Crusader that is the issue not a person in a helmet.  Keep it simple.  If we end up being the eagles, falcons or golden retrievers for that matter, it just comes across as lame.  Now, if we can come up with a mascot that ties into the many references  to light at the University now, then that is unique and worthwhile.  "In Thy Light We See Light"  The Beacon, The Lighter, The Torch etc.  Perhaps as has been suggested The Flames could be the answer or maybe Blaze, Flash or Flare?  Way above my pay grade.
I have no idea what we end up with but some of our suggestions are priceless. Can you still buy a Bic Lighter, a perfect mascot.

I had no idea what a Paladin was so I learned something. I googled it and the first 25 or so hits are for a sci-fi on line shooter game. Perfect.

humbleopinion

I can't say that I favor Paladin as the new mascot, but I do associate it with Valpo basketball.  After VU games when I was a boy, I would run home and turn on the TV.  I remember Have Gun Will Travel being the show that would be on.  For you youngsters, the main character of the show was named Paladin; his calling card had the picture of a knight, but it was the knight from a chess set.
Beamin' Beacons

sliman

Have gun will travel reads the card of a man. Have gun will travel...Paladin! 

nkvu

Quote from: humbleopinion on April 06, 2021, 08:00:48 PM
I can't say that I favor Paladin as the new mascot, but I do associate it with Valpo basketball.  After VU games when I was a boy, I would run home and turn on the TV.  I remember Have Gun Will Travel being the show that would be on.  For you youngsters, the main character of the show was named Paladin; his calling card had the picture of a knight, but it was the knight from a chess set.

I had the holster and cap gun set when I was a kid which came with the calling cards. "A fast gun for higher in a savage land...a soldier of fortune was the man called...Paladin". 

rogerwilco

Quote from: elephtheria47 on April 06, 2021, 07:38:10 AMThe Valparaiso Drews.
The basketball team previously known as the Drewsaders.

Just Sayin

The Paladin Portals

Have Sneakers, Will Travel

Perfect!

mp91

Quote from: bb33 on April 06, 2021, 04:43:04 PM
The shield is staying, at least in the short run it will be a presence.  It is on the new baseball turf.  If it was going away, wouldn't they have NOT had it a part of the new field?   I have to say the timing of this change is very problematic.  Valpo had no money right now to be undergoing these changes and the expensive process it will require. Seems too much like a knee jerk reaction instead of a well thought out process. I don't think there are a lot of people who are willing to fund it either.

https://youtu.be/SXq3kLjOSC4

The shield can stay, even if the nickname is drastically different. Most schools have multiple logos already. If Alabama can be the Crimson Tide and have an elephant, Valpo can be the Voyagers/vultures/Lakers/whatever and still keep the shield logo.

talksalot

Too late to add to the list... but what about The Family?

vu72

In keeping with the Torch theme, what about "The Fire"?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VUFN2020

The actual name iof the type of shield in our logo is a Heater Shield.     

The Valpo Heaters.