• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

In-state non-conference matchups

Started by VALPO LI, April 22, 2021, 05:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What matchup within the state of Indiana would excite you the most and why?

Ball St.
1 (4.2%)
Butler
15 (62.5%)
Indiana
2 (8.3%)
IUPUI
1 (4.2%)
Notre Dame
4 (16.7%)
Purdue
1 (4.2%)
Purdue Fort Wanye
0 (0%)
Non DI
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

VALPO LI

As we sit in anticipation for Valpo's 2021 non-conference schedule to evolve I thought it would be fun to discuss the possibility of playing our in state rivals (if we even have any).
Shine on Vu

wh

It isn't likely to happen, but playing Notre Dame would excite me the most. Two big moments in Valpo bb history are tied to ND - the 1988 upset at the ARC and coming within an eyelash of beating them at the United Center.

valpo95

It would be good to play Butler again, though I suppose Butler would not want their current four game losing streak to Valpo to be extended.

valpo95

More broadly, a home and home (two games every year, one home and one away) across all eight schools would be great for the state. You could exclude IU/Purdue and IUPUI/FW from the rotation as those schools play during the conference season. Over time, it would grow into something like the Big 5 in Philadelphia. 

valpotx

Quote from: valpo95 on April 22, 2021, 07:58:34 AM
It would be good to play Butler again, though I suppose Butler would not want their current four game losing streak to Valpo to be extended.

To be fair to Buck Futler fans, they are probably no longer aware that they are on a 4 game losing streak to Valpo.  They are probably more focused on their overall win-loss record against us, since it has been 10 years from our last basketball game
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

I'd love to play any of Butler Notre Dame Purdue and Indiana

Butler for the rivalry

Notre Dame because it's close and there's the Catholic\Lutheran thing for extra spice

Purdue because they're close and there are a lot of alums here in the area

IU for the tradition of their program and also because there are a lot of alums in the area.

Of the realistic options however it's Ball State and it's not even close.

usc4valpo

An annual Valpo Buttmunch game would be beautiful

VALPO LI

I really enjoyed the Ball State games.  Over the last 15 seasons Valpo played Ball State 10 times and they are tied with 5 wins each.  I really hope this series can be picked up again.
Shine on Vu