• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MBB 2021-2022

Started by wh, June 25, 2021, 04:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

These rankings mean nothing.  They are garbage.  Even if we were ranked higher it's still garbage.

One thing about the MVC is anyone can beat anyone any given night.  Certainly when top teams play on the road. 

The quality of teams in the MVC this year is awesome and as fan you can really get excited about it.  Just think, we could be talking about the Horizon league still.

To me this season comes down to 1 thing, coaching.  We have really good players and we are going to play against tough teams. If we are prepared and coached well we will win.  If not, we will finish 7th. 

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bb33 on October 20, 2021, 10:25:44 AMSIU could be really good this year, with all five starters returning so I am hesitant to say falling behind them is a failure.  I am hopefully for a top five finish, but without seeing the team first hand, and how good the other teams turn out to be,  it is hard to gauge where we should realistic be. The non conference games should reveal a lot.  (But then again, Evansville  beat Kentucky and then goose egged the Valley.)   Looking forward to the season and cheering on this team.  One thing is for sure, I will do my part at the games I can attend.

I don't put a lot of stock in that Evansville argument. That entire program got thrown into chaos shortly after that Kentucky win. That was the reason for the goose egg not the talent on the roster. Speaking of Evansville they are in a pretty similar boat to SIU. Lots of returning starters and production and much more stability under a good coach in Lickliter. I expect them to be pretty good. Probably somewhere in the 5-7 range with us and SIU but they will be solid and a tough matchup for whoever plays them. This should be a great year for Valley basketball. As always, no easy wins and every matchup is interesting. I do agree that Bradley is being a bit overrated but I think that is out of respect for what Wardle has accomplished recently. Wouldn't be surprised to see them a Thursday team though which shouldn't carry the stigma it usually does this year because of the quality of the league. There's going to be at least one team playing on Thursday that is going to be no fun for that top two seed to deal with on Friday.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: bb33 on October 20, 2021, 10:43:46 AMTo put it all in perspective, MSU was picked picked first in 2017-18 and 2019-20, yet they finished 7th and 6th.  These polls mean nothing.  No one knows what our team is going to look like.  I also think the top four teams' fan bases feel this is their year,  best rosters ever, etc.  I see a lot of disappointment this year.  Only one can be on top.

There won't be much disappointment if the MVC is pulling 2-3 bids and an NIT bid like many fans believe is possible for this league this year. The talent and depth in this league is insane. Like I said there is going to be at least one if not two Thursday teams that are going to end up being an absolute headache for the top seeds on Friday. This league is deep strong and good this year and only getting better! I love this league and this is an exciting time to be a fan of any MVC team!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

AB

The roster we have cobbled together looks very promising with the mix of vets and Frosh. 3-5 finish is not out of the question. Lottich says the right stuff but the proof is in the pudding with wins and losses.

VUGrad1314

Okay so just so we're clear we're no longer a "young team" anymore right Matt? That excuse is gone this year right? Good Then I don't want to hear it in a single postgame press conference. I just hope we can actually score consistently for the first time in years. No more flat starts and long droughts and having to fight back from 15 down.

tjjvalpo

My question is what will be Matt's basis for awarding minutes. For me he has always been more offense minded and a result his lost players because he hasn't held everyone to same standard. All these players were the top  1 or. 2 players on there high school teams and scored. At the college level, it should be about defense first. That is a simple and straight forward metric to have. If he ever instills that in his players, he may have something, if not I don't think he will ever have the success that we are hoping for.

wh

SanityLost17

I'm going to show my expectations with the following statement.... 

Zion Morgan was a fairly large part of our team last year and we finished 5th.    Love the hustle/determination from Zion, but he was not an MVC player.   He was might not have been a Horizon league player.   

My biggest worry is we are going to have some very good basketball players that don't get to play much or at all.   We are not the only team with this problem though.  Talent is stacked accross the country because of the extra COVID year.    We are not alone in that problem.   So on average, all of college basketball is going to be a better product this year, not just us.   Communication is going to have to be strong to keep players happy.   

usc4valpo

I think we are really going to find out how good a coach Lottich is this year.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on October 22, 2021, 10:12:57 AMI think we are really going to find out how good a coach Lottich is this year.

If he can't make it work with this group I think he needs to go. We can't let him go through another cycle of recruits if we continue to be mediocre these next couple years. We would need to find a new leader to hopefully bring the program up to where it needs to be at or near the top of the MVC year in year out.

wh

Quote from: SanityLost17 on October 22, 2021, 09:12:51 AM
I'm going to show my expectations with the following statement.... 

Zion Morgan was a fairly large part of our team last year and we finished 5th.    Love the hustle/determination from Zion, but he was not an MVC player.   He was might not have been a Horizon league player.   

My biggest worry is we are going to have some very good basketball players that don't get to play much or at all.   We are not the only team with this problem though.  Talent is stacked accross the country because of the extra COVID year.    We are not alone in that problem.   So on average, all of college basketball is going to be a better product this year, not just us.   Communication is going to have to be strong to keep players happy.   

You make a number of important points. Let me build on one, if I may - "all of college bb is going to be a better product this year." Most teams in the MVC are returning better 5th year players than we are. In fact, 2 or 3 teams are absolutely stacked because of it. What Matt has done to offset that advantage is bring in a better core of players through the portal than anyone else, hands down. He also recruited the best freshman class, hands down. In fact, it's even better than anyone thought now that we know how impressive Darius is. In the short term, out recruiting the league has helped us to pass the weaker programs and move much closer to the quality level of the top 3 or 4 teams. In the longer term, some of this year's loaded teams are going to be next year's also-runs, whereas we have a strong possibility of having a stacked lineup. Theoretically, and optimistically, we could be in the driver's seat in the MVC next year. Once we turn the corner, anything can happen from there. We went from rags to owning the Mid Con. We went from rags to owning the Horizon League. We have a success story that extends over decades. Only a fool would think we can't do it again - with or without facilities, with or without the Drew's.

Chairback

I'm sure this has been posted so sorry for asking this question again, does Kobe King have eligibility for next year too or just this season?

wh

Quote from: Chairback on October 22, 2021, 03:17:27 PM
I'm sure this has been posted so sorry for asking this question again, does Kobe King have eligibility for next year too or just this season?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-lands-former-wisconsin-starter-kobe-king-who-received-ncaa-waiver-to-play/article_9edf1b23-ef67-5202-9dc9-9bad53686b52.amp.html

"King believes that he'll have to miss "nine or 10 games" at the start of the 2021-22 season and that he'll also have a medical redshirt year to use following a knee injury that cut his freshman season short in 2017-18. All told, King should have two years of eligibility for Valparaiso."

Corohan2

how good is Darius Deaveiro? old freshman but canada international?

exp with FIBA could be big.

wh

Quote from: Corohan2 on October 24, 2021, 05:35:49 AM
how good is Darius Deaveiro? old freshman but canada international?

exp with FIBA could be big.

I don't think anyone knows, but the fact that Matt singled him out for praise in last week's press conference has me highly curious. I rewatched one of his videos from 2 years ago. His court awareness and passing skills were well beyond anything you would expect to see at that level. His teammates had better keep their heads on a swivel, especially our bigger, less athletic (dare I say white) players.

In this defensive-minded league, everyone will be looking for tendencies and weaknesses to exploit. If he can't shoot the 3 at the 30% level minimum, teams will slough way off and clog up the middle. That stops penetration and clogs up the passing lanes. Last year they dared Daniel Sackey to take wide open 3's, which rendered him pretty ineffective at times, and resulted in some painfully long dry spells. Another guy in that same quandary was Donovan Clay.

JD24

Quote from: wh on October 24, 2021, 09:59:00 AM
Quote from: Corohan2 on October 24, 2021, 05:35:49 AMhow good is Darius Deaveiro? old freshman but canada international? exp with FIBA could be big.
I don't think anyone knows, but the fact that Matt singled him out for praise in last week's press conference has me highly curious. I rewatched one of his videos from 2 years ago. His court awareness and passing skills were well beyond anything you would expect to see at that level. His teammates had better keep their heads on a swivel, especially our bigger, less athletic (dare I say white) players. In this defensive-minded league, everyone will be looking for tendencies and weaknesses to exploit. If he can't shoot the 3 at the 30% level minimum, teams will sluff way off and clog up the middle. That stops penetration and clogs up the passing lanes. Last year they dared Daniel Sackey to take wide open 3's, which rendered him pretty ineffective at times, and resulted in some painfully long dry spells. Another guy in that same quandary was Donovan Clay.
Not to overly pick on the guy but Sackey also didn't do what he was supposed to do well which was direct the team in a competent manner. He was playing at 100 mph when unnecessary. If Darius has trouble shooting but can direct the team without allowing the opponent to go on a 10 point run because of a series of mistakes by the PG, he'll be an asset.

vu72

Quote from: JD24 on October 24, 2021, 02:10:02 PM
Quote from: wh on October 24, 2021, 09:59:00 AM
Quote from: Corohan2 on October 24, 2021, 05:35:49 AMhow good is Darius Deaveiro? old freshman but canada international? exp with FIBA could be big.
I don't think anyone knows, but the fact that Matt singled him out for praise in last week's press conference has me highly curious. I rewatched one of his videos from 2 years ago. His court awareness and passing skills were well beyond anything you would expect to see at that level. His teammates had better keep their heads on a swivel, especially our bigger, less athletic (dare I say white) players. In this defensive-minded league, everyone will be looking for tendencies and weaknesses to exploit. If he can't shoot the 3 at the 30% level minimum, teams will sluff way off and clog up the middle. That stops penetration and clogs up the passing lanes. Last year they dared Daniel Sackey to take wide open 3's, which rendered him pretty ineffective at times, and resulted in some painfully long dry spells. Another guy in that same quandary was Donovan Clay.
Not to overly pick on the guy but Sackey also didn't do what he was supposed to do well which was direct the team in a competent manner. He was playing at 100 mph when unnecessary. If Darius has trouble shooting but can direct the team without allowing the opponent to go on a 10 point run because of a series of mistakes by the PG, he'll be an asset.

[/b]

This, from his bio:  (I don't think he will have trouble shooting!)

Member of the 2015-2016 Canada Basketball Junior Academy... Averaged 7.2 points and 5.4 assists while shooting 41.9 percent from the 3-point line for Orangeville Prep last season...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Valpo vs Stanford will be on the PAC 12 network. I wonder who will provide commentary for that game.

wh

DAVID DEAVEIRO READY TO WRITE THE NEXT CHAPTER OF RYERSON MEN'S BASKETBALL

https://theeyeopener.com/2020/09/david-deaveiro-ready-to-write-the-next-chapter-of-ryerson-mens-basketball/

Darius' dad is a highly successful coach and sounds even more impressive personally.

VU2014

This would actually be a pretty good idea for Valpo Basketball to try out. Engaging Greek Life is important.

Maybe host an outdoor cookout for the Fraternity/Sororities at the outdoor basketball courts near the old law school and have the Greeks challenge the Basketball Team to a game of PIG or Horse. They can meet the team and socialize outdoors (low covid transmission possibility).

https://twitter.com/ou_mbball/status/1452718005151019008?s=21

vu84v2

The most significant way to build enthusiasm around the team/program is to win, but beyond that it is hundreds of little things like the great suggestion made by VU2014.

bb33

He is so excited about this opportunity at OU you can't help but wish him the best.  We need that excitement at Valpo.  It starts with each of us.  Excitement feeds excitement.

vu72