• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Week 2 @ North Dakota State

Started by valpofb16, September 05, 2021, 08:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 10, 2021, 07:26:00 AMIf running is going to be our bread and butter need to hope IWU's defensive front is better than most of the PFL
Maybe I should have phrased it as "Robert Washington is Valpo's bread and butter". Last year I don't think the offense did much of anything at any point when he wasn't in there. AND....I hope they hold him out so the season isn't over before it really begins.

usc4valpo

Also be aware that the spring football season really had any meaning or significance other than they got the teams out there to play.

usc4valpo

Game day at Fargo baby! If Valpo avoids the wood chipper, all will be well.

https://www.fargomoorhead.org/what-to-do/the-woodchipper-in-fargo/

usc4valpo

For those making the trip to Fargo, I recommend this excellent downtown place to dine. Very cool.

https://www.vinyltacofargo.com/

justducky

Even thinking about watching this game is causing me pain and distress. Ouch  :'(

valpofb16

To expect a win or for the score to be within 28 points is unrealistic. This is the Alabama of FCS.

However , starting Nimz both weeks and taking him out immediately for Berry and Kaplan is puzzling to me. Just start the QB you're going to play?

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 11, 2021, 03:16:15 PMTo expect a win or for the score to be within 28 points is unrealistic. This is the Alabama of FCS. However , starting Nimz both weeks and taking him out immediately for Berry and Kaplan is puzzling to me. Just start the QB you're going to play?
You said this last week as well and I thought I mis read the comment. Nimz didn't start last week. Berry did. The only time Nimz went in the game was when Berry was asked to leave by an official after he took a hard shot and I think they were making sure he had no concussion issues. Nimz played a couple of plays and was out.

edit: Nimz played 2 series today before Kaplan came in.

I haven't seen much of the game but I noticed something this week that I noticed last week. WR #12 Bingham has caught a pass in each game near the sidelines and stepped out of bounds with what appears to be room to run. Much more egregious last week but there's a reputation in there that he doesn't want to get.

valpofb16

Nimz 100% started IWU. Have watched both games but that's moot.

Some noticeable omissions this game. Hard to really take much from it.

Noticed several more freshman worked in this week. Might be recruiting promises.

No Orekoya or Peifer. Contreras got drilled on a punt return.

We will know more about this team once PFL season starts. IWU was a mishap. This was a scheduling mishap.

NDSU is in a different league than North Dakota, Montana, Sacred Heart, Western Illinois, all of which have shown they are in different league than Valpo

Protect the kids

usc4valpo

Valpo played this game for the big paycheck and is required for the program.

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 11, 2021, 05:57:22 PM
Valpo played this game for the big paycheck and is required for the program.

I think that's correct.  The story goes "the kids want to play these games". The reality is "the program needs the money".  It's like the freshman desperately wanting to play the varsity to see how they measure up when in reality the know they are out weighed and out skilled and are going to get their a$$es handed to them. 

The program picked up $240,000 and hopefully we didn't lose any others for the season.  Heck, IWU was hard enough on us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 11, 2021, 05:28:24 PMNimz 100% started IWU. Have watched both games but that's moot. 
Its not moot because you're criticizing the staff for something that absolutely didn't happen. Go to ESPN3 and watch the replay of the IWU game. It's on the video and you can check the play by play of the game as well.

Berry started that game. You couldn't be more defiantly wrong if you tried.  Plus...if you re watch that game you'll see the point at which Berry goes out for a few plays and Nimz comes in...because of potentially injury.

If you want to dismiss the point because you can't be bothered to check yourself go right ahead.

bbtds

Quote from: JD24 on September 12, 2021, 12:08:09 AM
Quote from: valpofb16 on September 11, 2021, 05:28:24 PMNimz 100% started IWU. Have watched both games but that's moot. 
Its not moot because you're criticizing the staff for something that absolutely didn't happen. Go to ESPN3 and watch the replay of the IWU game. It's on the video and you can check the play by play of the game as well.

Berry started that game. You couldn't be more defiantly wrong if you tried.  Plus...if you re watch that game you'll see the point at which Berry goes out for a few plays and Nimz comes in...because of potentially injury.

If you want to dismiss the point because you can't be bothered to check yourself go right ahead.

JD24 is correct. I saw the start of the Indiana Wesleyan game and Berry did start at quarterback.

https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/football/stats/2021/valparaiso-university/boxscore/9576

See the play-by-play and see that Berry throws the first Valpo pass on the third play of the game.

3rd and 7 at VALPARAI19   BERRY pass incomplete to WASHINGTON.

valpofb16

You both are right my apologies. Thought they pulled Ben early. Appears Berry did not make trip to NDSU.

vu72

Sounds like IWU bat us up worse than NDSU.  Wow!  Glad we have some depth or it could be a very long season==and it already is getting kinda "long"  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

When will Valpo win their first game?

valpofb16

Dartmouth-Longshot
At Drake- Possible yet Longshot
Marist- could be favored most likely will be 0-4 heading in
At St. Thomas- see prior week

Most likely first win comes week 4 or 5

usc4valpo

The Tommies will destroy the Beacos. They were a D3 powerhouse.

JD24

Quote from: valpofb16 on September 12, 2021, 07:57:41 AMYou both are right my apologies. Thought they pulled Ben early. Appears Berry did not make trip to NDSU.
The broadcast said he was injured in the first game.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 12, 2021, 01:36:52 PMThe Tommies will destroy the Beacos. They were a D3 powerhouse.
St. Thomas may beat Valpo but they also may not be the dominant force they have been. They really struggled vs. Michigan Tech yesterday.

usc4valpo

St. Thomas beat a D2 school that has scholarships. And we complain that NAIA schools have an advantage over us because NAIA schools have scholarships! Let's try to be consistent with our assessments gang.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on September 12, 2021, 06:48:02 PMSt. Thomas beat a D2 school that has scholarships. And we complain that NAIA schools have an advantage over us because NAIA schools have scholarships! Let's try to be consistent with our assessments gang.
I'm being perfectly consistent. I don't think I've ever mentioned the scholarship issue.

I can't find an instance in which St. Thomas played up a division... at least recently. So it's possible the Mich. Tech game was their first Div. II game. They play Northern Iowa this week.

usc4valpo

JD24 - I was not inferring to you specially, but there are some complaining on the board that Valpo can't compete against D2 or NAIA schools because those scholols provide athletic scholarship funding.

St. Thomas defeated a D2 team on the road. Valpo will struggle with the Tommies.

vu72

We may have "done better" than we thought.  We were down 43-0 at half to #4 North Dakota State, but, Dayton is currently down 38-0 at half to #8 SIU.  They have given up 430 some yards in the half. SIU has already played some 2nd and third string guys.

usc4valpo

Not a good comparison vu72. At the end team from the Pioneer are getting blown out. Valpo needs to learn and execute winning in their conference. This has been going on for too long and the excuses are getting stale. It is time to win, we should have no reason not to compete.

JD24

There hasn't been a PFL game played to this point. I don't think there's a program in the league that thus far has looked good including the likes of San Diego which, if they don't win vs. more highly rated FCS programs, is usually competitive which they have not been.

I guess we'll start to see next week.