• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Meaningless But Fun To Read

Started by Just Sayin, October 14, 2021, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

Quote from: wh on October 23, 2021, 11:39:00 AM
President Padilla's vision is to differentiate Valpo from myriad other private academic institutions with the same secular world view. One element  of that is a shift toward embracing its Lutheran roots. It's called unique positioning. The name change supports the shift. It would be an appropriate step under any circumstance, but the fact that he took a highly divisive act by a group of nefarious actors and used it as opportunity to effect positive change is brilliant.

I think you are giving him way too much credit for caving to the mob and thinking by doing so it provided a perfect opportunity for doing something he probably would have done without the change-in-name fiasco.

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 23, 2021, 12:05:25 PM
President Padilla's vision is to differentiate Valpo from myriad other private academic institutions with the same secular world view. One element  of that is a shift toward embracing its Lutheran roots. It's called unique positioning. The name change supports the shift. It would be an appropriate step under any circumstance, but the fact that he took a highly divisive act by a group of nefarious actors and used it as opportunity to effect positive change is brilliant.

I think you are giving him way too much credit for caving to the mob and thinking by doing so it provided a perfect opportunity for doing something he probably would have done without the change-in-name fiasco.

He didn't cave to the mob. The interim did. He inherited a mess to cleanup. He was given 4 names from which to choose by the name selection committee. The easiest thing he could have done is choose some generic nickname that had no meaning or significance - like Reds or Bulldogs. Instead, he selected what was probably the one name with substance and tied it to his cornerstone for change. Again, brilliant. And, when I say brilliant, I mean within the context of wise leadership. There are a lot of smart people, but those with the wisdom and discernment to successfully lead people and complex processes at a high level are few and far between. Valpo hasn't had anyone at that level for decades - until now, IMHO. The future is bright.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on October 23, 2021, 12:35:10 PM
He didn't cave to the mob. The interim did. He inherited a mess to cleanup.
I will await results in the next year or so before coming to a decision about Padilla's leadership. However, I can assure you he didn't "inherit a mess" caused by "the interim." Padilla was selected in November 2020 and announced as the new president on Dec 2. Within a week he made his presence felt on campus and released a video address to the community. The decision to drop the Crusader was clearly made in consultation with Padilla and upon his approval, since he fully agreed with the move. The announcement by Irwin-Knott was made only two weeks before Padilla assumed his position on March 1, which benefited him by not having to start his term with an announcement of such a very unpopular decision among alums, and in the public statement it clarified he would lead the process to a new name, a process he had to endorse in advance. It would have been irresponsible and unethical for the interim to make such a controversial decision and set in motion a process involving Padilla's participation without the blessing of the incoming president, especially so close to his officially taking the reins. 

wh

The longstanding effort to get rid of the Crusader bubbled over and blew up under the interim, long before Padilla was announced as the new president. In fact, the nefarious actors moved when they did knowing the university was in a highly vulnerable position with an interim president, severely declining enrollment, and bleeding cash. They knew the last thing the university needed were accusations from the national media that it was systemically Islamophobic, racist, or whatever else that rises from the abyss.

The Board and interim made the decision to change the name. Had Padilla not agreed to make the change, he would not be President today. So, to be perfectly clear, the board and interim did not take their queue from Padilla; he took his queue from them. That said, regardless of who took their queue from whom, President Padilla inherited a needless, self-inflicted, highly divisive mess to clean up at the worst possible time. Tying the new name to strategic realignment is his best effort to make the best of a bad situation caused by a group of terrible employees who put their own petty agenda over the best interests of their employer, one of America's great academic institutions.

Just Sayin

He didn't cave to the mob. The interim did. He inherited a mess to cleanup. He was given 4 names from which to choose by the name selection committee. The easiest thing he could have done is choose some generic nickname that had no meaning or significance - like Reds or Bulldogs. Instead, he selected what was probably the one name with substance and tied it to his cornerstone for change. Aigain, brilliant. And, when I say brilliant, I mean within the context of wise leadership. There are a lot of smart people, but those with the wisdom and discernment to successfully lead people and complex processes at a high level are few and far between. Valpo hasn't had anyone at that level for decades - until now, IMHO. The future is bright.

:crazy:

wh

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 23, 2021, 04:47:39 PM

He didn't cave to the mob. The interim did. He inherited a mess to cleanup. He was given 4 names from which to choose by the name selection committee. The easiest thing he could have done is choose some generic nickname that had no meaning or significance - like Reds or Bulldogs. Instead, he selected what was probably the one name with substance and tied it to his cornerstone for change. Aigain, brilliant. And, when I say brilliant, I mean within the context of wise leadership. There are a lot of smart people, but those with the wisdom and discernment to successfully lead people and complex processes at a high level are few and far between. Valpo hasn't had anyone at that level for decades - until now, IMHO. The future is bright.

Use your words, my patriotic friend. I'm not a mind reader.  ;)

justducky

Quote from: Just Sayin on October 23, 2021, 04:47:39 PM

That last crusade was fought and we lost. Looking for a villain achieves nothing. Go Beacons!

vu84v2

The following is from a report in the Torch in April. The excerpt is from a larger story regarding President Padilla meeting with the Student Senate.

----------------------------

The main topic of discussion centered around the senate's recent ruling on YAF (Young Americans for Freedom). The conservative political group applied for recognition as a student organization and was voted down on the floor. Student Body President Kaitlyn Steinhiser vetoed this ruling, allowing the group to be recognized. 

This decision has served as a point of contention. A petition was formed by students prior to the ruling labeling YAF as a hateful group that was discriminatory against LGBTQ students. Supporters of the group argue that YAF has a right to meet on campus and to not approve the group would be an act of discrimination itself.

In his address to the senate, Padilla praised President Steinhiser's decision.

"You've had some fights, lately? Why if I'm gonna be honest with you, I agree with the decision she made. I vehemently disagree with their underlying principles," Padilla said.

-------------------------------

The university is likely to (and should) increase its relationship building and recruiting with Lutheran high schools. But if you think that the university, under President Padilla's leadership, is going to move to a unique positioning focused on conservatism and christianity as the only accepted faith - you are likely to be seriously disappointed given that the President vehemently disagrees with the underlying principles of an organization like YAF (he was right to support the Student Senate President's veto).

I was not thrilled with the choice of Beacons, but I do agree that it can have a range of positive meanings.

Just Sayin

QuoteHe [Padilla] served on Mayor Lori Lightfoot's transition team, leading a committee of lawyers reviewing the Federal Civil Rights Litigation division of the city's Law Department.
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/awards/jose-padilla

He's a lefty. Sad to see.

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on October 23, 2021, 11:35:27 PM
The university is likely to (and should) increase its relationship building and recruiting with Lutheran high schools. But if you think that the university, under President Padilla's leadership, is going to move to a unique positioning focused on conservatism and christianity as the only accepted faith - you are likely to be seriously disappointed...

Yep, that's what I said alright. You are amazing at reading between the lines.