• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo at UNI Jan 5 @ 8pm

Started by humbleopinion, January 05, 2022, 07:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

If I was coaching, I would go into the locker room, say 'what the F*CK was that?'  I would then walk out and let them talk to each other.  That wasn't Lottich, that was all the players.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

We went 20 minutes doing the same thing over and over and over on offense and  Defense. Not one change has been made other than subbing different combinations in and out. No game plan. Wow

VUSERF

Typical Lottich. Not skilled enough to make in-game adjustments.

Sadly, I actually really like the gray uniforms. I swear though each time we wear them we play terribly.

valpopal

Turnovers in the first half: 13! UNI leads in points off turnover 20-2 and points in the paint 22-2! I reasonably expected a loss to UNI on their court, and I guess the score doesn't really matter. 

valpotx

What could a coach do, when EVERYONE on the team, is making bone-headed passes, dribbles/drives, and missing defensive assignments?  That is allllll on the players.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpotx on January 05, 2022, 08:54:20 PMWhat could a coach do, when EVERYONE on the team, is making bone-headed passes, dribbles/drives, and missing defensive assignments?  That is allllll on the players.

But isn't the disturbing lack of readiness on the part of the players kind of on the coach? He's supposed to have them ready to play on game day and he didn't tonight.

mj

Quote from: valpotx on January 05, 2022, 08:54:20 PMWhat could a coach do, when EVERYONE on the team, is making bone-headed passes, dribbles/drives, and missing defensive assignments?  That is allllll on the players.

Veteran players at that.
I believe that we will win.

NativeCheesehead

I'll sending the athletic department a bill for the extra beer I'm drinking tonight.

4throwfan

In trying to think of something positive to say, I can honestly say that this team is very well balanced - they're absolutely terrible in every facet.  It's hard to pick whether the offense or defense is more terrible than the other, since both are repugnant.

justducky

Did Matt accidentally use the unwrinkled Prairie View game plan by mistake?

VUGrad1314

Leave it to Lottich to spoil what should be a great day of celebration by gifting us with yet another clunker... Sigh... How much longer is left in this era?

IndyEIT777

Quote from: mj on January 05, 2022, 08:59:12 PM

Veteran players at that.

If everyone on the team is playing this bad, it certainly points to ill preparedness by the coach. If the gameplan is going as Lottich drew it up, then he's not recruiting good enough players cause we look completely outmatched against a 5-7 team.

wh

Chairback

Could have done it 5 mins in WH.  But Smart choice still.

valpotx

If players are not showing effort and making bone-headed plays, those things are not on the coach and how he prepared the team.  It doesn't work that way.  What the players thought and did in the run up to the game, and how they demonstrate effort during the game, is all players.  Bad defensive assignments/schemes, bad play-calling, substitutions that don't make sense, that is the coach.  None of that is currently tied to our crappy play.  It is all just stupid basketball fundamentals by the players.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Chairback

TX, The players are playing like crap because it's a free-for-all out there. They just winging everything out there.

How many times can you be scored on in the paint over and over and make no adjustments on it.

IndyEIT777

I don't know about you, but nothing there looks like any form of defensive scheme has been put together for this game. How the hell is UNI getting all these clean drives to the basket? No form of adjustments have been made!!!

valpotx

As much as I like Krikke, he has played absolute shite defense today.  If you go to a zone with how they are shooting, they are making everything.  When we go to man, both Krikke and Sheldon just get beat by misdirection dribbling.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

We make up for not defending the 3 by not defending the paint.

We made up for stinking it up in the first half by sucking particularly on defense in the second.

I'd like to put some lipstick on this pig and say maybe we saved up all our bad and put it in this game but I'm afraid I can't. Maybe there's a sliver of hope that this will be the low point of the season.  We shall see.

Just Sayin

Quote from: mj on January 05, 2022, 08:45:37 PM
We're wearing a trash bag looking uniform and we're playing like trash. Coincidence?

The uniforms say Valparaiso. What the hell happened to Valpo. That's our brand.

covufan

Embarrassing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mj

Nice to see Ruedinger get his first collegiate basket. Otherwise this game was horrific. I really hope Lottich doesn't try and blame this loss on injuries/Covid.

I believe that we will win.

NativeCheesehead

This team is not progressing nicely.

hailcrusaders

I kinda like the uniforms that say "Valparaiso". The script ones we had right at the end of the Peters era were fantastic. Don't think the gray is a good look on us at all though.

Anyway. Lottich himself isn't the one who misses a layup or a defensive assignment, but he's the one who recruits the players who do. He's the one who leads practices with the players who do. He's the one who gameplans with the players who do. He's the one who decides whether players who miss layups and defensive assignments see more playing time.

On one hand, every team has bad nights, and we were a bit short handed. On the other hand, this was a really bad night. We were never in it! I sure don't remember getting absolutely embarrassed  like this very often between 2010 and 2016. We weren't expected to win this one, but it feels like forever (the Drake game last season?) since we've gone on the road and gutted out a W in a game we weren't supposed to win. It's real hard to inspire any confidence in players, fans, or recruits until that starts happening.
#CrusadersForever

Just Sayin

This keeps up and the transfers will be tranferring again.