• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs Missouri St 1/15 4 pm at the ARC

Started by humbleopinion, January 15, 2022, 05:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

That guy is an a-hole. The first game after the mask rule was put in place, I saw him yelling down at a fan who apparently wasn't wearing his mask properly, or whatever. He was boorish and obnoxious. I'm assuming he and trouble run into each other fairly often.  ;)

Just Sayin

justducky

Quote from: vok22 on January 16, 2022, 12:03:40 PMIn fact, if they all qualified, all 3 of our point guards would have top 30 assist to turnover ratios. The fact of the matter is there is no offense to run. 

Hmmm  ???   I don't think that could be said any better.

Chairback

In that post game interview he is clearly frustrated and to me questioning the players effort.  Something isn't right for sure. 

Old Timer

My question is not ready to play or not prepared to play. I believe Missouri State took the wind out of our sails in the first 10 minutes. Since there is little press coverage, who is actually at the press conference?

usc4valpo

Being the old fart that I am, I remember obnoxious fans in the 80s during the Smith years. Perhaps blowing steam at the refs and coach was more feasible for them for their mental health than seeing a psychologist.

I was at Valpo- Drake football games  and saw some embarrassing football parents you just wanted to arrest.

You get morons and losers  at all sporting events.

humbleopinion

Quote from: Old Timer on January 16, 2022, 03:06:06 PM
My question is not ready to play or not prepared to play. I believe Missouri State took the wind out of our sails in the first 10 minutes. Since there is little press coverage, who is actually at the press conference?

It sounded like Paul and Brandon were asking questions.
Beamin' Beacons

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 15, 2022, 07:39:04 PMIf a new coach is required, get the best coach for the job. No need to be restricted within the Valpo family. Who knows if Tonegal is ideal for the job, perhaps if he were such a wonderful candidate he wouldn't be coached in NAIA for such an extended time.
I'm in agreement here. I can't recall seeing Tonegal's name mentioned with any other program although I can't say I was looking for it. Sometimes it comes across as fanboy stuff. Why it has to be him with some I haven't gotten.

I also agree about the family nonsense which is exactly what it is...nonsense. Go get the best guy you can.

JD24

Quote from: justducky on January 15, 2022, 08:28:50 PM
Quote from: JD24 on January 15, 2022, 06:58:04 PMI still don't see the "talent" this roster is supposed to have.
I'm seeing plenty who can score but the defense and rebounding have been a major disappointments. Also those who thought Thomas and Ben would complement each other either on defense or offense seem sadly to be mistaken. The triple K of King, Kithier, and Krikke is also far more bust than boom. We need change and we need it now. How do we adjust for Northern Iowa? Can Matt find a way to keep us in that game?
I was one of those who felt Krikke and Kithier could play together but I think I've been spectacularly wrong on that front. Kithier is the type of player who puts up stats (I think) because in a certain sense in a basketball game someone has to. In other words if they stuck my butt out there for 30 mins the ball would find its way into my hands for 8 bounds a game. He's a slow leaper and that hurts defensively as well. Same thing with a guy like Taylor when he was playing last year. Someone has to score for some teams.

Even King's been a disappointment. He's got some ability but he probably needs to be the team's 3rd or 4th best player. I actually think Anderson's been the best of the transfers but I think he's a problem on defense.

JD24

Quote from: Chairback on January 16, 2022, 02:32:38 PMIn that post game interview he is clearly frustrated and to me questioning the players effort.  Something isn't right for sure.
Whether the effort should be stated or implied publicly, if he was, he wasn't the only one. I hope each player took a good look in the mirror after that game.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 16, 2022, 03:23:53 PMBeing the old fart that I am, I remember obnoxious fans in the 80s during the Smith years. Perhaps blowing steam at the refs and coach was more feasible for them for their mental health than seeing a psychologist. I was at Valpo- Drake football games  and saw some embarrassing football parents you just wanted to arrest. You get morons and losers  at all sporting events.
The football crowd has always been worse than the basketball crowd in down years. Likely more player parents who feel little johnny should be playing or playing more. That typically happens much less in basketball.

covufan

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 16, 2022, 03:23:53 PM
Being the old fart that I am, I remember obnoxious fans in the 80s during the Smith years. Perhaps blowing steam at the refs and coach was more feasible for them for their mental health than seeing a psychologist.

I was at Valpo- Drake football games  and saw some embarrassing football parents you just wanted to arrest.

You get morons and losers  at all sporting events.
I remember somebody flipping the bird at Smith. Oh, wait. That wasn't a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpopal

Quote from: JD24 on January 16, 2022, 03:56:01 PM
Quote from: Chairback on January 16, 2022, 02:32:38 PMIn that post game interview he is clearly frustrated and to me questioning the players effort.  Something isn't right for sure.
Whether the effort should be stated or implied publicly, if he was, he wasn't the only one. I hope each player took a good look in the mirror after that game.
I never understand the abstract notion of effort and sometimes think it seems a convenient target for blame that cannot be measured. Admittedly, I only played at the high school level and certainly not D-1 college, but if I get to play on scholarship at the D-1 level for a limited number of games in a season, once or twice a week, on television in front of a home crowd, with my teammates depending upon me, how the hell am I not going to give 100% effort every time?

justducky

Quote from: covufan on January 16, 2022, 04:06:15 PMI remember somebody flipping the bird at Smith. Oh, wait. That wasn't a fan.

Flipping folks off is out and bare ass mooning folks is in. I favor the later because I like to try to stay in step with the times.  :)

valpopal

Wish he got to see a better game.

[tweet]1482828586868523014[/tweet]

VU2014

Quote from: valpopal on January 16, 2022, 04:21:38 PM

Yikes. That is an awful showing...

JD24

Quote from: valpopal on January 16, 2022, 04:11:49 PM
Quote from: JD24 on January 16, 2022, 03:56:01 PM
I never understand the abstract notion of effort and sometimes think it seems a convenient target for blame that cannot be measured. Admittedly, I only played at the high school level and certainly not D-1 college, but if I get to play on scholarship at the D-1 level for a limited number of games in a season, once or twice a week, on television in front of a home crowd, with my teammates depending upon me, how the hell am I not going to give 100% effort every time?
I agree with the how the hell part but I think it certainly happens and yesterday's was an example from where I sit.

wh

As a 3-star, 6'8"/210 lb., 50% 3-point shooter, who averages 25 PPG and is the 4th ranked player in his state, hopefully he's thinking things will be different when I get here.

Pgmado

I was asking questions, as did the Torch student reporter that was at the game. I'm continuing to go to games leading up to the launch of new venture in two weeks.

VALPO LI

Quote from: VU2014 on January 16, 2022, 04:30:45 PM

1,600 Strong Weak.  A Saturday game, student section was empty and where was the band? Are students back from break?
Shine on Vu

wh

Quote from: VALPO LI on January 16, 2022, 07:38:25 PM

1,600 Strong Weak.  A Saturday game, student section was empty and where was the band? Are students back from break?

Looks like classes started last Wednesday. We are so far in over our heads being in the Missouri Valley Conference in every respect:
• lost all media coverage
• completely unacceptable venue that isn't properly maintained
• shabby little crowds
• students that don't support their program anymore
• a band that doesn't bother to show up
• a 5-minute weekly coaches show published twice in 12 weeks
• professional halftime entertainment at 1 game in the past 2 seasons
• bizarrely overpriced chairback seats apparently priced by someone who lives in a parallel universe
• no facility improvement plan
• no donors (that anyone's aware of)
• and last, but not least, a men's bb program that has completely lost it way

We are the Peter Principle's poster child:

We have risen to "a level of respective incompetence": we were promoted based on our success in lesser jobs until we reached a level at which we are no longer competent.

Management bears full responsibility for promoting someone to their level of incompetence. The Missouri Valley Conference bears full responsibility for this mess. They got caught up in our history of success and failed to recognize that we were completely ill prepared and incapable of competing at yet a higher level. Now they're stuck with us.

Someone said Matt Lottich should do the right thing and resign. The harsh reality is Valparaiso University should do the honorable thing and resign from the MVC. Of course we won't. We'll continue to follow a false premise that all we have to do is find a white knight just waiting for our call so he can come and save us. Maybe even a successful NAIA coach. Right.

valpopal

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2022, 09:01:43 PM
Quote from: VALPO LI on January 16, 2022, 07:38:25 PM

Looks like classes started last Wednesday. We are so far in over our heads being in the Missouri Valley Conference in every respect:
• lost all media coverage
• completely unacceptable venue that isn't properly maintained
• shabby little crowds
• students that don't support their program anymore
• a band that doesn't bother to show up
• professional halftime entertainment at 1 game in the past 2 seasons
• bizarrely overpriced chairback seats apparently priced by someone who lives in a parallel universe
• no facility improvement plan
• no donors (that anyone's aware of)
• and last, but not least, a men's bb program that has completely lost it way

We are the Peter Principle's poster child:

We have risen to "a level of respective incompetence": we were promoted based on our success in lesser jobs until we reached a level at which we are no longer competent.

Management bears full responsibility for promoting someone to their level of incompetence. The Missouri Valley Conference bears full responsibility for this mess. They got caught up in our history of success and failed to recognize that we were completely ill prepared and incapable of competing at yet a higher level. Now they're stuck with us.

Someone said Matt Lottich should do the right thing and resign. The harsh reality is Valparaiso University should do the honorable thing and resign from the MVC. Of course we won't. We'll continue to follow a false premise that all we have to do is find a white knight just waiting for our call so he can come and save us. Maybe even a successful NAIA coach. Right.
Weren't you criticizing others for negative posts just a few days ago? ("You guys should take your posts over to the Loyola board. They'll love you over there.") I guess this answers my question from earlier today asking whether we have hit the breaking point. We have.

Brandon

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2022, 09:01:43 PM

I just wanted to jump in and provide a clarification as I know you've brought up the coaches shows on several occasions. We rotate weeks between men's basketball and women's basketball, so Mary joins me every other week. I've done three men's coaches show with Matt and the fourth will be recorded tomorrow and published this week, plus there have been just as many coaches shows featuring women's basketball. There were a few weeks where we did not a record with either coach during the nonconference season due to travel to Stanford and the Bahamas plus the weeks of Christmas and New Years, but now that we're into conference play and the schedule is more consistent, we're into a rhythm of coaches shows every week rotation between men's and women's.

NativeCheesehead

So despite my lack of insider knowledge, I actually have an answer to the band question. I had some students sit behind me at the game last night (apparently some of the students sit in the chair backs now since there's so many open.) and overheard one of them say that only 9 people showed up for the pep band after winter break so it is effectively disbanded (pun intended). They're working on getting enough together for a couple of games but it will be touch and go.