• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Looking to December

Started by wh, November 25, 2011, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many games will we win in December?

1 (2.9%)
5 (14.7%)
18 (52.9%)
8 (23.5%)
<5
2 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: December 03, 2011, 11:07:50 PM

wh

We have 8 games coming up in Dec.:

Dec 3 at Butler (3-2)
Dec 7 at IPFW (2-1)
Dec 10 Bowling Green (3-2)
Dec 17 Oakland (3-2)
Dec.20 at Northern Illinois (0-4)
Fri, Dec 23 at IUPUI (1-4)
Dec 29 Milwaukee (4-1)
Sat, Dec 31 Green Bay (2-4)

How many Dec. games will we win?

wh

IMO these are all winnable games.  I think we win 4 of 5 non-conf. games and 2 of 3 conf. games = 6 wins.  That would give us a very good overall record of 11-4 going into Feb. and could set the stage for an excellent season.

valporun

Quote from: wh on November 25, 2011, 11:13:44 PMThat would give us a very good overall record of 11-4 going into Feb.

I agree with your prediction of winning 6 of 8 December games, but let's not forget about the January conference games that make February important.

I'm saying we will probably struggle in the Butler game after 8 days of practice prior to that game, and one of the non-conference games could be a real trap (BG or NIU). Oakland will be up in the air, as I haven't seen what they have this season, or who they've played prior to the game with us.

VUfan

Butler is is vary win able, so are the WI Schools and all of the non con games. We go 7-1  and sit a top the  Horizon League. Marry Christmas!

lowposter

It looks like we could win 6, but remember there are finals and holidays involved.  Thus, I will hedge a bit and vote for 5.

I agree that Butler is very winable, but that doesnt mean it will occur.  The Wisconsin road trip is always tough, cost us a shot at regular season championship last year.

BTW, does anyone know where Howard Little is this year?  Is he playing overseas? 

VUfan

The Wisconsin road trip is always tough, cost us a shot at regular season championship last year.
Road trip?

wh

Quote from: valporun on November 26, 2011, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: wh on November 25, 2011, 11:13:44 PMThat would give us a very good overall record of 11-4 going into Feb.

I agree with your prediction of winning 6 of 8 December games, but let's not forget about the January conference games that make February important.

I'm saying we will probably struggle in the Butler game after 8 days of practice prior to that game, and one of the non-conference games could be a real trap (BG or NIU). Oakland will be up in the air, as I haven't seen what they have this season, or who they've played prior to the game with us.

I meant to say "going into January."  Sorry for the confusion.

valpo4life

Quote from: lowposter on November 26, 2011, 11:31:39 AM

I agree that Butler is very winable, but that doesnt mean it will occur.  The Wisconsin road trip is always tough, cost us a shot at regular season championship last year.

I am pretty sure that these games on the 29th and 31st are at home.

vuweathernerd

they are all winnable games. i'm thinking 6-2, losing a very tight game at butler, and one of bowling green/oakland/milwaukee.

vu72

Butler just isn't very good.  I think they will get drilled by Indiana.  We should win that game.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

Yes- we could take 6, but 5 is the most probable outcome. Yes- all are winnable but all might also be losable. I have no desire to even attempt to pick which games are which.

valpopal

I optimistically voted that we win 6 games in December; though, as someone suggested, there are a number of variables: the final exams, the holidays, a tendency for one or two players to get the flu, students gone for the home games against Oakland, Milwaukee, and Green Bay, etc. Still, even 5 wins would give us 10 as we enter January, and I could be satisfied with that number. Nevertheless, the most important wins would be in the Milwaukee and Green Bay games.

In fact, when the schedule was announced, how many of us wouldn't have taken a 10-5 record at the end of December? 

Also, a significant decision must be made on December 17 when Ben Boggs would be eligible for the Oakland game. Unless there is some injury that necessitates Ben suiting up, I would recommend that he redshirt this year and have two full seasons of eligibility beginning next year, when this team ought to be a favorite for the league championship.

Perhaps an additional mini-poll for December: Agree or disagree with redshirting Ben?

sectionee

Winning on the road is not easy. We have 4 road games...I will say we win 4.

bbtds

Quote from: sectionee on November 26, 2011, 06:46:03 PM
Winning on the road is not easy. We have 4 road games...I will say we win 4.

Agreed on road games not being easy to win but I still think we pull out at least 2 road wins. IUPUI in Conseco Fieldhouse is a very winnable road game. Conseco is very empty these days except for concert performances. But if the NBA and it's players ratify the agreement reached then by the day after Christmas the Pacers will be playing the Pistons. The game on the same day as the Valpo/IUPUI game which was against the Nets is cancelled for sure. I wonder if IUPUI could get the Valpo game moved to the evening.

Also I feel that Valpo will defeat Butler or IPFW. I went with 5 wins because we may lose one of the Milwaukee, Green Bay, Oakland or Bowling Green games at home.

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on November 25, 2011, 11:13:44 PM
IMO these are all winnable games.  I think we win 4 of 5 non-conf. games and 2 of 3 conf. games = 6 wins.  That would give us a very good overall record of 11-4 going into Feb. and could set the stage for an excellent season.

There is only one way to define an "excellent season" - NCAA tournament.

That being said, going 11-4 would be a good start, and maybe even a springboard to the conference and possible a tournament double bye scenario. Also being said, I don't see that happening. Maybe I will be wrong, but Valpo isn't consistant enough night in and night out.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

I picked 7, but 6-2 would be good as well.

valpotx

I also picked 7, but feel it can be 5 or 6 depending on how a few close games play out
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

I am watching the Tennessee vs. Oakland game, and Oakland has led by double digits throughout much of the first half. Oakland will be tough.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on November 28, 2011, 08:56:38 PM
I am watching the Tennessee vs. Oakland game, and Oakland has led by double digits throughout much of the first half. Oakland will be tough.

Playing at Oakland - dangerous!

Picked 11 of 12 in the SEC, but they took #8 Memphis to double overtime...

Would be a great win for Oakland.  Twice in two years?  Even if Tennessee's not #7 this time.

Up five with nine to play.  Up seven with 1m22 to play.

http://www.iheart.com/#/live/1129/?autoplay=true

Apparently the first time ESPN's ever televised an Oakalnd home game (ESPNU).

How did they get Tennessee to play in the O'Rena?  We should get one of these BCS teams into the ARC sometime...

89-81 final.  Oakland wins.

$20 for student tickets, incidentally.  $25 for the public.  A sell-out, supposedly.

StlVUFan

The game on the 17th could be a really tough one for Valpo, especially if Travis Bader isn't prevented from shooting 3s.  Reggie Hamilton could be a load and a half.

StlVUFan

Oh yeah, and Petros is a beast underneath.  One thing to look for: who gets into foul trouble, him or KVW?  Either is possible.

And the two guys calling this Oakland-Tennessee game for ESPNU are horrible in my opinion.  Mike McCormack is the color guy, and for someone who has done games for this conference before (used to do the Mid-Con championship game and even the Mid-Con game of the week), he still belongs in the "out-of-town-stupid" category, at one point stating that Kampe took over in 1999.

3 things these guys are guilty of consistently:

1.  They're in love with the sound of their own voice (especially when they are sucking up to the fans of the mid-major team being showcased).
2.  They don't do their homework.
3.  They can't resist trampling over game action with stories about stuff that in that context are completely irrelevant.

I would say these guys tonight were mostly guilty of #1.

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on November 29, 2011, 12:31:00 AMMike McCormack is the color guy, and for someone who has done games for this conference before (used to do the Mid-Con championship game and even the Mid-Con game of the week), he still belongs in the "out-of-town-stupid" category, at one point stating that Kampe took over in 1999.

The announce team was Clay Matvick and Tim McCormick. I'm guessing these two bottom-of-the-barrel regional guys that they could last minute send to Rochester, Michigan for what they felt was a meaningless pushover for Tennessee, but I guess they forgot that the Golden Grizzles upset #8 Tennessee a year ago at Knoxville. How quickly ESPN gives a crap about SEC-Summit Basketball.

valpotx

I am just glad our game against Oakland is at home this year.  Though I believe our students will be away, it just gives you that much more of an edge against them it seems.  Have we ever lost to them at home?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Valpo89

Quote from: valpotx on November 29, 2011, 10:16:09 AM
I am just glad our game against Oakland is at home this year.  Though I believe our students will be away, it just gives you that much more of an edge against them it seems.  Have we ever lost to them at home?
Yes, I believe the very last time Oakland was at the ARC, it was a Kampe victory. This is from memory (shady at best sometimes) without looking it up.

VUfan

I think it was our only loss to OU could be wrong.....