• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football recruiting 2012

Started by covufan, February 03, 2012, 11:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Found this on Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results

We have at least three committed to VU.  Not sure what this means, but VU didn't have any football recruits listed as interested in Valpo prior to 2011.  I think Coach Carlson is stepping up the recruiting and we should see some improvement again this fall.

If the DB's 40 time is correct (4.5), this is some much needed speed on defense.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: covufan on February 03, 2012, 11:36:19 AM
Found this on Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/recruit-search-results

We have at least three committed to VU.  Not sure what this means, but VU didn't have any football recruits listed as interested in Valpo prior to 2011.  I think Coach Carlson is stepping up the recruiting and we should see some improvement again this fall.

If the DB's 40 time is correct (4.5), this is some much needed speed on defense.

no kidding. now, to find some more speed to compliment him. i really do hope that we see continued improvement in football over the next few years, but based on the last several years, it is hard to be optimistic. there are reasons students don't go to the football games (or at least didn't in my recent years there).

valpotx

It's so sad to see the state of fan attendance at men's basketball and football games.  When I was in school, our side of the football stands was just about always full, even during the first of Macchi's two seasons when we were 1-10 (turnaround to PFL championship the next).  The same goes for basketball, where it was usually pretty difficult to arrive just before game time, and still get a seat in the low-to-mid mezzanine area.  It used to be that everything except the top few rows of that level was full for most games, with the 'low' attendance games still in the 4,000s.  Is it the economy, or just fair weather fans in area??
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

The weather is pretty fair, and has been for some time.  We have had games against Akron, Duquene, Oakland, Milwaukee, Detroit and Bowling Green amd CSU.  Very solid competition and very good results.  Still the attendance sucks.  Don't get it.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vuweathernerd

the attendance among students at basketball games really started dwindling my junior and senior years (08-10). part of this was i believe in part due to a change in marketing around the student section, to include changing the name from vu cru. the student leadership left and nobody stepped up to take charge.

Valcruz

Hey Guys,
That DB you're referring to is Trevor Hammer, he was recruited by Coach Lee as a Safety and that time of 4.52-4.54 is legit ran it at Kansas State, OSU, and TU football camps last summer. Also as a note: statistical information on Rivals must be verified before they are posted. As added information he was recruited by TU, Drake, and numerous division II schools, and was later offered a recruited walk at TU. I believe he also holds multiple Division II offers from schools in Oklahoma and Kansas.

Note: It's my understanding that Valpo has a total of 15 commitments with a target of 21...

KL31NY

I saw a current student on Twitter recently call 2500-3000 fans at the ARC "packed." Facepalm :banghead: (closest I can get w/ these emoticons)

I'm in my fourth year here and I have probably only seen a truly good crowd at a basketball game I've been able to attend unless its on some ESPN outlet. What has stuck out more to me were the negatives, especially among students. 38 for UIC a few years back. 20ish for Green Bay last year. 20ish again for Iona last year.

Football's been kinda the same, although I have less knowledge of the attendance since I have often been focused on either volleyball or soccer on those game days. I thought at least the turnout seemed better on average this past season than the one before, without seeing any hard #s to back that up...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

okinawatyphoon

From what I can tell, they are trying new marketing strategies for the students but something isn't clicking. We are doing well this year but still don't have a home win against a marquee opponent.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

TC28

Recent commit: Alex Green Zionsville HS. 6'2 230 LB.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Very important to have a good LB corps.  Hopefully he does well!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Zionsville is in one of the toughest football conferences in Indiana, the Hoosier Crossroads, which includes Fishers (many Valpo HS people will remember the Tigers), Hamilton SE, Noblesville, Avon, Westfield, Brownsburg (baseball giant and home of Gordon Hayward ) and the Lafayette area schools--Lafayette Jeff, McCutcheon and WL Harrison. The Zionsville Eagles finished 5-5 losing to the Ben Davis Giants in the sectional. But since they play no games outside of the HCC and their first game outside of conference was against highly rated BD it's somewhat tough to really gage how good they are compared to the rest of the state.

The Eagles started out 5-1 only losing to HSE but then lost 3 straight to Fishers, Brownsburg and Avon and finally Ben Davis.

I'm sure zvillehaze might have a few words on this recruit. Do you follow Zionsville football, zville?

covufan

I look forward to learn more about the next recruiting class, and to see how previous classes are retained.  In the past, it seemed that we would get 40 or so freshman, with only 20 or so playing past their freshman year.  Some would stay at Valpo to continue their education, but did not continue with football.  I think one sign of a good coaching staff would be how to retain young men that know their playing careers are over, but are still interested in being part of the team, and may be interested in becoming coaches at the HS level.

covufan

Quote from: covufan on February 13, 2012, 12:07:29 PM
I look forward to learn more about the next recruiting class, and to see how previous classes are retained.  In the past, it seemed that we would get 40 or so freshman, with only 20 or so playing past their freshman year.  Some would stay at Valpo to continue their education, but did not continue with football.  I think one sign of a good coaching staff would be how to retain young men that know their playing careers are over, but are still interested in being part of the team, and may be interested in becoming coaches at the HS level.

I also like seeing the continued national recruiting effort.

covufan

Any more recent commits?  Any news filtering out of the FB offices?

willy

when do valpo and the PFL teams announce their recruiting classes?

VULB#62

willy

I have heard the football staff has been bringing in kids from all over the nation for visits and working hard to turn this thing around.  Coach Carlson has a history of turning programs around and I think he can do it at Valpo as well!  I think last years recruiting class is proof that he can recruit talent and I look forward to hearing more about the 2012 class.

valpotx

We have a good QB in place, we just need the pieces around him...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU75

Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2012, 04:46:16 PMWe have a good QB in place, we just need the pieces around him...

As a Bear's fan I don't find that very encouraging.

milanmiracle

Quote from: VU75 on February 26, 2012, 08:25:17 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 26, 2012, 04:46:16 PMWe have a good QB in place, we just need the pieces around him...

As a Bear's fan I don't find that very encouraging.

I guess as a Bears fan I would find that encouraging. It's all in how you look at the glass...When Cutler was heathy they were a very good team. Without him, well...
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

willy

Spring football practice starts Wednesday and I'm excited to see what strides the football team can make this year.  I hope they build off strong performances of the last two games of 2011.  Has anyone heard of any more recruits?

VULB#62

The issue with the PFL is that being a non-scholarship league (Scholarship-- give me a break.  I hate that term - it should be a grant-in aid) they can't list the kids who commit until their deposits are in.  It'll probably be May when we have solid info.  (BTW - saw  the same concept on the Stetson website).  Yes, NLIs but no names.  Emailing with Dale Carlson, I sense that they are getting a good class.  How good remains to be seen. The feeling I get is that the recruiting process has significantly improved and is definitely more organized  than in past programs. Carlson needs time but he will get the right kids and VU will be competitive.  I just wish he could get more admin support and that Brown field would be a true FCS venue.

CaliSwag

Ali Shahine is one of the safety's they picked up. He is from San Diego, California. You can see his highlight on youtube. Its called "Ali Shahine Senior Year Highlight Film Class of 2012. FS/SS"

FWalum

I wish you ever makes these highlight videos would realize that if you are doing this for coaches or recruiters to watch then it would be best to delete the sound track. Not just picking on this video, they almost all have unneeded sound tracks.  Ali Shahine San Diego, California highlights
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show