• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. YSU (Feb. 11) Game Thread

Started by valpopal, February 10, 2012, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Valpo is currently a 1-point underdog. I think it is difficult to pick a score with the possibility Kevin will miss the game; though, the good news I hear is that his knee is feeling better, and there is a chance he could play. Without Kevin, this game becomes tougher since our advantage over the Penguins relied on the depth of our bench against a team that does not really go beyond the starting five.

However, I'm hoping the team carries momentum into this game and Bryce has them focused on keeping first place by reminding them of the poor showing in the final four league games last year. Two keys should be defending the 3-point line and keeping Richie out of foul trouble if Kevin is unable to play or is limited.

Valpo  71
YSU    66

bbtds

One thing you must admit is Cleveland State did not play their usual decent offensive game against Valpo Thursday night. If the Penguins start hitting 3's on Saturday night then the Crusaders must start hitting 3's also (which as we know they are very capable of doing) and outlast YSU by making the last play as the clock winds down at the end of the game.

P.S. I am enjoying the Pacers' games greatly the last three games. They have played the Utah Jazz, Atlanta Hawks and Memphis Grizzlies, tonight. Each team has had an Indy native on their team in Gordon Hayward-Jazz, Jeff Teague-Hawks and Mike Conley-Grizzlies and it's made the games all that more exciting. Tonight Tyler Hansbrough's family and friends from nearby Poplar Bluff, MO are attending the game in Memphis adding another good quality to the game.

crusaderjoe

Another 71-66 prediction on the board?  This must be the WSU thread, part deux.

What the hell...I'll say 71-66 VU.

vuweathernerd

oklahomamick

I put money on a parlay for butler +6 and valpo win.  Any word the big man's knee?
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 10, 2012, 06:41:12 PM
Valpo  71
YSU    66

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 10, 2012, 08:14:04 PM
I'll say 71-66 VU.

Quote from: historyman on February 11, 2012, 08:59:06 AM
Valpo 71
Youngstown State 66

666666 Does evil Penguin finally stab a dagger in the hearts of the Crusaders in their hour of power? Could happen!

valpopal

There appears to be more good news about Kevin's leg since he participated some in practice this morning; though, whether he will play tonight or how much he plays remains up in the air.

Smj

I hope Kevin skips the game so he can heal....    I think we can pull out a win.   

sectionee

Agreed...if he isn't 100% (and how could he be) I think he should sit this one out

sectionee

I heard he won't play tonight, I'd love to see him sit it out until Loyola's if possible

valpo04

As always, you can watch the game and chat by going to the Game Day portion of the forum.

Smj

Where is the "game day" portion of the forum?   Not seeing a link?

vuweathernerd

official word (well, at least as official as twitter can be): kevin will be dressed so he can be utilized if we absolutely have to. but the coaching staff is gonna try to get through the game without him.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Smj on February 11, 2012, 06:01:51 PM

on the home page, scroll down towards the bottom, and you'll see a header there for it. there's an embedded video link as well as the game chat.

valpo04

Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 11, 2012, 06:03:23 PM
Quote from: Smj on February 11, 2012, 06:01:51 PM

on the home page, scroll down towards the bottom, and you'll see a header there for it. there's an embedded video link as well as the game chat.

I have also added a link to the Menu Bar at the top of the forum. 

crusadermoe

I don't know basketball well enough to diagnose the problem with VU's offense in first half at YSU.   But their passes are getting picked a lot and we're making really bad decisions.     Is Kevin the key cog by posing an inside threat and passing really well back out?    I guess that is an obvious factor.   But no one is getting open looks from 3 and why is that?

DMvalpo18

a lot of things certainly went wrong tonight. poor shooting, mental mistakes (dumb turnovers), missing KVW's offense, etc.

bbtds

Quote from: bbtds on February 11, 2012, 09:03:20 AM
Quote from: valpopal on February 10, 2012, 06:41:12 PM
Valpo  71
YSU    66

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 10, 2012, 08:14:04 PM
I'll say 71-66 VU.

Quote from: historyman on February 11, 2012, 08:59:06 AM
Valpo 71
Youngstown State 66

666666 Does evil Penguin finally stab a dagger in the hearts of the Crusaders in their hour of power? Could happen!

It was more than a dagger it was the Crusader sword thrust straight in the heart of our Crusader team.  Evil Penguin lives!!!

govalpogo

Well it's been an interesting weekend for the HL.  I didn't see the game, but I was half expecting a disappointment.  Oh well, that'll happen.  We needed a split and some luck in Ohio and that's what we got.  Return home and take care of business! 

valpopal

What a disappointing effort by Valpo tonight! They follow up one of their best games of the year with one of their worst performances. I would have hoped they learned something by being reminded of the collapse in the closing four game of last season, but this evening the Crusaders looked like last year's team did in the 20-point loss to Loyola. If anything positive could be said, perhaps this will anger the players enough to be a lot more motivated against UIC on Tuesday.

wh

I guess the question has been answered as to the impact Kevin has on this team's success.  Kevin scored 23 points in 23 minutes in game-1.  He forced YSU to play zone, which gave us a lot of open looks from the perimeter.  Without Kevin to worry about tonight they played man the entire game.  Other than Ryan (and Richie with mixed success) we don't have anyone who can beat their man off the dribble or create their own shot.  Without a big man scoring threat, we have to depend on a group of consistently inconsistent jump shooters to get the job done. 

One other point - the 5 has been our most productive position this season.  We got an amazing 35 points from the 5 position in game-1 -- 23 from Kevin and 12 from Richie.  Those 35 also opened up easier scoring opportunities for others.  Tonight we got 21 -- 19 from Kevin and 2 from Vucic.  This team is not good enough at the other positions to make up for that loss against the better teams in the conference.  The bottom line is if Kevin returns, we will be fine.  If he doesn't, the season if basically over.   

sectionee

Valpo wouldn't have beaten anyone in the Horizon tonight. Get healthy and get back at it Tuesday. I was a bit disappointed after Ryan scored those quick 7 points to start the second then didn't get the ball the next handful of times down the court. I thought that was a poor job by the coaches, playrs and Rowdy for not demanding he have the ball. Let's get right on Tuesday!

valpotx

Pretty poor effort on our end.  Never seen so many dumb passes in a 5-6 minute sequence.  It was almost like everyone had the flu, except Richie in the first 10 minutes of the game.   :)
"Don't mess with Texas"