• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Some breathing room!

Started by vu72, February 10, 2012, 08:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Detroit just took down Milwaukee 58-57.  A little more seperation between the top 2 and the rest!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sectionee

Oren tweets that 1 more conference win should clinch a dbl bye! Panther fans not pleased with the officiating tonight.

StlVUFan

Quote from: sectionee on February 10, 2012, 08:23:26 PM
Oren tweets that 1 more conference win should clinch a dbl bye! Panther fans not pleased with the officiating tonight.

Not quite, I think.  If CSU finishes in 1st but loses to Butler, Butler, YSU, and Valpo can all end up 12-6, and Butler wins the tiebreaker (3-1 to 1-3 to 2-2).

StlVUFan

By the way, I watched the last 5 or 6 minutes, and Panther fans may well have a case.  I can't tell if it was a hose job or not, but it certainly looked suspect.  There were a few calls at the Kress Events Center last night that looked very suspect as well (as in "that certainly did not look close to being a foul").

Pgmado

Great work Jim. The math was more than I can handle. That said, it's difficult to figure a realistic situation that doesn't have Valpo in a double bye if it beats Youngstown.

valporun

I can make the math even easier.... Al Davis Method. JUST WIN, BABY!!!  ;D

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on February 11, 2012, 03:30:06 AM
Great work Jim. The math was more than I can handle. That said, it's difficult to figure a realistic situation that doesn't have Valpo in a double bye if it beats Youngstown.

It's obviously what keeps Jim going back and forth between 'sader03's "elite poster status" and non-elite poster/exposer of his b.s. status. It's a love/hate relationship that must declare itself one way or the other on Tuesday. Oh, the drama!

Give it up, StL, you must give in. Of course I mean to the realization that Valpo will get a double bye if they beat Youngstown again.  ;)

StlVUFan

;D

And do I see a realistic chance of us losing out on the double bye?  Not really, no. :)

The only caution I feel: how different of a team are we going to be short-handed?  That's an unknown to me, as is the length of the short-handed-ness.

valpo95

I second that -- great work.  I loved the "obviously" tossed in there, because while completely true, just looking at the number of possibilities very little was completely obvious except "just win". 

johnestuff

Cleveland loses! Now we have a one game cushion. But let's win out and remove any doubt about who wins the conference.

I see Valpo building on their success.

Valpo 65
YSU   53

drewsaders11

Butler just beat Cleveland St. 52-49 in an early game, giving us one a one game lead over CSU, and the tiebreaker.  Not a bad position to be in.  Also, the four teams we have left average 5 wins, with 3 home games.  Cleveland State's four team's average 7 wins, with 2 home games. Anything can happen in that span (as evidenced by some of our shoddy play late last year), but I'm optimistic at this point.

StlVUFan

And we can stop rooting for Butler now ;)

crusadermoe

A lot of things are falling our way.     
Actually  I think CSU will lose two more and give #2 seed to Milwaukee.  CSU plays at Milwk next week then Brkbuster,  a Tuesday trip to Green Bay, yhrn 2 nights later you host a tough Detroit team.    That is tough even when you aren't reeling in confidence. . 

Crusader03

I agree Paul...beat YSU and it is almost impossible that we don't get a double bye.

And kudos to Jim on the hard work on this article.

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on February 11, 2012, 08:51:38 AM

It's obviously what keeps Jim going back and forth between 'sader03's "elite poster status" and non-elite poster/exposer of his b.s. status. It's a love/hate relationship that must declare itself one way or the other on Tuesday. Oh, the drama!

Give it up, StL, you must give in. Of course I mean to the realization that Valpo will get a double bye if they beat Youngstown again.  ;)

Valpo04...let's chat later about making stalking against board rules.  I won't go into details here, but there is a poster who is stalking me and trying to make me think from his liberal perspective.  TTYLMF!

sectionee

Isn't Valpo's 1 game lead over CSU actually a 2 game lead since we hold all the tie breaks over them?

Nildogg

johnestuff

Quote from: sectionee on February 11, 2012, 01:45:48 PM
Isn't Valpo's 1 game lead over CSU actually a 2 game lead since we hold all the tie breaks over them?

I guess you could call this a virtual 2 game lead!

vu72

Quote from: Nildogg on February 11, 2012, 01:49:18 PM
We're coming... :lol:

What Nildogg?  No "thank you" for the Valpo effect on CSU?  They were flat all day, and who can blame them after getting pounded by us!   ;)

And Oh, by the way, it was me a couple of years ago who said on your board..."we're coming!"  Just in case you didn't notice, I think we have arrived! ;) ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Nildogg

I think all the pressure is on your backs... we'll see what happens, but this BU team is picking up steam, even with a horrid offense. 

Some delusional fans have unrealistic expectations, but not me.  Win or lose, I know the real success happens once we get our shooters on the floor.  Anything that comes from this year, will be thanks to a terrible conference.

Enjoy your season of success, because things are going to be back to normal next year!

Valpo effect?  That's cute!   Add that to your special Tshirts for our game, right under the "Valpo Way"!   8)

78crusader

Uh, guys...I realize this is all very exciting --and I have done my share of checking my schedule out here in Iowa to see if I can make it to VU for the conference tournament -- but this conference title isn't ours yet.  I don't think Butler is going to lose again, at least not until they finish up with us.  And CSU didn't win 20 of its first 25 by being a mediocre team.  It wouldn't be crazy to think they will pick themselves up from the floor and not lose again.  We have a tough fight tonight and, as last year showed us, these next two home games against the Chicago teams are not gimmies.  And Butler, as I mentioned, is going to finish strong. 

Paul

wh

With everyone back next year plus the addition of two quality bigs, there's little doubt we will be favored to win the league.  It will be interesting to see if Butler or anyone else can leapfrog us.  This year is an unexpected bonus.

StlVUFan

Quote from: 78crusader on February 11, 2012, 03:40:21 PM
Uh, guys...I realize this is all very exciting --and I have done my share of checking my schedule out here in Iowa to see if I can make it to VU for the conference tournament -- but this conference title isn't ours yet.  I don't think Butler is going to lose again, at least not until they finish up with us.  And CSU didn't win 20 of its first 25 by being a mediocre team.  It wouldn't be crazy to think they will pick themselves up from the floor and not lose again.  We have a tough fight tonight and, as last year showed us, these next two home games against the Chicago teams are not gimmies.  And Butler, as I mentioned, is going to finish strong. 

Paul

Nobody said it was.  We haven't even been talking about the title.  We've been talking about the double-bye, clinching 2nd place.  And we are darn close to that.