• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Loyola MARYMOUNT (2/17) Game Thread

Started by covufan, February 15, 2012, 05:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 16, 2012, 01:13:32 PM
Quote from: KL31NY on February 16, 2012, 10:48:59 AMValparaiso big man Kevin Van Wijk will not travel to California in order to rest for final Horizon League games.
That might indicate that things are not as hunky dory as we have been led to believe with Kevin's knee and or back.
I agree with FWAlum. I think this may not bode well for Kevin being in great shape for the last 2 HL home games and most importantly for the HL tourney in our own back yard. I do think Valpo can beat Loyola without Kevin but I would hate to see him miss the HL tourney. Valpo needs Kevin bad. That was evidenced by the difference in the YSU and UIC games.

sliman

We'll miss Kevin defensively.  LMU 83, VU 65

vuweathernerd

this hurts our interior depth. this means that richie will start in kvw's place and vucic will come off the bench to spell him. i think there's a slight chance that vucic and richie might see a little bit of mutual time on the floor, giving a more traditional look, but i fully expect one to be on the bench resting while the other's on the floor for the majority of the game.

i disagree with paul's bracketbuster statement, and hope that we continue to take part in the bracketbuster as a conference. it's generally a great measuring stick to see how we might play against a comparable team from another conference. but over the last couple years, i've started becoming more sympathetic to the argument of moving it to the early non-con schedule. this late in the season, it does conceivably become more of a distraction than it helps.

sectionee

These games should be played in December instead of unconvincing everyone with mid February games. KVW staying back is just for further rest, he will be fine for Tuesday.

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2012, 12:15:21 PM
I guess I am still in the minority in thinking that these games are good for us.  I know that the student-athletes really enjoy getting to play an extra out-of-conference team, and if you are doing well, you get to test yourself against a quality opponent.  We will have plenty of time to rest up after the game, so we can't use it as an excuse if we don't play well against Loyola.
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 16, 2012, 02:44:00 PMi disagree with paul's bracketbuster statement, and hope that we continue to take part in the bracketbuster as a conference. it's generally a great measuring stick to see how we might play against a comparable team from another conference. but over the last couple years, i've started becoming more sympathetic to the argument of moving it to the early non-con schedule. this late in the season, it does conceivably become more of a distraction than it helps.

Not sure if it is a minority or not, but I like seeing the matchups as well.  I also agree that with only 2 or 3 HL games left in the regular season, that the team's focus should be on the HL games.  Either early conference or pre-conference schedule might be better.  Maybe the ProBowl weekend, since most of the media attention will be on the upcoming Super Bowl Weekend.  Just a thought.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: covufan on February 16, 2012, 07:29:19 PM
Quote from: valpotx on February 16, 2012, 12:15:21 PM
I guess I am still in the minority in thinking that these games are good for us.  I know that the student-athletes really enjoy getting to play an extra out-of-conference team, and if you are doing well, you get to test yourself against a quality opponent.  We will have plenty of time to rest up after the game, so we can't use it as an excuse if we don't play well against Loyola.
Quote from: vuweathernerd on February 16, 2012, 02:44:00 PMi disagree with paul's bracketbuster statement, and hope that we continue to take part in the bracketbuster as a conference. it's generally a great measuring stick to see how we might play against a comparable team from another conference. but over the last couple years, i've started becoming more sympathetic to the argument of moving it to the early non-con schedule. this late in the season, it does conceivably become more of a distraction than it helps.

Not sure if it is a minority or not, but I like seeing the matchups as well.  I also agree that with only 2 or 3 HL games left in the regular season, that the team's focus should be on the HL games.  Either early conference or pre-conference schedule might be better.  Maybe the ProBowl weekend, since most of the media attention will be on the upcoming Super Bowl Weekend.  Just a thought.

i do kind of understand the timing as they're currently scheduled. because it gives teams a chance to actually prove themselves and allows for more accurate gauging of matchups.

drewsaders11

I believe that Bryce not taking KVW on this trip definitely shows how much BracketBusters mean in general.  This game means absolutely nothing.  Possibly the difference in a 13 and 14, etc, if they do make the tournament.  The top five matchups (Murray St vs. St. Marys, Creighton vs LBSU) may actually have slight implications, but these games seem to put more pressure on lower level teams than it is worth.  Since the matchups were annonced, Murray St. had their first loss, St. Mary's lost at home to LMU, Creighton has lost three in a row, and Cleveland St. (who also has a televised game) has tanked.  It does help teams get more exposure, but when everyone gets exposure these days, what does it matter? 

I do believe that these games may be more meaningful in late January or earlier in February.  December would be too early (it wouldn't be known who is the elite of mid-majordom), and February is too late, because all the cards are pretty much already on the table (ie, any HL team needs to win their league to make it, and imo, one loss or win against another good mid-major team won't change much for the top few matchups). 

Anyways, I hope Valpo doesn't lose any momentum or get injured, and anything more than that is a pro.  I think with the HL having games on ESPN networks fairly regularly, there doesn't seem to be much need for the added exposure.

MattCarter

Personally, I really like the Brackbuster games the way they are.  Coaches will always find something to complain about with the schedule.

I like it.  I really want to see a full power Valpo take on Loyola Marymount.  They have gotten votes in the Mid Major Top 25 lately.  Maybe just my opinion, but a solid win might give us a better rank in the tourney and/or a better look by NIT/CIT.  I think the opposite could be true with a loss.

I totally get not taking Kevin on the trip, don't get me wrong.  I don't like not playing to win every game.  I don't think we can get a loss from here out.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

sectionee

http://sectionee.blogspot.com/2012/02/game-preview-bracket-buster.html

A special guest writer is going to the game and will be writing a post for us. Hope to have it Saturday night.  Until then, here is a preview.

Valpo2010

Just wanted to share with everyone a comment I found on the Milwaukee message board.  No guarantees on accuracy of the statement, but I found it rather interesting.

"Learned tonight: After two more years, the Horizon League is pulling out of this event.

Once the MEAC and SWAC got involved, you knew that BracketBusters was terribly bloated.

We're reportedly looking to do a challenge series instead, sometime early in the season."

sectionee

valpotx

Now, I WOULD support a challenge series against the MVC, or a similar ranking conference (upper mid-major conference like ours).
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Here is a brief audio interview with Bryce about the BracketBusters, Loyola Marymount, and the strength of the Horizon League:

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/valparaiso-coach-bryce-drew-joined-mark-packe

mj

QuoteNow, I WOULD support a challenge series against the MVC, or a similar ranking conference (upper mid-major conference like ours).

Agreed.  Both conferences have 10 teams, so we could have a 5 year agreement where each Horizon League team plays 2 MVC teams a year (1 home, 1 away).
I believe that we will win.

valpopal

I'm guessing (and hoping) this is just another example of bad journalism poorly sourced by NBC:

"The 2012 Crusaders are atop the Horizon League standings, but may have to finish the season without their best player, Kevin Van Wijk, who suffered a knee injury earlier in the month."

http://beyondthearc.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/ten-bracketbuster-teams-casual-fans-need-to-know-more-about/

KL31NY

Quote from: valpopal on February 17, 2012, 09:00:18 AM
I'm guessing (and hoping) this is just another example of bad journalism poorly sourced by NBC:

"The 2012 Crusaders are atop the Horizon League standings, but may have to finish the season without their best player, Kevin Van Wijk, who suffered a knee injury earlier in the month."

http://beyondthearc.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/ten-bracketbuster-teams-casual-fans-need-to-know-more-about/

Also a reference to Kevin Broekhoff? Wow.......
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on February 17, 2012, 09:00:18 AM

I'm discounting the story by NBC but maybe FWAlum and whoever else mentioned it have better intuition and KVW really is out for the rest of the season or at least not nearly at full strength. This is where Valpo can make up an excuse or go out and prove to the HL that they are not so dependent on one player. I say Valpo needs to prove this is a TEAM. The Valpo Way or whatever you want to call it.

vu72

I suspect they are wrong as he didn't look all that bad against UIC and he'll have another week of rest from that game until the Loyola game.

Here's a question:  Some have said that there were other teams who deserved a TV game yet Valpo got one in prime time.  Could ESPN be influenced by the fact that in the past two TV games Valpo has had in the Bracketbuster, that we have played well and indeed won.  If I'm on to something (versus being on something) then this game may have more significance than first thought.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

My comment was sure speculation.  I have not talked to anyone in the program.  I only suggested it because of experience with players that have come back a little too early only to have to sit an extra game.  If you remember in the UIC game there was a play were Kevin did like an awkward half split, he continued to play but left the game a few minutes later and had limited minutes after that.  I mentioned it in the chat and thought he looked a little more tentative after that incident.  In other words, don't read too much into what I said.  The following article touches on Kevin waking up sore the next day.

Valpo heads West for Bracketbuster
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

crusaderjoe

Interesting comments about the HL pulling out of the Bracketbuster.  The Valley currently has a challenge in place with the Mountain West through 2012.  With conference realignment in play however, I wonder if that challenge will be extended to future years.  Who knows, but even if the MVC is unavailable, they may as well have an HL/MAC challenge during the interim since it seems like we play a lot of MAC teams anyway.  It will be interesting to see what exactly happens if anything on the "challenge" front.

valpotx

I am sure that our name helps us get the ESPN bracketbuster games when we have a decent RPI, but I believe our match-up is one of the top 10 in combined RPI, so it only makes sense with 13 televised.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on February 17, 2012, 07:04:33 AM
Here is a brief audio interview with Bryce about the BracketBusters, Loyola Marymount, and the strength of the Horizon League:

http://siriusxmsports.posterous.com/valparaiso-coach-bryce-drew-joined-mark-packe

Well, um, I ah, um, thought Bryce, um did a pretty good job, um, in describing our situation, um, and how strong the Horizon League has been, um, and how tough they currently are, um.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoHoops

Quote from: crusaderjoe on February 17, 2012, 12:17:59 PM
Interesting comments about the HL pulling out of the Bracketbuster.  The Valley currently has a challenge in place with the Mountain West through 2012.  With conference realignment in play however, I wonder if that challenge will be extended to future years.  Who knows, but even if the MVC is unavailable, they may as well have an HL/MAC challenge during the interim since it seems like we play a lot of MAC teams anyway.  It will be interesting to see what exactly happens if anything on the "challenge" front.

Keep in mind that in the next couple of years, the Mountain West will dissolve and those teams will join a big conference with C-USA. Could be the chance to start something up with the Valley.

valporun

If we can't get something going with the Valley, then the MAC would be a good option. Could be called the "Bus League" Challenge.

StlVUFan

Living in St. Louis, I'm kinda partial to the A-10 myself ;)