• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler @ Valpo (2/24) Game Thread

Started by staxawax, February 22, 2012, 09:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: Nildogg on February 24, 2012, 11:21:06 AM
What is the capacity?

Surprised you haven't sold this game out, being senior night, and with all the implications!?

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that not as many Butler fans are headed up I-65 as in the past.  There doesn't seem to be as much buzz on the Butler board from people saying they are going to the game.  Do you agree? 

I guess we can consider it another dimension of the "Butler Effect."  :)

agibson

Quote from: Valpo10 on February 24, 2012, 01:28:44 PMSeth Davis picked us to win by 7.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/seth_davis/02/24/Weekend.Picks/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

Reltimerpi (computer calculation) has it valpo 73-65 (I don't think it's _just_ as simple as "Valpo's RPI is better").

Sportsnetwork.com has it Valpo 72-68.

I think one set of Vegas odds has butler by 1.5, but I'm not always sure I get the sign right on those.

valpo4life

If anybody is in need of tickets I have two in section BB towards the top on the end that I am looking to sell, I cannot attend any longer and there are no refunds for these tickets.

valpopal

Quote from: agibson on February 24, 2012, 02:47:21 PM
Quote from: Valpo10 on February 24, 2012, 01:28:44 PMSeth Davis picked us to win by 7.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/seth_davis/02/24/Weekend.Picks/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

Reltimerpi (computer calculation) has it valpo 73-65 (I don't think it's _just_ as simple as "Valpo's RPI is better").

Sportsnetwork.com has it Valpo 72-68.

I think one set of Vegas odds has butler by 1.5, but I'm not always sure I get the sign right on those.

Yes, the odds have moved from Valpo favored by 1.5 to Butler favored by 1.5, which I believe reflects views of the importance of the game to Butler as much as anything else.

sectionee

Quote from: Nildogg on February 24, 2012, 11:21:06 AMSurprised you haven't sold this game out, being senior night, and with all the implications!?

This game has no implications for Valpo so I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

valporun

ee, I would say season sweep of Butler, and potentially knocking them out of the double-bye. Though I'm reading here that Butler might still be able to get that #2 seed, even if we win, tonight.

crusaderguy08

That was start to finish domination!  Congrats to the guys for finishing strong in a game that meant nothing.  Here's to hoping Matt Kenney's shoulder is okay.

grad66

You might call this somewhat of a "statement game".  We have had some difficulties in conference recently, but
Bryce has them playing up, together, it's just a great moment for these guys.  They have come together through a
lot this season.  And finished their regular season well tonight.  Now to focus on the next prize!  Congrats Crusaders,
well done!! :thumbsup:

agibson

Big win - Valpo! 

Solid turnout in the ARC; maybe not quite sold-out, but awfully close.  A good lot of Butler fans, maybe 100 students together, and plenty of other sprinkled around.  With fairly loud cheerleaders, etc.  As I left the ARC two busloads of Butler fans (must have been more buses somewhere?  one of those was at least 50% 40+ year olds) were getting ready for the long trip back to Indy.

Great to see KVW put up big numbers, and such balanced scoring.  Fantastic that the game was never close (OK, when it got to within six, I started to wonder a little...).  Great that Shelton and Stegelman both got in.

If there's a downside, it's that Broekhoff didn't do himself many favors, with six points, in the POY voting.  But, the defense was pretty intent on him - he had to work _hard_ for some pretty lousy shots.  I'm not too worried about whether _he_ can bring it in the tournament, so it was great to have KVW put up numbers, and to balance the rest.

Go Valpo!  Don't get too rusty in seven days off!

And, Hank - the views from EE aren't bad!  Might have to try it again sometime.  We'll see where they put me for the semifinals.  It pays to not sit too far up. Still, couldn't read the fight song lyrics; even heard a couple of people singing it!

govalpogo

Just got back from the unofficial Valpo Triangle viewing party!  We had a great time and count it pure pleasure to beat Butler, see such a fun atmosphere, and hear our school's name on national TV!  I hope that this type of success and atmosphere will get the students and fans coming back on a regular basis. 

Really could have been even more dominating with less turnovers and more shots down the well, but it stayed interesting throughout.  Love love LOVE it!

vu72

So when nildogg said the "Butler train was coming", who did he think they were playing?  Purdue? Stanford?  ;)

A solid game for sure and to think, our best player only had 6 points!!  Nothing miraculous about the win, didn't shoot lights out or anything, just a solid game all around.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

It was a good, balanced game tonight. Yes, Ryan was far from his usual double-double, but when the defense was focused on him all night, and not giving him the room to feel his shot, he wasn't going to get his usual points. In no way does tonight's point total affect his opportunity for the HL Player of the Year award. One tough game like this one should make him lose the POY.

Now we just need to rest up, and get ready for next week.

valporun

I just saw the highlights of the game on the LA version of Sportscenter. Anyone know when we picked a center by the name of "Keith" Van Wijk? Yes, Neil Everett called him Keith instead of Kevin. Still good to see Valpo in ESPN highlights, (channeling my inner Cris Carter), Neil.."C'mon Man!!"

valpotx

I absolutely loved how I did not have any worries in watching this game.  I highly doubt this type of point differential will happen in either of our tournament games, so I will enjoy it while I can!
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

I just love the Valpo atmosphere.   Fans are great and it creates an inviting place for our opponents to be gracious.    The place was still packed 20 minutes after the game for some thank you and good bye speeches.   Bruce did excellent.     Well spoken and seemed comfortable.

Can you see the headlines?
Valpo - league champs
Ryan - POY
Bryce - COY

:thumbsup:

humbleopinion

This may be the only game when Buggs puts up more points than Rowdy.  The stats don't reflect the number of times that Rowdy got his hand on a rebound and pushed it out of the hands of a Butler player.

Does anyone have a report on Matt's injury?
Beamin' Beacons

FWalum

Towards the end of the game with Butler making the run a rebound bounces out about 12 feet, Rowdy and two Butler players go for the rebound and Rowdy tips the ball to Kevin standing under the basket for the easy put back. HUGE play that will not be in the scorebook.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

lowposter

Statement game.  I DVRed the game and watched it late.  It would have been a great game to attend.  The atmosphere looked great. 

Congradulations to all.

Lowposter

MattCarter

Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2012, 07:11:04 AMTowards the end of the game with Butler making the run a rebound bounces out about 12 feet, Rowdy and two Butler players go for the rebound and Rowdy tips the ball to Kevin standing under the basket for the easy put back. HUGE play that will not be in the scorebook.
I asked about his arm on Twitter and he said "it is perfectly fine I'll be ready to go".  I believe him.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

humbleopinion

Quote from: MattCarter on February 25, 2012, 07:54:53 AM
Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2012, 07:11:04 AMTowards the end of the game with Butler making the run a rebound bounces out about 12 feet, Rowdy and two Butler players go for the rebound and Rowdy tips the ball to Kevin standing under the basket for the easy put back. HUGE play that will not be in the scorebook.
I asked about his arm on Twitter and he said "it is perfectly fine I'll be ready to go".  I believe him.

I presume that you're reporting about Kenney, not Rowdy...
Beamin' Beacons

crusaderjoe

Valpo went from being very beatable as a #1 to the team to beat in the Horizon League.

Excellent job fellas.  Now bring home the tournament hardware.

johnestuff

Quote from: valporun on February 25, 2012, 12:29:07 AM
I just saw the highlights of the game on the LA version of Sportscenter. Anyone know when we picked a center by the name of "Keith" Van Wijk? Yes, Neil Everett called him Keith instead of Kevin. Still good to see Valpo in ESPN highlights, (channeling my inner Cris Carter), Neil.."C'mon Man!!"

Just saw the report on Sports Center. 'Keith' nearly loses the ball and passes to Broekhoff, If you remember, it was Broekhoff who nearly lost the ball and passes to Van Wijk. Reporter gets the two mixed up!

sectionee

Earlier in the season ESPN called KVW "Van Broekhoff". Now that'd be a player to recon with!