• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Butler to move to the A-10?

Started by valpopal, March 12, 2012, 07:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on May 10, 2012, 06:38:25 PM
Maybe I'm the one confused (wouldn't be the first time).  I quickly looked at X's sched for past 4 years and the only opponent I saw consistently scheduled twice/yr was Dayton.  Has the arrangement been changed with the addition of B?

Or maybe me.  Looks like I may have jumped to an incorrect conclusion.   :-[

wh

This from a recent Dayton news article:

Butler will bolster the A-10's Midwest presence, along with UD, Xavier and Saint Louis, and could create new natural rivalries. Each conference team plays three schools twice and the others once. Wabler said the Bulldogs' three home-and-away opponents will be discussed at league meetings in May.

This gives us a little more insight, but it still doesn't explain how the league determines who plays whom home-and-away.

wh

http://www.gobonnies.com/sports/m-baskbl/2011-12/releases/201105311f0gp8

Well zville, here's what I found that kind of answers the question (maybe).  Apparently, every A-10 team is assigned 3 "travel partners" which become their home and away opponents for the season.  However, the travel partners of your travel partners are not necessarily the same.  It looks pretty complicated.  I now have a brain cramp and no longer care about this! ;)

valpopal

According to CBS, VCU will announce tomorrow that it is leaving the Colonial Athletic League and moving to the A-10 along with Butler in 2013.

LaPorteAveApostle

Most telling phrase from that article:  in the very first sentence.

"industry sources told CBSSports.com".

It's no longer educational, or even athletic.  It's an industry.

Mark Cuban and Malcolm Gladwell are right.  'Bout time to blow it up.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 14, 2012, 02:31:56 PM
Most telling phrase from that article:  in the very first sentence.

"industry sources told CBSSports.com".

It's no longer educational, or even athletic.  It's an industry.

Mark Cuban and Malcolm Gladwell are right.  'Bout time to blow it up.

If you mean the BCS conferences, by all means.

If you mean all of Division I, I'll have to part company with you.  That's the easy way out.  How about facing the truth head-on and reforming (for real this time) the institution of intercollegiate athletics?  I don't have a grand proposal, but this is the kind of thinking that always rubs me the wrong way.  I get the weariness regarding hypocrisy.  But at the mid-major level, I think the ideal is still a realistic goal, albeit a very challenging one.  At Kentucky, they're beyond reformation, clearly.  But the Horizon League, for example?  Hardly.

I'm not saying Mark Cuban is wrong about what's wrong with college sports.  But if that's what his solution is, count me out.

motowntitan

What seems odd is that the A-10 wanted to add 3 teams to make it an even 16, but now they will be only 15- and they are ok with this?

My guess is that they will look at adding a 16th- Don't be surprised if they ask Loyola just to grab some Chicago market.

BigDWSU

Quote from: motowntitan on May 14, 2012, 05:57:30 PM
What seems odd is that the A-10 wanted to add 3 teams to make it an even 16, but now they will be only 15- and they are ok with this?

My guess is that they will look at adding a 16th- Don't be surprised if they ask Loyola just to grab some Chicago market.

CBSSports.com reported two months ago that Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason and Butler were in discussions with the Atlantic 10.

On Friday, George Mason, which along with VCU and Butler had discussions with the Atlantic 10, announced it was staying in the CAA. However, sources told CBSSports.com at the present time the Atlantic 10 was looking to add only one more school and VCU got the nod over Mason.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/19042989

milanmiracle

Adding VCU was a significant addition. The A10 did a fantastic job of upgrading the conference in the flagship program...basketball.

"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

It will be interesting to see what the CAA does in losing VCU, Georgia State, UMass, and probably ODU.  I would have to think they are looking at adding Longwood since they are in VA.  Longwood starts in the Big South next year, but could be easily swayed to the CAA. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

dylanrocks

Quote from: valpotx on May 15, 2012, 03:06:28 PM
It will be interesting to see what the CAA does in losing VCU, Georgia State, UMass and ... ODU.

Become a low-major league? Dissolve? Fold?

setshot

Join Valpo in forming a new D# league. :twocents:

LaPorteAveApostle

I actually agree with setshot--

...at least in that the # of the D should be 1 (or I if you're classically inclined).
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

BigDWSU

Quote from: valpotx on May 15, 2012, 03:06:28 PM
It will be interesting to see what the CAA does in losing VCU, Georgia State, UMass, and probably ODU.  I would have to think they are looking at adding Longwood since they are in VA.  Longwood starts in the Big South next year, but could be easily swayed to the CAA. 

UMass isn't in the CAA.  They are in the A-10.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

UMass is (was) a football member only of the CAA (FCS).  They have gone D-I FBS in football and will now be in the MAC.  I think they will remain A-10 for everything else.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 15, 2012, 06:51:50 PM
I actually agree with setshot--

...at least in that the # of the D should be 1 (or I if you're classically inclined).

i'm pretty sure he was intending to say D3. it just so happens the the # is the shift result of the 3 key.

setshot

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 16, 2012, 08:23:53 AMi'm pretty sure he was intending to say D3. it just so happens the the # is the shift result of the 3 key.

oh, i caught that.  i was just correcting him.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 16, 2012, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on May 16, 2012, 08:23:53 AMi'm pretty sure he was intending to say D3. it just so happens the the # is the shift result of the 3 key.

oh, i caught that.  i was just correcting him.

fair enough

motowntitan

Quote from: BigDWSU on May 14, 2012, 07:38:05 PM

CBSSports.com reported two months ago that Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason and Butler were in discussions with the Atlantic 10.

On Friday, George Mason, which along with VCU and Butler had discussions with the Atlantic 10, announced it was staying in the CAA. However, sources told CBSSports.com at the present time the Atlantic 10 was looking to add only one more school and VCU got the nod over Mason.

and your point is?

I can read what is in the papers, or on-line- What is reported isn't always the final say.

BigDWSU

Quote from: motowntitan on May 16, 2012, 07:19:08 PM
Quote from: BigDWSU on May 14, 2012, 07:38:05 PM

and your point is?

I can read what is in the papers, or on-line- What is reported isn't always the final say.

My point is the A-10 isn't looking for another school.  They are currently touting the fact that they just added 2 teams that have been to the final 4 in the last 3 years.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that they aren't going to invite a 300+ RPI team to their conference next.  The only thing Loyola has going for them is that they are located in Chicago.  The problem is, they get less actual media coverage in Chicago than several high school teams in Chicago so they don't exactly offer any media markets.  If you really think the A-10 is looking to add another school, you might want to check out Creighton and Old Dominion.  Both of those schools are actually interested in going to the A-10 and would add something to the A-10.

bbtds

Quote from: crusaderjoe on May 17, 2012, 10:11:16 AM
ODU is headed to C-USA.  Another CAA loss:

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/5/17/3026401/old-dominion-football-conference-usa-expansion

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2012/05/old-dominion-conference-usa-caa/1#.T7UVfMWqYuc

More bad luck for Georgia State coach & former IUPUI coach, Ron Hunter. He bolts the Mid-Con/Summit after 18 years and then after only 2 years? the CAA turns into the Summit when Old Dominion and VCU leave and it looks like George Mason is looking to leave. The remaining  teams in the Colonial are Delaware, Drexel in Philadelphia, Georgia State in Atlanta, Hofstra on Long Island, James Madison in Harrisonburg, VA in the Shenandoah Valley, UNC-Wilmington, Northeastern in Boston, Towson in Baltimore County & William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA in the Tidewater area (also George Mason for now). I guess that's not exactly the Summit but the Summit really isn't the Mid-Con of the Valpo days. Is there any school ready to flee to the Horizon League?