• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Freeman Resigns

Started by vuweathernerd, March 15, 2012, 05:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

per oren on twitter:

BREAKING -- Keith Freeman resigns as Valparaiso women's basketball coach.

the university no longer has to make a decision. he did the right thing and made it himself. good luck in the future keith.

okinawatyphoon

This is a win-win for everyone. Hopefully Keith finds a brighter future.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Crusader03

Well, "the assistant" finally accomplished what he set out to do.  ValpoHoops, et al likely know exactly what I am referring to.  Politics, am I right?

I knew it was coming, but man, this still stings.

setshot

Finally! ML for AD of the year. Ready,aim,Fire. He pulled the trigger. WOW! :thumbsup:

setshot

"In times of painful tension and vulnerability,choose war: it hardens,it produces muscle (Nietzsche)." Way to go ML. Good luck KF.

jack

I wish him well. Got hit with the perfect storm this year. #1 recruit leaves, and he struggled keeping healthy bodies on the floor. I'm still amazed he racked up 10 wins in all of that. He'll land somewhere. I think as an assistant in a men's program. With Kirby gone too, it'l be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on March 15, 2012, 07:12:54 PM
I wish him well. Got hit with the perfect storm this year. #1 recruit leaves, and he struggled keeping healthy bodies on the floor. I'm still amazed he racked up 10 wins in all of that. He'll land somewhere. I think as an assistant in a men's program. With Kirby gone too, it'l be interesting to see how this shakes out.

a) At least someone sees things how they really are

b) Things will be much different with Kirby gone...believe me

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 07:23:16 PM

i think there's more people than you realize who are impressed that the team won 10 games this year. with all that transpired, winning those 10 games was quite a feat. but all things considered, it was time for him to go.

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 07:23:16 PM

I don't doubt that at all. I suspect, if the truth were known, Keith got caught listening to Kirby too long. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the incoming recruits. I'm not sure if any have provided a John Hancock yet. Certainly, this adds a bit of drama for both player, and program. I'm sure there's an "out" clause for both. 

valpogal

Should have happened last year.

rink

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 06:28:46 PM
I knew it was coming...

Sure.  Says the man who less than a week ago boasted "Sorry folks, he isn't going anywhere" and "he WILL stay".

IndyValpo

Simply put it was time on both sides.  His overall record remains pretty good and will allow him some interviews at some level if he desires.  Valpo has needed a new voice for awhile.

valpotx

I wish the best of luck to Keith as well, and feel it was time too.  He will find life somewhere else with his coaching record and past successes.  I was a big fan of Keith's when I was in school and we were competing for championships each year (except the 7 win year in 2000-2001), so I was just shocked at the change in program direction the last few seasons.  He always seemed to get quality recruits and drove the team to compete, so much so that it was sad to watch some of the games over the last 4 seasons.  Good luck Keith!
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 06:28:46 PMWell, "the assistant" finally accomplished what he set out to do.
So you are saying that Kirby's plan was to get Freeman to leave?  I can't wait to hear about this one. Out of curiousity who hired Kirby...who promoted him?

bbtds

Quote from: rink on March 15, 2012, 10:55:19 PM
I knew it was coming...

Sure.  Says the man who less than a week ago boasted "Sorry folks, he isn't going anywhere" and "he WILL stay".

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 06:23:22 PMI can't say I didn't know this was coming.  Here on the board I was asked to keep things mum/positive, but those of us in the know knew this was coming weeks ago.  I wish I could have said something sooner, but you know how that goes.  I like being IN the loop, don't want to be cut out of it lol

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 09, 2012, 08:43:04 PM
Well, this topic is sure to bring every flamer, troller and hater out of the woodwork to give their "expert" opinions on Keith.

Sorry folks, he isn't going anywhere. 

So you either lied to us or you really didn't know Keith was going to resign. Both seem rather awkward situations. You seem to be digging yourself a hole on this board.

valporun

I have noticed, ever since the board started having more talk about women's basketball, there have been a lot of threads or entries that have flip-flopped in the support of Keith's coaching or wishing for his removal, supporting the 6 woman roster we played most of the conference season with or wondering why we were only using 6 women in most games, and a lot of knowledge or questioning of the program.

Ultimately, I wish Keith the best wherever this decision to resign/being fired takes him. He is a great guy off the court, and really enjoys talking about his faith, and how it helped him keep composure during games or practices, though he did have his moments where he would lose composure during practice, but that's where the best coaching from one game to the next is done.

StlVUFan

Time out.

I completely missed the news that Kirby was leaving too.  When and where was that reported?

vu72

Normally it is assumed that the entire staff is gone until the new head coach decides to keep them.  That has to be what was meant.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

I knew it was coming...

As mentioned in another thread (you don't get out much, do you?), I was asked to keep things positive and not mention the resignation.  It's called a smoke screen.

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on March 16, 2012, 10:19:03 AM
I knew it was coming...

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 06:23:22 PMI can't say I didn't know this was coming.  Here on the board I was asked to keep things mum/positive, but those of us in the know knew this was coming weeks ago.  I wish I could have said something sooner, but you know how that goes.  I like being IN the loop, don't want to be cut out of it lol

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 09, 2012, 08:43:04 PM
Well, this topic is sure to bring every flamer, troller and hater out of the woodwork to give their "expert" opinions on Keith.

Sorry folks, he isn't going anywhere. 

So you either lied to us or you really didn't know Keith was going to resign. Both seem rather awkward situations. You seem to be digging yourself a hole on this board.

Ding, ding, ding!  We have a winner.  As mentioned elsewhere, I did lie/put up a smoke screen.  I was asked to keep things positive about the situation until Keith made things public.  From what I understand, the athletic department tried a last ditch effort to keep Keith to no avail.  But, it was best for Keith for me to insist he was returning until things were official. 

(Now you got a little glimpse into the world of big-time D1 athletics...you're welcome)

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on March 16, 2012, 10:31:23 AM
I have noticed, ever since the board started having more talk about women's basketball, there have been a lot of threads or entries that have flip-flopped in the support of Keith's coaching or wishing for his removal, supporting the 6 woman roster we played most of the conference season with or wondering why we were only using 6 women in most games, and a lot of knowledge or questioning of the program.

Ultimately, I wish Keith the best wherever this decision to resign/being fired takes him. He is a great guy off the court, and really enjoys talking about his faith, and how it helped him keep composure during games or practices, though he did have his moments where he would lose composure during practice, but that's where the best coaching from one game to the next is done.

From me?  Sure.  I'm a competitor.  I want to see the girls succeed, and when they didn't I was flustrated.   But I also highly respect Keith.  AS MENTIONED MANY TIMES, I let my emotions get the best of me at times, but I ultimately have always come back to support Keith.

This board is really beginning to be too much.  No one (besides Jack) gave a crap about girls' basketball until I start posting.  Then, all of the sudden, it is trendy for everyone to have an opinion.  Everyone got on my coattails and that was fine...but it certainly is a major case of biting the hand that feeds you imhofwiw.  You can't have it both ways guys, and now, your comments VALPORUN may have caused everyone to lose---if I leave the board, I lose, you lose, the other posters lose and the girls' program loses.  I need to think on this but who knows if I will be back.

valpotx

I bet to differ with your comment that no one gave a crap about women's basketball before you came along.  I went to every women's game while in school.  Yes, that was originally because my girlfriend was a Crusaderette cheering at the games throughout college, but the games grew on me after my FR year.  I have followed each season since that time as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

I beg to differ to differ that everyone will lose if 03 leaves this board. I for one will feel no loss.

agibson

I'm working hard to hold my tongue.  Almost managing!

To his credit, he does add a certain... spice?

IndyValpo

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 16, 2012, 11:36:44 AMNo one (besides Jack) gave a crap about girls' basketball until I start posting.

Wrong, as usual.