• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Black Thursday---a Thread for Nice Keith Posts ONLY

Started by Crusader03, March 15, 2012, 06:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

Today is a very sad day in VU history.  I can't say I didn't know this was coming.  Here on the board I was asked to keep things mum/positive, but those of us in the know knew this was coming weeks ago.  I wish I could have said something sooner, but you know how that goes.  I like being IN the loop, don't want to be cut out of it lol

That said, this thread is for your nice thoughts about Keith.  Please do not merge this with the Freeman Resigns thread...that thread is for reaction to that.  This is kind of a Freeman memorial service.

I have always enjoyed Keith.  He is a hard-nosed guy and he took Valpo to the peak at one point during his career.  Despite his single-minded focus and harsh nature on the court, he was quite a great guy off it.  He always had a pun to share or a kind word about the family.  That will be missed around the ARC...I'm hopeful that Bryce sees what this guy is about and brings him in as an associate head coach.  If not, rest assured a power 6 conference will come a-knockin to snatch him up as a key assistant.

Please feel free to share any good memories you have about Keith...save the criticisms or speculation on the future head coach for another thread.  May I request that we have a banner made featuring Keith's likeness, much like the rlh banner?  It wouldn't have to stay forever, but let's give this guy the respect he has earned.

vu72

Keith used to come to Minneapolis every year for our Valpo Athletics fund raiser golf tourney.  He didn't even play golf as I recall but was a great representative of the University.  I'll always remember one speak he made concerning his faith and how it impacted his players and himself.  Always had a great story about one of his players, their academic accomplishments etc.  I fine role model to be sure.  Good luck Keith!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Crusader03

Quote from: vu72 on March 15, 2012, 06:29:03 PM
Keith used to come to Minneapolis every year for our Valpo Athletics fund raiser golf tourney.  He didn't even play golf as I recall but was a great representative of the University.  I'll always remember one speak he made concerning his faith and how it impacted his players and himself.  Always had a great story about one of his players, their academic accomplishments etc.  I fine role model to be sure.  Good luck Keith!!

Classic Keith...not everyone got to see that side of him.  Glad you did.  Thanks for sharing, friend.

historyman

I wish Keith only good luck in his future endeavors.

It seems to me maybe Keith would make a better men's basketball coach.

Crusader03

Quote from: historyman on March 15, 2012, 06:33:24 PM

Bryce is doing a fine job...let's not get this debate going. 

historyman

Quote from: Crusader03 on March 15, 2012, 06:34:06 PM

Not at Valpo. Maybe a lower Division men's basketball program and start working his way back up quickly.

okinawatyphoon

Who in their right minds would think he was referring to replacing Bryce with Keith?  :crazy:
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Crusader03

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on March 15, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

Who in their right minds would think he was referring to replacing Bryce with Keith?  :crazy:

The insults are not needed here...

valpotx

Good luck Keith.  He will find life, as I mentioned on the other thread.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on March 15, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

No problem. You have to remember this is Crusader03's thread. He likes to read things into poster's words and get defensive. I should have explained exactly what I meant. This is why I sometimes can get wordy.

valporun

historyman, Crusader03 definitely read into your comment a little too much. While you did say "men's basketball coach", you didn't refer to a specific school.

Valpo89

I've always been and always will be a big Keith Freeman fan. He was a breath of fresh air after the last women's coach left campus.
Keith has a great basketball mind, and I have also thought that he would be a good men's coach. Not saying at Valpo, just saying he could be a good men's coach and maybe he wouldn't have the added drama that goes along with coaching women.

valpo84

We wish Keith nothing but the best. Winningest Women's Coach, couple NCAAs (and a great game against was it Minnesota?), first Horizon League tourney win, etc. He was a good guy and a friend to alumni and the University. He worked through lots of the same issues Homer did during the 90s and 00s -- facilities, practice space, locker rooms, etc. His success will pave the way for the next coach to build on from a much higher starting point than what Keith had to do. Sometimes though a change is needed to push the process to the next level. I think that was the case with the baseball team -- Twenge did a great job, but couldn't get over the last hurdles, Woodson is ready to break through. Hopefully, that's the case here, the next coach has big shoes to fill. good luck and Godspeed Keith.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

Crusader03

Thanks to everyone who is trying to keep this positive and focused on Keith!  Lot's of great comments and stories and I will be sure to let him know that he should check this thread out.

For those of you causing problems by making this thread about me instead of KEITH (the typical bunch, no one is surprised, I'm sure), I hope you're proud of yourselves.  We're here to honor a legend and you are....well, you know what...I'll hold my tongue (as usual)  :-X

StlVUFan

Quote from: valpo84 on March 16, 2012, 11:07:34 AM
We wish Keith nothing but the best. Winningest Women's Coach, couple NCAAs (and a great game against was it Minnesota?),

Kansas State.  I think it was played at Minnesota.

valporun

valpo84, our two NCAA trips were against Purdue in 03, and Kansas St. at Minnesota in 04. Both were fun games, we were overmatched and first timers in 03, in 04, we knew what we were getting into, and had the same team back, for the most part.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on March 16, 2012, 11:49:54 PM
valpo84, our two NCAA trips were against Purdue in 03, and Kansas St. at Minnesota in 04. Both were fun games, we were overmatched and first timers in 03, in 04, we knew what we were getting into, and had the same team back, for the most part.

I want to say Jennifer Grey was the only Senior on the 03 team?

valporun

That's Jeanette Gray, and I think you're right about that? If I remember right, Gray came in when we still had a strong upperclass in 1999-2000 with Campbell, Newcomer, Stricklett, Lentschow(sp?), and the like, then the 7-win season in 2000-2001, Jeanette's sophomore year with Hammel, Knoester, Schober, and all that. After that, she took the leadership and built the team up to be a WNIT qualifier in 2002, then back-to-back NCAA appearances in 03 and 04, even if she graduated in 03, her leadership was still there with Bechtold, Gutowski, Knoester, Baugher, Stangler, and Boone.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on March 17, 2012, 12:05:00 AM
That's Jeanette Gray, and I think you're right about that? If I remember right, Gray came in when we still had a strong upperclass in 1999-2000 with Campbell, Newcomer, Stricklett, Lentschow(sp?), and the like, then the 7-win season in 2000-2001, Jeanette's sophomore year with Hammel, Knoester, Schober, and all that. After that, she took the leadership and built the team up to be a WNIT qualifier in 2002, then back-to-back NCAA appearances in 03 and 04, even if she graduated in 03, her leadership was still there with Bechtold, Gutowski, Knoester, Baugher, Stangler, and Boone.

Jeanette.  Duh ;)  Who the hell was I thinking of when I said Jennifer?  :crazy:

Knoester - seems like I saw her at the ARC once this year.  I still remember her in 03 and/or 04 having a whale of a tournament, hitting a 3 against UMKC I wanna say and pumping her fist big time as she came back down the court because it was such a crucial one.  I know one of the two years, ORU dispatched the WIU Zane Teilanes, did we beat them the other year (in the semis both times, I think)?

chef

valporun

I believe you are correct about WIU and Fightin' Zane Teilanes beating out ORU those two years. So many games in so little time with both tourneys going on simultaneously. In terms of what you were thinking about Gray, were you just watching Dirty Dancing?

VULB#62

Pgmado

Crusader03, what basis do you have for saying the athletic department made a last ditch effort to try to get him to stay?

valpotx

I think 03 got rid of his name on this forum, as it doesn't look like he has stats anymore.
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Well, I guess if you can't make up any more lies, then it's time to leave.