• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

And so it begins: Chicago Trib mentions Bryce for Northwestern coach

Started by valpopal, March 17, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Looks like coach "Nep" is chasing the money. Can't blame him,hell the KSU coach just signed with USC for $12M over six years. Show them the money and they will come. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm tired of this Drew bulls--t. It will either be now or later,so let's end it once and forever. Go Bryce (Nep),GO! >:(

bbtds

Quote from: setshot on March 28, 2012, 08:32:24 AM
Looks like coach "Nep" is chasing the money. Can't blame him,hell the KSU coach just signed with USC for $12M over six years. Show them the money and they will come. I don't know about the rest of you but I'm tired of this Drew bulls--t. It will either be now or later,so let's end it once and forever. Go Bryce (Nep),GO! >:(

So this is an attempt to show anger at Bryce possibly leaving, correct? This is not an attempt to say Bryce is not a good head coach, correct?

If true, then I still don't believe the word nepotism (or slang "Nep") fits here. I believe this is your way of expressing your anger but in a way that is not fruitful to the discussion and really just meaningless derogatory comments.

agibson

What a funny thread!  Hilarious to see relatively sedate, long-standing members of this community explode at the (fairly innocent... so far) return of a provocateur from ages past.  (If he was on proboards, I think he predated my time there.)

And great to see setshot revert to form... after so recently celebrating Bryce's season and retiring his (dis?)honorary title.

As for MSU (do two schools use that?  I guess we share VU with Villanova)

Quote from: valpotx on March 28, 2012, 02:05:57 AMWell, he didn't interview at Tulsa, but DID interview with Mississippi State on Monday!  ESPN reports he was supposed to speak with Tulsa on Tuesday, but wasn't interested in coaching at Tulsa, as we figured.  This MSU interview has me much more worried, as they can provide a much better overall package and structure than Tulsa.  Hopefully just some feeling out on his part for a few years from now. 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7745899/mississippi-state-bulldogs-interview-bryce-drew-valparaiso-crusaders-sources-say

Probably more interesting than Tulsa.  But, this doesn't really sound like an "interview".  Bryce was in-town anyhow to see Baylor play.  It's not _quite_ as simple as interviewing at the Final Four (where I can imagine everybody who's anybody in the game is represented, already).  MSU probably did come out specifically to meet with him, and maybe some other candidates.  But, it doesn't sound too far beyond the "phone interview" stage.  Bryce, if he wanted, could have treated this pretty casually.  "They want to sit down and chat, OK, let's chat."  Pretty different from a multi-day visit to campus.

vu72

I'm just wondering what was said to our two new players.  I can't imagine Bryce's future didn't come up, like in "OK, if I come to play at Valpo, what about you? I'm coming because of the style of play, the great facilities, but, most importantly, that YOU are the coach.  So, will YOU be the coach next year?" 

I doubt Bryce would lie to a kid and if he said he wasn't sure about coaching at Valpo, do you really think the players would have committed this early?  Just sayin...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I guess I could google it, but does Miss St have trouble graduating athletes?  Schools in the SEC don't have the greatest track record in regards to athlete academics, outside of Vanderbilt/Texas A&M/Missouri
"Don't mess with Texas"

Eaglebackr

Quote from: Pgmado on March 28, 2012, 06:12:53 AMLooks like Eaglebackr deserves an apology from some people :)

Apology accepted.

StlVUfan:  if you will turn in your hymnal to Page 4 of this thread, you will see I said "reportedly", not "reported".  HUGE difference in meaning.

And, Sparty:  nice to see you join the fray AFTER my exit.  You remind me of the guy who acts like he wants to fight, while posturing behind the guys "holding him back".

Well, I'm right here, sport:  big butt to the door, looking you right in the eye.  "You want a piece of me?  YOU GOT IT!!"

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on March 28, 2012, 09:39:16 AM
I'm just wondering what was said to our two new players.  I can't imagine Bryce's future didn't come up, like in "OK, if I come to play at Valpo, what about you? I'm coming because of the style of play, the great facilities, but, most importantly, that YOU are the coach.  So, will YOU be the coach next year?" 

I doubt Bryce would lie to a kid and if he said he wasn't sure about coaching at Valpo, do you really think the players would have committed this early?  Just sayin...

Bullseye!  If Bryce was going to look at other jobs, he would have told these guys before they committed.  No way he turns his back on those guys, as well as the roster of guys he recruited to Valpo.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Eaglebackr on March 28, 2012, 10:28:29 AM

StlVUfan:  if you will turn in your hymnal to Page 4 of this thread, you will see I said "reportedly", not "reported".  HUGE difference in meaning.

Noted.  In the context in which you used it, it was quite reasonable to interpret it as "reported".  Obviously that doesn't make that interpretation correct, just reasonable.

agibson

[To be perfectly clear, these are all hypothetical quotes.  Nothing actual.]

"I'm keeping my options open, but my family's here, I grew up here, I think I could be happy here for many years to come."  I have no idea what Bryce is thinking.  But, I can imagine there are ways to spin it so that 1)If he leave's he's not mislead players, and that 2)Don't send them running. 

Is it a stronger pitch to say, "I have no intentions of leaving in the next four years.", or "I'll definitely be here, God willing, for the next four years."?  Maybe.  Is it necessary?  Probably not.

IrishDawg

No matter what he said to the recruits, circumstances change.  I doubt John Groce, who at least appears to be slated to take over the IL job told his recruits coming to Ohio next season that he would consider jumping ship if a big payday came along.  He's also got his strongest team coming back next year at OH.  So did Lickliter at Butler when he left for Iowa.  Not that I have any idea if he'll go one way or the other, but if he does, you'd almost rather he do it when you guys do have a strong team coming back next season.  At least that way the impact wouldn't be the same as if he did it after next season when half the team graduates.  Good luck either way, it's a very nerve racking situation no matter which way it goes.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 28, 2012, 10:59:08 AM"I'm keeping my options open, but my family's here, I grew up here, I think I could be happy here for many years to come."  I have no idea what Bryce is thinking.  But, I can imagine there are ways to spin it so that 1)If he leave's he's not mislead players, and that 2)Don't send them running. 

Is it a stronger pitch to say, "I have no intentions of leaving in the next four years.", or "I'll definitely be here, God willing, for the next four years."?  Maybe.  Is it necessary?  Probably not.

Gibson, are you quoting an article or making up a hypothetical quote for Bryce there?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Purely hypothetical (modified the post to reflect that).  I'm not suggesting they're even plausible.  Just exploring possible answers if a recruit asks, "Will you be here for the next four years?  I heard on some internet message board, that you're going to Tulsa."

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: agibson on March 28, 2012, 11:39:54 AM
Purely hypothetical (modified the post to reflect that).  I'm not suggesting they're even plausible.  Just exploring possible answers if a recruit asks, "Will you be here for the next four years?  I heard on some internet message board, that you're going to Tulsa."

Oh good.  Sorry, that makes sense, but when in a state of DEFCON 3 here one reads much more (or less) into things than one should, in the absence of definitive information one way or the other.  Thanks, and I agree with you on that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

As IrishDawg notes this whole interviewing thing could have materialized after our new transfers committed.  Besides, he could still be loyal to them.  All he has to do is take a page out of the Brad Brownell play book and take them with.  They could very easily say, "I committed to play for Coach Drew.  The fact that it's at an SEC school rather than a Mid Major with no commitment to competitive athletic facilities (added for 72's benefit) makes it even better."

hoopfan22

Eaglebackr

From Chris Dortch, Editor of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook in Chattanooga, via Twitter:

"Word is Bryce Drew to Miss St is a done deal. Good move."

vuweathernerd

oren tweeted the same thing. lord, i hope this isn't true.

vuweathernerd

but if it is the case, where should we start in our search for another new coach?

wh

vuweathernerd

from jason king via twitter:

Bryce Drew has interviewed at Miss St, but reports that it's a "done deal" are far - very far - from true.

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

For those who question suggestions that Valpo needs to commit to new facilities, I note that among the enticements Mississippi State has to offer Bryce is a brand new $11.2 million state of the art basketball practice facility:

http://www.hailstate.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&PALBID=348253

MattCarter

Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2012, 04:02:53 PMFor those who question suggestions that Valpo needs to commit to new facilities, I note that among the enticements Mississippi State has to offer Bryce is a brand new $11.2 million state of the art basketball practice facility: http://www.hailstate.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&PALBID=348253
Im with ya...I say pay the man and build.  That is a whole lot easier than trying to rebuild from ground zero...which is what we would have if Bryce leaves now. 
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

wh

Quote from: valpopal on March 28, 2012, 04:02:53 PM
For those who question suggestions that Valpo needs to commit to new facilities, I note that among the enticements Mississippi State has to offer Bryce is a brand new $11.2 million state of the art basketball practice facility:

http://www.hailstate.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&PALBID=348253

If I win the $500 Million Mega Millions jackpot on Fri. night, the first thing I will do is fix the facility problem.  Book it!